• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Tears in the Rain - Umbrella Discussion

HylianArgonian

Immediate Past President of the Being Alive Club
Reaction score
Steam
HylianArgonian
Filia Eliza Unknown
What exactly does Hungern do? With Parasoul, we know she can kick ass, utilise the Egrets to help her and Krieg cries napalm, but Umbrella is just a child and it definitely does not look like Hungern does anything but look weird. It's design is more 'organic' compared to Krieg, sporting actual eyes and eyelashes, but other than that, there's really nothing in particular that stands out about Hungern since it doesn't really play a role in Parasoul's story besides Umbrella carrying it around and saying that it's going to eat strawberry ice cream and Umbrella is going to get chocolate-flavoured when they get the chance.

As for Umbrella herself, she's just a kid who's probably younger than Peacock, so obviously if she's not backed up by the Egrets at the very least, she's not going to be very strong at all. What could/can she do besides tote around a creepy-looking umbrella?

From what I know Hungern can turn into different kinds of mouths.
Gameplay-wise, I think she can hold and charge moves (?). I see her as a more patient sort of character that waits for you to make a mistake and hits you with a fully-charged attack for big damage or something.

Always imagined this character as having giant ass normals and a tiny hurtbox, it's probably for the best she's not playable since that would have been irritating to fight

I've also always kinda figured she'd get Zero j.C, dunno why

Thanks again for optimizing my Peacock combo, Caio!

Hungern in my mind's eye all ways reminded me of Gluttony from FMA. So why not having having specials that use his mouth, like eating a projectile and being able to spit it back out (at .8 the damage of the original projectile but at 1.5 the normal speed of it and you can have two players playing bella ball with it.) Or a command grab that you can convert off of. IDK let's get nuts here in the ideas apartment.

Check the dlc character page from the igg. The standout was Hungern doing more damage the longer he wasnt used (like Wario fart).

image.jpg

Always imagined this character as having giant ass normals
Umbrella confirmed for Hornet Bomber

Umbrella seems like a character who attacks with big normals and pokes and waits to build up her power and then picks the perfect time to use her character specific mechanic/meter and which allows her to do a silly amount of damage.

She's Hakumen.

3rd DLC Character Concepts said:
DLC_Umbrella.png

The younger princess of the Canopy Kingdom, Umbrella is drawn into the current conflict by a familiar presence. She has grown up sheltered from the full circumstances surrounding her mother's death. What effect will the truth have on her?

Playstyle Speculation
Umbrella’s living weapon, Hungern, has an insatiable appetite. Choose between using Hungern to end special moves for extra advantages throughout the match, or let his hunger build up for more damage later.

Hungern takes on the shapes of various nightmarish mouths as it tries to consume the enemy, ranging from horse heads to anemones. Expect lots of teeth! Some of its attacks may have a bit of a Takashi Murakami vibe to them.

Gameplay Inspiration
Holy Order Sol (Guilty Gear: Accent Core), Wario’s fart (Super Smash Brothers Brawl), Roll (Marvel vs Capcom / Tatsunoko vs. Capcom), May (Guilty Gear series), Shuma-Gorath (Marvel Super Heroes)

== All character playstyle speculation and gameplay inspirations are subject to change,
and may be different in the final version ==

I moved this thread from Lore into the kind of confusingly named Non Gameplay Discussion forum. It's actually totally fine to talk about speculative gameplay of non-released characters in here.... might need to look at renaming this section...
I've also renamed the thread and made this the general Umbrella discussion thread, so talk about everything related to the Princess of Salt in here.

Umbrella is probobably the cutest thing i have ever seen :3 also umbrella might get in no one nows whats after their vaccation ;)more likely than annie getting in the first game

Double_Hungern (2).jpg
Double_as_Umbrella.png
245170_screenshots_2013-10-30_00005 (2).jpg
Yep colored versions C):9 (anyone want to play a game of spot that salt
Sketch216205931.png
gloss1.png
gloss-5.png

Last edited:
I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but I have a minor lore question.

How does Umbrella feel about having the Egrets (Adam in particular) having to follow her around and keep her safe? On one hand, when Parasoul yet again leaves her behind, she complains that she's "sick of being stuck here with your stupid bodyguards", but in the Glass Canopy background she's dancing with Adam and seems completely happy. I know it's nitpicky, but I'm curious.

I know I'm a bit late to this thread, but I have a minor lore question.

How does Umbrella feel about having the Egrets (Adam in particular) having to follow her around and keep her safe? On one hand, when Parasoul yet again leaves her behind, she complains that she's "sick of being stuck here with your stupid bodyguards", but in the Glass Canopy background she's dancing with Adam and seems completely happy. I know it's nitpicky, but I'm curious.

Maybe in the first example, Umbrella is just pissed at not being allowed to follow her sister on another adventure where Parasoul beats up baddies with pool balls, KFC combos and Sonic Boobs. In the second, she's a good mood for whatever reason. Maybe she dosen't like the "generic" Egrets and only likes Adam. Maybe she was throwing a fit because she was bored. Kids can be odd like that.

As for Umbrella gameplay, I keep on imagining normals with rather big hitboxes, a small hurtbox, but few ways of getting close to the opponent safely and mostly unsafe on block attacks. Maybe Hungern losing his "extra advantages" overtime or after too much blocking. And maybe a double jump after which she floats down safely from the sky using Hungern as a parachute? Either way, I'd totally play her. Hungern is cool-looking in a creepy way.