• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Big Bando Husbando Combo Threadando

What about Double's?
Double's Air Grab hits assists and gets Double Snaps all the time.
Is it a real hit or something else?
Should have clarified no GROUND throws, because the discussion was comboable things. Yeah, Double's airthrow ends in a real hit and I should really fix it...

@Mike_Z Just out of interest, what is the reasoning for certain grabs having hitboxes on last hit while others don't?
Initially it was only possible to have hitstop on the opponent from real hits, so those grabs that needed hitstop at the end got real hits. I fixed that later (like...on Squigly I think?) so I didn't have to do it any more. :^P

Reactions: Lex and dekillsage
fix it...
Oh it was a mistake..
I always thought it was wack because of how good it is at getting a free assist kill if they up back + assist...

Oh it was a mistake..
I always thought it was wack because of how good it is at getting a free assist kill if they up back + assist...
Copypasta from Painwheel.
End of thread derail? :^)

hi here's the big band stuff i do with axe assist. works on every char and also from throw, just do ebrake 5LP 2MPMP
(O.o) but

dumb corner taunt timpani bullshit into hard kd or burst bait kd or 2muchdamage:
Worth noting (here too I guess) that if you already used up your OTG, they can ground tech after they hit the floor and they will not burst. OTG-used setups never provide the knockdown/burst false choice.

Reactions: TheCrankMachine
oh. i guess everyone is bad and doesn't attempt ground techs oops.

worth noting tho from the jHP in that burst bait setup, you can airthrow with 7jump, or just wait the smallest amount for jLK for a hit/throw mixup instead of burst baiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: gllt

including the dummy, last i checked. i had it set to ground tech during several of these not-actual-burst-tech-trick-because-i-used-my-otg things and it just laid there on the ground. intentional or me not setting up my training mode settings right @Mike_Z ?

including the dummy, last i checked. i had it set to ground tech during several of these not-actual-burst-tech-trick-because-i-used-my-otg things and it just laid there on the ground. intentional or me not setting up my training mode settings right @Mike_Z ?
Dummy won't because dummy sees "can burst, don't tech". People, however, can. Try it vs a recording.

Reactions: gllt
I'm always worried I'll get the timing wrong and get burst, so I never attempt to ground tech setups like these, even though I know you can

you have to do it a lot later than you're used to, I don't think it's that hard with a bit of practice but obviously in a match is different than training and it is kind of one of those things where you can try it for big reward but big punishment if you mess up

I feel embarrassed to ask this after playing this character for as long as I have been, but it keeps happening to me and I see it happen to other players as well. In Big Bands bnb, during the final restand part, or this part:

s.MK
j.LP, j.LK, j.MK
c.LP (x2), c.MP (x2), s.HK xx HK A Train

The c.LP whiffs a lot for me because sometimes the opponent is spaced too far away. Do I need to do the j.MK as late as possible? Do I need to c.LP earlier BEFORE the opponent hits the ground? Do I need to microdash after I land with j.MK? In order to avoid this problem I just started using c.LK which has more range, but that doesn't work on Squiggly.

The c.LP whiffs a lot for me because sometimes the opponent is spaced too far away. Do I need to do the j.MK as late as possible? Do I need to c.LP earlier BEFORE the opponent hits the ground? Do I need to microdash after I land with j.MK? In order to avoid this problem I just started using c.LK which has more range, but that doesn't work on Squiggly.
Try using s.LP

Reactions: fenster
You need to make sure that the j.MK hits the opponent standing. If it hits them in the air they are knocked further away.

The timing on the jump cancel from the s.MK, the timing for the j.LK and the j.MK are all factors.

I never have this problem doing the j.mkx2 fastfall, it varies between +14 and +9 after you land so it's pretty easy with a bit of practice.

You need to make sure that the j.MK hits the opponent standing. If it hits them in the air they are knocked further away.

The timing on the jump cancel from the s.MK, the timing for the j.LK and the j.MK are all factors.

I do j.LP, j.LK as early as possible and j.MK as late as possible. Against Valentine I haven't found a good way to consistently hit c.LP(x2) after j.MK, so I just use c.LK. In fact I usually just use c.LK because it's more consistent overall. c.LK Might whiff on Squiggly, I seem to remember it whiffing on her. You might have to do something else. This combo seems to always give me weird problems against Valentine and Squiggly which is why I posted in the first place.

In this game I try to have as few combo exceptions as possible even if I lose a bit of damage. c.LK after j.MK isn't optimal damage but it just works if I screw up the timing of something. I could also just omit j.MK completely and make it universal, which is what I use to do, but that loses a pretty decent amount of damage.

So I guess it's j.LP, j.LK, j.MK (late as possible), c.LK against the whole cast, and do something else on Squiggly (maybe s.LP?)

edit: maybe all of this would be a non issue if I learned how to do it with j.MP

Last edited:
You should probably just be using sLP all the time, it's not like you lose THAT much damage when you use it at the end of a combo (versus cLP or cLK) and its 5000x easier too.

Practice the link particularly against Squigly and Ms. Fortune. Personally, my preference is with c.LP(x2) universally because it's more time for me to think what I want to do after I finish the combo, along with optimized damage etc. Focus on hitting restand j.mk after j.lp j.lk as close to the character and just practice getting the link from j.mk to c.lp(x2). It should work on everyone, I've made sure of that reviewing my BnBs as of late. Fortune and Squigs are the slipperiest, but then again, that's because they are Fortune and Squigs.

im terrible with charge type attacks in combos....I developed these derpy combos as a reminder I need to work on my bb. this is the best I can do so far with him. the corner one, I can do more damage in a corner than this vid, but I love this combo because.....s.hk is too funny!

Glad someone is using Big Band with H Bypass assist. I think that's a really interesting assist for him. Because it's a single hitting assist, I think it adds the most damage if you do it early in the combo. Something like,

c.LK c.MK s.HK + call Val xx L Brass,
c.MK s.HP,
etc

I believe you can also use it to get conversions off Cymbals and L Brass, making Big Band's poking game much scarier.

Reactions: Karr
Hey I posted some stuff with H Bypass 1 page ago, check it out Karr.
I would try to find more stuff with H bypass assist, but my Val always dies before I get a chance to try it out.
Also would help if my pc weren't so dead right now.

Reactions: Karr
Hey I posted some stuff with H Bypass 1 page ago, check it out Karr.
I would try to find more stuff with H bypass assist, but my Val always dies before I get a chance to try it out.
Also would help if my pc weren't so dead right now.

I can work off one of your combos, the other has too many charges in it and I know I would struggle. thanks!

also I think H bypass assist makes M brass kinda safe? idk I never got to test it.

Edit: I do know that you do get a free combo if brass hits tho. It's great.

slams head on table.

I give up on Excell assist. time to go full Lock and Loads from here on out.

Reactions: Mike_Z
[video]
I like the hell out of that.

I think you might get more damage (and have a practical starter) by starting with c.LK->c.MK->s.HP xx tk'd L Cymbals? It scales way less. You can alter the beginning to:
c.LK->c.MK->s.HP xx tk L Cymbals, M Brass, catch with c.LP(1)->c.MP->c.MP->s.HK xx HBrass + Excella to get more damage with the same undizzy use (125).

Last edited:
I like the hell out of that.

I think you might get more damage (and have a practical starter) by starting with c.LK->c.MK->s.HP xx tk'd L Cymbals? It scales way less. You can alter the beginning to:
c.LK->c.MK->s.HP xx tk L Cymbals, M Brass, catch with c.LP(1)->c.MP->c.MP->s.HK xx HBrass + Excella to get more damage with the same undizzy use (125).
yup that works pretty well.

So this combo does less damage for 1 bar 8.3k BUT you can swap out the super for Burst Bait leaving you at +2 frames. Just enough to go into flight mode and call an assist.

yup that works pretty well.

So this combo does less damage for 1 bar 8.3k BUT you can swap out the super for Burst Bait leaving you at +2 frames. Just enough to go into flight mode and call an assist.

What's the point of calling the assist early if it won't hit? I remember seeing a ToD from before Undizzy that had dash assists in it. The poster claimed that they were necessary, but didn't state why. I'm guessing something different happens the second time you call the assist?

I have dreams about combos in SG. I think I need help.

I brought to life this dumb thing that's completely and totally impractical, just to get it out of my head and so that I stop thinking about it. It has super tight timing all around. Not much point, really, but I guess it's interesting.

Prerequisites:
• Opponent is in the air
• Opponent is about 2/3 launcher height

11,084 damage

j.lp, j.lk, j.mp
j.mk x2, j.hp
j.mk x2, j.hp
j.mp, j.hp, j.hk xx Tympany Drive (Charged)
Cerecopter assist, j.lp, j.lk, j.mk x2, j.hk xx Tympany Drive
c.lp x2, c.lk, c.mp x2, s.hk xx HK Take the "A" Train xx SSJ

[Note: you can swap out Cerecopter with any high-hitting lockdown assist]

It has a j.lp air-to-air starter, but the combo itself isn't meant for a CH. However, you're going to be getting a CH anyway if you even manage to land an air-to-air j.lp. I might re-work this if there's a chance of it becoming practical. I think (?) the choice of attacks is fairly efficient, though there are probably improvements to be made. The first few chains are all aerial so that IPS doesn't start as quickly and so that undizzy doesn't build up until the third chain.

Only really works in the corner because of charged tympany and j.mk in the second and third chains.

EDIT: This combo is so difficult, I can't even post a video of it. I did it once and I can't recreate it. I can't even get past the third chain, but even then I drop the combo right after the tympany bell.

Last edited:
Out of uncharged Timpani Drive, you can actually combo with sound stun instead of OTG by doing j.lk (two hits out of three), j.mp xx MK Cymbals.

This is basically the same as charged Timpani, except it doesn't deal that juicy unscaled damage at the end of a charged Timpani. Still, you can do some crazy stuff with it that wouldn't normally be possible.

With this in mind, you should be able to substitute that little chain after an uncharged Timpani if you want to emulate a combo that uses charged Timpani without actually having the charge. In the end, it's using the same resources, but it'll lock out j.lk, j.mp, and cymbals from IPS and it'll also deal less damage. If you're using your charge earlier in the combo (charged SSJ is great), then it's not actually dealing less damage at all, and you can get crazy high-damage combos by combing out of charged SSJ as well as using Timpani for scaled bonus damage.

This might be character specific, but I doubt it. j.lk should hit, no matter what character, though the j.mp could be a little fishy on smaller hurtboxes.

Out of uncharged Timpani Drive, you can actually combo with sound stun instead of OTG by doing j.lk (two hits out of three), j.mp xx MK Cymbals.
You can just do j.MK xx HK Cymbals...

You can just do j.mk before the opponent lands and do the same followup you would if you used the otg, just get the opponent as high above you as you can before the last hit.

You can just do j.MK xx HK Cymbals...

Seems like that works on mediums and heavies, and j.lk works on BB and maybe Double as well.

I'm not posting a video, but I managed to pull this off in training with the use of save states. Contender for the most difficult BB combo?

BB specific, 2 meter. Damage is irrelevant.
Jump-in, no CH, against a standing BB. Funnily enough, this is even harder (if not out-right impossible) against an initially airborne BB, despite the first four chains being all aerial attacks.

j.lp, j.mp, j.hp
j.lp, j.mp, j.hp
j.lp, j.mp, j.hp
j.lk, j.hp
s.hp
j.hk xx Timpani Drive
j.lk, LK Cymbals
j.mk x2, kara j.hp
c.lp x2, s.lk, c.mp x2, s.hk, HK "A" Train xx SSJ

This isn't intended for damage, but it's impossibly difficult to do. I don't know how many frames you have precisely, but you have to do three insanely hard chains in a row. j.lp, j.mp, j.hp is unbelievably difficult to pull off against BB, and it only works against BB because it whiffs on every other character. I'd estimate you have ~5 frames or so to get the timing right on j.mp, though it's probably either a lot more or a lot less than that. j.lp, j.mp is easy, but you need to do j.mp late enough that it won't whiff and early enough that j.hp won't whiff. Doing this three times in a row is extremely difficult.

After the third chain, things get a bit easier, but the timing's still pretty tight. The j.mk restand after LK cymbals from the top of the screen is fairly difficult to do on BB, but if it lands correctly then you're on the right track. After the kara j.hp land cancel into c.lp, the end of the combo should be muscle memory.

I don't really know what combocrafting like this is doing for me, but it's teaching me quite a bit about combos, so I may as well keep at it.

EDIT: For gllt.

EDIT 2: Bonus 13k that's also extremely difficult:

CH 2 meter w/ charge

s.hk, HP Brass xx SSJ (Charged) (-100) [7630]
c.mp x2, s.hp (-50) [8070]
j.mk...x2, j.hp (0) [8610]
s.mk (20) [8730]
j.mp, j.mk...x2, j.hp (90) [9400]
j.lk, j.mk...x2, j.hp (155) [10060]
j.lp, j.mk...x2, j.hp (230) [10680]
c.lp...x2, s.lk, c.mp x2, s.hk, HK "A" Train xx SSJ (330) [12917]

Last edited:
Kanchou is a pretty cool assist for midscreen. You can do some high-damage stuff that normally doesn't work.

c.lk, c.mk, Kanchou assist, s.hk [kanchou lands after s.hk]
c.mk, s.hp
j.mp, j.hp, j.hk [tech forward]
s.lk, s.hp
Timpani Drive
j.lp, j.mp, MK Cymbals
c.lp x2, s.lk, c.mp x2, s.hk, HK "A" Train xx SSJ

9.7k for 2 meter, works against mediums. This is obviously terrible, but it's a neat proof of concept.

I'll probably try and work on some more efficient combos later. There's a lot of untapped potential with kanchou. OTGless HP brass midscreen makes me savor at the thought.

EDIT: One other cool thing. You can modify your spacing quite a bit by choosing between c.mp x2 and c.mk, both of which are polar opposites in terms of knockback. With this in mind, you can actually make kanchou trigger from the front instead of the back, allowing you to propel the opponent forward instead of backward. This is pretty neat as it allows you to control which corner you fling your opponent towards, which means that, as long as you're not in the absolute center of the stage, you have the opportunity to send the opponent toward a nearby wall and have them bounce over you.

Having the opponent flying right over your head like that is perfect for crossup resets. I don't really know which of BB's attacks would be capable of doing a reset like that. Maybe HP beat extend?

s.HK H Beat Extend, H A Train makes Big Band go under the opponent, which is useful for combos ending in level 3 (you cancel the H A Train during startup as soon as he goes on the other side into level 3). This is probably not optimised or universal but it was the simplest non assist thing I could find. Tried it on Filia

blah s.HK M Brass
c.MP c.MP s.HK H A Train E Brake
s.LP s.HP
j.MK j.HP
sj.LP j.LK j.MK
c.LK c.MK s.HK H Beat Extend H A Train~Level 3

Does like 11k on Filia.

You don't need to end with beat extend, you can just do s.hk delay M a-train (autocorrected) to side switch on the last chain if the opponent is high enough:

c.lk, c.mk, s.hk, M brass
otg c.mp x2, s.hk, H beat extend,
j.lk, j.mk,
s.lk, s.mk,
j.lp, j.lk, j.mk x2, j.hp,
c.lp x2, c.mp x2, s.hk, delay M a-train, lv3

did 12.2k on parasoul

just using s.mk in some way in the last chain can side switch a standing opponent, on parasoul, for example, just c.lpx2, s.lk, s.mk x2, s.hk M a-train works very nicely, it's worth it to look into it for the other characters.