• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The canon info thread - what we know

OK, from the new origins story on mobile:

King franz had the conquest UMBRELLA, Eoberung

Queen Nancy wish of peace was impure because she didn't trust his husband to be able to accomplish peace

Umbrella has never been told why her mother became the Skullgirl

Big band, Panzerfaustand and ileum were in the fight against Queen Nancy

Queen Nancy was way more powerful Skulgirl than any of her predecessors

Queen Nancy and King Franz killed each other

Screenshot_20180809-225442.jpg

Screenshot_20180809-225555.jpg

Screenshot_20180809-225558.jpg

Last edited:
I think the most terrifying part is that it took exactly 1 week of terror for everyone to realize how much a threat she was. 7 days....how much carnage did she do in such a short time?

Reactions: Shockdingo
I would think everyone already knows any new Skullgirl is automatically a threat.

I would think everyone already knows any new Skullgirl is automatically a threat.
That's not the point I was trying to make. It took 3 countries at war to not only stop fighting, focus all efforts on her alone...and they still almost lost. All those dead bodies lost in the brutal war must have gave her almost unlimited power

Avian confirmed in movile that Nancy was way more powerful than any previous skullgirl and that they were not prepared for her being so powerful.

Screenshot_20181126-005726.jpg

Bet you it's just Filia waking up with Samson on her head, still not answering any questions about how he got there.

Well I'll be damned. For once we might really get some actual lore and not just a retelling of things we already know.

Alright, update is live and im charging through now.
Story begins one year ago from the present, with Samson and his host, Dog, looking for a place to stay after getting tired of the street life and lack of shelter. They run into Carol, who finds them cute and wants to show them both to Filia. Carol would take them, but her family is allergic. Filia mentions that the duo could be more satisfyingsecurity than the thugs her good Uncle Vitale beinga around, and strikes a deal. Filia's parents aren'tso cool with parasites, however, so Filia tells Samson to lay low if they are stick around. (Its also noted that a parasite leaving a host is gonna end very badly for the host in question, and parasites only bail as a last resort because of this.) Nonetheless, Dog and Samson are welcomed into the Medici estate.

A year passes, Samson tries to get Filia out the house since she was grieving over Carol's disappearance. But despite his efforts, he only ends up reminding her of her missing friend. Samson considers leaving but is interrupted when a surprise Marie comes crashing in to scratch a few Medicis off her list. Filia pleads with her not to harm them, especially since they cut ties with Vitale and his crew ages ago, but Marie is determined to end the entire bloodline single handedly. However somethingweird happens...Marie seems to recall Filia and Samson from somewhere and stops her attack, demanding that she and her family should leave New Meridian at once of they value their lives, since there will be no mercy on their 2nd encounter. Samson ends up blowing his cover, but the Medicis welcome him, glad that he helped save their lives by confronting the Skullgirl.

Later that same evening, as Filia's parents begin packing, they are met by Vitale and Ottomo, surprised to see a Medici who survied the skullgirls onslaught...and then extremely suspicious when he noticed they were packing up. Vitale doesnt waste time before making his move, accusing them of colluding with the skullgirl and....acting accordingly. Just like with the Contiellos, the Medicis spare no quarter for those they believe ally with the Skullgirl. Filia is no different, as Ottomo opens fire on her. Samson, enraged, tries to fight, but is struck down, Dog killed in cold blood. Samson survives, and realizes Filia is barely breathing. With his host gone and not a lot of time left for Filia, Samson bonds with her and gets her to safety. But once Filia finally regains consciousness, she has complete amnesia, much to Samson dismay. And from there, the story ends.

Alright, update is live and im charging through now.
after looking it up online . . .
it sure looks like Samson has been rewritten as being way more noble kindhearted over his earlier/prototype forms, where he's usually more like huge, violent, loud-talking jerk or even outright villainous.

Oh yeah i forgot to add pictures to my synopsis.
Skullgirls_2019-06-05-01-05-37.jpg
Skullgirls_2019-06-05-01-05-29.jpg
Skullgirls_2019-06-05-21-20-25.jpg
Skullgirls_2019-06-05-01-46-17.jpg

Yeah I don't like this retcon at all. Turns out Filia was always sweet and innocent the whole time, just so happened to be totally disconnected from the mafia, and Samson's a hero? Come on, If there's no skeletons in anyone's closet here, why wouldn't Samson just tell her everything instead of leaving her in the dark?

I have a very, very, very hard time believing this is what Alex originally wrote, given how heavily implied it was that there were supposed to be some dark secrets.

with the origin story showing up now, I dug around and found an old synopsis by Alex for SG from 2006 (i guess a lot can change in 13 years)

Remember when Samson was described as a "totally unethical entity"? And things with Filia losing her memory get DAAAARK.

Yeah I don't like this retcon at all. Turns out Filia was always sweet and innocent the whole time, just so happened to be totally disconnected from the mafia, and Samson's a hero? Come on, If there's no skeletons in anyone's closet here, why wouldn't Samson just tell her everything instead of leaving her in the dark?

I have a very, very, very hard time believing this is what Alex originally wrote, given how heavily implied it was that there were supposed to be some dark secrets.
Don't forget alex also originally wrote peacock to be a villain, Cerebella to have an ending where vitale falls in love with cerebella and starys murdering everyone around him,etc. Also, i believe in one ending it was implied Filia ASKED for her memories to be wiped.

Samson still has a bunch of skeletons in his closetif Leviathans grudge is anythingto go bye, maybe something willcome of that

EDIT:
ff1-jpg.4617
A frame from one of the story modes in SGE in a blink and you miss it transition. Seems like the forshadowing for Dog and Samson qere already in place

Last edited:
So, uh we had a bit of a surprise today. The patch alert came in today...as well as the patch itself! So ill be digging through the story right now.

Story begins 14 years ago, with Double delivering her special gift of the Skullheart to the Contiellos. Selene, immediately sensing the danger of having such a bloodstained omen nearby, tries to talk to her husband, Roberto. However, Roberto has a toast and a surprise for her: the first live (lol) performance of Seinna! Just as she finishes her song ends Selene finally gets a moment to talk...or she would have if it wasnt for the sound of Gunfire. Black Dahalia and her goons show up demanding the Skullheart. When Selene feigns ignorance, Seinna is claimed as a hostage. Selene then admits she had received the heart and was prepared to hand it over. Dahalia taunts the family name, to which poor Seinna takes offense to. Dahalia is unamused, and shoots her at point blank. Selene, overcome with grief, wishes to save her family. Roberto with his dying breath, commands leviathan to go to Sienna and protect her from becoming a mindless minion. They part ways, and Selene as the Skullgirl begins her counterattack...

Squiggly eventually comes too...dead as a door nail. Leviathan fills her in on the details but notes some oddities. Zombies are usually under complete control of their masters, and parasites should be much weaker without a living host. Yet both of them are fine...for the most part. The duo decides to confront the skullgirl while trying to stay away from the Medicis. Sienna requests to be called Squiggly for now on, and the two head out.

Its not long before Squiggly finds her parents confronting Lorenzo and Dahalia. Squiggly tries to talk some sense into them, but fails, and almost ends up becoming a minion herself due to the hearts influence. She is able to stay her ground, but she doesnt have the heart to off them herself. Out of the blue, reinforcements arrive! D.Violet, Big Band, Panzerfaust, and Annie all arrive on the scene. Selene and her husband retreat, as do Lorenzo and Dahalia to the shadows.

Squiggly and the group discuss their next plan of action, but leviathan is less than thrilled about working with anyone who belongs with the Renoir faction. Annie noticed that Squiggly's parents didnt go all out on her, and suggests to use Squiggly as a lure so they can take them out. Leviathan is HIGH KEY MAD about this but a report comes in about the skullgirl minions hunting down citizens to swell up her army. In a densely populated city, they had to act immediately. Squiggly volunteers, and leviathan solemnly agrees to help her. With their combined might, squiggly and the gang defeat Roberto, and soon after Selene.

Skullgirls_2019-08-08-00-00-59.jpg

In her final moments of lucidity, Selene says shes proud of her daughter and fades away. Without the energy of the Skullgirl, squiggly and leviathan crumple to the ground, returning to the sweet sleep of death. Panzerfaust and Big Band kept squiggly a secret from the Labs, lest people like Brain Drain experiment on their bodies extensively. Lorenzo eventually claims squigglys body and holds their mockery funeral, and the two lie there until Marie rises.

Last edited:
Been a lonnnng time since I touched this thread. Not really been in the loop with Skullgirls for a while. Anyway in anticipation of Annie being released, I decided to clean and add to the first threads a bit. Doubt anyone is still using this though since the game's wiki pretty much seems to cover everything, but hey it's my thread so I'll do what I want. :P

Not really much changes though obviously since we have not had any new lore revelations apart from those that are included in official stories which aren't intended to be included here anyway. I added some info from the Limited Run's physical edition booklet (since not everyone will have access to those), and removed some info that has been confirmed or contradicted in official story.

However, there are a couple of points that are a bit weird. I am leaving them for now but if anyone has any knowledge or thoughts on it I'd appreciate it:

Cerebella:
- On her 18th Birthday she was entrusted with the knowledge of how to perform the "Patada Circular de la Familia de Veranos", a secret technique passed down from generations, which she executes with deadly precision"

From the Limited Edition booklet's staff note written by Mike. This is kinda weird one, so I'm not sure if it is supposed to be serious canon or a joke entry. If she was handed to the circus at a young age then who from her family taught her the secret technique? Is it some sort of reference that I'm not getting?

Squigly:
- While Roberto has Leviathan living in his shoulder, due to the stigma of having a Parasite, Leviathan would generally be hidden under a short cloak or a coat

This appears to be contradicted by his art in Squigly's Origin Story, since Leviathan is just hanging out in plain sight. Although it could just be that the portrait art is just "stylised" and doesn't show exactly what he looks in public? Seems weird that they would ret-con that Parasite users are severely discriminated in Canopian society, which seems to be a big deal.

Added more information from the Limited Run booklet and other information not available on the official website's character bios. Also fixed some misspellings and grammar here and there.

Cerebella:
- On her 18th Birthday she was entrusted with the knowledge of how to perform the "Patada Circular de la Familia de Veranos", a secret technique passed down from generations, which she executes with deadly precision"

From the Limited Edition booklet's staff note written by Mike. This is kinda weird one, so I'm not sure if it is supposed to be serious canon or a joke entry. If she was handed to the circus at a young age then who from her family taught her the secret technique? Is it some sort of reference that I'm not getting?

Squigly:
- While Roberto has Leviathan living in his shoulder, due to the stigma of having a Parasite, Leviathan would generally be hidden under a short cloak or a coat

This appears to be contradicted by his art in Squigly's Origin Story, since Leviathan is just hanging out in plain sight. Although it could just be that the portrait art is just "stylised" and doesn't show exactly what he looks in public? Seems weird that they would ret-con that Parasite users are severely discriminated in Canopian society, which seems to be a big deal.

For that Cerebella bit, since that technique translates roughly to "Circular Kick of the Veranos Family", I was going to guess it was her s. HK, but that one's already got a name (Adagio Swing), so I don't know.

I assumed that Selene's birthday was an event only including all of the Contiello family branches, so they would all be used to Roberto casually showing Leviathan off. It would be a convenient way for the Medicis to bump off the entire family all at once.

Reactions: Chrono_Tata
For that Cerebella bit, since that technique translates roughly to "Circular Kick of the Veranos Family", I was going to guess it was her s. HK, but that one's already got a name (Adagio Swing), so I don't know.

I assumed that Selene's birthday was an event only including all of the Contiello family branches, so they would all be used to Roberto casually showing Leviathan off. It would be a convenient way for the Medicis to bump off the entire family all at once.
Yeah the Cerebella stuff is still a mystery to me, although I have talked with someone from the dev team and there apparently aren't anything in her known canon that contradicts the statement directly, so it is a thing I guess. I still think it's weird though lol.

The party part makes sense. If the event was for close family and friends only I guess Roberto could be comfortable with it. I'll adjust the wording in the first post a bit accordingly.

Adding some more items I missed in the past (in particular, information from Reddit AMA and some items from St. Minority's call with Alex) and some spelling/grammar cleaning (the more I look the more I find!)

Last edited:
Added a small bit of lore which is found on the soundtrack CD that came with the Limited Run edition. Not a big piece of lore but I feel like it has some interesting implications:

According to the Skullgirls Special Selection Soundtrack cover (the CD that came with the Limited Run edition of the game), New Meridian is located on the "West Continent" (Note: interestingly, it says "New Meridian, West Continent" rather than listing the country, Canopy Kingdom. Since the soundtrack is supposedly recorded by Medici Recording Studio, perhaps it shows the Medici's disdain for the Renoir's rule?)

I literally came back here cause of a trivia tidbit from SG Mobile but I believe the Empire that Eliza, Venus, Aeon and Lamia were once a part of are called Golgotha. One, there's concept art for a proposed stage called Golgothan ruins, two, Golgotha means "place of the skull" and three, Golgotha was supposedly the place Jesus Christ was crucified. Given the Trinity's corrupted Christianity theme....

Screenshot_20210415-082344_Skullgirls.jpg

image0.webp

I literally came back here cause of a trivia tidbit from SG Mobile but I believe the Empire that Eliza, Venus, Aeon and Lamia were once a part of are called Golgotha. One, there's concept art for a proposed stage called Golgothan ruins, two, Golgotha means "place of the skull" and three, Golgotha was supposedly the place Jesus Christ was crucified. Given the Trinity's corrupted Christianity theme....
Good catch! Yeah, if anything this definitely confirms that Golgotha still exists in the current lore. The way it's worded in the text sounds like the civilization is called Golgotha.

I think the old Golgotha location may have been tied into the old Marie lore where she needed to travel to the "Temple of the Skull Girl" in order to complete her traditional Skull Girl journey. The Skullgirl journey doesn't seem to have bearing on the current lore now but given the etymology of Golgotha as you point out, it might still have something to do with the origin of the Skull Heart and the Skullgirl.

Reactions: CountofBleck
Update: Moved Umbrella up to playable character (wow wow!) and added a couple more lore tidbits Cellsai dropped in Discord lore chat.

- Hungern "is actually a bit different" from the other Renoir umbrellas
- Eroberung (the Living Weapon umbrella Franz used to defeat Nancy) is not something you want to use very much. It's part of the reasons No Man's Land is how it is

Reactions: Undeadtoon
Small update: based on a conversation between HoustonBoss and a dev on Discord, an update regarding the currency used by the Canopy Kingdom:

So the term "Bones" is apparently not be the "official" name of the Canopian currency but a slang term. It's also called "Canopy Coin" which is also the term used for one of the in-game currency in SGM. However, there is no decision on the official name of the currency yet.

The way I read this is that Bones is possibly used as a slang in the sense that "buck" is a slang for US Dollar and "quid" is a slang for GB Pound. I added a small note to this item in the first post pending further clarification if any.

EDIT: Confirmed the intention regarding slang term. However, "Bones" being the slang term is just the latest idea pitched and no final decisions has been made regarding the official name of the currency yet. Still in the air right now so no confirmation either way.

Last edited: