• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The General Comic Books Thread

SanoBaron

Delicious chewable Hubba-Bella
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Steam
RedRummage and for 3DS 3695-0329-5107
PSN
Sanoblaze
Cerebella Peacock
so, lots of comic book stuff going on what with movies, games, and whatnot.

so I figured, why not make a thread to our favorite pulp fiction media?

post whatever you feel like for comics.

and none of that left-wing right-wing Marvel/DC fanboyisms! I will have none of that!

so, I figured I'd also use this thread to also recommend some comic franchises and stories.

Usagi Yojimbo by Stan Sakai
9781560970637_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

my absolute favorite comic book series. Stan Sakai brings an amazing story of a samurai who has been dishonored and the adventures that lay before him. amazing characters, great artwork, action scenes that kids and adults can enjoy. if anything, pick it up just to get to the fourth volume, which is my favorite storyline in Usagio Yojimbo, The Dragon Bellow Conspiracy. its an amazing epic that will leave you speechless in the end.

Hellboy
51ybUVg56mL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

it's Hellboy. do I even need to go any further? Hellboy is amazing. pick it up!

Superman Red Son
1497745-superman_red_son.jpg

An amazing elseworld comic of what would happen if the last Son of Krypton landed in Soviet Russia instead of American soil. like, this is a great deconstruction of what Superman should always be. I love this story. pick it up.

Powergirl
1214904-power_girl.jpg

If you think Power Girl is just some lame female version of Superman and nothing but a pair of walking tits, kindly sit down and re-evaluate your life. and when you're done, pick up the comic that cemented Power Girl as my favorite super heroine. great writing, vivid characters, and Amanda Conner's art is AMAZING. I love it. definitely give it a try.

Shazam And the Monster Society of Evil
71Zf-KjBsKL.jpg

a whimsical story about a boy who becomes something extraordinary. Shazam: tMSoE is a great story, you cannot go wrong with this. You get the Big Red Cheese in all his glory, the magic is explained really well, and it gets really emotional near the end. definitely recommend picking this up.

and last but certainly not least:

Mavels by Kurt Busiek and art by Alex Ross
tumblr_mvuyxh7B9u1rcp7bmo1_1280.jpg

an amazing trip through the major events of the Marvel universe through the eyes of a single photographer. very emotional at times, but it really gives you the sense and wonder the marvel universe has to offer. definitely pick this up if you can and REALLY want to get into Marvel comics.

so, what comics would you guys recommend? and if you have read these comics, leave a reply down below about your thoughts on it! :) happy reading!

Reactions: KaboomKid
Stan Sakai is a great guy! One time I caught him just as he was heading out from a convention panel, and even though it was last minute, he still took the time to sketch in my book and chat with me a bit. He was all smiles! It's always inspiring to meet a man that loves his work that much, even after working all these years.

As for other comics, I finally got started reading Persepolis recently. I actually found both volumes, AND the movie, at a thrift store on the same day. I'd been meaning to read them for a looong time, and so far I'm enjoying the first volume. I remember there was significant time gap between the comics and the movie, so I'm curious what sort of differences in storytelling there'll be between them.

Feels like forever since I've been to a comic shop though. These days I tend to pick up things on Amazon or at the thrift store, but I miss having a comic shop close by. Really frustrated with myself for the lack of time for comics lately, but I'm glad that at least most of my backlog is actually on my bookshelf for a change. Once I wrap up Persepolis, I'll get started on this giant hardback I got for Sandman.

Also, gotta give shoutouts to Bone, because Bone. I didn't know Jeff started posting this stuff online, so definitely check it out if you haven't already!

which iteration of Sandman are you referring to?

cuz I have been interested in getting into Sandman. and I need to pick up more Marvel stuff. I'll start with GotG's volume 1.

This is the Absolute Sandman printing. I only have Volume 1 though, so I'll have to see about picking up the rest of the story afterwards somehow. I got it as a gift from a friend a couple years ago, but I wanted to go through some of my other books before I got started on it.

oh, I thought this was DC's Sandman. I didn't know there was another Sandman from a different company.

oh, wait. it is.

I assume this is the general comic thread and in that case.

Yo @SanoBaron what is the deal with Superior Spiderman?

putting it in a spoiler because of the "R-word"

people were saying that doc-brained Spidey was raping Mary Jane.

he wasn't. both characters were giving consent and Mary Jane didn't know about Oc controlled Pete.

it wasn't rape, it was extreme lying. still bad, but not as bad as people were making it out to be.

needless to say, people didn't care, and they said Spider-man was ruined.
because Spidey wasn't ruined beforehand.
4bc3a54fd62b2.jpg

nope, not at all.

Oh lord one more day, the comic where doom, reed richards and dr stange and every other comic book character who has advanced medical skills can do absolutely nothing at all to heal a bullet wound and that was just one of the many problems with it. I would say more but Linkara puts in better words than I ever could.

Also thanks for explaining what is up with Superior spiderman.

just let Aunt May die. she shatters to pieces every other month, makes Peter Parker act like a bitch when something goes wrong, and it forces him to stay the same and become clingy.

just, let her die.

and yeah, from what I heard, Superior Spider-man is very entertaining, and the people of tumblr flipped their shit over nothing, like they always do.

at least MJ didn't die from radioactive spider semen. cuz that happened in one alternate universe.

also, since Linkara was mentioned, I need to give an obligatory

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?!

Last edited:
Yeah it could have been an event where she passed on and spiderman gains a huge boost in himself after he gets over it.

And yeah the radioactive spider semen is also super dumb, I think I first remember hearing that from two best friends.

just let Aunt May die. she shatters to pieces every other month, makes Peter Parker act like a bitch when something goes wrong, and it forces him to stay the same and become clingy.

just, let her die.

and yeah, from what I heard, Superior Spider-man is very entertainging, and the people of tumblr flipped their shit over nothing, like they always do.

at least MJ didn't die from radioactive spider semen. cuz that happened in one alternate universe.[/spoiler]

It was entertaining because no one can write Peter Parker for shit anymore because they've run out of ideas how to use him, as OMD clearly showed. Having Doc Ock become Spidey was amazing twist that actually worked, and really gave us a lot of insight into both Pete and Otto. So naturally they, killed off Otto because Status Quo is god and Pete has to become 16 again because Spidey being an adult just isn't interesting to the mouth breathers who write for Marvel.

But it's still miles better than the New 52...

The good news is that no one ever stays dead in Comic Books. (Except Uncle Ben and Thomas and Martha Wayne.)

gwen_spiderwoman_final_lr_by_artgerm-d816arh.jpg

Reactions: SanoBaron
you know what? I disagree on how no one knows how to write Peter Parker anymore.

Gen Urobuchi knows how to really use the idea of "with great power comes great responsibility"
Kouta.png

he sacrifices so much for others, he owns up to his mistakes and doesn't push the blame on anyone but himself, he learns from his mistakes, he grows, and he becomes something truly incredible.

oh wait, that's not Spider-man. that's Kouta Kazuraba. from Kamen Rider Gaim. who has nothing to do with Spider-man.

why is it that an anime writer from Japan can write a better Spider-man than Marvel?

you know what? I disagree on how no one knows how to write Peter Parker anymore.

Gen Urobuchi knows how to really use the idea of "with great power comes great responsibility"
Kouta.png

he sacrifices so much for others, he owns up to his mistakes and doesn't push the blame on anyone but himself, he learns from his mistakes, he grows, and he becomes something truly incredible.

oh wait, that's not Spider-man. that's Kouta Kazuraba. from Kamen Rider Gaim. who has nothing to do with Spider-man.

why is it that an anime writer from Japan can write a better Spider-man than Marvel?

Fair enough, I'll rephrase. No one that Marvel hires knows how to write Peter Parker.

Reactions: SanoBaron
I'm reading an interesting comic called Blastosaurus. Basically, it's about an anthropomorphic mutant triceratops from the future who has time-traveled to the present day to stop the world they live in from falling into ruin. The art style's interesting, considering how the author is blind in one eye, and it's pretty good, even if the entire concept sounds a little immature.
blasto.jpg

Also, I really like Hellboy and Death Note (idk if Death Note counts since it's manga)