• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The "social media updates" thread - now with 99% less drama

More characters like Fukua.
Big Band, but with symphonic music.
Also, Goose Girl, my beloved, is going to enter the roster. Finally!
I knew it was coming.

Yeah, interesting that they specifically stated that it's more "new characters", but not quite. Some "remix" characters like Fukua or even Robo could be it, but would that even work well with how SGM operates? Different fighter variants pretty much already functions as a sort of remix character. Perhaps some non-full characters that would only be available to fight in singleplayer/PvE contents, like goons or other minor bosses?

Taking a more pessimistic/cautious view, it could mean that Future Club will not be dedicating as much time to develop new full characters for Skullgirls anymore, so for SGM to move forward they need to work with less art assets to create new characters to keep the game healthy.

On the more optimistic side, perhaps it just means they are planning to develop more characters but being intentionally vague or misleading to not overpromise.

Hmm thats very mysterious!

Possible clone of Valentine what with already changing the crosses?

Possible clone of Valentine what with already changing the crosses?
That would imply they would need to keep the old sprites with the cross though, and the whole point of the redesign is to get rid of it.

I was thinking they might have spent a bit of extra time to make some other alternate modifications.

Ultimately I dont think we can read too much into second encore with this. except skeleton

Reactions: Holy Goose
I was thinking they might have spent a bit of extra time to make some other alternate modifications.
Fair enough. I feel that's unlikely but I guess there's nothing we can really rule out at this point, without knowing what they intend to do post-Season 1.

Reactions: Holy Goose and tso

New Characters(ish) possibilities:​

• Double Omega - a new Double built entirely out of DLC characters moves
  • Juju - hyper-speed Parasoul that shoots like Happy Chaos with all Black Egret soldiers redrawn to be maskless and have Adam's face
  • Budget Venus - Eliza, but all Sekhmet moves replaced with Hungern tongue attacks
  • Bigger Band - Big Band, but upscaled so only half of him fits in the screen
they're gonna steal the moon system from melty
I tried to read a Melty Blood wiki article about it and left more confused than when I started

• Haha
Juju - hyper-speed Parasoul that shoots like Happy Chaos with all Black Egret soldiers redrawn to be maskless and have Adam's face
Finally, a way to implement Adam Dive (lost but not forgotten).

Budget Venus - Eliza, but all Sekhmet moves replaced with Hungern tongue attacks
Also the reason to implement Double Omega.

Noticed that one of her mats has what appears to be her sigil on it, which is a shattered Skull Heart.

Screenshot_20230518-112720.png

Interesting and thematically fitting that her boss version's sigil has a whole Skull Heart while her playable version has a shattered one.

Noticed that one of her mats has what appears to be her sigil on it, which is a shattered Skull Heart.

Interesting and thematically fitting that her boss version's sigil has a whole Skull Heart while her playable version has a shattered one.

Interesting, indeed! The new sigil can also be spotted in the Character Select screen clip.

Furthermore, someone commented that her new portrait art (?) doesn't feature the skull irises...

To be fair, marie does lack the skull irises in some official art as-is. Like the app icon for mobile or her boss sprites.

Attachments

• 1684366413110544.png
    1684366413110544.png
    343.6 KB · Views: 166
(fgc in general eating damn good this week - loving this)
Really, what a great time for the fans of fighting games. Amazing.

I really like that detail. It's amazing on multiple levels.

To be fair, marie does lack the skull irises in some official art as-is. Like the app icon for mobile or her boss sprites.
Time to engage in the conspiracy theories and speculation.
Let me believe that they knew exactly that they'll release that particular version of Marie. Because they really wanted to see some playable Skeletons.
They were hyping up our skeletal buddies for a long time now...
Can't blame them, because The Skeleton Team really is the best.

attack01_boss_marie_1p.png

You also can't see it most of the times in her boss version sprites. I think her skull eyes not appearing (all the time?) in her playable version probably has some lore implications, but the fact is it's just not drawn all of the time lol.

My guess it most likely it will be a similar deal to Umbrella where the skulls might reappear if she draws heavily from her SG power.

I mean, we already know that with playable Marie the Skull Heart won't be at full strength (even for her) and was, in-fact, shattered.
I feel like a lot of people are speculating over a question we were given an answer to a year ago with that one trailer.

The laser skeleton definitely has some lore implications since I don't think shooting lasers is a regular power of SG minions. As some people have noticed, the little bow on his horn must have some backstory.

I think her skull eyes not appearing (all the time?) in her playable version probably has some lore implications, but the fact is it's just not drawn all of the time lol.
But they would definitely not forget such important detail for a number if promotional images.
So, it boils down to the lore reasons :PUN:

edit: phew. so there's most of her moveset! Actually I think her moves are P/K split skeleton and vacuum
And it looks freaking awesome.
I really like that idea.
Makes a lot of sense, too.
I wonder how the rest of her moveset would look like, considering what we already have. Blockbusters, especially. Would she raise the dead en masse?

The laser skeleton definitely has some lore implications since I don't think shooting lasers is a regular power of SG minions.
Finally, we might have get the skeletons as important story characters. They were overlooked for too long.
Also, it's a nice theme for speculation.
For example, the Kawaii Laser Skeleton (amazing name, by the way) might be another war-time experiment.

Finally, we might have get the skeletons as important story characters. They were overlooked for too long.
Also, it's a nice theme for speculation.

Waiting for the reveal that all her skeletons have beef (lol) with the medici.

Waiting for the reveal that all her skeletons have beef (lol) with the medici.
Well, we already know that some of her minions were Medicis themselves...

Hi all. As you can see, all the posts related to the Content Update has been moved to a new thread. Any posts related to that should go there

A few weeks ago, Skullgirls Mobile announced a new variant for Filia featuring a palette based on Sonic the Hedgehog! Initially spotted at Marie's Combo Breaker appearance (in 2nd Encore), this palette stands out for the way Filia turns yellow when performing Blockbusters (to resemble Super Sonic). Fingers crossed this palette makes its way to 2nd Encore.
The color magic continues with a new variant for Annie, sporting a palette resembling Rose Quartz. It seems her colors change during Star Power.

This use of color changing has a lot of potential! And not just for all the really cool palettes they could make, lol.

By the way, was there any intention to bring the Number Cruncher (Robo-Fortune) and Fan Favorite (Beowulf) palettes to 2nd Encore?

In the past, all the palettes from SGM make their ways to 2E eventually so hopefully that will continue to be the case. 2E currently doesn't have a palette pack DLC (we used to until the 2E integration patch) so maybe they will put them all together and sell them in a pack at some point.

I think it would be great to have color schemes as free content you unlock by completing challenges. Like, if there's a Sonic palette for Filia, make the player complete some challenge like "defeat a certain number of opponents in survival (or maybe Marie in Story Mode) with only Hairball". That could be very fun.

I can't help but think someone at Future Club was inspired by the climatic giant hands wizard battle from Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves (2023) for that Marie move. Her conductor gestures really complete it:

In Skullgirls Mobile, every character has a special trait. Filia can evade with well-timed back dashes, Beowulf has Hype Mode, Black Dahlia has a gun arm, etc. I wonder if conducting the giant skeleton hand (not unlike Ms. Fortune commanding her disembodied head) will be Marie's trait.

we have a juicy tease today.. with marie's stage!

hilgard castle...hmm i can feel the lore

It's actually a Sans Undertale reference.
Is it really a Sans reference lol. I have heard a couple of people say it but I can't tell if it's true or a joke because I have never played Undertale.

When I see of giant skeleton hands, I think Shinnok from MK4.

SG always does like a classic fighting game reference.

Totally forgot about Shinnok. Gotta add that to the giant skeleton hand list. (where did Marie get the bones, a Gigan graveyard?)

Adding more Hilgard Castle lore:

Deep in the mountains, away from the ravages of the Grand War, legend tells of a castle that the Skullgirl once called home...

• A castle in No Man's Land?
  • The ruins look like at least a decade or more of decay/ plant overgrowth.
  • Marie's "I'll sweep you up." lol at the YouTube comment claiming it is an obscure longshot reference to Killing Zone (PS1) announcer who would shout "Beat you up!" before each match?

Is it really a Sans reference lol. I have heard a couple of people say it but I can't tell if it's true or a joke because I have never played Undertale.
He has an attack where he repeatedly points and the player gets thrown in that direction.

Reactions: Chrono_Tata
(where did Marie get the bones, a Gigan graveyard?)
Interestingly, while some pieces appear to have come from a giant skeleton, it seems that Marie fills some missing parts in with smaller skulls and skeletons from other sources.

• A castle in No Man's Land?
Well, we know separately that Marie came from Rommelgrad, which is located in No Man's Land. Interestingly, the text says "away from the ravages of the Grand War", so it would seem that even in the middle of No Man's Land, there are locations where that were less affected by the war and still has significant amounts of vegetation (unlike most of the areas of No Man's Land we have seen that are pretty much deserts).

• The ruins look like at least a decade or more of decay/ plant overgrowth.
We know that it was used as an orphanage until about a year ago when it was raided by slavers, but I guess it's an old castle and pretty run down even by the time Hilgard opened it up to home orphans.

I had always assumed the orphanage was a mansion of some sort, but it seems like it was actually a castle. So Hilgard probably was some sort of Gigan nobility or at least a descendant of one.

• Marie's "I'll sweep you up." lol at the YouTube comment claiming it is an obscure longshot reference to Killing Zone (PS1) announcer who would shout "Beat you up!" before each match?
Lol yeah that's a bit of a reach.

1:10 p.m. – Skullgirls Panel – Hidden Variable Studios appears with what's coming up for the Skullgirls community. The titular Skullgirl, Marie, is finally becoming a playable character after being a boss character since the game's release in 2012. See Marie in action as she closes out the game's first season of downloadable content.

in the EVO schedule from Gematsu (https://www.gematsu.com/event/evo-2023)

probably don't expect anything fancy since the blurb only talks about Marie, but I imagine people going to EVO will get to try her out

Last edited:

Hmmmmmmmmmm

I wonder if he actually has some sort of HP that can be depleted which makes him unusable, or if this is just part of Marie's KO animation or something. Like if Marie is KO'd when Hilgard is out then this animation shows.

I wonder if he actually has some sort of HP that can be depleted which makes him unusable, or if this is just part of Marie's KO animation or something. Like if Marie is KO'd when Hilgard is out then this animation shows.
Just going by the name of the video I'd guess the former. Whether it's an actual health bar, a set number of hits while he's manifested, or something like P4A's cards I have no idea.

Reactions: Chrono_Tata