• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Medium-Sized Problem

Opinions on the topic without responding

• I agree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm just looking

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cattfish

Reaction score
Steam
IBelieveIn720
Robo Fortune Double
Disclaimer: This is not a fully conceptualized discussion. I do not have proposals on how to fix anything. This could be cap, this might only have one valid point amongst many points, or this could be a concurring opinion. Tread lightly.

After playing Dahlia for a week now, I've been trying to figure out how she'll deal with the current state of SG based on her current universal toolkit. At this point we have several characters built similar to her; none of which are a particularly overwhelming presence currently. Which begs the question to me.

Do Mediums (as a category, not specifically the weight class itself) have less of an advantage currently. While not intentional, most are quite tall and strict movement. Robo is an exception to this, boasting an amazing dash and fantastic jumping hurtbox, coupled with jHK and beam's utility. When talking about the Pea + Beam (+ Annie) meta, I think a big factor is how that team shuts down Mediums thoroughly. Peacock's deadzones are nightmarish for these characters, save for an opportune Parasoul jHP (which may end up trading with M George into a full combo). Many of these characters do not make up a significant amount of ground after crouching under Robo's beams. Dealing with a character + Beam Assist in general creates more sticky situations, because it's harder to reach certain areas of the screen where you can disengage from it.

Traditionally heavies are the class that suffer, and I'm not discounting Band's suffering (Double's crouch and jumping hurtbox are abnormally helpful), but it seems difficult that there is a minor divide between lights and mediums.

What exactly constitutes a "medium" character in this regard if it's not the weight class? Because I'm having a hard time discerning this which makes it hard for me to understand the argument.

Regardless I don't think characters that have trouble with beam is exclusive to size I think it's more of an issue with lack of mobility or lack of countering options. But I know size can correlate as well since Eliza can't even crouch beam itself.

Last edited:
Dahlia and Eliza's size both suck massive stones because they suffer all the weakness' of big band without having the strengths of big band

ROBO-FORTUNE
While we would normally wait to include a bundle of balance changes together, the first bullet point here impacts Black Dahlia enough that it will be rolled out separately ahead of time.
  • The grounded version of Theonite Beam (H) has had its hitbox adjusted slightly so that it does not hit Black Dahlia when she is crouching. This also impacts Beowulf and Eliza, and it's possible to "low profile" it with more moves.

Hey good news