• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The mega name-meaning and reference thread

Double's gross fleshy form is referred to as her true form, meaning that the name Double was assigned to that particular form.
Her two default forms are her true form where she can transform, Double, and the nun form that is shown to be not entirely human with white eyes and creepy stretchy crap.

Therefore, at any given time she is either Double or Nun-thing.
(Also I think Alex may have said her nun form is called Nothing but I don't remember where.)
That is the greatest fucking pun ever, jesus christ

Oh also, some name origins with some of the other circus folk.

Regina means "queen" in Latin. (Funnily enough, I actually had a teacher with the exact same name and told me what it ment.)

Feng is probably deprived from 凤凰 (Fènghuáng) meaning "Pheonix"

It could also be deprived from 风水 (Fēngshuǐ) in reference of Alex's back story of her having bad "Feng shui" which summoned her two birdies.

Reactions: Chrono_Tata
With Alex being an artist, there is one other place, aside from mythology textbooks, where he could have found the name "Taliesin" -- the legendary architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Wright was of Welsh ancestry, and so something of a Welsh-mythology geek, and he named his home in Wisconsin "Taliesin"; it means "shining brow", and Wright designed the main house to sit on the hillside (the brow of the hill) instead of right at the top. He used a similar placement for his winter home, Taliesin West in Arizona. (Fun fact: I live about twenty minutes' drive from the place.)

Incidentally, if the character Taliesin's full name turned out to be Taliesin West, I'd only be able to shake my head in dismay. That's a pun even Ms. Fortune would be ashamed of.

Painwheel - 'Carol' is derived from an Old German word meaning 'free man'. There are other roots, but this one seems the most relevant.

If it isn't too anal, I'm trying to find the references in the normal move names - after all, what other game would be deranged enough to cram references in the names of the goddamn normals?

Painwheel - 'Carol' is derived from an Old German word meaning 'free man'. There are other roots, but this one seems the most relevant.

If it isn't too anal, I'm trying to find the references in the normal move names - after all, what other game would be deranged enough to cram references in the names of the goddamn normals?
Oh yeah I totally forgot about the Carol reference. I think it's also meant to be a pun on the word "carousel". Gonna add that when I get home.

Also yes please do look up all the references for the move names. I'm planning to add them myself once I am through with character names.

You know, you would really think Vice-Versa's name means something... but I've got nothing.
Maybe it refers to how it picks up people and turns them upside down? Or how arms are usually attached to the torso? Or if we want to make an even stupider theory, it's because some of vice versa's attacks can be used as reversals? Hell if I know.
No, seriously, they didn't just randomly assign this name, it has to mean something, right?

You know, you would really think Vice-Versa's name means something... but I've got nothing.
Maybe it refers to how it picks up people and turns them upside down? Or how arms are usually attached to the torso? Or if we want to make an even stupider theory, it's because some of vice versa's attacks can be used as reversals? Hell if I know.
No, seriously, they didn't just randomly assign this name, it has to mean something, right?
Yeah, I kinda got stumped with his name as well. I suppose I should add in what exactly it means but I have no idea what it could be referencing.

the vice part might have to do with putting people in a vice, or gripping them tight as hell.
Nah Vice Versa is basically means round and round, like the act they're based off.

Nah Vice Versa is basically means round and round, like the act they're based off.
Vice Versa means reversed.
So if you said "I love her and vice versa" it would mean the same thing as "I love her and she loves me."

Okay updated the first post to include all playable and votable characters! Added Vice-Versa under Cerebella and added real names for Peacock, Painwheel and Valentine. Check it out!

Edit: Next on the agenda: names of NPCs

Beatrix's Cloak of Damocles and personality comes from the Sword of Damocles in which Damocles wanted glamour and fortune so bad, he traded places with the king. What Damocles wasn't prepared for was the sword hanging over his head attached to a thin wire. Knowing at any moment the sword could fall and kill him, Damocles was unable to enjoy the finer things in life without fear that it could end fast.

Aeon's parasite Khronos is named after a Greek god in charge of time, Khronos was said to have a serpentine form with three heads and was represented in Greco-Roman mosaics as Aion

Ileum's name comes from the last part of the small intestines which is known as the Ileum.

Last edited:
As a German, the names I usually see for the horsemen of the apocalypse are: Tod, Pest, Hungersnot and Krieg.

Kreig would be a misspelling of the word Krieg. While Hungern is technically the wrong word. Hungern is hungering in the verb sense. Hungersnot means famine.

As a German, the names I usually see for the horsemen of the apocalypse are: Tod, Pest, Hungersnot and Krieg.

Kreig would be a misspelling of the word Krieg. While Hungern is technically the wrong word. Hungern is hungering in the verb sense. Hungersnot means famine.
I don't think Alex was going for accurate German spelling. For all we know, the names of Death and Pestilence/Conquest could be in completely different languages.

While Hungern is technically the wrong word. Hungern is hungering in the verb sense. Hungersnot means famine.
I think I would go for Hungern too... Hungersnot sounds like an elementary school student making a joke about somebody who likes to eat boogers.

Reactions: Jake Was Here
I think I would go for Hungern too... Hungersnot sounds like an elementary school student making a joke about somebody who likes to eat boogers.
Oooh be careful you might be indirectly insulting his language by comparing it elementary school humor.

Though I wont deny that is what Hungersnot sounds like. Sounds like a creative Runscape Goblin name.

Oooh be careful you might be indirectly insulting his language by comparing it elementary school humor.

Though I wont deny that is what Hungersnot sounds like. Sounds like a creative Runscape Goblin name.
I apologize if that was insulting. I'm sure that you could find tons of English words that sound stupid in German. This also applies to pretty much all languages, I think.
I know that when my high school French class learned the French word for "shower" they couldn't stop laughing...

I apologize if that was insulting. I'm sure that you could find tons of English words that sound stupid in German. This also applies to pretty much all languages, I think.
I know that when my high school French class learned the French word for "shower" they couldn't stop laughing...

sounds like a douche move

Oh, yeah, Krieg isn't actually misspelled in the game I think. I misspelled it in this thread since I am an idiot. orz

But yeah I'm pretty sure Alex intentionally didn't use Hungersnot in order to avoid it sounding strange in English. There was also a whiteboard sketch by Alex where he labelled the Death umbrella as "Tod". He has said at a Salty Cupcakes that the other 2 umbrellas aren't locked down canonically yet they might change.

Oh, yeah, Krieg isn't actually misspelled in the game I think. I misspelled it in this thread since I am an idiot. orz

But yeah I'm pretty sure Alex intentionally didn't use Hungersnot in order to avoid it sounding strange in English. There was also a whiteboard sketch by Alex where he labelled the Death umbrella as "Tod". He has said at a Salty Cupcakes that the other 2 umbrellas aren't locked down canonically yet they might change.
Wouldn't they belong to Canopy Kingdom royalty as well? Also, do we know where Parasoul and Umbrella even got their weapons? And for that matter, do we know where Cerebella (or the medicis) got Vice Versa?

Wouldn't they belong to Canopy Kingdom royalty as well? Also, do we know where Parasoul and Umbrella even got their weapons? And for that matter, do we know where Cerebella (or the medicis) got Vice Versa?
The sketchbook shows King Renoir wielding Tod. The other umbrella had a really rough design on the whiteboard sketch, and was labelled "Pestilence/Conquest" so Alex hasn't clearly thought it through. The assumption is that Queen Nancy would have been the one to wield it.

As for the origins of Parasites and Living Weapons, Alex has been intentionally vague about them. Clearly they are meant to be important plot points for future parts of Skullgirls.

Oh I always thought that Nancy would be the one to wield Death since she turned into the SkullGirl, who can bring the dead back to life, I thought it fit her theme. Also The King (Franz I Think?) started, or at least perpetuated, the Grand War so Conquest would have fit him well.

Oh I always thought that Nancy would be the one to wield Death since she turned into the SkullGirl, who can bring the dead back to life, I thought it fit her theme. Also The King (Franz I Think?) started, or at least perpetuated, the Grand War so Conquest would have fit him well.
I agree. I suppose that's why Alex is still thinking about it. Conquest seems to fit well King Franz.

As for the origins of Parasites and Living Weapons, Alex has been intentionally vague about them. Clearly they are meant to be important plot points for future parts of Skullgirls.

For the longest time, I've had this odd feeling that perhaps what Isaac found below the Canopy Kingdom may have something to do the said mystery origins.

Reactions: Shockdingo
Not talking about their origins, it's just never addressed how Parasoul, Umbrella and Cerebella even found their weapons. As far as we know, they always had them. On the other hand, it's clearly said that leviathan is a parasite that's been with the Continello family for a while, and we know how Samson and Filia wound up together.

Last edited:
Not talking about their origins, it's just never addressed how Parasoul, Umbrella and Cerebella even found their weapons. As far as we know, they always had them. On the other hand, it's clearly said that leviathan is a parasite that's been with the Continello family for a while, and it's we know how Samson and Filia wound up together.
Oh okay I see what you mean. The only story I have heard about the umbrellas is that Hungern is actually the stronger umbrella compared to Krieg, but Parasoul was given the weaker umbrella as she compensates for it with better fighting skills. (This was told by Alpha, who worked on Skullgirls several years ago so it's possible that this info is outdated.)

Also, Alex was directly asked how Cerebella came to possess Vice-Versa, and he answered that it was given to her by someone very important; intentionally vague answer.

Heh, I always thought Peacock's George was a reference to Rachel from BlazBlue.

Painwheel's reference to a pinwheel goes deeper than an old design. A Pinwheel can only move or function when it is forced to by outside forces. Painwheel can only function properly when she is controlled by Brain Drain.

Okay, updated the list a bit more up to Regina. Check it out guys!

Yeah I can't think of any "deeper" reason for the name Brain Drain either apart from the fact that it sounds cool and refers to his psychic power.

Isn't it literal?

"The extending needles on his fingers and head are used to read someone’s mind, alter their memories, or even control their body."