• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Mortal Kombat Thread

I WANT THIS GAAAAME! Well... time to rob a bank so I can buy a PS4...

Dont forget the mightiest of Kombatants:

tuegamby.jpg
tumblr_lhhs4i3oqZ1qgl5r6o1_500.jpg

Done and done.

I'm actually really curious/looking forward to more New characters in MK8.
I always enjoy waiting to see what new characters NRS games will have. The wait for new characters in MK9 was really fun, man!

Just an FYI, they confirmed MK X's interactables are blockable.
So people can't abuse them.

I’ve only seen a tweet from Ed Boon saying that interactable projectiles can be blocked and interactables don’t have to be unblockable to be something that you can abuse like crazy and completely take over gameplay.

Story wise, I think this game will "skip" MK4 in the timeline by stating that Shinnok already conquered the realms and now rules most of them, including earth, and somehow a new Mortal Kombat will take place to kick Shinnok of the throne. During that, the new threat arrives. And thats either Liu Kang or a mad Raiden.

That.. actually sounds a lot more likely. I kind of feel bad that I was thinking Boon was in full on PR “our fans are idiots that will eat up anything that sounds good” mode.

tumblr_lhhs4i3oqZ1qgl5r6o1_500.jpg

Done and done.
I'm actually really curious/looking forward to more New characters in MK8.
I always enjoy waiting to see what new characters NRS games will have. The wait for new characters in MK9 was really fun, man!

... Baraka Obama confirmed for Mario Kart 8? Wouldn't actually mind that.

Last edited:
I doubt it, those two hate each other.

And if the "if leader dies, the army dies" contract that appeared in Shang Tsung's Armageddon intro is still in play, literally every villain from MK1-MK3 is now dead.

I'm fucking LOVING Cassie Cage. and I don't understand why.
It must be that fucking tackle beatdown.
Every single new character looks fucking awesome in design and how they play.
HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!? HOW IS NOT ONE OF THEM SHIT?!
Bravo NRS, Bravo.
Also, those fatalities were really good.
Terra/Korr's was no Baraka Fatality 1 though.
Kotal Kahn though, god fucking damn.
Brutal motherfucker

Saw a theory that the failed Scorpion fatality was intentional due to its brutality. Wouldn't be surprised if true.

After hearing Maximilian and the guys describe it, I wouldn't be surprised either.

I'm honestly shocked by how good the New MK designs are. They're leagues apart from the old 3D era, and they look fun gameplay-wise as well. Can't wait to try Ferra/Torr.

Just noticed they dropped suit/body damage. Hope that stays and isn't just a not yet implemented feature. Having some of your own/your opponents blood on you after the match is ok for showing there was a fight just a moment ago, but even when being a winner, having your suit devastated and half your face torn off, leaving an exposed eyeball and teeth... Yeah, that put me off in MK9.

I think a mix of body/suit damage is okay. As long as it isn't what you mentioned about torn faces and all of that. Exposed teeth would probably be alright in Mileena's case if her mask gets taken off.

Basically, stuff that makes more sense rather than stuff they clearly should be dying from.

Then again, some of them look alright after getting hit by an X-ray so...... :V

MK was always very selective when it came to realism. Gallons of blood lost, a pierced skull, a broken spine, but no biggie, everyone continues fighting like it's nothing. Damage on suits/bodies might be the one realistic thing, but only until we have Kabal with a torn breathing tube, ignoring it and adjusting his mask to visibly inhale a quick breath between rounds anyway... despite the mask no longer being there on top of it.

Also it's subjective, but I usually found the visible damage way overdone. A couple of blunt kicks to the opponent leg and suddenly his thigh has a big chunk of flesh torn out and an exposed bone. All that being said, in the end not realism but rule of cool appears to be the priority, and what's cool is a matter of personal taste and preference.

The way I see it, if you want characters mutilated, that's what fatalities are for, blood splashes on the suit are enough for the match proper. However, body/suit damage is a feature some people liked, I'm sure. If it had an on/off trigger in main menu, it would be all I ask for.

Reactions: Vesha Nya Jezebel
Found an interesting Ed Boon interview over at TRMK. Confirms that Ferra is not a child and that there will be a new -ality created for MKX.

New -ality?
Wonder what it could be, 2 fatalities, and a new -ality?
I'd be 100% fine with that.
Apparently there's also a rumor they may be bringing back Animalities.
If that's true, I'm really fine with that.
2 Fatalities, new a-lity, and an Animality? That'd be hype.

Apparently there's also a rumor they may be bringing back Animalities.
If that's true, I'm really fine with that.
So long as its done along the lines of Liu Kang's fatality in MKII, and not the neon super lameness of MK3.

wow cool, i love this game since im kid. i repeatedly played the shaolin monks and the next ( i forgot what's the name) in ps2. hope they remake a movie of this :v

Welp. Time to make another Face/Off movie?

That was a much cleaner cut than I expected! Good job, Scorps!

My oh my, that was much better than what I was expecting.

shocked-boozer.gif

My reaction to the fatality.

Reactions: Jutsei
The god of thunder is back!

(Before you watch the video, turn the volume down, its a cutout from the stream and the audio from the commentators breaks trough on 2 instances)

He looks awesome, all of his moves look so good. Okay, Raiden was my main in MK9 so here's a fanboy speaking. The thunder moves and teleports look so sick.

Kotal Kahn is amazing also, holy shit. One plot-thing that I heard out, Kotal Kahn said "Pray for the Kahn's mercy!". So its either my theory that war gods/mongers give themselves this title or Kotal Kahn is related to Shao Kahn, what I'm not really believing.

Reactions: BeatNinja
They confirmed Kotal Kahn isn't related to Shao Kahn.
Kinda disappointed, I was hoping for a new character.
Honestly, who didn't see Raiden coming back?

No one. He's one of the only three heroes that didn't die in the last game. Seriously, can we bring some of those guys back to life for this Boon? I want my mains Noob Saibot, Jade and Kung Lao back. And Cyrax too but last I checked, he was still alive somewhere.

He looks alright. I like what they did with his hat, and how it's like a fucking conductor for his electricity now.

My wait for Ermac continues though.

They confirmed Kotal Kahn isn't related to Shao Kahn.

Thank god Raiden, its only a title then.

And Cyrax too but last I checked, he was still alive somewhere.

Yep, he's still alive.

My wait for Ermac continues though.

You have seen the concept art that appeared over the net? He's in there, and he will look awesome.