• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Sakurai with the real talk, cutting out all the bullshit and getting to the point. Why did he choose not to have Chrom on the roster? Because we already have 2 blue haired swordsmen and don't need a 3rd.

So in order to avoid this, Sakurai implemented
a third blue-haired swordsman.
Who functions
almost exactly the same as one of the previous blue-haired swordsmen.

Reactions: Smilax and Calypsx
a third blue-haired swordswoman.

FTFY

also
0nM5Ic5.jpg

Last edited:
a third blue-haired swordsman.
Who functions
almost exactly the same as one of the previous blue-haired swordsmen.

No, in order to fix it he implemented Robin.

On the side, he was also creating an alt costume for Marth: Lucina. Somewhere down the line, he realized Lucina being an alt for Marth didn't make that much sense and decided she should be her own character, which would be easy since she would just be a clone anyway.

No, in order to fix it he implemented Robin.

On the side, he was also creating an alt costume for Marth: Lucina. Somewhere down the line, he realized Lucina being an alt for Marth didn't make that much sense and decided she should be her own character, which would be easy since she would just be a clone anyway.

But there's no real reason for Lucina to have different stats.
And it would make a lot of sense for her to be an alt.
She purposefully emulated his fighting style and uses the same sword.
And Sakurai stated that he didn't want to get redundant with the FE characters and simultaneously adds a clone, that doesn't resonate badly at all with you?

Reactions: Calypsx and Smilax
Robin/Lucina/Falcon scan. Kriby's Lucina hat is the fucking mask. That is awesome.

BsvKYxoIgAAYtnR.jpg:large

Edit:
10491286_284057861781727_3786299438368233212_n.jpg

Last edited:
But there's no real reason for Lucina to have different stats.
And it would make a lot of sense for her to be an alt.
She purposefully emulated his fighting style and uses the same sword.
And Sakurai stated that he didn't want to get redundant with the FE characters and simultaneously adds a clone, that doesn't resonate badly at all with you?

She should be her own character because Marth isn't the same character as Lucina, where as with other alts Female and Male WFT=WFT. Female and Male Villager= Villager. Marth and Lucina!=Marth. He probably did not want to have alts for characters that are completely different characters, which I agree with.

Edit: I should also point out that one of the reasons he put her as her own character is probably just because's she's really popular, especially in Japan. I've heard more requests for Lucina than even Chrom.

She should be her own character because Marth isn't the same character as Lucina, where as with other alts Female and Male WFT=WFT. Female and Male Villager= Villager. Marth and Lucina!=Marth. He probably did not want to have alts for characters that are completely different characters, which I agree with.

Edit: I should also point out that one of the reasons he put her as her own character is probably just because's she's really popular, especially in Japan. I've heard more requests for Lucina than even Chrom.

In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes.

Reactions: Covenant
you could just
put the FE:A design on Marth
+ the mask
+Laura Bailey
and just
called it a day
but whatever

sakurai what have you done to us

you sparked the clone debate again

please, stop

Well, arguing won't change anything now.

Whatev's.

I guess me wanting the Lucina Figma to replace Marth on my Desktop Smash Bros thing is a bit more ironic now that she's her own character.

I mean,
I'm not against Lucina's inclusion, I'll probably play her more than Marth, and I'm not against Chrom's exclusion, I barely know who the guy is.
But this "Chrom wasn't unique enough that's why he's not in the game" stuff is kinda bullshit.
And I play Ace Attorney a lot so I've been immaculately trained to call out bullshit when I see it.

you know who could be a good addition
Godot
then Hideki Kamiya could reprise his role
and we could throw coffee on people all day

Reactions: Goodbye18000
Well, Chrom was replaced by Robin, who really did have more potential to be something more than just a guy with a sword (and maybe a shield depending on how far he was in the game). The only thing that sets Chrom apart from Marth/Ike are again the shield (which Link has) and maybe him being able to use spears.

Lucina didn't replace Chrom, Lucina was just given a higher status because Sakurai wasn't content with her just being a costume with a new name and voice clips for some reason. Most likely, again, her popularity.

All in all, I'm fine with her being in, just

stock-photo-angry-parents-stare-with-disappointment-at-the-camera-23623471.jpg

disappointed.

Maybe they could get Steve Blum as Hideki Kamiya's official english dub voice and we could hear all those classic kamiya lines
"You gotta be you."
"Ask your mom."
"No."

That reminded me of a hilarious joke back in the Playstation All-Stars days.
Someone said there should be a Nolan North Battle Royale game, where you play as every character Nolan North ever voiced, including himself.
He'd be the announcer and everything.

you know who could be a good addition
Godot
then Hideki Kamiya could reprise his role
and we could throw coffee on people all day

I actually made a Godot moveset a long time ago.
It revolved around him constantly summoning new cups of coffee, because the coffee gave him a power buff, but it fades really quickly.
And you lose the buff entirely if you choose to use his only projectile, throwing the thing.

Last edited:
tumblr_lbvdpdLiLP1qzjralo1_500.jpg

My headcannon always was that Godot could optic blast with his mask.

Hell, I'm surprised one of Phoenix Wright's supers in UMvC3 wasn't summoning in Godot to do one with Cyclops' pose and everything.

Mega_Optic_Blast.gif

Also, thanks for the literal nothing pic of the day, Sakurai. We're talking fucking UMvC3 in a Smash thread.

so where is the glorious Robin FE fan art? I have seen some amazing parodies but I think that's not all LOL

Rhythm Heaven/Ace Attorney crossover
where you could call out contradictions the song composition makes in keeping time or conflicting inputs for keeping rhythm-
give_it_to_me_stephen_colbert.gif

Rhythm Heaven/Ace Attorney crossover
where you could call out contradictions the song composition makes in keeping time or conflicting inputs for keeping rhythm-
give_it_to_me_stephen_colbert.gif

That sounds equal parts really fun and frustrating as hell.

Also, Layton X Wright needs to come out first. Europe's had it for like, a month now.

I suppose Sakurai did kind of contradict himself indirectly by putting in Lucina. I guess the sequence of events were an accident and it just ended up like this. I can imagine he wanted to make a costume swap but she was too significant of a character to just do that...

Oh well, I'm totally fine with clones anyways because they have different properties anyways.

But yeah... WHEN'S FALCO? Or just more generally, WHEN'S ANYTHING STARFOX RELATED?

I'm fine with clones so long as they're awesome as a character, loyal to the source material/character, or fun to play.
AKA, what I usually look for in fighters.
I just want Ganondorf to no longer have Captain Falcon's moves.
Just give him a sword and you can put in as many clones as you like.

when's nothing starfox related
gimme some MOTHER
Your love for Mother is admirable. However, my love for Starfox is... Ok not that crazy, but it was my first video game ever so sakurai pls.

Please, you guys and your series that already has vets coming back
I'm still waiting for Andy
Advance Wars has much more class than EarthBound or Star Fox
But seriously, where's Ness and Wolf