• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

But he didn't take any damage, at all. Doesn't super armor still have you take damage?
the percentage thing isnt even visible how can you tell if he took damage

I mean, I guess the bottom right corner with the bottom 3DS character art with Dark Pit's percentage on it could be faked. Maybe I'll look into it closer.

Reactions: Arcana
I mean, I guess the bottom right corner with the bottom 3DS character art with Dark Pit's percentage on it could be faked. Maybe I'll look into it closer.
I cant believe I missed that part. . . .it probably is invincible then thats pretty cool

Still doesn't change that he is literally a second Pit, though.

Sakurai if you wanted to give Pit 16 colors you coulda just did it

Reactions: Smilax
Still doesn't change that he is literally a second Pit, though.

Sakurai if you wanted to give Pit 16 colors you coulda just did it
Yeah, this bullshit annoys me.
If you don't have time/budget to make a character significantly different don't put them in the game just to pad out the roster.

So Dark Pit's side B is invincible or something. Not joking.
http://www.gfycat.com/KaleidoscopicYoungElephantseal
(look in the bottom right corner when it happens)

Oh that's bullshit. His Side Special just replaces the Upperdash Arm with the Electroshock Arm? You could've given that thing to Pit as a custom move! Goddamnit, again, 108 weapons Sakurai and you don't even bother with either Pit. Just two Uprising weapons and call it a day.

If you don't have time/budget to make a character significantly different don't put them in the game just to pad out the roster.

Something tells me Sakurai just feels like he's obligated to make the rosters as big as possible just as a means to please people.

While I'm on the topic of clones, is anyone with this game bothering to unlock and document the custom move sets of these characters? That could potentially help make some of this cloning bullshit a bit more tolerable. Just saying.

Well obviously the guy who created the game doesn't agree with you guys on if he's a clone or not because he's out of the game so I dunno what to tell ya xD

He's still a "semi-clone" in my book and didn't offer anything that new, but o well.
Mewtwo didn't make it into Brawl but look at how he's a "semi-clone" of Greninja. *pwnt*

Couple thoughts:

1. Dark Pit is giving me some hardcore Roy vibes, same moveset but stronger and with different effects.
Also probably shouldn't be in this game in the first place, but whatever.

2. Am I allowed to complain about Dark Pit if I've been vying for Dark Samus from Day 1?

3. I'm super glad Classic mode's final boss got an upgrade when it did.
Because this means that Little Mac can officially punch out a giant formless dark being of chaos and destruction utilizing nothing but training and his own two fists.

Mewtwo didn't make it into Brawl but look at how he's a "semi-clone" of Greninja. *pwnt*

That's not the same at all.
Regardless of how different they are, Wolf still has specials based on Fox's, he's like Akuma who's still a shoto no matter how different they are.
Greninja isn't based on Mewtwo's moveset at all, and I know you know this so I'm not gonna go into it.

That's not the same at all.
Regardless of how different they are, Wolf still has specials based on Fox's, he's like Akuma who's still a shoto no matter how different they are.
Greninja isn't based on Mewtwo's moveset at all, and I know you know this so I'm not gonna go into it.
It was a bad joke. Guess I shoulda grabbed a Meme image or something.

More seriously are there any stages we haven't seen? I'm a bit bugged about the single Metroid stage we've gotten.

2. Am I allowed to complain about Dark Pit if I've been vying for Dark Samus from Day 1?
I believe so, but it does depend on which version we're talking about. Regular Samus has a metal suit, while Dark Samus is a more fleshy character in the Metroid Prime 2. She got more mechanized in Prime 3, but I think Sakurai liked the first design better.
Trophy_Dark_Samus.jpg
Liked, seeing as how this version is here now.
640px-Dark_Samus_returns.png
But really, that's not the point. Even in the mechanized form, I can see the differences between normal Samus and Dark Samus. The visor shape, the shoulder pads, what I believe is a different arm cannon, and varied light patterns across her body(?).
Dark Pit doesn't have that. He doesn't have any significant design changes to make differentiate himself from regular Pit. Which is why I think he was a poor inclusion.

I believe so, but it does depend on which version we're talking about. Regular Samus has a metal suit, while Dark Samus is a more fleshy character in the Metroid Prime 2. She got more mechanized in Prime 3, but I think Sakurai liked the first design better.
Trophy_Dark_Samus.jpg
Liked, seeing as how this version is here now.
640px-Dark_Samus_returns.png
But really, that's not the point. Even in the mechanized form, I can see the differences between normal Samus and Dark Samus. The visor shape, the shoulder pads, what I believe is a different arm cannon, and varied light patterns across her body(?).
Dark Pit doesn't have that. He doesn't have any significant design changes to make differentiate himself from regular Pit. Which is why I think he was a poor inclusion.

Like,
I've made a Dark Samus moveset, but if I were to put her in at the very least I'd give her a different stance, probably floating with a more relaxed arm position or something.
With a Phazon aura in a pool right below her and,
you know what I'll just post this.

I think y'all are missing the point of Clone Characters.
The issue with these characters is not that they look the same (though with Pit it is admittedly an issue too), it's that they play the same.
You could put Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Classic Samus and Dark Samus in the game for all I care. As long as they all play totally different from each other I am totally cool with that. (Bowser and Bowser Jr - totally great) Obviously I'd prefer a wildly varied cast of characters from across licenses, but if they're going to add similar characters, for the love of god give them unique move sets.

Dress it up all you want but, Pit and Dark Pit are essentially identical with a few tweaked move properties. Ganondorf is the worst offender for clone character because he is a totally unique character with a cloned moveset.

I definitely believe that no character has to be a clone. Wolf, Lucas, any other character that IS a clone or a "semi-clone" does not have to be one. They just get lazy tbh.

Wolf and Lucas are definitely inexcusable, it'd be SOOO easy to give them COMPLETELY different moves across the board. Plenty of others too.

Wolf and Lucas are definitely inexcusable, it'd be SOOO easy to give them COMPLETELY different moves across the board. Plenty of others too.
HE ONLY SHARES 2 MOVES! that LOADS less than Falco.

Reactions: Ein Blitz
HE ONLY SHARES 2 MOVES! that LOADS less than Falco.

What am I chopped liver?
And more importantly what are my arguments?
The kinda shit chopped liver says?

Reactions: keninblack
Coulda added goddamn Magnus Sakurai...

BUT NO YOU JUST NEEDED TO MAKE A PIT BRAWL SKIN PLAYABLE!

Coulda added goddamn Magnus Sakurai...

BUT NO YOU JUST NEEDED TO MAKE A PIT BRAWL SKIN PLAYABLE!
For once, I agree.

I definitely believe that no character has to be a clone. Wolf, Lucas, any other character that IS a clone or a "semi-clone" does not have to be one. They just get lazy tbh.

All of Lucas' tilts and smashes are based PK Love his signature move from MOTHER 3 and all of his specials are different versions of Ness' but extremely different that makes him very unique while being able to save costs because similar models/animations, Wolf is kinda the same idk much about him. Meanwhile Ganondorf and Falco are more clone than anything, more so in regards to Falco, those 2 are inexcusable, especially this far into the series

Wolf was BASED on Fox, is what he's saying.
They didn't give Wolf an original moveset that just happened to be similar to Fox's, they took Fox's specials and edited them and gave them different properties and have them different aesthetics.

What am I chopped liver?
And more importantly what are my arguments?
The kinda shit chopped liver says?
Actually your shoto arguement really did make me think of Wolf more as a clone than before, but you have to admit that he's the least cloniest clone we've had so far!

Anyway, Holy jeez louise, Batman!
I'm just going to post a bunch of videos in spoilers and give my thoughts for each:
Wow, I wasn't expecting Kirby to actually get the monado arts from Shulk. I wonder if that'll make him competitively dangerous against Shulks?
Wow, that gas ball thing is really visually improved this time around. In Brawl it was just kind of this fog that barely did anything, now I can't even see the character!
I wish Dr. Mario's final smash was mechanically different, but I do appreciate the effort put into the visualistics of this.
I'm loving Jigglypuff's expressions this time around, major improvement from Brawl's doll-like look she had.
Say, I can't remember, did Olimar start with three Pikmin when a match started in Brawl, or did you have to pluck immediately? Also Ness's specials seems greatly improved.
I can see Palutena's auto reticle can be a dangerous move in the right hands
Bowser Jr.'s alts look good, but that final smash looks really overpowered to me
Good for Kirby
uzjcJUJ.png

I'm aware of PK Love and love the Mother 3 series but cmon his specials have "different" properties but they could be DIFFERENT MOVES all together haha.

I mentioned Wolf/Lucas but I said "Plenty of others too" Falco, GDorf, and any other clone are pretty much guilty of lazy when you can make them hella different.

I don't care though, still gonna play the game I just wish the roster delivered. I'll main Dark Pit/Doctor Mario/Lucina in that order though if they're top 3 so fuck it xP

I love how everyone's talking about clones but isn't bringing up how Mario and Dr.Mario are pretty much the same, but Dr.Mario is just in general better, in both games, FLUDD or not. (I wont go into Pittoo or Lucy as I barely seen/felt them in action)

Were as Wolf felt different in almost every way from Fox and Falco. Heavier, meatier attacks, and unique quirks too the similar looking attacks from that of the other two.
Hell personally I give falco the benefit of the doubt and put him in Luigi status as were Luigi was basically a better clone of Mario in 64 he as become his own fighter in Melee kinda like Brawl Falco (though Falco could use some more diversifying by a quite a bit).

You see, this is why I can't complain. A character from a long not thought of game (Duck Hunt (You thought I was going to say F-Zero didn't you)) seems to be a playable character, and Samus was a guarantee, it's already good enough for me.

Anything else past announcement is just delicious tear-flavored frosting on a cake.
Now that the initial "No Fox Semi-Clone" has gone away, this stands true yet again.

But really, where's the Metroid stages

Falco is a staple at this point, .
yet you said you were meh about ice climbers because they were "in Melee AND Brawl"
does being in 2 games make you a staple or make it okay to be axed I don't understand

I'm so hyped for DHD, but other than that, no otherewcomers. Wait it's been so long I forgot Mac is a newcomer

yet you said you were meh about ice climbers because they were "in Melee AND Brawl"
does being in 2 games make you a staple or make it okay to be axed I don't understand

Well having IC's would be cool I just am personally okay with them being or not being in the game it doesn't really bother me either way.

It just makes waay more sense in my eyes for Falco to stay over Wolf I guess.

Put me in the camp that was slightly disappointed that Dark Pit (and Lucina by extension) didn't end up being more varied than he turned out. He has his own final smash, which is nice and all, but Kid Icarus Uprising had an assload of different weapons that could have been drawn from to make Dark Pit more of his own character, even if it were only a couple of moves like Dr. Mario.

Maybe Fukua's spoiled me, but I just feel that if they're going to add a character to the game, they should be given something substantial to make them stand apart from everyone else. When I play a character in a game, I'd rather not be able to say "Oh X plays just like Y, but..."

Put me in the camp that was slightly disappointed that Dark Pit (and Lucina by extension) didn't end up being more varied than he turned out. "
Eh, I wouldn't include Lucina in that, she has a different mechanic, and it was upfront in that when she was announced. glorified alt.
I as well, though, am disappointed by Dark Pit, if he is completely the same sans FS.

What is his FS by the way, I can't seem to find it.

The same every way
Edit- Didn't mean that to be a reply :/

Imagine Zelda's Final Smash

Now imagine him using the Dark Pit Staff

I mean, it's funny cause in KI:U Staffs = sniper rifles so

his FS is literally BOOM HEADSHOT

it was on page 389 or 390 (these things get missed when everything is spoilered)

I'm probably the only person here who mains Wolf. Oh well :)

Eh, I wouldn't include Lucina in that, she has a different mechanic, and it was upfront in that when she was announced. glorified alt.
I as well, though, am disappointed by Dark Pit, if he is completely the same sans FS.

I mean, the only thing that's really different about Lucina is how her damage and knockback are applied. Her sweet spots are basically just different, with some probable differences in stats/properties here and there. Dark Pit will probably be as different from Pit as Lucina is from Marth, minus the fact that Lucina at least looks moderately different from her counterpart...

zlCfzSblzEc8wcbNGS

"Pic of the day. This is the World Status you can see in Spectator mode. The game isn't released yet so the map looks pretty plain now, but I wonder what it'll look like once it's out? Also, this is where you can see all sorts of stats being tallied up. In Group play and Spectator mode, you can see characters you haven't unlocked yet, so watch out if you don't want to be spoiled."

zlCfzSblzN89_8hsXZ

"Even if you don't want to be spoiled, it might be wise to select the Online option at least once before you start the game. Your Global Smash Power won't appear until the first time you connect to the internet. Not only that, but there could potentially be a patch available that can resolve potential issues, like the one being released now for the Japanese version of the game. For the package version, updates can be pre-downloaded to your system even before you purchase the game, so make sure you look out for them."

Nothing will stop me from buying this game.

...But I cannot find it in myself to ever forgive them for cutting Lucas and Wolf for the sake of clones.

The smash miiverse now has the all the unlockable characters up under spoiler tags. Based on the number of unlockables I now know the ESRB leak roster was the final roster. :(

Still interested in what they might be showing tomorrow though.

I'm kind of relieved that the roster doesn't completely blow me away - I think I'll be fine waiting for the WiiU release, don't need to buy a 3DS just for this game :P