• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

I have to wonder if they'll reveal the first DLC just before launch, then (I read the spoiler).

I can't decide if such a reveal is weird or unfortunately likely. DBFZ wasn't dumb enough to do that, and they had a launch Season Pass with no discount. But Capcom's done it.

Oof. Just as bad.
Again, be careful for the next 2 weeks to avoid spoilers
wait holy shit it's only 2 weeks away?
That's big.
I'd like to just point out that Animal Crossing also had its own icon for Brawl, yet it didn't get anything.

This is suspicious, yes, but let's not jump to conclusions, please.

Anywho. I compiled a list of info, talking about how to unlock characters, based on what we know thus far.

lol
Ds6g_mUU8AAu0hz.png

I'd like to just point out that Animal Crossing also had its own icon for Brawl, yet it didn't get anything.
Stages get icons, no matter what
fuckin Electroplankton has an icon because Hanenbow exists
same goes for Wii Sports and Wrecking Crew

So, Vergeben, the man who leaked Incineroar, Snake, Ken, Piranha Plant, Ridley, and Isaac as an assist trophy, gave us a small list of who we can expect as the
DLC SE character.

The list is:

Sephiroth
Slime
Erdrick
The Luminary (Dragon Quest 11)
Crono
Geno

I hope it's the Luminary. DQ11 is insanely good. It's so solid, it's crazy.

8 Days to go until we have the game in our hands.
I'd suggest just doing Singleplayer content for the first weekend.
Pretty sure the servers are gonna be dying for the initial 3 days.
Then they'll die again around Christmas time.

Can't wait for the inevitable shitstorms the DLC announcements will bring.

Also, apparently, Sakurai didn't even consider Isaac to be playable, because Golden Sun is a dead franchise. He was surprised at the level of backlash they got for excluding him.

Also, apparently, Sakurai didn't even consider Isaac to be playable, because Golden Sun is a dead franchise. He was surprised at the level of backlash they got for excluding him.
What? He's added Ice Climbers, ROB and Game & Watch... not to mention Pit pre-Uprising.

It is something of a relic though.

I am genuinely baffled by this logic on every level.

The person who distinctly helped resurrect Kid Icarus through Smash Bros doesn't understand how Smash by default brings public interest to said series letting it possibly be resurrected?

Like not even going there sure maybe it is a dead series, but dead series still hold a place in time and history for Nintendo and video games, there's a legacy and those people who experienced that hold that with them. Maybe there really isn't anywhere the series can truly go on now, but the fans of it will and they'll most likely adapt or interpret it in their own creations.

Just because something is dead doesn't mean it's "dead dead", if there's enough people voting for the man and wanting him to be there after all these years doesn't that indicate that just *maybe* it's a good candidate character??? A dead dead series is one no one even jokingly mentions in passing. If you make a worldwide ballot and there's plenty of people who remember a character to vote for them then how is it truly dead?

Can't wait for the inevitable shitstorms the DLC announcements will bring.
Yeah if that first DLC character is true and the rest are just like them then I'm probably not going to buy any of them, I don't think they'll be bad characters or anything but again why make so much effort doing "look at these characters YOU ALL wanted!!!" and then not do a single one of them for DLC?

It's almost like some sort of bias is going on are something. Though I'm willing to give a pass to Mr.G&W and Rob for being iconic, even Duck Hunt. Pit and Ices though not so much.

It's almost like some sort of bias is going on are something. Though I'm willing to give a pass to Mr.G&W and Rob for being iconic, even Duck Hunt. Pit and Ices though not so much.
I mean, the alleged criteria for resurrecting a dead game was “Is it a part of Nintendo history?”

Though, I certainly think there’s an argument to be made about how every game on a Nintendo console is a part of Nintendo history.

Take it a Step Farther: Reggie just said Like Joker, THE OTHER 4 CHARACTERS ARE NOT WHO YOU WOULD NORMALLY EXPECT FOR SMASH BROS!

Why wasn't it Jack Frost?! He's actually on a Nintendo console!

I had a feeling they'd announce the first DLC the day before Smash.

Well I think any predictions can be tossed in the garbage, I saw some people pushing for Joker, I never fully dismissed it, because there was The Cloud Clause.
But look at that, the Cloud Clause.

P5 is wack and rides on the coat tails of its predecessors with reused story ideas and themes goodnight

Reactions: Dr.Sanity
I commissioned this as a joke and I never saw it coming either.

commission__p5_joker_vs_master_hand_by_borockman_db6ttix-fullview.jpg

Reactions: HeadcrabNinja
Not gonna lie Corrin straight up killed my interest in Smash 4 for a straight year I hated them that much, and while Joker is not on that level by God do I wish they announced him one week after the game came out

as much as I'd love the Persona "date your middle aged teacher as a 16 year old" 5 protagonist I'm gonna have to call the smash fighter ballot instant dropped for me

Anyway, my predictions for the next 4 characters, I don't think they'll ALL be Third Party or showstoppers, but... predictions
2. A Square Enix rep, possibly Sora, Sephiroth, or Dragon Quest. Geno is 100% out of the race.
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Either Fire Emblem Three Houses rep, or Draglia Lost, something to promote a Nintendo property5
5. Another Nintendo Promotion, possibly King Boo or Professor E. Gadd

Reactions: musica
I mean I'm still holding out on a L0 rep. as longshot that is.

World of Light is way bigger and longer than I expected, been playing for around 6 hours and only Awakened 20 fighters, and fought 1 boss.
This one's gonna take a lil' while, I love it
I know right? I thought I'd blaze through it in a night and get all the characters, but man, was I both sorely mistaken and pleasantly pleased that I'm only 1/3 done awakening everyone.

6+ More hours in, second half of the map is open now, so there's still a lot to be done bc I'm sure there'll be The Great Maze before Galeem
Two moments really made me smile tho
1. Ness was found in a pink cloud area, very clearly Magicant, which parallels not only Magicant but it's place in the story of Earthbound (A place Ness goes made of his memories after he goes into a coma)
2. An area in the second part of the map is the map screen of the first Donkey Kong Country map, complete with music.

Reactions: Lexeous
P5 is wack and rides on the coat tails of its predecessors with reused story ideas and themes goodnight
It has an incredibly strong start with a lot of polish traits that make it a darling of variety reviewers (Extra Credits tried talking about Persona 5's sexual themes and jokes, and while I think they missed the mark on what went bad after Palace 1, they were on the right track).

It also does have actual improvements over previous entries and I like the Phantom Thieves more than the Investigation Team. I like Ryujji more than Yosuke, Ann more than Yukiko... I don't really like Chie's events but then, I can kinda say the same for Makoto, and Chie's such a cute girlfriend... I like Kanji more than Yusuke, but if you want to talk about themes they backed out on there he is. I don't care much about Futaba. Only thing is Morgana was a character I was prepared to like for receiving character development, then he never got any development. So I don't like him now.

I don't care about the story, it doesn't go where it should but w/e it has a conclusion that makes some vague sense. I like characters.

Okay, my current Smash mains: King KA.rool, incineroaor, DeDeDe, Dimon, and Wolf.

Dimon was a misspelling but how could you forget the TRUE pronunciation of King KA.Rool from the Donkey Kong cartoon?