• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Sheik/Greninja

Maybe Bowser and DHD.

Ima just play anyone else I like but right now those are the only ones honestly.

daily-en.jpg

"Pic of the day. This assist trophy is Sheriff. Sheriff was an arcade game released in 1979. In this game, the players aim by choosing one of eight directions to shoot using a second joystick separate from the one that controls movement. It was quite a revolutionary game for its time. For shooting games overseas, it's common to see games that utilize the left stick to move around and the right to determine the direction to shoot, so we can say the origin of modern shooting games was this game--which is pretty remarkable."

I remember the Melee trophy of this guy.

Lol, Sakurai is trying to credit Nintendo for modern shooters despite the fact that they're only now making one.

I wonder if we'll get something special tomorrow?

"LOOK IT'S THE ICE CLIMBERS, THEY'LL BE WIIU-EXCLUSIVE FOR A LITTLE WHILE UNTIL THE NEW 3DS COMES OUT"

I can dream

Lol, Sakurai is trying to credit Nintendo for modern shooters despite the fact that they're only now making one.

I wonder if we'll get something special tomorrow?

*Metroid Prime coughs awkwardly from the punch table*

Color me surprised. I didn't know you could aim with the C-Stick.

I had friends try to say Metroid Prime isn't a first person shooter just as much as Portal wasn't simply because "Its Nintendo" and "There's no online multiplayer" and Hunters is "On a portable".

Splatoon though
That game will mark a new era

Color me surprised. I didn't know you could aim with the C-Stick.

Could you not?
I don't know, I only ever played the Trilogy.

So with Smash 4 coming out tonight, I said goodbye (ha, haha) to Brawl in the laziest way possible - uploading all of my recorded matches from since the game came out.

Oh yeah,
are we still doing that starting roster tournament?

Could you not?
I don't know, I only ever played the Trilogy.
Nope, Trilogy sorta throws the original control scheme in a blender with a stick. On Prime 1 and 2 on the Gamecube, you move with the left stick, but you don't strafe unless you lock on to something. Pressing R locks you on, Z... I don't remember actually. L locks you on, A shoots, B is jump, Y is missile, X is Morph Ball, C-Stick are Beams, and the D-Pad are visors.

Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS - Launch Trailer

Time to get ready for tonight.​

Reactions: SkullMan
Sorry for the double post, but the Smash Bros 3DS update 1.0.2 is on the eShop right now - download it before you get the game so you don't have to worry about it. You NEED this update to play online mode.

It's just bug fixes.

Did it fix the ZSS vs. Robin infinite? That can burn for all I care.

If they got rid of Yoshi's egg teleport things, then I'll be upset.

Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS - Launch Trailer

Time to get ready for tonight.​

They seriously advertised each character with "THEIR OWN FINAL SMASH" and then showed Landmaster and Light Arrows?

I mean I don't realllllly care about duplicate final smashes but cmon

Reactions: SpaceCadetKeon
I had friends try to say Metroid Prime isn't a first person shooter just as much as Portal wasn't simply because "Its Nintendo" and "There's no online multiplayer" and Hunters is "On a portable".

Splatoon though
That game will mark a new era

Metroid Prime is a game about exploring and puzzle solving, not about shooting. Nintendo even classifies it as a First Person Adventure game, not a First Person Shooter. Just because something is in First Person and has guns doesn't mean it's an FPS, it has nothing to do with it being Nintendo. Is Mirror's Edge an FPS? I mean, you can get guns in that game and it's in first person. Hell, Metroid Prime doesn't even use the control scheme Sakurai mentions.

And Splatoon is actually a TPS, but it's okay since Sakurai was referring to shooters in general, not just FPS.

Metroid Prime is a game about exploring and puzzle solving, not about shooting. Nintendo even classifies it as a First Person Adventure game, not a First Person Shooter. Just because something is in First Person and has guns doesn't mean it's an FPS, it has nothing to do with it being Nintendo. Is Mirror's Edge an FPS? I mean, you can get guns in that game and it's in first person. Hell, Metroid Prime doesn't even use the control scheme Sakurai mentions.

And Splatoon is actually a TPS, but it's okay since Sakurai was referring to shooters in general, not just FPS.

You're right, what was I thinking
calling a game in the first person,
where your only method of combat is shooting,
a first person shooter.
It's not like wikipedia defines a first person shooter as a game with projectile-based combat viewed from the first person.
Or has Metroid Prime on their compendium of first person shooters.

Why do so many people call TF2 a first person shooter when it's so obviously a first person strategy game?

Apparently it's out in the eShop already in Sweden.

Freaking Sweden.

Metroid Prime is a game about exploring and puzzle solving, not about shooting.
I dunno man. The exploring is the bulk of it, but like, the exploring is the bulk of Pokemon too, but I wouldn't say that it's an "exploration adventure game". The actual progress by means of defeating adversaries and forces are through combat, which is done by shooting till they go pop in Metroid Prime.

You're right, what was I thinking
calling a game in the first person,
where your only method of combat is shooting,
a first person shooter.
It's not like wikipedia defines a first person shooter as a game with projectile-based combat viewed from the first person.
Or has Metroid Prime on their compendium of first person shooters.

Why do so many people call TF2 a first person shooter when it's so obviously a first person strategy game?

Morph Ball bombs/Power bombs/Screw Attack aren't shooting. :)

Morph Ball bombs/Power bombs/Screw Attack aren't shooting. :)

I hope you're not trying to get through all of Prime using only those weapons.
It'd be like getting through Ocarina of Time using only the slingshot, the boomerangs, and the iron boots.

There's a joke here somewhere, but alas, it has gone over my head.

You're splitting hairs.

Errrrr, it's neither...? Try first-person hat modeling sim.

i'm not sure why it isn't just a webseries at this point

Hey, does anyone wanna face me when they get Smash Bros? I'd just like to mess around and have a bit of fun figuring out how the new characters play.

I dunno, do we have a friend code sharing thread we can share info with for that reason?

Sadly isn't getting the game until Saturday. Will miss out on all the launch party shenanigans.

Woe is me.

Reactions: TailsWorld1
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... I want it so bad.

Every day I watch footage.
Every night I watch footage.

But never play. o-o I can never play...
Darn you money for existing but not around meeeeee!

I'm getting it tomorrow. I want it, but I don't want it that bad.
Least I can play as Rochelle.

I'm getting it tomorrow. I want it, but I don't want it that bad.
Least I can play as Rochelle.
Phi, you might wanna sit down. we got some bad news for ya....

What? What is it?

What? What is it?
Rochelle

she didn't make it... in the roster. I'm so sorry for your loss. :( you have my condolences.

No. She's totally there, she's just on disc DLC. Rochelle has to be in.
Pre order canceled

Reactions: SanoBaron
Sadly isn't getting the game until Saturday. Will miss out on all the launch party shenanigans.

Woe is me.

You're not alone in missing out on Smash until Saturday ;3;

Reactions: BeatNinja