• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Training Montage of Clawmaster

clawmaster

Reaction score
Website
www.clawmasterart.com
Steam
Clawmaster
Squigly Big Band
Okay so I have reached a point in my Skullgirls play that while I can easily take care of some players out there, I am still quite free to a good number of Skullgirls players out there. So I am making this in the effort to better my skills as a SG player, as well as finding ways to improve my game with Squiggly and Big Band.

So what team do you run?
I run Squiggly and Big Band. I normally use Squiggly's Cr.Hp for mix ups and pressure, but in that area I need to use her assist more often for Big Band. I often just have Big Band out there, and forgetting to called Squiggs from time to time. For Big Band, I 90% of time run A-Train. Reason being? I like to think that BB can take care of the air, while Squiggly take care of the ground game, and allows her to jump around more freely. Some have said its better to use Beat Extend in place of the A-Train but I like the benefit of what i can offer from having armor on the assist when BB comes out, and as a good anti-air mechanic.

What are known things you been told?
From what I been told, I need to work on better damaging combos, and mix ups. I am probably the most cleanest SG player in the SGC. and I what I mean in cleanest, I mean I don't do much mix ups. I been trying to get into the habit of putting in more mix ups into my game, and I have some, but not much. Another thing I been told is that I have a pretty good natural game (when I am into the zone) and pretty good in spacing. I play more of a zoneery type of play with Squiggs and BB. Keeping the player away a good distance or mid area.

What are some other things you been told to work on?
One of the issues I think I am starting to see, and was pointed out was that I don't handle pressure well from characters. If a rush down filla comes my way against squiggs, I often try to block as much as I can, and hope to land a hit to convert into a full combo. but I am starting to noticed it recently, and wondering what I can do to deal with pressure in the corner with Squiggs. Once I am in that vortex zone with Big Band, I am not sure what to do at all. Because of his big hurt box, it seems like I get hit with every mix up known to man with everyone. Maybe its the fact that these characters have a hard time dealing with getting out of the corner or pressure game from other characters but I think that is a weakness of mine I want to work on.

What are some videos you have been looking at for better combos and mix ups?
I been checking out the squiggly thread from time to time, and there is really good stuff in there. Especially for damaging combos. That's where I found a combo I am working now. Its not the most damaging combo but nearly 8k mid-screen, and corner combo solo over 8k. I been also been reading up on a full article on Big Band himself. While I know how to pull of a decent combo with Big Band, I think the one thing I honestly don't know what to use in situations of natural or in the corner is what normal's can I throw out there. so I been researching that in the Big Band thread

(http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=381822237)

This video was pointed out to me, since this player also use's A-Train, and I feel feels very similar to my play-style. Thanks @Dolfinh and Twerk!

https://t.co/NTt2gZFdx6

Right now, I am struggling to know what exactly I need to improve upon. I am going back to basics to learning new damaging combos, to eventually have it ingrained in my head by muscle memory, but I feel like my game as regressed in the past month or two. I want to take that next step, but I need help getting there. At this time I am getting the rust off from taking a break from SG, and getting back to the grind. I am trying to get start with just combos at first and reading up the Big Band article to know what I can throw out there with BB and his normals. Eventually once I feel good enough with my combos, I then try to add new mix ups over time. Its rather upsetting seeing everyone around me get better at this game that I love, and feeling that I been stuck in the same place, and always been outed pretty early in tournies. Its a marathon, not a sprint. but damn it sucks sometimes especially since I have the hunger to win.

*drinks rum* heres to my future in this game. cheers!

from
Clawmaster

My dude, you are a Squigly main, but every single time you had to write her name in that post you spelled it wrong

wtf m8

yea.....D: I wrote this at like 2 am when I was dead tired.

So went into the lab today, and was finding ways to convert off of jump ins into my new combos. I am able to land it about 70% of time in the lab, but when I played the matches, it was a bit of a hard time converting it into muscle memory in matches. Weird thing was I playing better tonight with Big Band. I think it has to do with being patient and not pushing too many buttons. but yea I have a combo or two that is well into the 8k + range, and I just need to practice to get it into muscle memory.

Holy shit...so I started watching more of the set between MMDS and 159Man and damn there was some crazy stuff that I plan on taking into my own game. I tried out the DHC with Squiggs doing the above her head SBO, after a grave digger into BB SSJ to see how it feels like. I landed, and then I incorporated into my current BnB, and holy shit. The damage from those two in that DHC just went over 10k damage for two meter. Also copying by using s.MP after A-Train hits to start combos off rather then what I was using before with S.Lk x2. wow....159man is my hero

Its been awhile since I last updated my progress on getting better in SG. Well I am still at the point where all I am doing is getting into muscle memory my new optimized combos. The more I practice, the more it would be ingrained in my fingers to pull it off. Other then that, I am still going back to my old bnb that does less damage, when needed. Other then that life has taken a front seat at this time, when it comes to school, and what not. so I haven't been playing as much as I wanted, but what I have done in place of that was started a new tournament series on Monday nights.

Monday Night Blockbuster has been getting better every week, and I been busy working on intros for players for my own tournament. So I think when I am officially done with school, I have more time to practice, and do lots of other things. What I can say from the times I have played, I been parrying more with BB, and trying to adapt the more smarter mentality since NEC is around the corner. I may not have the most damaging combos, but I am going to outsmart my opponents as much as I can at NEC. wish me luck guys!

Reactions: Kyugetsuki
okay so now that I had some time to think it over (and since I have time at work) here is my overall thoughts of my performance at NEC.

I think I did pretty well for myself at NEC, and surprised myself on how far I got. I went 2-2 and got a match off of Cloudking, which is no easy feat to get a win off one of the gods of SG. I lost to cloudking, and made it all the way up to losers semis where I lost to templehut. If I would of beaten him, and I would of had to play @FuLLBLeeD in losers finals to move on to top 16 I believe. So knowing that I was pretty close to making that far, has demonstrated to myself that my gameplay, and hard work into the game paid off. Even in casuals I was wrecking people, with the exception of getting wrecked by the likes of Mr. Peck, and Twerk. With that said, I feel like there are still some things to work on with my game, (optimize my combos better, have different combos for each BB assist ) I do believe I am getting better. I am very tempted to go to more majors to compete, but I think I should finish school first and take care of some life stuff before then. I still going to practice my game, but me going out to more majors will have to wait. Once I have my life stuff in order, I will then have some more time to go to more majors. Also lots more money ha. But I am pretty excited for big Super Battle Opera happening next month, so I get to play some more sets with people alongside getting some advice.

so wow, holy crap the event last nigh was insane. I was shitting bricks the entire time I was streaming SPS trying not to mess up the stream at any given moment. Luckly everything went pretty smoothly with the exception of the lobbies crashing but it didnt stop us from doing the stream. Thanks to @dapurplesharpie for all the help setting up the stream. I can't lie with all the new stuff that was kinda thrown at me at the last min she really is the star of the show last night. but still regardless was really fun, learned alot on the streaming side of things, as well as the matches themselves was great. Its a new year, and another year for me to improve on my game. Cant really go out much majors due to finishing school and life stuff, but I do intent to go to CEOaku this year. Always wanted to attend one of jabaliy's tournaments. loved watching it at home, and now I want to go experience it.

Reactions: dapurplesharpie
Things to work on after playing a set against Twerk:

1. Don't push too many buttons on defense. Learn to be patient?
2. Practice optimize combos every day
3. Learn another combo with Big Band

I am sure there be more down the road, but needed to get these written down. If any squiggs players want to comment on what exactly to put out there in natural by all means go for it. Currently looking at what other players do with squiggs in the natural. (fuzzy, 159man, and yaya)

I am pretty damn determined to get better this year.

Okay first off, didn't know this website was renamed to be under Skullgirls.com. Must of been recent, but anyways I wanted to write this down. I been using Beat Extend for the past several days, and managed to some most of my optimal combos off it, but I get less damage. I can see utility of it, and it creates that space or wall of preventing some characters to get in ( as well as mix ups) , but if I wanted damage right now I would stick to A-Train. Yea there is defintally more optimized combos out there, but one step at a time for me. Once I learn my new BnB damage, then i go to learn another optimized BnB.

I can definitely use it control space with Beat Extend, and at times even made some players question what they can do. so its good, but still working on it.

Okay first off, didn't know this website was renamed to be under Skullgirls.com. Must of been recent, but anyways I wanted to write this down.
Off-topic, but this isn't permanent. It's actually an error; the correct URL (skullheart.com) is having issues, so for the time being we're using the old skullgirls.com/forums. Some features don't work using the skullgirls.com/forums URL.

Off-topic, but this isn't permanent. It's actually an error; the correct URL (skullheart.com) is having issues, so for the time being we're using the old skullgirls.com/forums. Some features don't work using the skullgirls.com/forums URL.

ah okay. yea I was a little strange that none of the skullheart links was working off my RSS. good to know, thanks!

Reactions: Meow-Professor
looks like I got some motivation today. Yep now I am going to make my not only my goal, but my promise. I WILL get better at SG to beat a certain someone ass in tournament one day. Thanks for the motivation, :) I am going to enjoy beating you in tourny.

So I can't lie. Brass with Squiggs works very well for my playstyle. I am going to be looking up how Zeknife uses brass for his squid/Band and learn some tech from him. My goal eventually is to be really good with all three assists with BB alongside set ups for A-Train, Brass, and Beat Extend. Don't get me wrong, I love A-Train, and will always use it about 80% of the time. But the other 20% will be the other two assists. Also it seems like I am starting to starting to get into the habit of getting into my more optimal combos a bit more, and more lately. Eventually I be able to land my optimal combos with Squiggly like it was second hand nature.

Also due to recent events, I am adding EVO to my tournaments I am attending this year alongside CEOtaku.

Guess whos back playing SG? :) Been wanting to play SG again after a good month of playing nothing but SFV. I still play SFV but on the casual. For the at the next couple of weeks, going to shake off the rust and get back into game playing shape. So I am back on that SG grind. It's going to take me a bit to get back into where I left off in SG.

Also, after playing last night I think SFV patience has been carrying over. I was doing the usual pushing buttons to keep the natural and threat the other guy, and it dawned on me as I was doing this. Why am I pushing buttons from afar? I do the same in SFv but only at a distance where its safe. So I am going to try to not push buttons, and rather watch what my opponent does and re-act to that.

Last edited: