• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Timid Training Transcript

A good recommendation. Real match experience compliments training mode stuff well because it often exposes/highlights potential flaws in the stuff that you are working on. In particular, you need to be very careful of how both spacing and the differences in character's hurtbox can cause a combo to drop.

Cerebella's main restand is c.lk, c.mk, j.mp, j.hk(restand), as you've probably noticed by now from watching sets.

I strongly recommend that you try the advanced combo from the flowchart, learning that path leads to her best resets and most damaging combos.

This is what you should aim for:

c.lk, c.mp, c.hp,
j.mk, j.hk, c.lk(otg), c.mk, j.mp, j.hk(restand)
c.lp, c.mp, s.hk, light LnL(optional), Dynamo.

The timing might be hard at first, but this will REALLY help you in the future.

I recommend playing people on a regular basis on top of training mode grind. You should also go around and add different people because everybody has different playstyles and characters so it would be good to get used to those things. Skarmand however.... He made me take a break for an entire day with the beating I got from him...
I agree completely with this guy.

Combos matter, yes, but they're not as important as good spacing/neutral/movement, good pressure/mixup, good defense, etc. And you can only learn those in real matches.

Plus, you'll never really get your combos in until you're doing them (OE trying to do them, heh) in the pressure, chaos, and adrenaline of a real match. So it even matters from that angle. Try focusing more on playing games than spending time in training mode, IMO.

Understood, I'll take a break from the training room to do some arcade mode runs tonight, fight against actually moving opponents again. It has been a while since I've done any arcade mode runs. Thanks for all the suggestions and support everyone!

Understood, I'll take a break from the training room to do some arcade mode runs tonight, fight against actually moving opponents again. It has been a while since I've done any arcade mode runs. Thanks for all the suggestions and support everyone!

Eric Chen Erect:
"I recommend playing people"
"You should also go around and add different people"
+1

I think you'll learn a lot more in the beginner lobbies than you will in Arcade! AI in fighting games cheat with reaction time, blocking, and counters, it's just a dice roll chance which is higher in higher difficulties, I saw 3 beginner lobbies side by side earlier, you should go to those (Maybe start your own) or find a friend to play with, you might develop bad habits against the AI, but if you think Arcade is really for you then I guess I shouldn't stop you, either way sounds like you're making a lot of improvement! :)

Well already learned something, though not exactly earth shattering, from nightmare arcade runs. My Cerebella play is loads better then it was, I can almost perfect everyone up to to Marie just with Cerebella alone. Conversely, my Filia play is apparently much worse then I thought, I was losing and losing badly to the comp when I had Filia in.

Anyway, I guess I can play against real people too, I learn alot from training sessions with people, TheChrisMaxwell in particular has taught me loads in our matches together, but fighting against real people online that I don't know tends to fall into one of two categories: getting beat badly and having no idea what to do about it, or winning and feeling bad for beating people up who are clearly just trying to have some casual fun. I tend to prefer to lose against real people in general, just cause I hate knowing that whenever I win, I made some one else lose, seems selfish of me, probably why I tend to enjoy playing fighting games casually so much, I have fun messing around and they have fun cause they win lol. But if you guys really think I need to fight real people to improve further I guess there's no way around it. The the lobbies, away!

Yep. Agreed on playing people. The arcade mode was just to help you get a feel for fighting moving opponents and doing combos on them and giving you a way to play the game without the massive starting out frustration as what you were at first experiencing when playing against people.

Since you can now near perfect the nightmare ai, you've taken that lesson and passed with flying colors. People are definitely the way to the way to go from here. Never forget the lesson the computer taught you though. It's pretty good for getting your feet wet with a new character. Since your Bella is so much better than your filia currently... That probably cause you run Bella in front of filia. Try switching it up against the computer and running filia first if you already haven't.

Sorry I had to run the other day, my boy was really hungry so I had to make lunch then feed him, then play etc etc etc I will be able to play again in a couple of days time. Right now I'm out of my city at work in a very remote place in the desert doing maintenance on iron ore mining machinery. When I'm out here its 12 hour days, no good internet and 115 degree temperatures.

Anywho, yeah, will be back in a bit.

Make sure that you are spamming the hell out of those assists when you play. I want you to get used to the assist button and using it. Right now (or last time we played) you basically didn't use assists and that is really bad. I want you spamming updo as much as possible with the one caveat to try your best not to wiff it.

I don't want you attacking with any kinds of normals, I want you using assist for everything unless your assist is on cool down.

This isn't a way to play the game per se, it's training to get you used to using your assists. Assist are almost always a teams best attack so learning how to use them is a huge boost in your game and not using them is a huge detractor.

Training - Day of the Real People

So spent, I don't know, 4 hours last night between playing The Chris Maxwell and Nowhere Man (with a few matches against random strangers before Chris invited me to a private lobb). The Chris Maxwell included some training again, more getting in against zoning (this time vs peacock instead of parasoul) and learned some important stuff, like that I can't use cerebella's charge dash as its a free argus agony on reaction for Peacock. I also learned that I am completely free to Remember Remember the fifth of dismember, and that my Cerebella is not THAT far behind Chri's alts anymore, but that my Filia might as well be an old king of fighters 99' style Striker assist (aka, assist only) as, while very useful as an assist, she routinely got perfected or near perfected even against characters Chris wasn't very familiar with when I had to actually fight with her. Nowhere Man was just a series of 40 matches (I believe I went 31 and he went 9) while I'd occasionally chat with Chris and one of my other friends between matches, but was still good practice as we adjusted to each others styles and tried to re-adjust to each others adjustments. Although I didn't see Dime_X's post till after the matches were done, I did slowly try to incorporate more and more assist calling into my matches against Nowhere Man including a few matches where I nearly had updo assists on screen at all times, and while Nowhere Man did make me pay a few times for haphazardly calling Filia, for the most part I felt like the assists were giving me large advantage over my non-assisted play.

In another side note, I believe in a game against some random person I played in a lobby prior to the private lobby matches I finally got he Happy Birthday reference when I caught his assist with a combo that I played out to completion, killing off both characters with the final super resulting in my getting the Happy Birthday achievement. Still not really sure why its CALLED happy birthday, but since its an achievement from killing a player and their assist at the same time, the term being used for when you punish an assist makes sense.

Thanks go out to Chris and Nowhere for all the matches! Next time I go for some training I shall try some assist only play as suggested by Dime_X.

OH SHIT, I'M HITTING BOTH OF HIS CHARACTERS AT THE SAME TIME! IT MUST BE MY BIRTHDAY!

;)

Make sure that you are spamming the hell out of those assists when you play. I want you to get used to the assist button and using it. Right now (or last time we played) you basically didn't use assists and that is really bad. I want you spamming updo as much as possible with the one caveat to try your best not to wiff it.

I don't want you attacking with any kinds of normals, I want you using assist for everything unless your assist is on cool down.
Maybe this is a touch extreme? Especially with Filia on point, since I don't think she has any easy way to combo off of any of Bella's assists.

I would definitely learn to piano assists into almost every MP and HP input at neutral, though. Possibly not quite as relevant for the team he's playing (since s.HP is the Filia launcher, rather than just a big, high-damage, normal), but at least with a lot of teams, being able to piano something like s.HP~LK to get both a s.HP and an assist call simultaneously is amazingly useful, since those s.HPs are frequently great for controlling space, but bad on block; calling the assist with it helps negate that drawback.

Yes t is extreme. That is the point of training. If it isn't extreme it isn't good training. In dans case he doesnt call assists. I know this is because he hasn't (or hadn't) developed the muscle memory to call assists (believe it or not, even the ability to press 2 buttons on a diagonal, or to press an 8th button adjacent to the heavys, takes muscle memory)... Not much depending on the individual... But dan develops muscle memory very slowly, which is the reason for the extreme training. I'm breaking things down into their core steps.

In order to learn assist based play, dan has to actually start using assists. Leaving him to his own on this seems to move a bit to slowly, which is the reason for the assist drill.

It IS a drill. No more no less. Like a basketball player that shoots x number of shots a day to improve their shot...I'm taking assists and telling dan to call them... It's just like basketball... Rote memorization training. First thing he needs to learn is to actually use them....after that he can start thinking about HOW to use them... But from where I'm standing, having played against him and murdering him offensively and not having him use updo even once... That's a problem that he needs to get handled. I told him to pick updo so that he could have some defense. And then he doesn't even use it cause he forgets... That is unacceptable to his progress... So I gave him the drill that I did.

Also dan:

You are free to use normals and hitconfirm the assist etc etc etc. what you CANT do is start an attack while your assist is offscreen. You have to runaway and wait for your assist to be able to be called again.

This will teach you your assist buttons and will also teach you the downsides of calling assists and the downsides of NOT calling them. Before long, my hope is that you really start to see that downtime between when your assist got blocked or wiffed, as very detrimental to your game...once there, you will insert smart assists into your play, more.