• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Tips for Converting off of jHP?

fenster

Stop Bugging me about Avatars ;_;
Reaction score
Steam
fensterSA
Parasoul
This has always been something that bugged me, and I never saw any tips about it, so I'm hoping some of the experienced PW players can help out about this. jHP is a really good button, but often hard to convert off of. A lot of times, it seems to be dependent on distance/height. Does anyone have any notes or can share tips about the different heights and etc that you can convert off of assuming it's not something you can do a normal fly cancel jMK fly cancel jMK?

Back when I mained Painwheel, I remember on awkward hits where I couldn't do j.MK>fly>j.MK, at most heights I'd do something along the lines of j.HP and then cancel into j.HK before the last hit, because the last hit of j.HP launches them really far away, and then restanding with fly j.LP>j.LK if they were close to the ground and j.LP>j.MK if you were higher in the air. When they were pretty above me, I would cancel before the last hit again into an up forward j.LP>j.LK if they were close to the ground and j.LP>j.MK if they were higher, and take it from there with the second fly cancel if we were especially high in the air. Sometimes, when they're too high up or too far away to convert by chaining and flying - I'm sure there are spots due to hurtboxes and weird hits and all that, but I don't remember any situations - you could probably go into Thresher - again, canceling before the last hit of j.HP to ensure they'd fall into it - and then restand with j.MK, and if they're really high up, j.MP. In situations where you only get the last hit of j.HP, in some situations, I think you're probably just shit outta luck without certain assists, or even with any assist at all.

With all this said, I mained this character for, like, a month or two back when I got into this game last year, and only play her every now and then in casuals, so things might've changed a lot, and a lot of it might not work on some of the cast. I didn't get to play against many characters as a Painwheel main, and some characters I didn't do very well against because I wasn't a particularly good Painwheel in my opinion, so there may be some characters none of this would work on. Might be a lot. If all of this turns out to be worthless, then darn, my Painwheel advice giving might be as bad as my Painwheel is. Hopefully it'll at least give you some ideas to try out. @Elda Taluda and @NCV would probably be best to ask about this.

Last edited:
Reactions: fenster
You should consider :

- j.hp*, j.hk (if not too high and not too far away from the opponent)
- j.hp xx fly, 9j.mk, j.hp*, j.hk (works at higher heights)

* means cancel j.hp before the last hit

if the opponent is far away enough that j.hp xx j.mk would whiff, you can try those instead :

- j.hp xx lk buer (no conversion, just some damage)
- j.hp xx lk buer xx fly, 9j.mp (conversion possible if close to the corner)

- j.hp* xx thresher xx fly, j.mk / j.mp depending on height (or any personal preference for the conversion)
- j.hp*, j.hk xx thresher …
- j.hp* xx mk buer xx thresher …

see this video for examples :

- j.hp* xx mk buer xx fly, j.mp should also work (and doesn't need meter) but may be character / height dependent, I forgot to show that in the video