• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Toonami Thread

What do you Guys think of
"Sand, Whale and Me"?

Quick Bio on the show for the peeps not aware of this little "mini series"?
It's a short series (an eps is about 5 mins) that are made by the same peeps who made the Ghost in the shell movie that came out.

Which has been airing on toonami for what I'm pretty sure was for a marketing campaign from the peeps who made the shell movie. I mean I can't blame the marketing peeps for getting toonami in on it since for peeps without crunchy roll (like me) come to the channel every Saturday for our anime fix ~ w ~)
(Love Jojo and the amazing Samurai Jack reboot btw)
Only makes since to market at the place where peeps come to see that sorta thing. ╹‿╹)

Economics aside, The show is- Uh...
(Crap how do I put this.) Really, Really, Really freakin weird.
I know tom himself told us to not think about things to hard while watching but.. I _ I)

Gonna be honest, Not all that sure what the hell is going on and what it all means but hey. Maybe it's not meant to be 'thought about' or something like that =P

Anyway what are your thoughts on it?

Man, that Samurai Jack episode had it all
Stuff that happened after some famous episodes, a new Ashi look, and Demongo's fucking back from the dead? It was great
Though man, the thing that got me was
"He looked like a talking penis!"

Last edited:
That episode just goes to show you that vulgar language can be really, really funny as long as you use it as sparingly as possible

So are we gonna talk about the fact that Aishi and here sisters, and probably the whole clan was naked the whole time? Or more accurately, STAINED BLACK FROM FUCKING COALS?!

So are we gonna talk about the fact that Aishi and here sisters, and probably the whole clan was naked the whole time? Or more accurately, STAINED BLACK FROM FUCKING COALS?!
I think it's telling of how batshit that cult was, like how is that even practical?? They probably were going to die of natural elements in two days time if Jack didn't off most of them

"Sorry we spent all of our budget on the building and the masks, it's a shame really."

That awkward realization that Ashi and her sisters were nearly naked all this time.

Also

50 years have past, but ... my dance moves have not gone out of style.

I'm amused how some people find Tom Kenny saying "penis" more jarring that Jack's first kill.

I did not expect a Dean Martin song. That took me by surprise...

Even more than the kiss.

I refer back once again to my previous post.

Lol, people on tumblr are fucking pissed about tonight's episode.
theyre even saying it's "the Herero agenda" and dumb shit, fuck off.
Jack has had other romantic interests before, this one is no different.

I'm more concerned about how Ashi is probably 18 at best and Jack is at least 72 by this point.
tbh, I have a feeling that it's gonna be considered fine since Jack stopped aging a long time ago. Plus, it's not the first time Jack has had a romantic interest. It's happened in both the comic and the show, granted, both those times were Aku in disguise, but yeah, Ashi had more time with development than the one episode and issue stands.

Plus, once you involve time travel, rules become a lot different.

tbh, I have a feeling that it's gonna be considered fine since Jack stopped aging a long time ago. Plus, it's not the first time Jack has had a romantic interest. It's happened in both the comic and the show, granted, both those times were Aku in disguise, but yeah, Ashi had more time with development than the one episode and issue stands.

Plus, once you involve time travel, rules become a lot different.
I'd like to throw in my own couple of cents, but I felt it was.....odd. I think the pacing makes it feel a bit cramped for this sudden love interst to show up after all the shit Jack wen through in the span of a few episodes go from trying to kill to reformed to SO.[

I can understand why people are mad, it just feels forced kinda./spoiler]

given the ending, i think i'll wait to see how future events develop.

was it just be a "in the moment" kind of thing or will the relationship get more involved beyond a simple "we just survived a near death experience"

i certainly expect more awkward and embarrassed dialogue.
The show has been so amazing, I want to see how it all plays out. Besides, we have only two episodes left anyway.

I'd like to throw in my own couple of cents, but I felt it was.....odd. I think the pacing makes it feel a bit cramped for this sudden love interst to show up after all the shit Jack wen through in the span of a few episodes go from trying to kill to reformed to SO.[

I can understand why people are mad, it just feels forced kinda./spoiler]
This is more what tumblr is mad about.
660.png

Reactions: Dragonage2ftw
This is more what tumblr is mad about.
660.png
That's exactly what I'm talking about. It just seems unnecessary. It doesnt really feel genuine at all with the pacing so far. And People are complaining because its usually the sign of bad writing we've seen a million times before.

I usually like refering back to this scene.

I could buy Aishi being reformed so quickly. I do not buy her falling for him that quickly.

Reactions: Dr.Sanity
Looking around everywhere it seems its pretty divided, but I think my main problem is that this is set up for something dangerously predictable.

Option A) Aishi suddenly gets hit with the plot says so disease, puttiing her in danger and possibly killed
Option B) Jack will be conflicted about going to the past and undoing all he ever did
Option C and D) Aishi travels with Jack to the past or Jack Stays in the future and kills Aku.

My initial opinion is that I'm not sure its "true love" or just an "in the moment" kind of thing after almost getting eaten by a space hive mind.

I expect the first minutes of the next episode will be super awkward.

Jack's gonna have his rematch with the blue guardian next episode, FYI. Rematch of da century

Here's my opinion of it: boring.

It's just, like, whatever? because it's romance number 5098341 in a thing that honestly didn't need a romance aspect. People expected a father/daughter esque relationship between Jack and Aishi because it seemed the most natural route to go down. For a show as amazing as Samurai Jack "whatever" is pretty disappointing is the problem.

Also recently the term "Born Sexy Yesterday" was coined and became popular (referring to lady who is, while mature in body, is incredibly inexperienced with the world and naive/childlike who inevitably gets paired up with the guy) so this was a little bit of bad timing that added to people being unhappy with the show. It doesn't 100% explain people's reactions but I just felt like throwing that out for context because I honestly think it added to this

Episode was practically made for Zone to exploit use.

Reactions: HeadcrabNinja
I've found that the kiss has been pretty much split down the middle in terms of fan reactions, but at least we can all agree it's been great material for shitting on tumblr, which is always a good thing.

C_bMb-rUMAEG4AT.jpg:large

And also, I think it's hilarious that people are trying to push the idea that Jack is actually Genndy's self-insert in the story. My response, keep crying.

while surprisingly specific and may/may not fit the situation, the term honestly shouldn't be a part of why people don't like the scene, it just has/had no part in it

I follow like 8+ people on Tumblr who all reacted negatively to the episode and reblogged lots of posts on their thoughts to explain why they didn't like it but this is the first I've heard of that argument tbh

The joke is that tumblr hated it
You brought up that people on tumblr didn't like it
How does this take away anything from the image I posted?

Also, for everyone saying that the relationship came out of nowhere, we had multiple episodes where Ashi is forming an affection for Jack, and for Jack's sake, I feel he is into someone who is into him and ISNT Aku in disguise. Like, the only thing about this is the similarities Jack and Ashli are having to Guts And Caska.

Also, enjoy the voice actors of these characters SOAKING IN the salt
fa0.jpg

Last edited:
I thought we were talking about the Genndy self insert part

Oh, I've seen that more on twitter than on tumblr.
Again, I find that a VERY weak argument against it and holds no value.

I never saw the affection for Jack. I saw Aishi realizing Jack was a good person, and that he wasnt the antichrist she was raised up to learn, but nothing about their interactions felt like "God I want to smooch this man."

Also as Dr.Sanity mentioned, the Born Sexy Yesterday trope was coined a few days prior so it was making rounds around when a prime example just happened to pop up.

Reactions: Dr.Sanity
Also, there's a post I'll link that pretty much sums up why the born sexy yesterday trope is complete shit for pushing it on Ashi and how pushing that trope on her completely ignores a lot of stuff about her character.
028.png