• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Toonami Thread

Well Space Dandy sure took a turn for the heart-warming.
Especially after that "zombie apocalyspe leading to universal peace" nonsense.

Episode 5 was pretty good, but I feel it could have been better. I didn't really like how they handled the first half of the episode, but the second half was great, even if the misunderstanding was cliche. Music was glorious.

I see the little girl returning, but not for quite a while.

Did my eyes deceive me? Were those...SUBTITLES on a Toonami show??

Ratings tanked, toonami is cancelled.

I've missed Space☆Dandy for the past 3 weeks, I really have to catch up.

I've missed Space☆Dandy for the past 3 weeks, I really have to catch up.

Nah, don't waste your time. :)

No see unlike you I actually really like this show, it's not a waste at all. :)

I was really hoping this past episode would change my mind! I had high hopes. :/

I love Space Dandy, I look forward to it every saturday night XD Dandy is such a loveable guy.

This episode was so sad and heart tugging, but very enjoyable :3

I love Space Dandy, I look forward to it every saturday night XD Dandy is such a loveable guy.

Say what?!!! No he's not!!! He's a typical sleeze ball with a sexist attitude! Maybe it's because I'm female that I'm seeing things differently, but I will tell you this: if you act like Dandy, don't be surprised to get some slaps in the face from women; being like him certainly won't get you the girl you want to spend your life with!

tumblr_n0fdh7dTmH1rk9xvwo1_500.png

I've only heard rumors of next week's SAO

its gonna be really bad isn't is it?

Say what?!!! No he's not!!! He's a typical sleeze ball with a sexist attitude! Maybe it's because I'm female that I'm seeing things differently, but I will tell you this: if you act like Dandy, don't be surprised to get some slaps in the face from women; being like him certainly won't get you the girl you want to spend your life with!
it's pretty obvious guys arent supposed to act like dandy when he tries to pick up chicks. in fact, a lot of times his tactics fail because they are pretty skeazy. its not hiding the fact that dandy is an idiot when it comes to women. thats like saying acting like Johnny Bravo will get women to hate you. of course it will, because women hate Johnny Bravo. (except the rare times his charms actually work)

the thing is Dandy is a massive idiot, and thats what makes him so lovable as a character. he doesn't hide the fact that he's a complete imbecile but still sticks to his morals no matter what. oh he oggles women's breasts and tries to cop a feel but Dandy will still stick to his own set of morals no matter who disapproves. and its not like the women are just like "oh Dandy, you crazy guy." the zombie episode had the nurses slapping his hands away and Scarlet has proven that his tactics dont work that often. Honey is a different story though because she shows interest in what Dandy does and the fact that he's a valued customer to Boobies (which is a parody on hooters, which is such an awesome referrence to american culture)

he's lovable because he doesn't hide his inner idiot, but wears it proudly like his pompadour and I salute this character for sticking to his strengths and faults.

I'm not trying to sound like I'm mad but I will say its a little close minded to judge a character on one aspect rather than the whole. I mean its not like he drugs women into sleeping with him.

A bit of a correction and to add:

Dandy's most "endearing" trait is that he's blissfully -unaware- of the fact he is a buffoon. He lacks almost all the qualities of an ideal (space) hero. He's Captain Kirk, Flash Gordon and Han Solo without the resourcefulness, wit, ability and cunning of either. This is continually lampshaded by the supporting cast. He is a parody of classic male bravado especially in the golden age of science fiction but beyond that there isn't more to the character. There may be more to Dandy but as for now he's one dimensional since his role is to run the same gag.

As for Dandy and women, Dandy thinks he's god's gift to women and so he sexualizes and creeps on female characters. His best "success" rate with women only appears to be at a restaurant where the women are paid to "like" his advances or do like them genuinely because they are just as if not more ignorant than he is. While the aforementioned heros have no problem with women, Dandy is a pathetic dudebro creep with no game to speak of and is why he frequents Boobies. It's a funny joke but one that is a bit too granular for many viewers that both that love and hate the show. It is also a joke that is a bit too repetitive that will grow tired and formulaic if there aren't more episodes like episode to develop Dandy as a character and make him liked beyond his flaws which are a foil to tell a joke.

Dandy as a character isn't intended as character to liked or admired but a character for the viewer to enjoy watching a failed "hero" Forrest Gump his way in and out of different situations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broseidon Rex
Dandy's most "endearing" trait is that he's blissfully -unaware- of the fact he is a buffoon. He lacks almost all the qualities of an ideal (space) hero. He's Captain Kirk, Flash Gordon and Han Solo without the resourcefulness, wit, ability and cunning of either.
I have a quicker way to summarize dandy:
He's Zapp Brannigan.

His voice is also smooth as fuck so he's got that going for himself too

I have a quicker way to summarize dandy:
He's Zapp Brannigan.

PERFECT

totally forgot about Futurama but yes, he's Anime Zapp.

All I'm going to say is give Dandy a fucking chance to show his true potential.
We're only 5 episodes in and everyone is already analyzing him like there's nothing more to learn.
Let's just wait and see who this guy really is before we all start judging him based on nothing but first impressions.

his bad first impressions are hilarious though
i don't mind more of those

I mean, if Dandy is "bad" after just 5 episodes, what does that say about Johnny Bravo, which is pretty much Space Dandy but... LESS of an idiot? MORE?

okay, there needs to be a stupid off between Johnny Bravo and Space Dandy.

Reactions: Denizen and Jutsei
I mean, if Dandy is "bad" after just 5 episodes, what does that say about Johnny Bravo, which is pretty much Space Dandy but... LESS of an idiot? MORE?

okay, there needs to be a stupid off between Johnny Bravo and Space Dandy.
Johnny Bravo must have been at least a partial inspiration for Space Dandy.
My money is on Dandy, unlike Bravo he actually has a hint of heroism in him.

Yeah but Johnny was brave when he was too stupid to realize the danger he was in.

Reactions: Denizen
How many episodes will Space Dandy have?

First off, I didn't mean to start some heated discussion or anything. I was just stating my opinion on the character and it contributes to me disliking this show. Sure, maybe it's a bit closed minded, but seeing male characters objectify women on a regular basis (and real men), it gets old fast.

Consider the five episodes like chapters in a book. Personally, if I didn't like the first two chapters, I'd bail. First impressions are a big thing.

First off, I didn't mean to start some heated discussion or anything. I was just stating my opinion on the character and it contributes to me disliking this show. Sure, maybe it's a bit closed minded, but seeing male characters objectify women on a regular basis (and real men), it gets old fast.
I'm not condoning what Dandy does, I would never do that, I'm simply looking past it.

The guy is more than just a sexist sleeze ball, he has the makings of a real hero and that's far more important than any of his negative character traits. Yeah, he tries (and fails) to grab ass from time to time, so what? I think from the last episode we can all see that this flaw pales in comparison to kindness he's capable of. Sorry, but I just get really pissed off when people make a single flaw the defining trait of a character, especially when they themselves have plenty of flaws as well.

It's alright for you to not like the show, but you don't need to condemn Dandy just because he's a skirt-chaser.

Last edited:
So far Dandy has proved (especially episode 5) he is at least a better person morally then one dimensional characters like Johnny Bravo or Zapp Brannigan who are ass characters for the sake of being an ass on their shows . There is more to him then what he lets out on the surface. My best comparison character to Dandy would have to be Sakata Gintoki from the long running sci-fi shonen work Gintama.

For those not familiar with the work, Gintoki the main character is a lazy and vulgar samurai who runs an "odd jobs" buisness (hmm... Dandy buisness is capture mysterious aliens) with hobbies such as gambling, drinking, reading JUMP, eating sweets, and getting horny over the weather girl (hmm Dandy has similiar unimpressive hobbies) while having two young subordinates who on the surface he don't seem to care about (dandy has a similiar relationship with his two subordinates) with only short term goals such as make enough money to pay the monthly rent (dandy has similar money issues along with short sightness).

Despite all of these questionable life choices, gintoki has an ironclad bushido code he follows that seems to redeem his character such as protecting those he cares about (haven't seen too much of that from Dandy in serious moments yet besides the little girl), stopping corrupt people oppressing others that he comes across (Dandy hasn't faced this yet), does "odd jobs" where he doesn't even ask for money in the end (Dandy was shown to refuse money for the moral highroad), etc

In short both of those characters are the type of person that would say one thing but act another way. They would usually lie about their true intentions (Dandy says he going to Boobies but instead tracks down girl's grandpa) for the sake of protecting the other person as they help from the shadows. Again most of this redeeming criteria for Dandy was mostly from episode 2 and 5 where there were serious moments involved. I'm not gonna expect alot of episode 5 material from Dandy since the show is comprised of 80% comedy 20% serious which is roughly what Gintama was.

So far Dandy has proved (especially episode 5) he is at least a better person morally then one dimensional characters like Johnny Bravo or Zapp Brannigan who are ass characters for the sake of being an ass on their shows . There is more to him then what he lets out on the surface. My best comparison character to Dandy would have to be Sakata Gintoki from the long running sci-fi shonen work Gintama.

For those not familiar with the work, Gintoki the main character is a lazy and vulgar samurai who runs an "odd jobs" buisness (hmm... Dandy buisness is capture mysterious aliens) with hobbies such as gambling, drinking, reading JUMP, eating sweets, and getting horny over the weather girl (hmm Dandy has similiar unimpressive hobbies) while having two young subordinates who on the surface he don't seem to care about (dandy has a similiar relationship with his two subordinates) with only short term goals such as make enough money to pay the monthly rent (dandy has similar money issues along with short sightness).

Despite all of these questionable life choices, gintoki has an ironclad bushido code he follows that seems to redeem his character such as protecting those he cares about (haven't seen too much of that from Dandy in serious moments yet besides the little girl), stopping corrupt people oppressing others that he comes across (Dandy hasn't faced this yet), does "odd jobs" where he doesn't even ask for money in the end (Dandy was shown to refuse money for the moral highroad), etc

In short both of those characters are the type of person that would say one thing but act another way. They would usually lie about their true intentions (Dandy says he going to Boobies but instead tracks down girl's grandpa) for the sake of protecting the other person as they help from the shadows. Again most of this redeeming criteria for Dandy was mostly from episode 2 and 5 where there were serious moments involved. I'm not gonna expect alot of episode 5 material from Dandy since the show is comprised of 80% comedy 20% serious which is roughly what Gintama was.
so what you're saying is...

he's a gintobravigan in space.

Johnny Bravo must have been at least a partial inspiration for Space Dandy.

Somebody seems to have forgotten the episode entitled "Bravo James Bravo" where he defeated a bunch of soldiers with a comb bomb and received a reward at the end for saving the lovely agent Jane.

Last edited:
I'm not condoning what Dandy does, I would never do that, I'm simply looking past it.

The guy is more than just a sexist sleeze ball, he has the makings of a real hero and that's far more important than any of his negative character traits. Yeah, he tries (and fails) to grab ass from time to time, so what? I think from the last episode we can all see that this flaw pales in comparison to kindness he's capable of. Sorry, but I just get really pissed off when people make a single flaw the defining trait of a character, especially when they themselves have plenty of flaws as well.

It's alright for you to not like the show, but you don't need to condemn Dandy just because he's a skirt-chaser.

So, as long as you're a "hero," you can do and say whatever you want? You can be a total sexist and attempt-groper and treat women like all their good for is boobies and big asses???

So, as long as you're a "hero," you can do and say whatever you want? You can be a total sexist and attempt-groper and treat women like all their good for is boobies and big asses???
No, it just means that he isn't a bad person, I like to use firefighters as an example in these cases. A firefighter could be a real cheap asshole, the kind of person that never pays back borrowed money or picks up the tab. In the end though he's still the guy that's going to risk his life to pull you out of a burning building and save yours. It's the same with Dandy, he may be a T&A obsessed imbecile, but he still gave up a ton of money and several days of his time just so he could help reunite a little orphan girl with her grandfather. If that doesn't make you a good person then I don't know what does.

Also you're really exaggerating things, half of what you say about Dandy isn't even true, I think you're just being really biased in your judgement of him.

Last edited:
Also the women Dandy hits on never are dis-empowered so Dandy can continue doing what he does. Scarlet brushes him off and the nurses kept slapping his hand away & calling him out on his shit.

Also the women Dandy hits on never are dis-empowered so Dandy can continue doing what he does. Scarlet brushes him off and the nurses kept slapping his hand away & calling him out on his shit.
No one here condones what he does, and absolutely no one has been hurt by what he does.

I don't think there's any reason to hate Dandy, in fact there are far more reasons to love him.

Well for someone reason that gorilla character has some type of grudge on Dandy for whatever reason and stalks his ass constantly.

What if the Gorilla guy is Space Narutaki?!

which would explain how he got Super-1's belt!

200px-Geru_portal.jpeg

"Onore Dandy!

Last edited:
So guys, some awesome news.
On their tumblr, Toonami confirmed that not only are story events coming back.
They're starting with a sequel to the very first one.
The Intruder.
AKA, the first event that made Toonami awesome, and ended with the death of TOM 1 (Prompting Steve Blum as TOM 2)
Now the blob that took out a TOM and an Engine is coming back in an undetermined date in 2015.
So pull up your chairs.

Also, in less mind blowing news.
It turns out Toonami exists in the East.
Not as a block, mind you. AS a channel. Run by an AI from the future named NAMI.
Not only that, it runs predominantly Western Shows.
So it's basically Bizarro Toonami.

The rare story events were one of the big things (if not the biggest) that made the block an exciting experience to watch.

Had to watch this again. Tom 1 getting killed off was something difficult for my younger self to process especially when Optimus Prime is saying "Tom is dead!" on a children network lol

Toonami actually linked that on their twitter, too.
Saying to "brush up", because some things might get referenced in Intruder 2.

I never caught much of this mini-event, I didn't know TOM died until the advertisement for TOM 2.
But seeing it here, even knowing it coming was. Wow. I can see how kids would be traumatized by that.
He went out like a chump, basically. For all his coolness and stuff, he still was cornered like an animal with no chance to fight back.

I literally never noticed the Intruder floating by in space at the end.
I was like "OH SHIT THEY PLANNED THIS"

As long as Tom doesn't die again (And I doubt he'd let that shit happen twice, plus he's smarter and voiced by Steve Blum now!), we're cool.
This'll be fucking awesome.

I'm assuming at least the ship engines will get wrecked by the intruder again which will lead into another fan vote to decide a new one. Yeah Tom 1 was screwed from the beginning when he tried to face it. Even an overcharged shot barely slowed it down. At least he went down shooting, but damn he panicked as he was engulfed which I imagine would be a normal reaction.

Either the current Tom is gonna flee from it again by separating the ship (doubt they will try the same outcome twice) or he will take it out somehow once and for all (again I doubt this too since Toonami loves cliffhangers).

Reactions: Jutsei
Pretty much, he at least had one more shot out at it. Ah well. But I think so too, the damn thing barely reacted to any shots. Hopefully they take care of it in a more satisfying way this time. Even as a kid I thought "Aw man, they're just amputating the engines? Oh well."
Though I do think the stakes will be higher this time.
If it's the same blob from the last time (And there's no reason to not think that), then it should be even bigger and stronger from eating the engine. Cut-off or not that thing should still have a lot of juice in it.

I really hope they don't kill Tom again.

If they are gonna kill Tom, at least kill this one
TOM4.jpg

I was not a fan of Tom 4 and being that he was the last Tom before Toonami went off the air makes his image leave a bad taste in my mouth.

what are you talking about
TOM 4 already went out with a
Bang...

I'd rather he went out with a bang.... by an explosion.... or a bullet to the face....