• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Training mode requests

Zidiane

Doing my best
Reaction score
Steam
Zidiane
PSN
zidiane5
XBL
Zidiane
Cerebella
I would like to be able to save multiple save states, like I can save multiple dummy actions.

Also, I would like to have an additional dummy actions. What would really be swell would be if while you are recording an action for the dummy to do to you, you could have the not-dummy, the character you were using, do a certain thing. I would be fine with just blocking (with options like the normal dummy has), but having it jump, mash something, or hold a direction would also help. Some setups I need to try force me to get it on the dummy, have the dummy do it to me while I mash a thing, and then I realize it's not working, but then I have to wonder whether or not it was just cause I messed the dummy up when I recorded it. And then I have to try again several times, and even then I still am unsure until I get whatever I was trying to actually work.

Anyone else got any Training Mode Requests, you can put them here.

Last edited:
Reactions: gllt
i would like if you could set up training lobbies with more than two people.

Reactions: Stormblessed
I would like user-defined comboes that are displayed similarly to the tutorials. It'd be more practical than tabbing out to some BnB video and then tabbing back.

It's unrealistic to expect it given the current workload on Mike's plate but a pipedream's a pipedream.

Reactions: Stormblessed
when to see when something is armored and what type of armor it is

Reactions: dragonos451
Can p1 please get dummy settings while recording p2s moves? that way I can practice against long blockstrings and such.

Maybe I should explain this a bit. When I record for the dummy to do things like any string or whatever I'm only allowed to things on hit since p1 is now acting like the dummy but since it's p1 it also ignores dummy settings so it doesn't block even if I set dummy to block. I want to record something to practice parrying later.

(Maybe even a big band parry all setting for the dummy if at all possible)

EDIT: Zidiane already said this basically so I'll just call this a bump.

Last edited:
- An option to change the damage ratio regardless of team size
- Would it be possible to change a character's assist without going back to character select? Not sure how doable this is and if it would need some UI to go with it.

Right now, i'd be OK with just having access to training options when training online, and the console room/PC lobby host would be the one to change. Or, maybe even set up training lobbies and sessions using training options as a search/setup filter online if pause menus while online can't be done.

• Option for a grid overlaid on the screen so I can accurately eyeball distances for setups and combo possibilities. (Unlike the floor in the Training Stage, it would be unwarped by perspective and also cover more than just the floor)
  • A unique color for Hitbox display and Advanced Attack Data display for armored frames.
  • A "90 frames" Burst option (the point when the burst is always unpunishable).
  • Input Display Framecounter.
  • Attack Data windows toggleable per side (so the Attack Data would be visible for P1 only, for example, also see below for individual window options).
  • Delayed Playback for Load + Playback Select Button option (when you load the state, instead of immediately playing back the game remains paused for 3/2/1 seconds and displays a countdown timer where the play/pause icon is).
  • Crossup Notification (Training Mode-exclusive hitstun flash color for moves that connect while the attacker is facing the wrong direction relative to their center point)
  • Starting Position (I know you can just Play Again and hold a direction, but this saves forgetting to hold and adds other positions like "back to corner," "25% from left facing right," "fullscreen with incoming," etc)
  • Disable Super KO screen
  • Disable Pocolla Effect
  • Disable P1/P2/Rockefeller Voice (sometimes you wanna do a Big Band Music Combo without hearing hentai moans)
  • Slowmo on Death option
  • Recovery Bar, stackable with Hitstun Bar
  • otg Bar, stackable with Recovery + Hitstun Bars
  • AI Reaction Time options for blocking/teching/Reversal Playback
  • Training Options divided into categories, each with their own menu instead of (or in addition to!) just a single huge one
  • IPS-Watched Input Display (Attack Data Window Option)
  • Meter Gain, absolute Meter display like HP (Attack Data Window Option)
  • Teammate HP Display (Attack Data Window Option)
  • Double's barrel sets you on fire, also is mandatory and not an option and happens outside of Training Mode

Press select while the game is paused to remove the options menu and turn off all HUD and just display a still of the current frame, for screen shots.
This is probably not going to happen. If it were easy it would already have been there for a year. Unfortunately with Otter it's not easy.

And then @Mike_Z was all like*, "Yeah, these are totally possible.

A534053701B9798E52DEA4E6130777CA84781F7B
B7398325E5E46D8360369073879C6521161C6948

"But lmfao if you think they're gonna go live before Beowulf does."

*Mike Z didn't actually say any of this**

**Well, not in these words exactly. He did express that these won't be in the Eliza patch.

When controlling the dummy, have the dummy settings/options apply to your original character.
ie.: Have the dummy settings apply to whichever side you're not controlling.

It's hard to set up things on block using the dummy when the not-dummy can't block or tech.

Reactions: zeknife
I have a few requests.

Fix the training dummy bursting on blue knockdown at max undizzy/IPS, since players can't actually do it themselves.

Fix the training dummy not teching on on blue knockdown if they are set to never escape infinite combos.

Make "random" on ground tech include Not ground teching. Make the old random a "Left/Right" option.

Add an option to delay burst for 0-60 frames.

Add an option to delay pushblock for 0-60 frames.

Add an option to put Drama on player 1 side.

Increase the "blocking after first hit" window, since it's a bit too short to cover common delayed hit options.

I have a few requests.
Fix the training dummy bursting on blue knockdown at max undizzy/IPS, since players can't actually do it themselves.
But you can do that, in the same situation the dummy does, which is when they hit the ground and the OTG isn't used up. Just don't hold f/b when you press buttons. Ex: Big Band corner s.HP /\ j.MP->HP xx Cymbals \/ /\ Cymbals. Dummy will burst when they hit the floor, players also can. But doing s.HK, s.LK->s.HP /\ j.MP->HP xx Cymbals \/ /\ Cymbals, the dummy won't burst and neither can a player.
A reminder that the training mode stuff goes through the same interface as the player, a joystick and buttons.

Reactions: ClarenceMage
A moving frame counter like vf5. That way we can see how long in frames it takes us to do dp motions, how many frames a dash is and its startup before moving, and how many frames various jumps are.

If this is achievable, the vf frame counter is a very good example of what to go for, it counts idle frames and tracks stick movement with frames (which was VERY good for learning stuff like that one characters perfect input command grab) and stuff.

But you can do that, in the same situation the dummy does, which is when they hit the ground and the OTG isn't used up. Just don't hold f/b when you press buttons.

Then the dummy should do that if they are set to not ground tech. They do this when they're set to ground tech forward or backward, which is done by holding forward/back and mashing butons.

Then the dummy should do that if they are set to not ground tech. They do this when they're set to ground tech forward or backward, which is done by holding forward/back and mashing butons.
Or y'know ground tech is done by pressing a button once, and you can choose whether it's a burst or not by not holding f/b when pressing that one button once.
I sort of think bursting-when-possible is highest priority for the dummy if they are told to burst since it shows when they are ALLOWED to burst, which is why it is the way it is.

can playback be paused during superflash/anything that takes up time from the recording or something? pls?

What is /\ \/?
jump / land

can playback be paused during superflash/anything that takes up time from the recording or something? pls?
I increased the playback time to 60 sec instead of 20 (after console Eliza was submitted, sorry consoles) but the short answer to this is...no, not really. Your character CAN receive input on any frame, and the game has no easy way of knowing when it counts.

Would like to make a suggestion about IPS display. I'd like it to stay lit up after you finish a combo, and only go away when you start a new combo. That way you can look at it and go "hmm, it looks like I can add one'a these" because it's kinda hard to look at it and do a combo at the same time while also remembering which ones you didn't do.

Would it be too much to ask for the ability to tell the dummy to delay the combo burst for however many frames in addition to how many hits after they become burst-ready? That way it can help mimic human players <since not everyone immediately bursts on hit even when they do actually burst>, and it would be good to see how long you have after a given attack to either move away from the burst or cancel into another move to try and cancel it out <like from an armored move and such other things.>

Colorblind-friendly hitboxes? Red/green is just about the absolute WORST combination for this. I think there's yellow in there too? Orange? Some kind of other green? I have no idea.

I can't tell what I'm looking at because it feels as if a wicker basket has been pulled over my eyeballs. All I can tell is that there are a LOT of boxes, the collision was meticulously done.

SF4 hitbox viewer has a brighter green and a darker red. SSB Melee's viewer has yellow hurtboxes. Mugen has a dark blue instead of green. If I had a better suggestion, I'd give one.

Reactions: joshb911
Colorblind-friendly hitboxes? Red/green is just about the absolute WORST combination for this.
Oh hey, why hasn't that been mentioned before? Yeah lemme put up some test images for you tomorrow or something.

Training mode request:

Add "walk forward" and "walk backward" to the training mode dummy.

The reason being because the dummy while not walking backward, is easy to crossup from certain resets but as soon as it holds backwards it becomes harder to crossup and the crossup is a different timing.

Recording the dummy walking backwards yields weird results. What i want is for the dummy to start moving backwards as soon as i hit them. A further option for jumping backwards would also be good after hit.

And not a training mode. Request but a different one:

Can we have a togglable superjump? Im terrible at superjump inputs even with the superjump input leniency. So a nice PP toggle to get out superjumps would be nice. Balanceable by maybe making superjump pp input have a much bigger section where it cant be blocked during. Or something. It doesnt have to be pp either... It could be both assist macros at the same time as an example.

Reactions: ClarenceMage
Couldn't it be set to walk backwards as a response to a hit in a save state and just not have the side correction on so it'll keep walking one way after the crossup?

Request for block delay option for dummy (that is the ability to decide how many frames after a combo the dummy will not auto block). Purpose to allow for proper mixup timing and reset research. Other uses: delayed DT bursts baits with frame perfect precision. Thank you in advance

Recording the dummy walking backwards yields weird results. What i want is for the dummy to start moving backwards as soon as i hit them. A further option for jumping backwards would also be good after hit.

Can you should be more specific? AFAIK, recording the dummy to hold back as a reversal is the proper way to do this. If the dummy doesn't start walking backwards, it's probably because it's in pre-block frames. You can also record the dummy holding up-back.

Oh hey, why hasn't that been mentioned before? Yeah lemme put up some test images for you tomorrow or something.
I'm not colorblind, so I've no reference for what would be easier. However, I do know that one of the "brown-n-bloom" shooters these past years introduced a colorblind mode that made stuff easier to differentiate. I think it was one of the battlefields. It's absolutely garish, but (I'm guessing) necessary for colorblind players. That may be a good source of information. Also, different patterns may work: vertical/horizontal stripes, "frosted", stars, et cetera.

Colorblind-friendly hitboxes? Red/green is just about the absolute WORST combination for this. I think there's yellow in there too? Orange? Some kind of other green? I have no idea.

I can't tell what I'm looking at because it feels as if a wicker basket has been pulled over my eyeballs. All I can tell is that there are a LOT of boxes, the collision was meticulously done.

SF4 hitbox viewer has a brighter green and a darker red. SSB Melee's viewer has yellow hurtboxes. Mugen has a dark blue instead of green. If I had a better suggestion, I'd give one.

As someone else who is also Red/Green Colorblind, I don't think I've had too much issue with SG's hitboxes and stuff personally, though maybe you have it more extreme than I do. And maybe there are some cases where I don't know that I can't see something, but for the most part I feel okay.

However, on this subject, I absolutely CANNOT tell the differences on the assist ready/not ready red and green lights on the UI. And I frequently get confused on their positions since they move all the time and the two sides are reversed from each other. Could you also look into the shades of color there as well? Or a change from green to blue or something?

Reactions: Ravendeth
Yeah because I read every thread on here. Am I @'d or do I respond? Then I didn't see it.
I thought making threads in the Bug Report or Feature Request areas guaranteed it'd be looked at. I'll be sure to @ you from now on.

Training mode has a lot of options. I would like shortcuts added. I.E. press lp and it goes to dummy state. Obviously you cant map a button to each option(probably can but no), so just evenly spread out.

Don't know if this has been asked before but possibly adding a meter use meter to the advance info (based on used vs gain). Not really sure how the game calculates and stores meter gain data but seeing it as a numerical value rather then a color ring would be useful in combo optimization and strategy

Having a random option for "escape infinite combos" would be nice to have to practice burst bait strings.

Reactions: gluemchen
Having a random option for "escape infinite combos" would be nice to have to practice burst bait strings.
This

Also can character incoming (Either from snapback or dead character) be considered a "reversal" for the sake of practicing character incoming set ups?