• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Trying to play against another player in skullgirls as a beginner is a fucking nightmare.

JeremiahTisdale

Reaction score
Steam
jeremiahtisdale917
Ms. Fortune Peacock
hello everyone, you may know me as Jeremiah tisdale917 if you've played against me and unfairly decimated me.

Anyway I'm a beginner player and trying to find a fair online match against another player of a similar skill level to me is impossible, Every time I get a match it's against a much more skilled player that ends up destroying me with stunlock combos that never offer me any opportunity to defend myself, do you have any tips?

I'm never going to be able to improve if each time i have the opportunity to play against someone, its against a person I have no chances of beating at my current level.

smoot

Cannibal
Reaction score
Steam
Baby Flavored
Unknown Double
hello everyone, you may know me as Jeremiah tisdale917 if you've played against me and unfairly decimated me.

Anyway I'm a beginner player and trying to find a fair online match against another player of a similar skill level to me is impossible, Every time I get a match it's against a much more skilled player that ends up destroying me with stunlock combos that never offer me any opportunity to defend myself, do you have any tips?

I'm never going to be able to improve if each time i have the opportunity to play against someone, its against a person I have no chances of beating at my current level.
Have you tried the lobbies? Usually the more experienced players are in quickmatch. You’re more likely to find people of a similar skill level in the lobbies.

Also, about the long stun lock combos: make sure you’re not getting reset. If the combo counter is going back to 1 while you’re getting combo’d it means your opponent is dropping the combo and starting a new one to bypass the infinite combo prevention system. You can escape these by predicting which way the reset attack is coming from and blocking correctly.

I still consider myself a beginner so I don’t know how much help this will be, but... if you want to improve a lot, I’d recommend you start by learning a combo and then learning how to reset it. It doesn’t have to be a full 7k damage bnb combo; I used a beginner combo for several months before switching to learning a bnb. The Mizuumi wiki is a good resource for that, but you should be prepared to spend a lot of time in training mode before you’re ready to survive online pvp.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Chrono_Tata

When's Adam
Reaction score
Steam
Chrono_Tata
PSN
Chrono_Tata
Cerebella Painwheel Unknown
The problem with the game's Quick Match is there isn't really a skill-based matching system, so even as a beginner you are very likely to get matched with veteran and even top players who frequent Quick Match. (Well, the reality of how it actually works is a bit more complicated but we don't need to get into that.)

In order to find more beginner friendly matches, apart from looking for beginner lobbies as suggested above, I would recommend joining the official Discord server or one of the region- or console-specific matchmaking servers depending on your case. You can ask for matches there specifying that you are a beginner, and you are more likely to be able to get matches that are more suitable for your skill level.

Looking for some sparring partners around your level can also help either through here or Discord.