• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Trying to play against another player in skullgirls as a beginner is a fucking nightmare.

JeremiahTisdale

Reaction score
Steam
jeremiahtisdale917
Ms. Fortune Peacock
hello everyone, you may know me as Jeremiah tisdale917 if you've played against me and unfairly decimated me.

Anyway I'm a beginner player and trying to find a fair online match against another player of a similar skill level to me is impossible, Every time I get a match it's against a much more skilled player that ends up destroying me with stunlock combos that never offer me any opportunity to defend myself, do you have any tips?

I'm never going to be able to improve if each time i have the opportunity to play against someone, its against a person I have no chances of beating at my current level.

hello everyone, you may know me as Jeremiah tisdale917 if you've played against me and unfairly decimated me.

Anyway I'm a beginner player and trying to find a fair online match against another player of a similar skill level to me is impossible, Every time I get a match it's against a much more skilled player that ends up destroying me with stunlock combos that never offer me any opportunity to defend myself, do you have any tips?

I'm never going to be able to improve if each time i have the opportunity to play against someone, its against a person I have no chances of beating at my current level.
Have you tried the lobbies? Usually the more experienced players are in quickmatch. You’re more likely to find people of a similar skill level in the lobbies.

Also, about the long stun lock combos: make sure you’re not getting reset. If the combo counter is going back to 1 while you’re getting combo’d it means your opponent is dropping the combo and starting a new one to bypass the infinite combo prevention system. You can escape these by predicting which way the reset attack is coming from and blocking correctly.

I still consider myself a beginner so I don’t know how much help this will be, but... if you want to improve a lot, I’d recommend you start by learning a combo and then learning how to reset it. It doesn’t have to be a full 7k damage bnb combo; I used a beginner combo for several months before switching to learning a bnb. The Mizuumi wiki is a good resource for that, but you should be prepared to spend a lot of time in training mode before you’re ready to survive online pvp.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: bibbleskit
The problem with the game's Quick Match is there isn't really a skill-based matching system, so even as a beginner you are very likely to get matched with veteran and even top players who frequent Quick Match. (Well, the reality of how it actually works is a bit more complicated but we don't need to get into that.)

In order to find more beginner friendly matches, apart from looking for beginner lobbies as suggested above, I would recommend joining the official Discord server or one of the region- or console-specific matchmaking servers depending on your case. You can ask for matches there specifying that you are a beginner, and you are more likely to be able to get matches that are more suitable for your skill level.

Looking for some sparring partners around your level can also help either through here or Discord.

despite playing SG for about 6 years now off and on, i still very much suck at the game, if you play on steam feel free to hit me up for practice, i even know a few beginner friendly(ish) tounaments you could try out. https://steamcommunity.com/id/Decafkitkat247

Reactions: Nuuance
so ive been away for about 6-8 years. recently started playing again. outside of Ms.Fortune, im a complete noob with annie. just starting to pick her up. if you're ever on steam feel free to hit me up. my steam id is in sig/ profile or something

p.s. im horrible with the rest of the cast too.

There is no advice I can give you that sugarcoats it; Play more.

It sounds SO bad! But it's simply the truth! Play the game more. but not just that, CONSCIOUSLY play it more; Consider what is not working out for you and what causes you to get put in the blender.
Another unfortunate fact is that you will absolutely not learn or understand the game when you're up versus someone who is not a super-beginner. There is no moment for you to figure out neutral, confirms, combos and defense if you're up versus someone who has like 3k hours on this game and knows every double 50/50 in the book (lol)
This mostly has to do with the idea that a fighting game is an interactive game where you have to make very quick choices and think beforehand which are things you can mostly do out of experience, game knowledge and labbing.

Skullgirls is also, sadly, a game that is mostly played through networking on discord. It has been a general idea that QM is just hell for beginners.
Once you reach a skill level you are comfortable with you may try to hunt others down in QM and have a fun time. But for a beginner, it's not a good place to start and could put you off from the game.
And to correct you, you will also not improve playing a fighting game if you're only beating people. It's good to have competition. It forces you to get better and clean up your act. There is def a "big fish small pond" mindset in this game if you refuse to leave your comfortable bubble that holds players of which you know you can beat most of the time. That's why sparring partners are great!

If you generally want to improve playing skullgirls as a baby-beginner here are some tips I can give you:
-Join a big enough community with enough beginners to spar with.
-Find sparring buddies of your level and slightly higher.
> Target a player you REALLY want to beat in a ft5, this should be a player who "plays better than you". Consider them a stepping stone into getting gud

-Losses are also a way to improving. Just be conscious about it and always aim to do better next time
-Learn a BnB, grind it against a beginner friend of your level (to learn how to confirm and do neutral!!1 so important)
-Join beginner tournaments
-Understand how blocking works and other defense mechanics!!!!
-dont make it too easy for yourself
-Have fun

Thats really it. Enjoy!