• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Umbrella's cool and awesome post release suggestions thread

MachiTheFool

Reaction score
Steam
MachiTheFool
Squigly Unknown
Heya!

Lets cut to the chase: You like Umbrella, but you have some ideas that you believe will make her better in the long run. This thread is for you to pitch any ideas you have for gameplay or balance tweaks for the future!

Starting off with an idea from the Skullgirls discord, I'm proposing that Umbrella be given the ability to eat/absorb projectiles during certain moves, allowing her to more easily deal with characters like Peacock and Robo-Fortune.

Currently, Umbrella is a character of very high highs and low lows. She excels in advantage, but is impossibly easy to wall out with dedicated zoners like Pea and Robo. It's virtually impossible for her to get in against them, and even assists only slightly lessen the burden. This is especially true with Robo, whose beams can't be reflected by Retina and s.HP. Though Tongue Twister is capable of destroying grounded projectiles, It doesn't provide enough proof against lobbed projectiles or Beams, which gives Umbrella little to no options against competent Robo zoning, especially since her already niche reflection does nothing against Beams . Adding an additional ability to deal with projectiles, at the cost of relying on Hunger management, would make Umbrella's dynamic against these characters much more interesting than it is currently.

As for the mechanic itself, it'd be quite simple. Umbrella and Hungern would be able to absorb projectiles and fill Hungern's hunger meter while performing certain special moves, namely Tongue Twister and Slurp & Slide. Hungern would absorb any projectiles that hit his mouth during Tongue Twister, and any he runs over during Slurp n' Slide. Each projectile "eaten" would fill Hungern by one Pip, while multi-hit projectiles like Robo's beams would fill for one pip per hit. This would give Umbrella a way to power through more offensive zoning, at the cost of her giving up her current Hunger state. Additionally, Umbrella wouldn't be able to absorb projectiles when Hungern's meter is full, making this a more situational strength that rewards proper hunger management in neutral.

All in all, giving Umbrella the ability to uniquely counter projectiles would be a great way to spice up her more one-sided matchups!

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrono_Tata
Just gonna dump a change wishlist for umby:

Minor changes:

-Revert Wish maker in some way, giving it back its old range and at least making it not go away on hit, even if that means removing it phasing through everything. It really wasn't strong enough to warrant the changes it got, and Umbrella hardly gets much use out of it in neutral anymore. The issue with wish maker was it as an assist, yet its point functionality is what took the biggest hit.

-Let Bobblin' Bubble stay at least on projectile hit. Bobble jump means nothing when you get hit mid animation and lose the bubble. Getting randomly clipped just to lose something that likely wouldn't even hit them if it stays seems so cruel.

-Give Hungern Rush back its full invuln. This reversal is also already so unnecessarily slow and minus and only its launch hitbox is useful, I do not get why it also has to lose to throw as well. Its a-train function doesn't mean much when it's hardly fast enough to catch up with them while upbacking.

-Umbrella can have 5 puddles onscreen. The increased duration did not warrant the 3 puddle limitation, and makes her setplay beyond getting to Ravenous worse.

Major/Controversial Changes:

-Increase Umbrella's dash speed. She is so, SO slow, and the bobble jump gives you an extremely telegraphed and hard to setup move that hardly comes into play. Her current counterplay is mostly made up of running away from her. I'm not even sure at this point if her slowness is supposed to be part of her identity, but it makes matchups like Pea and especially Robo nearly impossible without meter.

-jMK Buffs: Let Umbrella float the whole way, and let jMK have a command normal that lets her fall. This float is actually just a meme right now, taking you no distance, and not even pairing well with Bobble jump since you already get drift. It would also make rising floatfall an interesting combo tool when paired with puddle. Also let her convert off of jMK by letting her special cancel the fall.

Speaking of the Zoner matchup, I would like for her to have more counterplay to the dedicated zoners beyond sending out Retina. Retina already has some pretty apparent counterplay, and it would be nice if her supposed anti-zoning tools actually worked against the zoners. As a result, I would like at least one of these possible changes:
-Tongue Twister is projectile invulnerable until the end of its active frames. This should've been the way from the get-go, given that it was advertised that way and the ground-bomb destruction has only really helped when Peacock is running away and doesn't send out a 5hp, an h bomb, or an h item. Even then, long range tongue twisters often get jumped out of, so it definitely wouldn't be uncounterable, and up close it's a free punish for any other character.
-Slurp n Slide is projectile invuln. Same purpose, and similar counterplay to Eliza's jHK, given how slow Slurp can be in any mode that isn't ravenous and any time it is not puddled. I wouldn't be surprised if I got repeatedly M bang'd or hp saw'd attempting to do this, yet it would make a careless bomb or beam far more risky for the other side.
-5HP is projectile invuln. I really do love it when I try to reflect a single ground bomb only to get hit by h bomb, 5hp, and h item. H bomb especially is hilarious because it even resets its arc on reflect, yet it flies too high for the bat to hit (which is an issue a lot of projectiles have with this gimmicky tool, as well)

Disclaimer: Actually Insane, Probably Broken, Probably Don't Add Suggestions:
-Lenny can be reflected. Not the explosion, the bomb itself. Retina shouldn't just immediately get countered by Peacock just sending out her own shield, a shield which also often clips Umbrella due to her sometimes strange hurtbox extensions. Letting Umbrella change Lenny's alignment make it so Peacock actually has to play around the shield, which even then is not hard, because h teleport and sending out an assist to tank the hits work just as well.
-Beams can be reflected. I don't know if it was coding error/limitation that prevented this, but maybe just have the source of the beam send out its out fullscreen beam to try and hit robo, or send it out at a different angle to make sure it hits. When Umbrella already can hardly catch up with Robo just running away, and then doing superjump jHK l beam, it'd be nice that she also doesn't just get free damage.
-Ptooie/light bubbles attach eyes on hit (or block, even). Adjust damage for ptooie and Under The Weather in accordance to the additional eye damage. Having more lingering bubble pressure and some interesting eye setups (which are few and far between anyway) would be nice for her, but it might make matchups that she already destroys even more obnoxious.

If Umbrella were to receive any of these, especially that last one, she deserves some adjustments in other places, especially with things like cMK, which is literally capable of beating meaty throw.

_____
Overall, after playing this version of Umbrella for about a month, I'm not happy with her continued gameplan reliance on Ravenous. I wish there was a way to make Umbrella more consistent across her modes, because I see no reason to lose all the perks that Ravenous gives you:

-4 frame jab that's +6 on block and +4 on hit. Pairs well with the egregious low/throw crush 2mk
-Universal instant overhead
-Ability to convert of slurp meterless/puddleless
-High damage starter from Salt Grinder/Tongue Twister
-High damage, in general (Have you seen the 5hp Slurp Loops?)
-High damage level 3, that keeps you in this busted mode on kill
-Long range low that vacuums
-Faster 5hp reflect
-Faster everything

With these strengths, Umbrella has matchups that are nearly unwinnable for the other side, yet nonetheless has matchups that are nearly unplayable on her own. Making her consistent in some way would be nice in making her more fair, less funneled, and more creative in her gameplans.

Last edited:
Reactions: MachiTheFool
Starting off with an idea from the Skullgirls discord, I'm proposing that Umbrella be given the ability to eat/absorb projectiles during certain moves, allowing her to more easily deal with characters like Peacock and Robo-Fortune.
Giving Umbrella G&W Bucket would be hilarious, if only it didn't take so much effort to add new moves. However, it'd worsen her balance against matchups I feel she already does too well against. Like punishing double for any raw gun in such a way would just feel cheap.

On the other hand, if she just ate projectiles and increased hunger, I especially wouldn't like to be zoned AND in overstuffed.

Overall, after playing this version of Umbrella for about a month, I'm not happy with her continued gameplan reliance on Ravenous. I wish there was a way to make Umbrella more consistent across her modes, because I see no reason to lose all the perks that Ravenous gives you
I'm not really sure what you mean by 'consistent' so this might not really apply, but her entire design philosophy from the start was to have you try to stay in ravenous. From the original announcement:

Hungern is quite RAVENOUS and dangerous when he is hungry but not yet STARVING - expect to be rewarded if you can maintain this narrow window of power!

And I think her current version accomplishes that really well. 100% agree with debating changes for certain match-ups/situations where she struggles from being undertuned as a whole (can't really comment on that yet), but the idea of a gameplan based around reaching and maintaining ravenous feels like an integral part of her design and I really like that we have a character like that.

Reactions: nope.avi
And I think her current version accomplishes that really well. 100% agree with debating changes for certain match-ups/situations where she struggles from being undertuned as a whole (can't really comment on that yet), but the idea of a gameplan based around reaching and maintaining ravenous feels like an integral part of her design and I really like that we have a character like that.
I agree that her current version accomplishes making Ravenous powerful really well. Honestly, having been able to maintain Rav during a whole match has to be one of the most satisfying power trips in this game. Ravenous grants you tools that, when you manage to do this, it must feel (I wouldn't know, I haven't been on the receiving side yet) unbeatable, and I don't know if that's a fair reward even if it takes effort to manage her hunger. Unfortunately, in her current state, it's her greatest strength that gives her such promise as the meta progresses, that I really don't want any changes done to it without equal remedies to the other modes or her tools in general.

Also, I wish there was room to experiment with the other modes like Overstuffed, and give people a reason to use them beyond mere combo tools.

I have already mentioned this elsewhere but just wanna throw it in here so it doesn't get too forgotten. Back in beta season there was a time when doing her taunt gave an additional effect of making her next Tongue Twister a hitgrab rather than a command grab. Based on the patch note when it was removed, I assume it was due to it being buggy rather than for balance reasons?

For the next beta season, it would be cool to bring that back at least to experiment. And might I also suggest that, as well as the Tongue Twister effect, it could also turn her next Level 3 into a hitgrab as well? Should give her more fun options for her combos and DHC. The "hitgrab charge" could be stored similarly to Band's taunt charge.

Maybe once you have the charge, you could pick between spending the charge to get the hitgrab version or just using the command grab version by holding down the button.

Last edited:
Allow Umbrella SOME version of Slurp 'n' Slide that offers Armor against projectiles (like Eliza's c.HK/"Solar Barge"), whether it be the Puddle versions, the Overstuffed version, or the Overstuffed Puddle version.

Allow all of Umbrella's bubble projectiles to persist until she is hit directly; let her bubbles stay even if she's hit by a projectile, like Retina Reflector.

Reactions: nope.avi
I think Umbrella has turned out great. I just have a few small issues, one of which being Hungern Rush. The move feels incredibly sluggish and unsatisfying to land. I believe this can be fixed without sacrificing the vulnerable recovery after whiffing the move, which is what simply speeding it up would do.

The motion currently is extremely uniform. The same speed up, and the same speed down, and this detracts heavily from the impact of the landing, which should be much more impactful considering the damage the move does. I've hand animated some examples below, the first being representative of how the motion currently is, and the second being how I believe it can be improved.

I would suggest having the rise be slower (it would still HIT/grab on the same frame and have the same startup) and the fall be faster (same recovery as well). Dedicating more frames to rising/hangtime at the apex of the arc and less to falling in such a way that keeps the amount of frames consistent would make the move feel faster and more impactful without changing how long the move takes to complete. Animation tricks!

More visual effects would be nice, but this would not require any significant animation changes or revisions, just a simple tweak of the motion. I really hope you consider this, as I think it will really improve the impact of this move- I know I would use it more!

Attachments

• RushRevision_BallDemonstration1.gif
    RushRevision_BallDemonstration1.gif
    202.6 KB · Views: 227
Reactions: flurrywhipdraws
2nd Round Edit: After more play to solidify an image, I've adjusted thoughts on bubbles/etc, but the rest still stands even moreso. Especially on the level 3 & overstuffed.

First time since early beta commenting on umbrella post-release so bear with me for the lengthy post ^_^''; thoughts in no specific order. 1st & last post on umbrella for now. Mostly touching on 'balance' & intent, then suggestions. Hopefully sparks an idea or two. Oh & generalizations are just that. It doesnt mean every instance, but definitely most. Try to keep that in mind.

Granted, ive only played her a small bit...but played against her a ton against some respectable people (relative to her low frequency). she just seems kind of like...just there. Besides M bubblle, apart from not caring for her longer combos & waiting for my turn for resets I'm unfamiliar with, I dont feel anything against her. There's no real threat anxiety is what I'm saying. Charge moves & her more limited movement doesn't help. For such movement her moves/specials should have more oomph. I admire the ambition behind her but yeah. Tally up individual umbrella comments & some mention slide, another something else...for the most part everyone has something different to say while agreeing on common topics pointing to underwhelming play experience & low play numbers. It's far past the 'good or bad' convo & into something else altogether.

Balance & Motivation:
(from beta thread) I feel this time around we let it rock again whether it’s too powerful or not. Gives more reason to wanna use her on point anyhow!
(also from beta thread) It feels like the devs were really non-committal with Umbrella’s defensive tools because they were afraid of making her overpowered, but that ended up giving her a lot of moves that really only do half of what they feel like they should.

Granted, SF's comment was about Annie, but the tone is the same for this despite requests not wanting to be pushy about it. As for Machi, that addresses almost half the cast. And im about to go offroad here, but in terms of balance I sincerely think theres a big misunderstanding on what it's for & how 'good' is 'too good.' To want to use a character...there has to be something making you get a kick out of using them in the first place giving that dopamine. "Cheating." People *want* to feel like they're cheating whether they say it or not. And that's not a bad thing. And cheating doesnt mean unfair by default. Characters in most fighting games cheat somehow. that's why they're fun.

Primarily wanna point out Eliza s.hp/s.hk as an example. Those 2 moves for her have been discussed so much over maincord/forums and most balked at the idea of shaving a couple frames on it for basically breaking the game making her too good. They changed maybe half a year later & funnily enough nothing has changed in the game itself. Havent heard anything on it since. In neutral they're not used anymore than prior (which was virtually not at all). I said either on 'cord or here I see it going the way of Annie's s.mp getting fixed. Forget literal words I said, but something like "It'll be faster, but it'll still feel like it's middle of the road & still wont see anymore use outside of combo fodder/conversions. Not good, not bad. just there as it should've been initially." And that's exactly what happened with Annie and Eliza. There will always be one or two standout anecdotes of use maybe a couple have seen, but if we're honest about the bigger picture, it's remained the same about 90% in terms of meta, being generous. Throne as well. Umbrella has been the epitome of pretty much this.

The infinite rulebook on theorycrafting only gets so far. Science is used, but after alls said and done, FGs are an art, not a science. Nor is it a purely zero-sum affair where giving one thing means automatically taking away another. Especially if tools are clunky/largely unused in the first place.

Assorted Suggestions:
Overshoot (which isnt really overshooting) then go from there. Give her a way to eat & bat projectiles to gain meter. IShe already has defensive moves. They just need to be better. Allow 5hp in overstuffed to be projectile invuln f1. Straight up. Current timing is harder than parrying since parrys at least are usually instant -- Startup is 30 frames. thats a lot which is cool, but make it worth using. I didn't like Baiken at all until I tried the parry & felt/heard it. It's just plain satisfying & usually I dont like parrys. But hers makes me come back despite having a hard time with opponents outranging her. I mean that baseball bat sound effect & hitstop is on the money! I'd bet serious money this netting the same effect. Having armour for certain slower moves as well as 1 hit worth for 5hp/2hp should happen imo. Remember 30f & 18f startup. Robo's is 17.

Just as well, her umbrella float id like to see it work better. I've not seen it at all (personally). Using 5hk on Retina reflector to kick the eyes upward would be great as well seeing its so easy to just jump over it lol. Jumping on the bubble or bubble super...yeah idk what to do with that. Still havent see them more than once either. Allow teammates to interact/splash with the puddles too -- would make bubble assists way better & give sick combo creativity. Also I hate to say it but I think charge motions is getting in the way of predictability/how to respond to her. She just plain cant do certain things/moves unless backing up/standing still and that'd be fine if her other options worked better/had better movement, but she doesnt. 6lp & 6hp messing with charge motions makes it even easier to play against her.

6hp is so cool but you cant cancel it. once you press it, you're automatically committed and for such a movement averse character that should be a better neutral tool rather than just combos or a direct overhead anti-air. Obviously would have a bit of recovery but it makes her far more a threat along with having a much more interesting mind game in charging to max level in neutral. The more it's charged, the more advantage you should get, or at least be safe/-2. For first level with stagger, let her recover faster to capitalize on it.

Lastly, that air grab. The tongue length is something I cant get over. either scale it back or allow it to actually grab that far. Just something accurate to what we see. I'd say the same thing with Annie's ground throw. And slide...it just feels weird, idk what to really say about it. stops far too abruptly for one. Again...i dont even really know where to start, im sure someone else has something better to suggest.

Level 3 & Hunger Duration:
The fact that level 3 only gives you *one* extra pip (if it still does) you probably wont have time to use by finishing a character is largely questionable to me for such a big commitment because the conditions to land it are so incredibly narrow. Especially if you're using meter for retina reflector or other things. If her play is focused around ravenous make this worth it. Also odd how it sends the opponent across screen when she can barely run/slide back up to them. Add 2 pips & remove the finishing prereq. i've seen lvl3 used against me from 2 players, main one being nope.avi. And even so after it's done, ive seen they couldnt really capitalize on ravenous after. Match is almost over...or i mean you just ended the match with it. It doesnt make much sense at all. I wouldnt even mind it also being a hitgrab too for half as much damage & only 1 extra pip. The process of progression of your meter throught the match I'd love to see.

Tbh if you wanna get real interesting, you can let the player decide to add an overstuffed, satiated, or ravenous pip depending on button combination depending on what style you like best. More choice-based play solving duration...because it really is quite short. Especially if the opponent isnt just letting you grab them left & right or has them getting mixed. Draining half as much in general seems better...can't say how many times i've thought 'damn that sucks' for getting hit. If anything, I dont mind it pausing. If you like any particular mode, unless you're a pro who can combo/grab when you want, staying in a desired mode isnt too doable. it's easier for me to just lame them out. I understand her main way is feeding on the opponent, but i really dont see that realistically with how sensitive the timer is. A chocolate bar/ice cream special like 60f restoring one pip serving a good role here (same time it takes for a vial or squigly charge, standing still). Animation already exists so let it rock in a match.

Overstuffed:
Overall I get It's supposed to be a tradeoff but it needs more. Slower frame data in this game is bigger penalty than people realize. I think the 'performing as intended' thing is a bit bunk rn also seeing that annie was designed to be an install character and effectively install's been dead for a long time. There's always an argument for being usable for nearly anything, but do people *want* to use it? It's what I see when i see Machi's comment. Is it worth using over something else? Does it feel good? Is it worth the risk over something else? Actual original designs have changed a fair amount for half the cast. It'd be different if a bunch of people were playing her. That alone speaks volumes. I think most people were at least interested in the beginning including myself in the very least. Of course there's always taste, but people play characters they initially dont have a taste for all the time. Because they're interesting/fun.

Design might have an understandable intent & doesnt have to be terrible. Her design isn't terrible at all. She's NOT bad obviously, but pretty boring. But it might as well be bad if people generally dont see a value in it. Pointing to lack of umbrellas out here. Going off of something said in beta thread a bit ago about options...yes shes designed around ravenous, but if someone wants to stay overstuff/satiated, they should and have a good reason to. again, slower frames/low grab damage/inability to eat projectiles are enough to provide a proper drawback. But starving is supposed to be the actual punishment, not the other modes. Ravenous balanced of course by how if you dont pay attention & feed, you'll hit starving in no time. If you wanna stay far away from ravenous you can, but youll be slower.

For most part ravenous is fine, but being able to cash out 3bars to extend duration sooner would be a welcome addition.

Last Thoughts:
That was a doozy. Overall I love the fact SG has been ok with trying new things for DLC. But the main issue is it seems to always end in a half-measure these days while not being applied to rest of the cast & as I've said, the fear of going into new (once normal/expected) territory is kneecapping any sort of real satisfaction. End of the day, most cool stuff's reverted & I'd like to see that done away with. Can always adjust & modify to what works end of the day with lower damage/scaling but the movement, slow frames for overstuffed, and danger of reaching starved with ravenous is more than enough. She needs some actual upside now making more people want to use her. Last thing ill say is many designers, especially car designers focus on the looks, feel & theme first before structural (balance) things to make it 'realistic.' I think it's about time for that way of thinking & not getting lost in forum convos only to bypass majority of whats been put forth. It's not fun to argue/debate points back & forth only to leave it on paper. Everyone's voice is important who's supported SG because no single person including myself has the answer. Lets put the rubber to the road for a change to truly collaborate. What ends up being final product, who knows, but being ignored/written-off from anyone in power to enact changes no matter how non-confrontational/polite wont really help. Nor should "No" or 2-3 small inconsequential changes should rarely be the first or final answer for things this involved.

At any rate thanks for reading, have a good day/night

Last edited: