• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

UNDERTALE; A wacky throwback for EARTHBOUND/MOTHER fans!

I'm not super interested in Undertale from a gameplay standpoint, but from what I've seen...holy hell that genocide route. It's got my Soul Nomad vibes tingling. Everything goes from fucked up to gloriously fucked up...

The pacifist run is the thing that really sets it apart from a game like Soul Nomad and the World Eaters for me, which didn't have an option like that. But the way the story progresses feel very much the same. Might pick this up when I have the spare cash. I already know I don't have it in me to do Genocide, but I forced myself through it in Soul Nomad and feel shitty for it, so I can do it here as well.

I still love the genocide route a lot, Sans was mad fun to fight.

Okay I got a couple of days ago and spent my time playing it and lemme tell you it's the most fun I've had in a long time. I think my favorite of the characters is Undyne,but I also love everyone else,slight exception to Flowey but you'll see why soon. Also everyone said Omega Flowey's fight was hell,but it only took me two tries,I didn't go for a No Mercy run because I don't know about you,but I don't want some messed up ghost kid screwing up my game. The story was amazing,I cried like a little kid during some parts,the true ending was adorable and touching I just- this game is great man. And I'm happy to say Undertale is a game I've competed but will never reset.

tumblr_nwjvtxlYCz1uuis8io1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nwjvtxlYCz1uuis8io2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nwjvtxlYCz1uuis8io3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nwjvtxlYCz1uuis8io5_1280.jpg

tumblr_nwjvtxlYCz1uuis8io6_1280.jpg

tumblr_nwjvtxlYCz1uuis8io7_540.jpg

tumblr_nwjvtxlYCz1uuis8io8_540.jpg

UNDERTALE 2015-10-21 02-19-09-595.jpg

I'm sorry but all I thought of when I got that was
images.jpg

UNDERTALE 2015-10-23 00-12-46-737.jpg

Also did this flower,who tried to kill me,just tell me that everything was okay? This is why I refused to reset my game. Everyone's okay now,there's nothing else I can do.

Last edited:
BTW, I've been thinking of picking Undertale up. All I've heard for the most part is positive reviews, but right now I have a bunch of other games I'm working on. So I need to know, for one run of the game, about how long is the playtime, give or take? I mean, once my gaming schedule clears up I'll definitely sink into it, but if the game itself isn't too long I might pick it up now and begin chipping away at it.

BTW, I've been thinking of picking Undertale up. All I've heard for the most part is positive reviews, but right now I have a bunch of other games I'm working on. So I need to know, for one run of the game, about how long is the playtime, give or take? I mean, once my gaming schedule clears up I'll definitely sink into it, but if the game itself isn't too long I might pick it up now and begin chipping away at it.
My first run took me about 6 hours, and I've seen other people say something similar.

Ok, I may pick it up now then and put some hours into it :D

Reactions: Meow-Professor
Finally started up a genocide run. "Oh, this won't be too long. I'll just do the thing really quickly."

Then I got to Snowdin. Jerry appeared in every. Single. Encounter.
Screw you, Jerry.

Played the pacifist run myself and watch my boyfriend do the genocide run and I truly love this game

the fanart is top notch as well

I discovered temmie Village and tem shop the other day. temmie go to college now!!!
I never realized how much fan videos were made of Undertale.

My favorite is

So, I bought Undertale last week, after having attempted to distance myself from anything related to the game so I could get the best experience possible.
Didn't regret it one bit.
In my first blind playthrough of the game, I ended up getting a near Pacifist run after sparing everyone but forgetting to befriend Undyne.
I shed tears by the end of my True Pacifist run.
At this moment, I'm part way through my Genocide run now, just currently stuck on Undyne the Undying.
I want to hug Papyrus.

There is something interesting about Undertale.
The game is critically acclaimed, and is certainly worthy of the praise it gets, but it's good in a way that goes against basically all of the well-established ways to make a good game in today's gaming scene. It's a game that, both actively and subtly let you know to not share it, not recognize it, not show it to anyone. In a time where Let's Plays and video reviews and walkthroughs are the way a large amount of people hear about and decide to buy a game, creating something that so actively denies that seems like career suicide, but despite everything, the game emerged as one of the highest rated PC games of all time, which is amazing for a 6-hour Indie game built on Gamemaker that discourages marketing.

This thread... Has filled us with DETERMINATION.

This thread... Has filled us with DETERMINATION.
Knowing that Indivisible will one day climb out of its hole and get the money to fund itself off of the table...

It fills you with DETERMINATION.

Reactions: erkicman
Yeah
That uh
That kinda just...
;A;
I WANT TO GIVE ASGORE A HUG
JUST
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Wow, uh
And I thought the normal ending was sad...
How do you get this? I assume it is when you beat the neutral ending after not sparing Flowey at the end previously?

Wow, uh
And I thought the normal ending was sad...
How do you get this? I assume it is when you beat the neutral ending after not sparing Flowey at the end previously?
Nope, just go back and fight Asgore after any normal ending. Though what Flowey says is different if you spared him.

Reactions: Meow-Professor
Nope, just go back and fight Asgore after any normal ending. Though what Flowey says is different if you spared him.
I'm surprised I hadn't heard about it, then. Thanks.

I just came across this video today and it talks about "true morality". It's very thorough and well thought out. There's a spoiler warning at the beginning of the video just in case.

I just came across this video today and it talks about "true morality". It's very thorough and well thought out. There's a spoiler warning at the beginning of the video just in case.

Damn I thought i had the pacifist ending but I just had neutral :O I never killed a soul but I never dated anyone but Papyrus :0

Damn I thought i had the pacifist ending but I just had neutral :O I never killed a soul but I never dated anyone but Papyrus :0
You got to get Undyne to hook up with Alphys later after a neutral run. If you save before Asgore and head back through the core you can do this. One of my biggest complaints about this game is backtracking, especially for the pacifist run. Good thing I can just save before Asgore and reload it since the game's saves and varibles are screwed enough to do that

You got to get Undyne to hook up with Alphys later after a neutral run. If you save before Asgore and head back through the core you can do this. One of my biggest complaints about this game is backtracking, especially for the pacifist run. Good thing I can just save before Asgore and reload it since the game's saves and varibles are screwed enough to do that

This actually really helps, thanks! I tried back tracking to Snowdin because I thought that's where Undyne was, and when she wasn't there I thought I was going to have to restart completely! Thank you so much! :)

Saw the game just about everywhere and eventually tried out the demo a couple weeks back. Didn't think long before following with getting the full version.
Already finished the neutral -> true pacifism route; currently aiming for completing genocide, though you could say I'm struggling with some bad times.

I have some general thoughts I could share on the game, however I'd be largely copypasting the Steam review I just put together. A shame there's no way to mention the neutral path boss nor the True lab without giving them away, though I reckon that's what most people have in mind when they say "don't read the spoilers".

(Also I made this, because how could I not.)

tbh I think you're missing out a lot by not doing a genocide run. The game definitely makes you feel terrible about your actions, but to me, that's just what makes the experience so powerful. It was by far the hardest I've ever been impacted by a video game before, I got (and still get) chills everytime there was any of that red text reminding you of how incredibly awful you are, everytime you got that little smile when you enter a battle or when I walked into a place just to find it completely empty while you know how cheerful and full of life it can be in a pacifist run...

at the end, sans telling you that you're doing this "because you can" and "since you can, you have to" feels so heavy and makes you feel SO bad about it...

YOU MAKE FUCKING FLOWEY CRY AND BEG FOR HIS LIFE DUDE WTF

then fucking chara shows up with that spooky ass background noise and once again tells you that you, the player, are the reason for all of this, with another little 4th wall break before destroying the world, taking your soul and TAINTING YOUR GAME FOREVER ;-;
This is the route that made me feel the strongest about this game and all the characters, the whole "you never know what you have until it's gone" thing comes in hard here, and more than just the characters it's also about your own sanity and sense of self. It's not something you can experience just by reading or hearing about it, and it can actually change you.

Toby made a masterpiece with this game and, in my opinion, with the genocide route being the strongest part of it.

Reactions: Muro and fenster
Toby made a masterpiece with this game and, in my opinion, with the genocide route being the strongest part of it.

Absolutely this, alongside the meta themes of how detached players get from the all games that they may have played that the genocide run goes into.

That still doesn't change the fact I legitimately see all the characters I was nice to in Pacifist as my Friends.
I refuse to bring harm to them or kill them.
I can't even stomach the thought, even if it's a major part of the game, I'm not doing it.
I watched it, yeah, but I'd never fucking do it myself because I am an affectionate person and they are my friends.

Perspective on things can change when you're given the power to save and reload life. Sure, you're my friend, but isn't it just tempting to check out what happens if I kill you? Perhaps a different outcome if I do it in varied ways, too. No hard feelings if I bring you back a bit later, right?

Speaking of the genocide path, I especially enjoyed how it allows us to learn about some deeper layers of known characters. We think we understand them after neutral/pacifist, but only during genocide we really get their inner clockwork.
1) Flowey. We know Asriel's backstory from our first runs, but only here we get to actually hear Flowey's version of it. And as we listen, we suddenly catch ourselves thinking his actions are actually understandable and relatable - after all, from our first minutes in Undertale to where we are right now, we're going down the exact same path for similar reasons. Definitely an interesting realisation to get.

2) Sans. We know he's a lazy, but we initially just take that as part of his charm. In genocide though we learn he's aware of the resets, and gradually lost motivation to achieve anything - what's the point when all of it will always be taken away?

That's said directly, but between the lines it also explains another side of Sans' personality - the tendency for constant pranks. A joke is a quick thing, you make it, you laugh, forget and think of another one, all within minutes. Since Sans knows no long-term plans have any meaning, such simple instant gratification pleasures are the only thing he can hang on to without worrying it will all be taken away when it's least expected. He'd smiling through depression, and we're the cause. Always were, even if we only stick to positive playthroughs.

Perspective on things can change when you're given the power to save and reload life. Sure, you're my friend, but isn't it just tempting to check out what happens if I kill you? Perhaps a different outcome if I do it in varied ways, too. No hard feelings if I bring you back a bit later, right?
This is literally what turned Flowey into a fucking monster.

tbh I think you're missing out a lot by not doing a genocide run. The game definitely makes you feel terrible about your actions, but to me, that's just what makes the experience so powerful. It was by far the hardest I've ever been impacted by a video game before, I got (and still get) chills everytime there was any of that red text reminding you of how incredibly awful you are, everytime you got that little smile when you enter a battle or when I walked into a place just to find it completely empty while you know how cheerful and full of life it can be in a pacifist run...

at the end, sans telling you that you're doing this "because you can" and "since you can, you have to" feels so heavy and makes you feel SO bad about it...

YOU MAKE FUCKING FLOWEY CRY AND BEG FOR HIS LIFE DUDE WTF

then fucking chara shows up with that spooky ass background noise and once again tells you that you, the player, are the reason for all of this, with another little 4th wall break before destroying the world, taking your soul and TAINTING YOUR GAME FOREVER ;-;
This is the route that made me feel the strongest about this game and all the characters, the whole "you never know what you have until it's gone" thing comes in hard here, and more than just the characters it's also about your own sanity and sense of self. It's not something you can experience just by reading or hearing about it, and it can actually change you.

This is exactly WHY I didn't do a genocide run though. I don't WANT to feel terrible about my actions. I don't want Sans to be right that just because "can" I "have to."

I do agree that Genocide makes you feel the strongest about the game though.

This is literally what turned Flowey into a fucking monster.
That's part of why this game is beautiful and Flowey is probably the best fictional character in existence. It's way too meta / real.

I kinda just gave up on Genocide now, half because of the whole moral of it, and also since
Sans was slowly turning me into a bit of a Waluigi.

I thought about doing Genocide before but after hearing about what it does to the endings, I couldn't go through with it. Besides, I really enjoy the characters, especially Flowey.

A shame there is a wiki/streams/Youtube. Even people who don't want to go genocide themselves are curious what it entails, after all. But what if doing it yourself was the only way to find out?
Maybe not today, maybe not next month, but with time, after replaying neutral/pacifism so many times that they memorise the whole game, I reckon many would budge.
I'd love to see spirits eventually break and make a tiiiny exception. Just once, just to satisfy their curiosity.

Shame #2 that there are no Steam achievements. Even if there were just three called best/neutral/worst ending, it would provide additional temptation for completionists to catch'em all.
Achievements progress: 2 of 3. So close to 100%, that one empty spot staring at you, whispering to you.
It's just a game, it's not like you're hurting anybody, after all.
You can just check and later reset like it never happened.

You know you want to.