• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Video Game Horror

Denizen

Retired Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO THE VIDEO GAME HORROR THREAD.
I'm not a hardcore fan of Horror Games, but I always enjoy playing them, especially with friends and family.
So I've decided to start a thread for Horror Game discussion, since SkullHeart was lacking one.
First topic, what is your favorite Horror Game franchise and why?
Come on everybody, let's get Spooky!

Reactions: KaboomKid
That gif is adorable

Also a video I posted a while back

You'd be surprised how much hate mail you can get for an innocent troll video.

1. Don't get the point of the game
2. Be scarier if Tomba was after the pigs.

You'd be surprised how much hate mail you can get for an innocent troll video.
That makes no sense to me.
I'd say you are The Evil Within.
BS9nV.gif

I don't get scared easily, I'm jaded like fuck.

Though Shadow of Vincent in Catherine?
Let me tell you.
I was playing that shit at 2 AM in the morning, when I was all alone.
And it was spooky as fuck.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
1. Don't get the point of the game
2. Be scarier if Tomba was after the pigs.

It's basically just "team tries to take down a super powered single player". You can only kill him by the weakpoint on his back.

And yeah, Tomba would be pretty terrifying.

Sweet Home
Sweet Home for the NES was released in 1989, along with the movie it was based on. The story is about five people (Kazuo the director, Emi (his daughter), Akiko the nurse, Asuka the art restorer, and Taro the photographer) going into the Mamiya mansion in order to discover lost frescoes in there. However, they incurred the wrath of the ghost of Lady Mamiya (Ichiro Mamiya's wife), who then entrapped them in her mansion. Now monsters and evil spirits roam around the five people must fight their way out to survive. This game helped inspired the Resident Evil series.

This is an RPG Surivival Horror where you will control one of the five people you select and you have the option to team up with the other members or split up depending on what situation demands it. In battles, the player always go first and they have the option to call other allies into battle so they can gain experience to level up. Various hazards are littered in different rooms and parts of the mansion so be on your toes. If anybody in your party dies, they remain dead throughout the game.
Usually, I do not play horror games, but I decided to try this one out and I enjoyed it.

Reactions: Caleb and Jutsei
Sweet Home
This game helped inspired the Resident Evil series.
I'm guessing that game is what inspired the setting for Resident Evil huh?

I don't get scared easily, I'm jaded like fuck.

Though Shadow of Vincent in Catherine?
Let me tell you.
I was playing that shit at 2 AM in the morning, when I was all alone.
And it was spooky as fuck.

Getting eaten in story mode always scares me. Regardless of who the character is. 10/10notplaying

I'm guessing that game is what inspired the setting for Resident Evil huh?

Yes. The first Resident Evil was originally intended to be a remake of Sweet Home. Many elements (i.e. the mansion setting, item inventory, and the opening door animation) were transitioned from it to Resident Evil. The mansion was even referred to as a "house of residing evil."

I have no idea who Steve is. But no way, man. It's like Nightmare on Elm Street all over again.

Shadow of Vincent
Got nothing on The Child. Quite literally the stuff of nightmares.

DAAAAADDDDDDDDDYYYYY!!!!!!! (fun fact: voiced by Laura Bailey, Catherine's VA)

My favorite horror games are the already mentioned Catherine and the spiritual sequel of Clock Tower, Haunting Ground. Definitely a underrated gem.
x2AAQ6Y.png
Speaking of Clock Tower, while I haven't played it, shout outs to the original Clock Tower. A game very much ahead of it's time.

AND DAT SCISSORMAN THEME

Reactions: Jutsei
I don't think it really counts as horror.
But I really love Portal's unsettling atmosphere once you learn everything.
Especially when you go in the inner workings of the place and find Rattman Dens.

Yup, the original Clock Tower duology is stuff of nightmares, strongly recommend it

The recent ROM Kickstarter got me curious about the game Snatcher. After looking it up, I quickly realized I'd have nowhere near enough free time to play it, so I decided to watch some playthroughs. It wasn't really a horror game, but it definitely had some creepy scenarios and imagery, and I felt pretty engaged just by watching. I'm impressed that Sega brought it overseas with most of the pixelated gore intact:
deadcheif.gif
tumblr_lnd2coVnbh1qfzldro1_500.gif

tumblr_m30hznhHMy1qfa1jdo1_500.gif

The story takes place around Christmas btw. Happy holidays!

Watching Snatcher gave me flashbacks of a game I did play as a kid though, which was one of those old Elvira adventure games. It's kinda funny to look back on now, but I remember those games totally freaked me out when I was little. I also think with these old games, the use of music & sound actually made things creepier than the pictures did by themselves. It's one of those qualities that later games like Resident Evil adopted really well.

You guys want something scary?
There's an old game called Waxworks.
Basically your brothers possessed by evil, and this is some ancient curse.
So you have to go back in time to go back in way time to ensure that it never comes to be.
And there's A TON of ways to die.
Wanna see?

You guys want something scary?
Basically your brothers possessed by evil, and this is some ancient curse.
So you have to go back in time to go back in way time to ensure that it never comes to be.
And there's A TON of ways to die.
Wanna see?
The recent ROM Kickstarter got me curious about the game Snatcher. After looking it up, I quickly realized I'd have nowhere near enough free time to play it, so I decided to watch some playthroughs. It wasn't really a horror game, but it definitely had some creepy scenarios and imagery, and I felt pretty engaged just by watching. I'm impressed that Sega brought it overseas with most of the pixelated gore intact:
deadcheif.gif
tumblr_lnd2coVnbh1qfzldro1_500.gif

tumblr_m30hznhHMy1qfa1jdo1_500.gif

The story takes place around Christmas btw. Happy holidays!

Watching Snatcher gave me flashbacks of a game I did play as a kid though, which was one of those old Elvira adventure games. It's kinda funny to look back on now, but I remember those games totally freaked me out when I was little. I also think with these old games, the use of music & sound actually made things creepier than the pictures did by themselves. It's one of those qualities that later games like Resident Evil adopted really well.
I wanna watch it... but I won't... I gotta sleep. HNGGGG

Reactions: KaboomKid
Y'know, I think the same company that made Waxworks also did the Elvira games. The presentation's very similar, and I remember a bunch of crazy deaths in the Elvira stuff too. lol Those guys were definitely enjoying themselves back then!

Y'know, I think the same company that made Waxworks also did the Elvira games. The presentation's very similar, and I remember a bunch of crazy deaths in the Elvira stuff too. lol Those guys were definitely enjoying themselves back then!
I originally saw this around the time of Dead Space 1's release.
And I thought the deaths there were Brutal.
Then I found that Gem.
Holy fucking shit.

The death jingle in London is catchy as fuck though.

Two words....

Fatal. Frame.

The greatest underrated horror series of all time...

So I recently discovered a old PS2 horror game published and developed by Capcom. It was only released in Japan and Europe, but it's worth mentioning. Gregory Horror Show.

Based on a 1999 Horror CGI cartoon series created by Naomi Iwata, you take the role of either a boy or girl and get trapped within a mysterious mansion in another dimension. The only way to escape, is to collect many lost souls and bring them to death in your dreams.

While not a horrifying game, it's an interesting overlooked game. What's funny is that it feels like a kids version of resident evil (It even has Yellow and Green Herbs, which is reminiscent of Resident Evil). Also it might just be me, but the female character you can play as looks very similar to Claire Redfield.

You can also find episodes of the series on YouTube, which the whole series spans across 78 episodes, including a spin off series starring one of the characters from the series.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evilweevle
Clearly, this was the most scary thing in any game ever.
1498140-sa_x02_super.png

Maybe not, but it scared me when I played it.
A week ago for the first time.

1498140-sa_x02_super.png

Maybe not, but it scared me when I played it.
A week ago for the first time.

Interestingly, I just started replaying that yesterday. I found the cartridge in my junk drawer. I personally found the empty eyed camera shot a bit more creepy than the 'implacable monster' bits.

Interestingly, I just started replaying that yesterday. I found the cartridge in my junk drawer. I personally found the empty eyed camera shot a bit more creepy than the 'implacable monster' bits.

I just find it horrifying dropping through a floor and seeing something that you know could easily kill you in a few shots.
And there's something about the fact that that's you that adds to the scariness.
And it walks all slow and menacing and stuff.

I'm not liking the path current horror games are in. Following the Amnesia fomula is a fine one but I absolutely hate the fact that those games only make you run and hide. You don't confront your fear at any point in those games and that is an essential part of horror.

No Silent Hill? For shame!

I love SH1-3, Origins and Downpour was alright. I seriously need to replay the old trilogy.

One of the creepiest moments that comes to my mind is the alleyway scene from SH1. Even with the dated graphics the scene is still creepy.

Many people would be surprised to read this, but I think that Deadly Premonition genuinely had a scary atmosphere from time to time.

Those damn giant dogs when you are outside after midnight and the sky becomes red and I also remember the scene with George's "mother." I actually reloaded a gun, breathed in, breathed out, then entered the bedroom.

1498140-sa_x02_super.png
I was such a bitch when I played that game years ago, it's the heavy footsteps that really got me. Every time I heard that steady tapping my heart skipped a beat. By the time I got to the scene where you have to escape from SA-X I was so terrified of it that I had my little brother do it.
He's 5 years younger than me.

Reactions: SHODAN
I really think I didn't appreciate Metroid Fusion for what it was back in the day.
I didn't like how it changed so much (especially that ugly as shit Fusion suit, even today it's still kinda atough pill to swallow)
But now it's kinda one of my favorites since it manages to get across sheer Horror in the Metroid setting

Metroid Fusion is my favorite resident evil game

I'm actually surprised SA-X never got referenced or even got a trophy in SSBB.

But yeah, got that feeling across pretty well.
What I thought was genius how at the same time it took away all your Super Metroid abilities, and gave them to an enemy.
Which made you at it's mercy with your own gear.
Now that's just irony

Metroid Fusion stage for 3ds smash plz
either with the Nightmare fucking shit up or with Saxophone coming in all "eyo wassup gonna fuck ya bums m8"

Metroid Fusion stage for 3ds smash plz
either with the Nightmare fucking shit up or with Saxophone coming in all "eyo wassup gonna fuck ya bums m8"
Oh my God.
That was another thing.
Nightmare is bar none the most fucked up boss in Metroid history.
Let's see
Creepy mask, tears of goo, fucked up mask, baby cries, face that melts as the fight goes on.

Then they made it 3D in Other M and it's still fucked up there