• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Vocaloid Thread

JingooJ

Reaction score
Didn't wan't to put this into the music thread since it doesn't really seem to fit.
Post Vocaloid related stuff in here.
I'll start off:
Yan He somehow didn't catch my attention until now, but I have to say she is definitely superior to Luo Tian Yi.
Her pronounciation is much clearer, and the sound of her voice is much nicer.

Vocaloid, now there's something to talk about.
I've been avoiding Vocaloid (somehow) for the past 5 years.
Basically when it started and boomed with Miku.
Why?
I don't know.
I'm trying to get into it because I got Project Diva F and I do enjoy the music, so now I'm kinda kicking myself for not trying it sooner.

I truly need somebody to explain the appeal of vocaloid to me. I'm being honest: please explain it. I just listened to that entire song, and I'm unable to see how it's anything but inferior to real singing. It feels like replacing real guitar with midi guitar. It feels wrong. What am I missing?

Last edited:
I think it's more the magic that anyone can bring a story or song they want to show to the world to life with the program, pretty much?
Could be wrong, I'm trying to understand it a bit myself

I truly need somebody to explain the appeal of vocaloid to me. I'm being honest: please explain it. I just listened to that entire song, and it I'm unable to see how it's anything but inferior to real singing. It feels like replacing real guitar with midi guitar. It feels wrong. What am I missing?

There's just a certain aspect to it that people like.

It's like 8-bit remixes, the sound is objectively inferior to actual instruments, but it has this odd quality to it that people like that makes it popular.

After playing Project Diva I really started to get into Vocaloids, and I kind of "got" it. From there it's kind of hard to explain why I like it.

Also some of the songs are just catchy.

People like it because:
-Characters are easy to recognise -> Cosplay and Fanart
-There are good Producers who only use Vocaloid
-It just sounds different
-Community

Reactions: Jutsei
Myeah, that sounds about right!
I'm pretty sure if Lab Zero loves vocaloids, they have to be good. I mean theres:
Miku for Filia, Haku Yowane for Valentine, and Megurine Luka for Parasoul.

Don't furget Fortune's Black(insert star here)Rock Shooter and Kagamine colors.

Wait, how can music be objectively inferior?

Don't furget Fortune's Black(insert star here)Rock Shooter and Kagamine colors.

Wait, how can music be objectively inferior?

Well, in the case of imitation, things can be objectively regarded as inferior based on how closely they mimic the object/sound/etc they're trying to copy. For example, an NES soundchip isn't inferior to a guitar (it's not meant to imitate or replace a guitar), but a midi guitar is inferior to an actual guitar (it attempts to fill the same role, but less authentically). That logic could be used across various comparisons successfully, I feel. Like, in the case of a low resolution picture being inferior to actually seeing something in person. The imitation is inferior.

My main point of contention is that vocaloid seems (to me, at least) to be identical to the pop music in the country the vocaloid comes from, but with fake vocals. Why not just listen to J/K/C-Pop, instead? Is it really just the anime character angle that's the draw?

Last edited:
Well, in the case of imitation, things can be objectively regarded as inferior based on how closely they mimic the object/sound/etc they're trying to copy. For example, an NES soundchip isn't inferior to a guitar (it's not meant to imitate or replace a guitar), but a midi guitar is inferior to an actual guitar (it attempts to fill the same role, but less authentically). That logic could be used across various comparisons successfully, I feel. Like, in the case of a low resolution picture being inferior to actually seeing something in person. The imitation is inferior.

My main point of contention is that vocaloid seems (to me, at least) to be identical to the pop music in the country the vocaloid comes from, but with fake vocals. Why not just listen to J/K/C-Pop, instead? Is it really just the anime character angle that's the draw?
Some people like the artificial digital voice. It sounds like its something you would hear from the future and its just a great innovation of technology to make a voice program sing in general.

Here's the thing about Vocaloid: One, original Vocaloid music isn't meant to replace human-vocalized music. It may be in the same style as mainstream human-vocalized music, but putting them on the same scale is like thinking that Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin are the same band. Two, one of the main draws of Vocaloid is its active community and accessibility - kind of like how the Skullgirls community is now.

Here's the thing about Vocaloid: One, original Vocaloid music isn't meant to replace human-vocalized music. It may be in the same style as mainstream human-vocalized music, but putting them on the same scale is like thinking that Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin are the same band. Two, one of the main draws of Vocaloid is its active community and accessibility - kind of like how the Skullgirls community is now.
Basically that.
Plus you can basically get any story across with Vocaloid.
Joyful, Happy, Nonsensical, Horror, Sad. You name it, there's a story fitting it's description or genre in Vocaloid

One of the best Vocaloids ever. I mean, he has Gackt's voice. That should be all you need... well that and eggplants.

Gakupo still remains my favorite with Haku and Luka following behind.​

Last edited:
I've played it.

Personally, I think Dreamy Theater 2nd is better, as it has a better song list, but F still has a couple good songs as well.

I got it too, haven't had a chance to play it yet.
But I am hoping that F sells enough so that we get the sequel in America later

I've got to go to an event in my city tomorrow which is giving this away with some other prizes. So, wish me luck.

Since this is Vocaloid, might as well bring it up!
Anyone got Project Diva F?
I thought this is pretty much the most accurate place to talk about those games
I have project Diva F. It has made me realize that poor fine motor skills and rhythm games do not mix whatsoever.

but I still love it and I make Haku my main singer model for all the songs.

Played the demo. Pretty interesting. Can't really afford it at the moment, though.

That article is pretty bad and most likely won't get anyone interested.
In fact the majority of vocaloid fans come from the anime fandom and already know about her from other sources.

I love how it says the Vocaloids aren't singers, but they failed to bring up the fact that each character's voice was modified from a famous singer.

Just goes to show how much 'USA Today' knows when they don't do their research.

Last edited:
Holy god Vocajazz. You cray awesome.

And now, for something to cringe at: bad Miku cosplay on ANT Farm.

Dunno. They did reference Miku!leekspin in Phineas and Ferb, though. Kinda surprised they even knew about it.

Also, obligatory UTAU/Teto mention!

Last edited:
This just in: Miku English sings better in the Dragon language than English.

Apparently, finicky like most of the Engloids, heavily accented like Luka, and one of her lowest voicebanks yet.

Of course, I can't really say anything regarding her, as I have approximately 0 vocaloid-related things at the moment, and will probably stay that way for a while due to socioeconomic disparity.

I do not understand the hate that Miku Palettes get. why is it considered trolling when I play doctor shoals with miku colors?

I do not understand the hate that Miku Palettes get. why is it considered trolling when I play doctor shoals with miku colors?
It's popular, people are gonna hate on something that's popular.
Plus there's the fact some people can't get past her robotic voice

Exept her hair, that pallet has no resemblence whatsoever. Do we have some confirmation on this?
Anyway, English Miku seems really hard to use since there are so few songs with decent pronounciation but there are some good ones too.