• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

What are you doing to sell SkullGirls to your friends?

Necro.

I just buy them the game.

I played typing of the skullgirls with 2 of my friends and ended up teaching one some basic fighting game moves when we tried to trade "jobs". I'm bad at typing and he couldn't do anything basically and is awesome at typing, so I moved to training mode and taught him how to do quarter circle and very basic combos. He was into getting a fightstick and the game after this. So even if he doesn't end up playing SG Im glad to have introduced him to fighting games lol. My other friend couldn't stop commenting on Valentines breast, other then that not much interest. My friends in general keep up with gaming news so they always are the first to message me about SG stuff so I don't really promote it. At my Uni I never really hear about it, only sf4 and marvel.

I harass the fuck out of my friends on XBL about Skullgirls' features.
It's not that hard when every time somebody complains about something in a game, I can go "Yeah, but Skullgirls has that."
Kinda like:
"Yo, a grappler with a shoryu would be awesome. Why isn't there a grappler with a shoryu."
"...Skullgirls has that though."
"No n-no-no-n-no, you're lying."
"No but it has it though"
so far 3 of my friends have converted...I mean joined the fold...I mean community.

I ended up convincing four of my buddies to buy it after getting into the game around Christmas. Then I bought four more copies and handed them out to friends who said they really wanted to play.

Last time any of them have played was over a week ago. One of the guys I gave a copy to hasn't even opened the game. Sad days.

I ended up convincing four of my buddies to buy it after getting into the game around Christmas. Then I bought four more copies and handed them out to friends who said they really wanted to play.

Last time any of them have played was over a week ago. One of the guys I gave a copy to hasn't even opened the game. Sad days.

Dude I am sorry to hear that and I understand. Maybe they will come around to it, eventually.

Dude I am sorry to hear that and I understand. Maybe they will come around to it, eventually.
I've just about gotten over it. Gonna just focus on improving so I can find some people to play with in Skullheart. Some people just can't into fighting games.

So apparently there's a student lounge at my college.
And apparently in that lounge there are actual fighting game players.
And they know about SG and are willing to play it...

So apparently there's a student lounge at my college.
And apparently in that lounge there are actual fighting game players.
And they know about SG and are willing to play it...
Make it happen.

Tell them its kinda like Marvel 2.

All my friends have an XBox... and they're all waiting for the XBL patch. But I won them over with brutality kindness.

Step 1: Ask your friend to play Skullgirls.
Step 2: If they refuse to play then call 'em a bitch.
Step 3: Friend must now play Skullgirls or else they're a bitch.
Step 4: New member of the Skullgirls Community gained.

Step 1: Ask your friend to play Skullgirls.
Step 2: If they refuse to play then call 'em a bitch.
Step 3: Friend must now play Skullgirls or else they're a bitch.
Step 4: New member of the Skullgirls Community gained.
I did all of that, but step 4 failed.

I did all of that, but step 4 failed.
Hmm, it may be that it doesn't work on people who are actually bitches...

Tell them it's nothing like Marvel 3. Granted, they can't understand why Marvel 3 is bad, so yeah.
Indeed, i still try to play Marvel 3, but its a mess.

No, they're just casuals.

I work at a movie theater, and for a while I was in talks with my boss about an idea: a day out of the week where I bring in my PS3 and I hook it up to one of the projectors and we open up early and charge folks to come in and play games before any of the shows. We tested it out, it went beautifully (The tech stuff did that is). I was put in charge of running it. We did it for a few weeks, and me, being a fighting game guy (and owning mostly fighting games on that system) hosted mostly fighting games during the events, like THird Strike, MVC2, and of course, Skullgirls. I know at least ONE of my friends who played it liked what he saw and wanted to buy it.

I work at a movie theater, and for a while I was in talks with my boss about an idea: a day out of the week where I bring in my PS3 and I hook it up to one of the projectors and we open up early and charge folks to come in and play games before any of the shows. We tested it out, it went beautifully (The tech stuff did that is). I was put in charge of running it. We did it for a few weeks, and me, being a fighting game guy (and owning mostly fighting games on that system) hosted mostly fighting games during the events, like THird Strike, MVC2, and of course, Skullgirls. I know at least ONE of my friends who played it liked what he saw and wanted to buy it.

"We did it for a few weeks" -> Did you stop doing this for some reason? It sounds like a really cool idea.

"We did it for a few weeks" -> Did you stop doing this for some reason? It sounds like a really cool idea.
Yes it WAS a cool idea. Playing Skullgirls, or hell, video games at all on an actual, huge silver screen was the coolest thing ever.
Yes we stopped... well, I stopped wanting to host it. There were a myriad of reasons...
One, my original idea was to have weekly competitions for not just fighting games, but all different kinds of games, whether it be Fighters, or racers, or party games, or FPS's, etc. My boss knows absolutely NOTHING about video games and gamer culture, so he didn't even begin to understand how much the gamers around town would love this idea. Not only that, we would have a good reason for charging them. Anyone can play games at home, we'd be charging them for a chance to win a prize.
Two, I live in a tiny town. Like, a population of 5,000 tiny. I'm not entirely sure, but I feel like that was a factor.
Three, I kept telling my friends over and over, and they kept saying it sounded really cool, but no one showed from week to week. The only people who showed regularly was this annoying mom and her three kids and her handicapped daughter. The kids were no older than 8, at that age where they just have no idea how to play any kind of game no matter how simple, they never listen and they don't understand no matter how many times you explain things to them, meanwhile their Mom is nagging me to explain things better. I do NOT have that kind of patience, I'm not a babysitter.
Four, the ad my boss used to advertise it. He has this affinity for horrible, just horrible clip art he likes to use for the local ads he runs before the trailers (we're locally owned) and whenever you mention it he gets very defensive. The way he assembled it, it looked like we were advertising a day care service.

Lol sorry to reply with an essay, but my god it was so frustrating. I was so excited and it just crashed and burned.

Unfortunate, but kinda understandable. If you decide to run a one-off tournament or something in the future, be sure to hit me up to help get the word out.

Unfortunate, but kinda understandable. If you decide to run a one-off tournament or something in the future, be sure to hit me up to help get the word out.
Will do, thanks.

i am going to run a trial of a fantastic and innovative way of getting people to play skullgirls this weekend at my locals since we are having a big tourney.

wish me luck!

i am going to run a trial of a fantastic and innovative way of getting people to play skullgirls this weekend at my locals since we are having a big tourney.

wish me luck!

Pass out cookies.

Pass out cookies.

nearly. replace cookies with beer and you are right! but only if you are playing skullgirls!

Reactions: Skullmageddon
nearly. replace cookies with beer and you are right! but only if you are playing skullgirls!

Yeah, I would do a "SG only" type system. At the very least, ppl will try it just to get some beer and may like it.

i know right! its a perfect system. what could possibly go wrong lol.

I bopped them in the nose and said it could've been prevented if you bought the game. not really

I pulled a DDB and keep saying something until action was taken

Reactions: DDB
See? The DDB Method™ takes some effort, but it very effective. You can't argue with results like these!

Reactions: lolster2nite
I got one friend of mine to get it. Mostly due to some of the pics of Valentine I have made during when Skullgirls was freshly out. lol

I got all my FG friends to donate to the indiegogo, only a few of them actually downloaded the game after all that but I am also bringing a Skullgirls setup to my local biweekly. Also bringing anime games too til Europe PSN gets the update. A lot of them have said they'll play when Big Band comes out properly, cause they like his playstyle or one of them because he's a jazz fan lol. So far I've only got one friend to play it regularly though.