• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

What are you doing to sell SkullGirls to your friends?

SDE is good enough to get new players into SG. If you have a player who only wants newest version before starting, he is also the type of player who will move on once the next shiny thing passes by. Just because it's possible to TOD in SDE doesn't mean that every person you play at your locals is going to be doing it.

I bring the game to weekly casuals and got 2 more people to play the game. At the other weekly casuals I go to, I bring the game to play in a lobby, but these guys are serious Marvel players (they have played on the EVO main stage) who refuse to touch the game. To them, combos are too long and they don't even kill.

I bring the game to weekly casuals and got 2 more people to play the game. At the other weekly casuals I go to, I bring the game to play in a lobby, but these guys are serious Marvel players (they have played on the EVO main stage) who refuse to touch the game. To them, combos are too long and they don't even kill.

"Serious Marvel players" complaining about combos? Really, I would expect these guys to be in the group of players who have no privilege to talk shit about any game's combo mechanics when MvC3's are so ridiculous.

"Serious Marvel players" complaining about combos? Really, I would expect these guys to be in the group of players who have no privilege to talk shit about any game's combo mechanics when MvC3's are so ridiculous.

They don't mind long combos if they do enough damage to kill one character on a 3 person team. That's the tempo they're used to. If long combos, like those in SDE don't, or need to be a 200 hit Severin affair to even kill a character, it just gums up the flow of a game to them.

In so far as I know, it looks like Squiggly Edition took strides to fix this.

tried to but my friend are only interested in handheld strategy and side scrollers games

My friends demand a certain level of "apparent badassitude" from fighting games that makes this game a hard sell, since at first glance it's pretty much just looks fanservicy. A good friend of mine said he'd really like Parasoul if it weren't for the short skirt and pantyshots every 10 frames.

I mean I'd love to be able to argue "aw naw its not that fanservicy" but yes it is.

There is one friend I could maybe get into it, but I kinda want to wait for "Big Band Edition" or whatever we're calling it, since its looking like combos will be saner by then.

Yeah wait for Big Band...he definitely isn't about fanservice. I think Beowulf will also bring in people.

I usually drag my computer over to lan parties, thus it was only a matter of time before I hooked it up to a big screen tv. I mainly get people interested in it that way, plug in two controllers, start up the game and just let people have fun. So far I have converted about 7 of my buddies to play it, however thanks to school being in full swing its kinda hard to find time to play with everyone. I am still excited for when big band hits, this will certainly draw in the crowd. Other than that, I tell them about the game, some of the finer points that it offers, but I also have to mention the bad, (combo's, loops, tag in moves) just to let them know what is in store for them. I hope that I will at least get 5 more people to buy this awesome game.

Yeah wait for Big Band...he definitely isn't about fanservice. I think Beowulf will also bring in people.

Oh yeah that too. A couple beefy man dude men will, strangely, bring all the boys to the yard.

It's weird, but I feel like I can actually directly point to both Filia and Parasoul as to why this game turns off people who are bothered by fanservice. Sure you got Valentine, Bella, and I guess Fortune, but Valentine is BLATANTLY supposed to be sex on two legs, so it's like in her case she couldn't NOT be fanservicy. Bella is a flashy performer person so in her case it's like, sure whatever. She's supposed to show off. Fortune is like... all acrobatic and sporty in an Elena sort of way, so her look actually feels fairly sensible. Plus she comes apart so clothing would get in the way anyway. Eliza, I feel, will be in the same league as Valentine and/or Bella as far as justifications go.

But Filia and Parasoul, it's like... what's their excuse? They rock these short skirts but I don't feel like they OWN it personality-wise. It especially doesn't help that Filia is one of the two poster girls. If Filia wasn't slam-you-in-the-face schoolgirl fetish bait maybe people would consider looking more at the other characters after a first glance. And then if Parasoul also maybe wore a longer skirt or some pants or SOMEthing (I'd kill for her original eyepatch-nazi design), the rest of the cast wouldn't look like it was overwhelmed by fanservice when they did so, even if there were still some "offending" characters.

Looking at the full possible roster during voting, I feel like there's actually plenty of characters that fall far enough out of the "blatant fanservice" category that, had the initial cast been just a little different, the game would have caught a lot less flack on this issue. Which is good in a way, since it means this "issue" could get smoothed out as the game ages, but it would have been nice to have avoided it in the first place.

Because damn, regardless of how you personally feel about it, it makes it a bit of a hard sell at times.

It's sad really every time I see filia or parasoul I'm not really getting the fan service vibes I'm really into them as characters but that's just me...

Anyways while I was at A.I. Sunnyvale during the IGG I got about 72 students into the series and following it now and about 54 of them contributed during the whole IGG so I hope on some level that helped.

... if Parasoul also maybe wore a longer skirt or some pants or SOMEthing (I'd kill for her original eyepatch-nazi design)...

I've said this countless times. There's absolutely zero justification for Parasoul's current design. Her previous look, with full uniform and boots? That was bad-ass. This constant panty-shot nonsense is ridiculous, and it makes it really fucking hard to convince other people to take the game seriously.

It's not hard to take something serious if your willing to accept that girls have figures girls might have appeal big fricken deal who gives a damn its gonna happen, but if people are gonna linger on something stupid like fan service and outfits welp that's there fault for not getting over it.

Truth be told I don't give a damn if a girl in games or anime look fanservicy if they help the story g forward then I welcome them and there choice in outfits wit open arms...but I'm sure I'll get some rebuttal on how they look 100% matters cuse society bases so much on looks instead of content and progression in development...

It's not hard to take something serious if your willing to accept that girls have figures girls might have appeal big fricken deal who gives a damn its gonna happen, but if people are gonna linger on something stupid like fan service and outfits welp that's there fault for not getting over it.

Truth be told I don't give a damn if a girl in games or anime look fanservicy if they help the story g forward then I welcome them and there choice in outfits wit open arms...but I'm sure I'll get some rebuttal on how they look 100% matters cuse society bases so much on looks instead of content and progression in development...

That's a nice sentiment and all, but in this thread we're essentially talking about marketing. And when you're marking, what other people - even people you disagree with! - think and feel suddenly becomes very important.

And even stepping back from the fanservice aspect, something people tend to look for in fighting games in general is coolness and badassery. There are plenty of ways for a character to falls short of feeling properly cool and badass. It just so happens that an inordinate amount* of fanservicyness to their design is something that detracts from that for a seemingly considerable amount of people.

* an "inordinate amount" here refers to "sexualized outfit that is out-of-line with the character's supposed personality." Going back to my previous post, you'll see that I feel that for characters like Val, Bella, Eliza, and even Fortune in a way, they don't feel "inordinate" because it matches their personalities. Like, if somebody told me they felt Valentine was badass and that her outfit was a part of them feeling that way, I'd totally understand, because she's a femme fatale and there's totally a place for that. Parasoul though? She has a cool personality but it's not really enhanced by her outfit, so it feels... off. I could be wrong, but I feel like that affects some people negatively whether they specifically realize it or not.

Let me put it this way: I'm not asking for NO fanservice, or a complete censure of the female form. I'm just asking for smarter fanservice.

I just feel if people linger on one aspect negatively that will reduce how well this game can be sold is all I do see your point though.

If that's the case however then we should be lucky many of us have been able to get people to be more interested in it then no?

Agreed about Parasoul, i think her skirt is too short. Not that its offensive or too provocative or anything I just think she would look better with her legs covered. Thats why I always pick the green color, or blue one, or the Kula color.

Agreed about Parasoul, i think her skirt is too short. Not that its offensive or too provocative or anything I just think she would look better with her legs covered. Thats why I always pick the green color, or blue one, or the Kula color.
There's a frame in her back tech animation that was removed because it showed too much ass. I'd point to my avatar, but I changed it a while back. Let me see if I can find it.

7avHFj9.png

Yep.

Everyone I've talked to has been excited for Big Band, so I hope his release brings a little more attention to the game. I think the IGG opened a lot of people's eyes to the potential of the series, but obviously it's still a long road to seeing it all come together. Most of my friends are not big fighting game players, so they tend to just stick with ones that have a large cast of characters. They all had a few favorite characters during the IGG Voting though, so they at least want to see this game grow some more.

Regarding fanservice, I agree concerning Parasoul's outfit. I mean, I like the current design for its simplicity and iconic nature, but it would be so cool to see her fight in her military garb too. Hopefully Labzero considers alt outfits for at least her and Carol in the (distant) future.

I used to be annoyed by Filia's outfit, but it wasn't quite as bad once I realized 1) All of the schoolgirls wear the same length skirt, so it's at least a consistent detail, and 2) Her uniform fit her a little better before she joined with Samson. Filia at least has an excuse for her belly poking out, while we can assume Sakura Kasugano is just an idiot that doesn't check her tags.

Reactions: PKStoopKid
I haven't done much yet, but my friends know I am obsessed with the game, they have Steam, and it can run perfectly on my garbage laptop. I just remind them this is all I am playing at the moment until I can get my 3DS back from my parents. Then it will be this, Pokemon XY, SMTIV, and Senran Kagura. SG will get the lion's share with 1-2 hours at least daily, pokemon may get played every other day since that is my all time favorite franchise, the other two will be sort of in and out.

I haven't because I never try to "convince" people to like something (idk, I think it's stupid?). Even though I would love it if people I already know liked it too :V

And then if Parasoul also maybe wore a longer skirt or some pants or SOMEthing

I don't really care/mind how the outfits are now, but I would prefer it if it was like that.

7avHFj9.png

...Good lord.

Skullgirls has a 33% discount and is free to play this weekend! Show this to your friends who haven't decided on the game yet! This should be front page news!
I don't know if this includes the Big Band Beta, but I just got this advertisement when starting up steam.

Sounds neat.

Guys, check this out - http://store.steampowered.com/app/245170/

Skullgirls has a 33% discount and is free to play this weekend! Show this to your friends who haven't decided on the game yet! This should be front page news!

...Well, it's worth a shot. If that doesn't get at least one person to notice I'll probably be sad :V

I wonder why they picked 1pm. Seems kinda early don't you think? The only times I've been up before 1pm on a Sunday with nowhere to be, was back when the Megaman cartoon came on. Otherwise, I'm probably still awake from the night before.

Well, hopefully some people check it out. Maybe they should get Rich to do a commercial, saying something like: "This weekend, forget the girls at the club. Spend your Saturday night with the Skullgirls!"

Last edited:
Me: "But how can you say no to a man who is a giant cyborg made of jazz instruments?" ::this pic::

Friend: "oh wow"

WELL I think I got my sister interested in it since we spent over an hour looking at and laughing over the art gallery stuff tonight.

I also noticed at least one person I have added on Steam playing it but whether they actually like it is a different story. :V

Well.. First I have to convinve them to have a better pc!!!
It's frustrating being the only one who has a competent gaming pc...

Well.. First I have to convinve them to have a better pc!!!
It's frustrating being the only one who has a competent gaming pc...
You don't need a gaming PC for skullgirls

If someone has never played it before, I just tell them the history of Mike Z, the game, the playtesting, the game design, the community, etc. That's usually enough to get most people interested.

I don't really bother with people who are already very into fighting games and don't like it. I can respect their subjective tastes so long as they can respect that the game is well designed (even if it's not their style).

You can't really force people to play. That said, I've gotten some VFers into the game by calling it a mix of VF and Marvel.

You don't need a gaming PC for skullgirls

I know .. but I've seen bad performance of SG on their laptops , by competent I ment for indie titles heh.. my PC is not even that great..

I know .. but I've seen bad performance of SG on their laptops , by competent I ment for indie titles heh.. my PC is not even that great..

My laptop is straight garbage and can run SG perfectly with 3d backgrounds. I can't imagine what they have.

My laptop is straight garbage and can run SG perfectly with 3d backgrounds. I can't imagine what they have.

Pretty much an anciet relic of awesome times ...
I remember when we first finished Half-Life 2 on one of those laptops.. It couldn't even run portal or TF2.

How do I persuade my friends to buy Skullgirls? That's an easy one.

I just bring it up in conversation. "So I started playing Skullgirls the other day. You've heard about Skullgirls, right?" And I'll talk about it for a while, tell them what makes it unique/what makes me like it. Bringing up the possibility of playing online with them always helps. If they seem interested, I show them some game footage (Such as this Squigly showcase I used in a successful ensnare), and I let the game do the talking for itself.
In fairness I've got a whole one person to buy it, so my tactics may not be the most effective.

I go up my friends slap there bitch ass and say buy this game.

In reality I show them the game and almost all of my friends love it except for the one who hates fighting games....

Skullgirls is on a -50% flash sale on Steam. 5 hours 47 minutes left the moment I'm typing this. If you have someone you can tell about this, do it.

Reactions: Kai
I'm glad to say that I've convinced a total of 5 other friends to buy the game since the last time I posted here.

I've just been playing the game in a much more public setting at college, our video games club which is in the student center where, as you can imagine, a lot of students pass through. I've just been playing it consistently at least 2 days a week every week since PC release there and slowly but surely I've gotten them interested and others that were interested started practicing again. All in all, everything is going rather smoothly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kai