• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

What got you into skullgirls, and why are you staying?

Sg.gif

I followed the game pretty religiously after that. Watched every Salty Stream, bought is as soon as it was available (360...yay) and donated to the indiegogo immediately after discovering it.

That said, as much as I love this game, its art, its music and its community, I don't like the game. Not to say that the game is bad, it's fucking incredible! But my deep-rooted hatred of the MVC subgenre of fighting games prevents me from enjoying this game as much as I feel I should. It shouldn't, but it does.

Skullgirls in an on again-off again kinda thing for me, and even though my dumb ass will probably never give the game the time and dedication it deserves, I'll still love and support it as much as I can. I'm still gonna buy it on my Vita (and my PS4, when I get one) when it comes out, and I'm gonna but multiple copies of the audio cd to give to my friends, and when I get a new computer, the first thing I'm gonna do is but the game on Steam.

As odd and disrespectful as it may sound: I'll support Skullgirls in any way I can that does not involve actually playing it.

Reactions: majorgalaxy
Came for the really great story and characters this game has behind it. On-and-off again stayed sorta-kinda because the community is awesome, and for the fact that I really like Big Band. I mean, I'm extremely terrible at the game still, I only won one match. But the game is charming for me, in a way.

[reveal trailer]
wow that was pretty cool that girl had muscle arms out her head and chainsaw wolves and I think I saw like 5 panty shots

[animation promo]
wow I gotta get this game

Reactions: dMags
I basically got into it just because it had a good PC port. I more or less quit fighting games right before what people seem to be calling the “dark ages” and never really needed a PS3 or 360.

I stayed because it reminded me of Marvel 2 without the stuff that I hated in 2000 and the training mode was pretty impressive. Now that the game won’t being seeing too many changes to gameplay for a while, I’m hoping to put more effort in to it and maybe start showing up to things at some point.

Our community is the best; going to offline events or playing skype sessions makes me love playing the game.

Also crossunders.

Well first of all, I'm a Gaiaonline veteran, and if anyone knows, Alex Ahad actually worked over at Gaia making art and items
The item that did it for me of his was the Alruna's Rose and this art right here . I remember at the time i was going through a style change and when i saw Alex's art i was like "damn this was more or less what i wanted my art to more or less be like" but still followed his work cause #BLESS

Then down the road when SG was released, i found out THE GUY WHO MADE THAT ITEM IS WORKIN WITH THIS GAME???!!

It wasn't until this March i finally bought the game because i wanted to play a game with friends to bring us together and this is one they all had so i was like "Why the hell not i love the artist's work lets support"

I am def staying because i STILL love all the character's designs and i basically got gud within a month, something rare with me when it comes to fighting games
The game is just so smooth and it can get so hype, i have met a LOT of great people on twitch because of this game and even made some 'sensei's' that took me under their wing and im STILL learning :'D

I haven't met TOO many jerks which is good; i like to keep my streams super positive and FUN so whenever i see t-baggers or fuckboys that come into my stream, i try my best to deliver the smack down and tell em to stay young and beautiful :)c

Hello, most of you already know me by now. You've either met me during a Quick Match or seen my Art Thread. I usually don't reply to threads like these, but I need some time off from studying right now. Long story ahead.

I never really played any fighting games. Sure, I played stuff like Smash and MK when I was a kiddo, but I can't really count those since all you did was fool around with friends mostly. Some time after Skullgirls Encore got released, the news spread around like crazy. The game looked interesting, but not interesting enough for me to buy. Roughly a year later or so, my fingers got really itchy..for a new fighting game. It's been too long since I played one, so I really wanted to give it a go again and Skullgirls had been on my wishlist for a while. It's the art style that makes it attractive, really. I strongly dislike all the panty shots and anime references, but the game was still worth trying, especially for such a low price. The characters look fun and I love how bright and colourful the game looks. Everything is hand-drawn too. Amazing.

I spent my days playing the game, obviously. Going through all storylines, character tutorials, difficulties and so on. Holy hell, this game has breathtaking controls. I play a 360 pad analog stick (don't kill me) and my inputs REGISTER SO WELL (unless I try a DP move). From what I remember, playing other fighters like MK with the 360 stick was just plain TORTURE. Every few horizontal inputs go through as "jumps" and what the fuck that's bloody annoying. Besides, Skullgirls always runs on a nice stable 60 FPS and everything is so..smooth..dang. For some reason, I wanted to get better at the game. Mastering a fighting game seemed new and "cool" to me. I was desperately looking for a main and after my first 30 hours of gameplay, I did get my first main and combos. I entered Quick Match after being able to beat Nightmare difficulty and eh..like everyone before me, I got slamdunked over and over again. It was no fun anymore. Yet I kept playing. And playing. And playing. Everyone I met seemed better than me, but I promised myself to be able to score some wins too in the end. No, I didn't have many friends to play with, only two. They were the biggest casuals and didn't intend on improving unlike me. I was angry at the game to be frank, because everyone beat me and I found it unfair that I didn't get matched up with players of the same skill level. But you know what? The game did get fun again after I finally got my first wins online. It took me 110 hours to be able to do that. It just felt so damn satisfying.. Why do I remember the exact hours? Anyways, afterwards, I slowly developed a thirst for blood, a thirst for more wins. I went back to practicing and perfecting my main as I ended up discovering my second main.

I lived on Quick Matching and Training Mode (lonely.jpg). Strangely enough, I got pretty good at the game. I started winning most of my matches. At this point, I was still disconnected from the community so I decided to stalk some Steam Groups out of boredom. At 220 hours, I found the ASG labs hosted by @Grimmhart and @Muro at the time and I entered the chat one day. The information tab on the group page really wanted you to enter so I guess I couldn't resist? Grimm and Muro and co. were really nice to me! I gained some friends like @Yallus and it made me adore the game even more. Muro even invited me to play at Skullbats EU. I said I wasn't good enough to join a competitive scene like that, but he persuaded me to do it anyway. Two weeks later, I ended up third, at my first "tourney" ever. The hype was real. From there, stuff only went uphill for me. I participated more frequently in all kinds of tourneys, got better rapidly, and met a lot, A LOT of new people. I joined Skullheart, drew fanart and played people all over the world. The community is very nice, they usually wanna help you out. In return, I help and coach people too. They say I'm one of the better players from Europe nowadays, and I'm very happy to hear that you know? I came outta nowhere and am still fairly "new".

I'm writing this post because it's been exactly a year since I started playing Skullgirls.
Thanks to Skullgirls, I have grown an interest for other fighting games as well and the mindgame behind it. It sounds silly, but the game has changed my life. So thank you Mike and Alex, if you ever happen to find and read this post by coincidence.

Long story short: came for the art style - stayed for the gameplay and community.
I never, NEVER expected to end up this far. I probably forgot to mention something, but whatever.
I am Crux. This is my story.

Also, it took me an hour to write this crap lmaoo
EDIT: SHIT I JUST SAW HOW LONG THIS POST REALLY IS

Last edited:
Hey all,

Was keeping an eye on this game in the distance, then when things went a bit sour with Konami I kinda lost touch with it (especially since the future seemed uncertain at the time). Then I heard about Encore and was happy they were able to bounce back. What drew me to it in the first place was the art design; just thought it looked pretty cool, plus many ppl had said it could definitely hold it's own as a fighting game. Also thought it was awesome they were offering some DLC characters free for the first few months after their initial release.

Was still on the fence tho, considering the lower amount of total characters/modes available as compared to other fighters out there. However, when this game went on sale a few wks ago decided to pick it up... and am glad I did so.

The game handles great! Plus it has probably one of the best tutorials I've ever seen in a fighting game. Still learning the ropes, but that's okay, am having plenty of fun doing so!:PUN:

Had followed Alex Ahad's work for a while, as well as being a fan of his on GaiaOnline (Which I still frequent)

I forget when I heard about the release date of Skullgirls but I had a countdown to the xbox 360 release (when I played on there) and got it day 1.

I keep coming back because I love the mechanics, community, and the character designs.

Reactions: Cillaid
Never played fighting games prior about this time last year, saw the Steam Summer sale and SG was in it. Grabbed it on the recommendation that it's a good learning game for fightan. It's also pretty fun.

Came because of the sale. Stayed because I can rickroll people with Big Band.

Best $4 I ever spent.

Reactions: erkicman
I love the art style,lore etc.

In all honesty this has to be one of the top five games I practically worship

Didn't play against Mike Z much when Calamity Trigger came out but played against him a scant number of times when i was "glencocoe" on psn & played as Nu lolll. I had heard he was making skullgirls & was waiting to see what happened with that, then got in a car accident & couldnt touch my ps3 because no tv in my room. So i just had my laptop and i needed my fighting game fix & just played the Continuum Shift Arcade leak people went crazy about lol. played it to death. SG came out finally when I moved to canada and just stuck with it. The mechanics were buttery smooth & honestly the net code has spoiled me SOOOOOOOOO MUCH...it baffles me. It's like dark magic or something. Majority of the reason i don bother with other fighters is the terrible netcode they have.

Also the community here feels very intimate. Not necessarily small despite being a little smaller than others, but it's growing a lot and i wouldnt have it any other way

Reactions: SpaceCadetKeon

Also the community here feels very intimate. Not necessarily small despite being a little smaller than others, but it's growing a lot and i wouldnt have it any other way

There is one thing, the SG community in general feels more friendly than other fighting games, and i like that a lot.

The SG community in general feels more friendly than other fighting games, and i like that a lot.
Agreed. Went to 8WR and was immediately banned because some guy claimed I was his alt. GameFAQs is just toxic. Went to a Skullgirls stream and was immediately welcomed, given tips on how to do better, invited to a tournament, etc. THAT is why I keep coming back.

You guys are amazing. All of you.

Reactions: Dean[SG] and dMags
I heard about SG since vanilla is out.
I heard some of the popular players played it.
I loved Peacock as a character because she was so cartoony, and her keep away doe.

I came because of the free Steam download a while back and stayed because, well, it's just a ton of fun. The fighters are all their own unique characters, I like the old-timey aesthetic, and the fighting mechanics are solid. I suppose the $15 price tag is also nice :p

I heard about SG since vanilla is out.
I loved Peacock as a character because she was so cartoony, and her keep away doe.
Same here, bought the game because of Peacock and stayed because of Peacock lol.

Wasn't interested at first because it was a fighting game, until I saw a review by SomeCallMeJohney. Curious got me so I went looking for fanfiction and ended up here. I haven't seen the story yet but I do know most of the important facts. I'm just hoping they get a true story mode before/if they make a sequel.

I got into the game because it looked, sounded and felt like a unique and delightful experience.

I stayed because I don't want to suck at a game this beautiful I want to be able to play the game competently. I've historically sucked with traditional fighters

Reactions: The Dave
I got into this game when I saw how the PS4 Skullgirls 2nd encore has working PS3 sticks.
Then I realized how I took this detailed game for granted all these years and felt like a moron, so I took the chance to start playing it from Skullgirls 2nd encore onward, especially because I saw Black Dahlia and immediately wanted to main her, so I want to be as ready as I can for when she arrives, which I believe, with no proof for it, will happen next year or so.

Last edited:
It was a new fighting game.
Looked cool and right up my alley.
What won me over was Ms.Fortune. I heart cat grills.
The Art also pulled me in, unique and awesome to look at.

It was a fighting game on PC

and

Peacock and Double's art/animations were incredible

Artwork, Soundtrack, Characters. Gameplay was solid.

Pretty much those three are the selling points with fighting games. The fourth one came after the purchase and lets me stay with it.

What got me into SG:
  • the art deco style is lovely
  • the characters seemed cool and interesting
  • the tutorials are the most detailed in the genre. ("I used to suck at fighting games. Still do, but I used to, too.")
What's keeping me in SG:
  • godly balance (compared to most games in the genre)
  • system turns out to be actually roughly as accessible as promised by the extensive tutorials
  • Beowulf is 287 pounds of folded steel and sex appeal

I got into Skullgirls because I had just got an arcade stick for USF4, and was horny for more fighting games. Skullgirls was the cheapest one available on PS4, and having already known it was good via some FGC friends, decided to pick it up. The first few hours with the game were really pleasant, since I dove right into the tutorials. A huge improvement over USF4's "tutorials."

What's keeping me playing is (in no particular order) the challenges, the music, overall style, and I suppose the characters; I'm pretty indifferent about them all for the most part, but the training section is set up so well that I feel enthusiastic about learning as many of them as I can. Some of them turned me off initially, but now I know to look past that, since my first main ended up being Cerebella, and I've NEVER been into grapplers.

The gratuitous tits everywhere doesn't really sit so well with me, though. Don't get me wrong, I love tits, but there's some clash -- perhaps it's because the art style looks like it was lifted straight out of a Saturday morning cartoon or something. My roommate and I got a kick out of watching the intro video the first time I launched the game. "Tits... tits... robot tits... tits... catgirl tits... tits..."

Reactions: The Dave
Before Skullgirls, the most of my fighting game experience was just with playing Smash Brothers casually, and even then, my skill at it was completely random. Since when I'm playing with my brothers and friends, I would usually be the first out, but other days I've somehow beat the crap out of everyone without knowing what I just did.

As for how I found out about this game, while my brother was hyped for Azura's Wrath, he showed me some of the trailers for it. After he was done showing me the trailers, I briefly saw Skullgirls under upcoming games for the Xbox. I was mildly curious, but it wasn't enough for me to look up. Sometime later around September, Ms.Fortune's trailer popped up when I was searching something on Youtube, and out of curiosity, I clicked on it. Shortly into it, I felt pretty mind-fucked afterwards mostly because it was one of the most bizarre character designs I have ever seen (at the time, that is). Although I've heard it was a pretty solid fighting game with tons of other stuff to like, I tried to avoid the game for a year or two.

Then about 2-3 months ago, Emer Prevost mentioned Skullgirls on one of his friday Q&As, and I got a bit of shock. He then put out 2 let's plays for it, and he said that it was pretty fun even though he's not a fan of fighting games. Also since I've heard from a friend on another forum that it was on sale on Steam, I bought a Steam card shortly after summer school and bought it. (Though I had to buy it twice since I accidently bought the 4-pack)

At first, I played it just so that I can get one chapter of my life out of the way. Afterwards, I play Skullgirls for practically everything else it has to offer since for the most part, it's very hard for me to find a negative about this game aside from online connection. At this point, I'm just trying to find familiar people to play with on Thursday-Saturday nights (just so it doesn't interfere with school). Even aside from the game, the community is probably the best I've ever seen (though that's just from my previous experiences with places like Dota 2 and Roblox). As for now, I'm curious what Lab Zero will do next. (I'm looking at you Indivisible.)

I left this game for a year to explore melee. I came back because 2nd Encore released.

I hope SoCal has a prominent scene in person.

literally it came from my friend giving me a link to the DLC poll and saying to vote for Umbrella. I forgot about it for a long time until Octopimp uploaded that highlight match. I looked more into it after about a year of forgetting it's existence and I loved it.
And I stick around because whenever I like something I tend to have a long period of time where I just binge on it until I'm so burnt out you can see the steam coming out of my head.

I bought it on release, back when community forums and what not weren't really there. Played, got stomped, left.
Came back on Squigly release, played, got stomped, left.
Let it sit uninstalled for a LONG time, made sure the pick up the DLC characters for free as they came out.
Came back on Robo release.
Discovered the community, playthrough story mode on sleepwalk, play and finish tutorial.
Stayed because once you understand the mechanics the game doesn't seem unfair at all, the art and story is great, the community is amazing.

I bought this game for a tf2 key back like 2 years ago or something for $2.49. I wanted to get better and better at this game, my first 100 hours were with Parasoul, and then I moved on to Big Band later on. This is the game that inspired me to be better at fighting games, and as such, inspired me to be the best Project M Samus in Alaska. Thanks, Skullgirls.

Bought it on release for PS3 but I never really got to do much cause of school and friends. Tried to get back in after SDE and Squigly but I just kept slipping away. Finally when Encore and Eliza came, I started playing again more often although I would stay in training and quick match. After Beo's release I started looking into PC Skullgirls and watching tournaments. During a re-stream of the Skullgirls tournament at Combo Breaker, I won a copy of the game in a giveaway. Ever since then I've been playing it more and more and I dont see myself stopping anytime soon.

Filia was the first character I saw then cerebella. Lol i remember when i thought the title skullgirls ment that all the girls would be attacking with something on their head and those two didn't help resolve that thought.

I still remember first seeing parasoul in her rough animation form back in like 2010-2011. she did her s.HK and thats when i was like what is this game i must know more. So yeah first interest started with a panty shot sue me. (they were white back then.) I can't find beta parasoul vids anymore.

After the initial intrest the Infinite prevention system caught my attention. That was the first time I had heard of something like that and I thought it was really smart.

3rd, of all things, that got me in was the art style. Back when filia was new i didn't really take much notice of the art style but as the game grew the artstyle began to click with me. I played other "anime fighters" and this broke the mold.

The things that keep me in are the knowlege of all the work that goes/went into the animations and programing, and the actual fighting isn't bad either:PUN:. SG is really the first 2d fighter I was ever really decent at.

Reactions: CatfishZealot
I came across Skullgirls' page on TVTropes when I was still using a toaster to go on Internet. Tought to myself "Eh, another panty fighter."
Noticed a "The Dev Team tought of everything" section talking about IPS and other stuff, and decided to investigate further, especially after reading after the tutorials, as I was pretty much a fighting game noob (and still kinda am)

Discovered pretty art, nice character design and fast paced gameplay. Forgot about it since my computer was a toaster crossed with a wristwatch.

Flash forwards to a few months ago, got a middle-end computer. I was browsing Steam and noticed a good sale on Skullgirls.
Bought it, downloaded it, played around, liked it, bought all DLC the next day.

Reactions: CatfishZealot
I was scouring the Steam store for games that seemed interesting, but nothing was catching my eye. Then, remembering Fairlight Excalibur's Twitch stream and how he talked about For Honor's mechanics like recovery time, unblockable moves, feints and cheesy strategies, I realized fighting games with deep mechanics were really intriguing.

Then I also remembered that video my old osu friend showed me 4 years ago about a game with big bouncing anime boobs and rad graphics, I put "Skullgirls" into the search bar and just spontaneously bought the game for 10€.

I tried out the tutorial, and I loved it, man. I thought the tutorial would be over after I did a simple chain with Filia ending on a super, but there was so, so, so much more. It completely baffled me how in-depth the tutorial was, it was practically screaming at me "Fighting games are interesting!!!"

The next day I bought 2nd Encore and got rolled by my friend, but I still had a blast.