• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

What is Next for Skullgirls After Robo Fortune?

I agree they don't need a new engine, plus you know they'd keep all the stages and characters that they've put the work into. Really I see 'Skullgirls 2' being an expansion pack with new story modes and characters, maybe new menus and maybe some new audio and animations for the original cast.

I'm not a videogame company, but I'd say they'd need a decent publisher to back them financially if we're gonna see anything.

Man, if we could get greedy though....

3 Final Characters, to fill out that row under Big Band, Fukua, and... I THINK Robo Fortune takes the bottom left?

Nonetheless, the big 3 final projects.

Marie - Massive plot dump (possibly having to be overhauled from the original concept) like Eliza

Annie - The "Best Loser" of the DLC rounds that has kept insane popularity to this day.

Umbrella - Salt Incarnate that has been stated is needed to be playable and have a story mode for the true story to be revealed.

While I am excited for the voice packs take my money I need a Russian announcer I would have liked if we got more characters. As it is, the roster isn't very large. it's such a shame we'll never get to see the true ending, and I'd have really loved if Umbrella was playable. I really doubt they'll make a Skullgirls 2 but I'd be up for it. Right now they should just stick to getting the new ports they're making working and other then that I think they're done. They might do another Kickstarter or Indiegogo for a Skullgirls 2 or more DLC, although the chances of that are pretty slim, let alone them getting much support for it.

Whens the PS4/ Vita ports come out i just hope the game finally build real meta, many of mine community drops SG "because the constantly balances patches", i know if the game gets this many people would be interested in play/ would be more respected.

Major publishers? I just want Lab Zero to keep total control of everything.

I can't wait for the voice packs. Especially female anouncer, drunk anouncer and soviet Mike lol

But after all this, we don't know. I was thinking, what if they release Umbrella, Marie and Black Dahlia, and that's it for now. After that comes Skullgirls 2...

About Skullgirls 2, what do you expect? Same roster and more characters, or a totally diferent roster composed by characters who didn't made it to Skullgirls? The Lab 8 pals, Brain Drain, the Circus guys, Isaac, Annie, the Egrets... There's a lot of characters who could be in.

Or what if they release DLC characters as thematic packs? 'Evil Characters pack' --> Black Dahlia, Brain Drain, Ottomo, Samson; 'Lab 8 pack' --> Stanley, Hive, Leduc, Ileum...

I dont even know if Lab Zero has control as it stands, pretty sure that goes to autumn. As much as I would like them to make the canon characters and story mode before moving on to a new project, they've made it pretty clear that they're done. The best we can hope for is that they're next game takes place in the skullgirls universe, I think it's a pretty rich world that Alex has created, but even then they might just want to move onto a completely new place.

In an ideal world I would love for them to make a 3rd encore with the 3 missing characters and story mode, release it in a few years as a fully priced game like arc system works and capcom do with their fighters. People are happy to shell out full price for every new iteration of their favorite series, and I feel the same way about skullgirls. I don't really think I want a skullgirls 2 for a while, I'd much rather them expand what they have already.

Mike's stated he's pretty burnt out as it is. I'm thinking they'll move on. Move on to a few smaller projects with smaller budgets, or get picked up by someone bigger. Something with less scope than Skullgirls, which placed in the Guinness Book of World Records let's not forget. So...I wouldn't mind them moving on. I wanna see guys like Annie really badly, but at this point I don't really care what they do, I'll buy it and support it 100%

What if they sell the rights to NRS and then Boon makes Skullgirls 2?

lmao

You monster. That's both genius, and a recipe for disaster!

Now I want to see Painwheel actually split ppl in half gosh darn it.

Reactions: Caleb
None of those people you said were Annie though

If it were up to me, [Don't leave it up to me], Make Marie, Black Dhalia and Umbrella then Annie for "Final Big Bang" DLC, that's the bare minim to me if it was going to continue. However i learned my lesson on this topic. That's personally what i would like to happen, but if it is ever going to happen, it will be after they have a break and just enjoy life again, (because the community all knows they deserve it), and a publisher (or a crowdfunding campaign that doesn't force them to take a paycut).

The end game is that we are getting fun voice packs, a polished game, more platforms for it to be released on and an airtight balanced system.

I heard a rumor that if Capcom sold them the IP that would love to do a Darkstalkers game? Can you imagine a reborn Darkstalkers being made by Lab Zero? I would shit my pants.

Mike's stated he's pretty burnt out as it is.
Tired != burnt out.

While I am excited for the voice packs take my money I need a Russian announcer I would have liked if we got more characters.
But...the voice packs are free rewards, and have nothing to do with characters?
Also, the game got two more characters than were funded...

As it is, the roster isn't very large.
More characters than BBCT, a $60 game, even including the hidden characters in BBCT.
Same number as Xrd has without their DLC. (edit: Or wait, Sin is unlockable without paying right? So one fewer, but Xrd is also $60 and the characters are $8.)
2 fewer than BBCS, which was the SECOND FULL-PRICE GAME in that series.

SG is still $15. It's $15! That's $1.07 per character when Robo's done. And everyone in the game is viable in high level play.
C'mon, yo.

I always wondered why most fighting titles cost so much and why Skullgirls cost so little in comparison?

Capcom. Street Fighter. Arc System Works. Guilty Gear.

Brand names can do a lot.

Reactions: shoryusatsu999
More characters than BBCT, a $60 game, even including the hidden characters in BBCT.
Same number as Xrd has without their DLC. (edit: Or wait, Sin is unlockable without paying right? So one fewer, but Xrd is also $60 and the characters are $8.)
2 fewer than BBCS, which was the SECOND FULL-PRICE GAME in that series.

SG is still $15. It's $15! That's $1.07 per character when Robo's done. And everyone in the game is viable in high level play.

As you just said, you're already in a position where you should have released 2 sequels with the actual content by Blazblue standard! It's one of the many reason i'm actually excited for the eventual physical release : I often have the impression that if someone that isn't necessarily knowledgeable in the fighting game news and see it on the shelf, it's more likely that it will give it a chance than if it's on the digital store at a low price, going with the logic that low price = less good game(and and that the casual gamer is more likely to browse at ebaygame than at a digital store) unless it's a deal like 60$ with 75% discount.

The physical will probably be very limited, but it will help give it more exposure, as will combo breaker and company! Each time i talk about that game to someone they have no idea what i'm talking about and get confused(schoolgirls? is there schoolgirls in it?), and then i do the error to compare it to darkstalkers and of course they still don't know what i'm talking about...but each time i actually show it always impress!

Tired != burnt out.
Yay code jokes.

As for characters, can someone math and see how many different team combinations you can get out of the 14 characters in SG currently? Just been wondering is'all.
EDIT: Also i am actually really fucking impressed at how you have gotten every character to be viable in top tier play, that is my favorite tidbit about this game.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Dave
I always wondered why most fighting titles cost so much and why Skullgirls cost so little in comparison?
Because they cost more to make, and the company wants a higher profit percentage too.

As for characters, can someone math and see how many different team combinations you can get out of the 14 characters in SG currently? Just been wondering is'all.
(14*13*12 = 2,184 trios) + (14*13 = 182 duos) + (14 solos) = 2,380. Not counting different assist types or team orders.
(For a meaningless comparison, there are 44*44 = 1,936 matchups in USF4, which is less than the number of trios one can make. There are 2,380*2,380 = 5,664,400 possible matchups in SG, still ignoring assist types or team order.)

physical release [snip] see it on the shelf
I'm not sure a physical release means stocking it at Gamestop...? If we did a run of say, 1000*, there's no way it gets in stores.

* no, I don't have any idea how many copies there'd be if such a thing happened, this is just a number because I needed a number.

I'm not sure a physical release means stocking it at Gamestop...? If we did a run of say, 1000*, there's no way it gets in stores.

I admit that i have absolutely zero idea on how the business works especially relating to distributing physical copies. Even the arc system games hard hard to find in their release date on the shelves after all. But since many game localization got over only in digital form, i guess the cut manufacturers get from these is quite significant.

Still, that won't stopping me from ordering it!

(14*13*12 = 2,184 trios) + (14*13 = 182 duos) + (14 solos) = 2,380.

Thanks for putting up how you came to each one, its been bugging me for weeks on how to figure that out ><
That's actually pretty awesome.

Not counting different assist types or team orders.
yeaaaah no fuck that.

the thread keeps making me heart-broken. Wipe my tear a time with reading every each post;n;;;. cant deal with it.fucking reality.

C'mon, yo.

I've always said you guys made a mistake by not charging more. I just hope in the future you leverage your fanbase more- I'm positive we're all more than happy to pay a *lot* more than what you charged for skullgirls.

I've always said you guys made a mistake by not charging more. I just hope in the future you leverage your fanbase more- I'm positive we're all more than happy to pay a *lot* more than what you charged for skullgirls.
Yeah, now that you are fans. But how many people wouldn't have bought an 8-character game for more than that?

Welp believe what you like Mike, but I would easily have paid more for 8 characters, but that's just me.
The art alone for me is worth the price.

Reactions: No longer exist
I totally did buy it because it was $15. I mean, I ended up buy it 2 more times after that, but I think getting in the door at a low price point was a necessity for a new fighter. I said, "why the hell not?" and got lucky with a gem, but before I bought it, there was no way I could have known how much I'd come to love it. Maybe I wouldn't have even bought it had it been more expensive. I can't say, for sure.

Now that I'm more versed in what goes into making a game, and what other fighters give you for $60, I'd be way more willing to part with more cash for what Skullgirls offers. I can totally understand why they led off with a lower price point, though.

Reactions: No longer exist
I will sell my soul for Annie.

or $60, that's probably worth more than my soul.

Reactions: Beuzer0
Yeah, now that you are fans. But how many people wouldn't have bought an 8-character game for more than that?

Well obviously we did! And yeah we're a minority... but Waku Waku 7 costed more back then with the same number of character and it was still worth it!

The second encore will force the critic to review it a second time, and since all the complaint have been resolved since, it should gets rave review and enlarge the fanbase. Let's hope and wait!

You didn't already? Now i'm puzzled by that lack of devotion toward Annie from you!

Reactions: shoryusatsu999
*patiently waits for Lab Zero's phone call to build a worksafe Skullgirls Dating Sim with HuniePop's Match-Three Game Mechanics and Humorous Banter between SG Voice Actresses/Actors.*
~~Beowulf leans close, his breath caressing your ear as he whispers, "Wulfamania is about to run wild."~~
5xtDarIN81U0KvlnzKo.gif

~~Beowulf leans close, his breath caressing your ear as he whispers, "Wulfamania is about to run wild."~~

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Reward players with more pin-ups and illustration art (animated shorts?) after venturing into different possible waifu/husbando endings.

Reactions: Shockdingo

You will soon be met by kyubey

You expected it to not be meh?

Sympathies to mike Z that he has the patience to answer the same question every time it comes up.

Reactions: YoYoCheese
Honestly, I got the game cause of the artwork first. I like fighting games in general so that was fine too, but I think I learned more from SG than the others. I've bought it twice(?) already which reminds me that I might get it for a friend if her BF doesn't get it for her now that she has his PS3 >w>