• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Where's Skullgirls going ?

The-Mikester

Reaction score
Cerebella Eliza Squigly
Just outta curiousity:BIG: , for some reason I find myself really getting into Skullgirls, maybe because I can't afford to buy SFV yet, but it is actually a totally legit fighting game, very technical, hard combo based, a lot of strategy, very competitive and I find it very entertaining imo:PUN: ,,, So how big is Skullgirls? is it dead, is it going anywhere. Of Course, I realize with all the SFV hype atm ,so maybe not the right time to ask :VAL: .. but what the hell :FUK:. whats ya all think?

Skullgirls is going nowhere because Lab Zero is still awaiting for Sony NA and EU to approve the Vita release.

Yeah, it's getting bigger. I have a feeling though that this game will have a hard time dieing. Mike Z and friends made such a brilliant game! It was the only fighter I was able to get into. Its like a gem(Hell, it IS a gem!). You tell me where we can find another fighter that is as balanced or has a understandable, in depth tutorial. This game did everything right, and I'd love to see this community/game stay strong until a skullgirls 2!

P.s. skullgirls ∞/10

Reactions: ACreationist
Skullgirls is gonna rest on its laurels and gain entrants during Indivisible's development...you know, up and up stuff. We here can and will keep SG relevant till L0 gets back around to it.
(I thought they had secured the Vita release...what's up with that?)

FYI, JP and US/EU Vita releases aren't related to each other.
::yoink::
But what I'm saying is true. Sony Asia, or Sony Japan approved Skullgirls Vita first like I heard on that article, so it is Sony NA/EU's turn to be approved. It seems like this must be applying to Japan having their games released before North America and Europe to which the cycle is supposed to be...

But what I'm saying is true. Sony Asia, or Sony Japan approved Skullgirls Vita first like I heard on that article
Yes, I'm aware. ::points to "Lab Zero" written under his name::

My point was, EU/US approval and JP release are not related to each other; we're working on lobbies for consoles anyway. :^)

Reactions: Wenzel
Yes, I'm aware. ::points to "Lab Zero" written under his name::

My point was, EU/US approval and JP release are not related to each other; we're working on lobbies for consoles anyway. :^)
Fair enough. I'm very glad you're working on lobbies because most of us are tired of the boring old room holding only 2 players. That way, we can create a lobby to hold more than 2 players, spectate matches in lobbies and hope it can be better than the PC version without the crash and the bugs.

Fair enough. I'm very glad you're working on lobbies
We promised 'em, we'll deliver 'em.

hope it can be better than the PC version without the crash and the bugs.
We do aim for 100% parity, meaning we have to port the crashes and bugs intact. :^P

Reactions: kisspower12
I never been inspired by the famous and the one and only Mike Z, but it is surprising since we made Indivisible happen.

Lately SG has only grown, and while I'm not sure how far that growth will continue I'm sure it's enough to say the game ain't gonna die off any time soon. Right now Skullgirls occupies some pretty unique niches: largest indie fighting game and the only one with a notable competitive scene at all, only game where the community is largest on PC, only fighting game on Mac and Linux, one of only two tag-based games still active (while being very very different from that other one despite the Marvel roots) and the only one with variable team sizes, and the lead dev is a competitive player who almost seems to be the only one left who actually knows what he's doing anymore. Nothing is really in direct competition with Skullgirls, so most of the current playerbase isn't likely to drop it and move on to something else.

However, there's still indirect competition from the fact that tournaments just don't have room to run 500 different games. So many new fighting games have come out in recent years, making it hard for the plucky little indie to get any attention amidst the sea of other games. But it looks to me like that's finally starting to slow down, there aren't very many big releases on the horizon while more games are dying off or being replaced. The only big things I can think of are Tekken 7 (which technically isn't new and is starting to piss people off with how long Namco is taking to actually release it), KOF14 (which so far has met lukewarm reception), and Pokken (which I'll refrain from ranting about right now, let's just say the LAN issue will make it a hard sell to TOs). Meanwhile a lot of older games are dying down, UMvC3 is gradually declining from center stage to side game due to Disney stabbing it in the back, ArcSys is supposedly retiring BlazBlue after CF to focus all their eggs in the Xrd basket instead of trying to juggle 3 games, Mortal Kombat drove off a large chunk of angry players by openly shitting on PC, and Capcom is doing their damnedest to make sure USF4 dies - a nice gesture to free up room for the rest of us. Not to mention all the controversies around SF5 - hard to say where that'll end up in the long run, but for now it seems to be driving a fair number of people to at least go try out something else for a change.

Even with less competition from new releases though, I'd say there's still two things we have to worry about. Now that development has mostly wrapped up, it may be hard to keep bringing new blood into the game, since the kids these days want their games to be constantly changing in order to hold their attention span. And like it or not, Evo dictates what a lot of players will pay attention to, so by turning us down year after year they've imposed a hard ceiling to limit our exposure. Growth may be difficult from here on out.

IMO, I think we'll continue growing for a little while, then hold steady as long as there's nothing to replace us with. We're never gonna make it to Evo main stage and some people may say Skullgirls is past its prime, but I just don't see any threat of the game dying either. In fact I expect it'll outlast many other games due to all the unique things that set SG apart as that li'l indie game with a heart of gold. Maybe that's just fanboy bias talking, but I got a gut feeling we'll be alright.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Dave
Basically, I love the way Skullgirls became an acclaimed 2D fighting game. I've been hearing a rumor about Skullgirls 2, and it was planned to be announced. Since the release of Skullgirls Encore, the campaign of 5 DLC characters were announced and one clone character was free forever. Not an acclaimed aspect, but it will be one of the aspects to deal with.

Regardlessly, Skullgirls isn't the only fighter I enjoy because there are others like Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax (Flip enjoys the most. The updated version Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition is supposed to come in the west, with no U-Climax Arts to consume 5 stocks of the Climax Gauge, and Sega should've added one per character, or have French Bread promise them. Fortunately, it will be Marvel vs. Capcom 2 material as the original version. Thus, it would be awesome if it has a Skullgirls character to the mix), Under Night In-Birth (French Bread made this game before DBFC and Aksys may not know how long before Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late [st] gets released). There are more fighters I enjoy.

Because of hearing about Skullgirls 2, it would be awesome if it has some BlazBlue elements and if the setting takes place around the BlazBlue world. May it be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Professor Icepick
Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax (Flip enjoys the most. The updated version Dengeki Bunko: Fighting Climax Ignition is supposed to come in the west, with no U-Climax Arts to consume 5 stocks of the Climax Gauge, and Sega should've added one per character, or have French Bread promise them.
What.
Fortunately, it will be Marvel vs. Capcom 2 material as the original version. Thus, it would be awesome if it has a Skullgirls character to the mix), Under Night In-Birth (French Bread made this game before DBFC and Aksys may not know how long before Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late [st] gets released).
What.
Because of hearing about Skullgirls 2, it would be awesome if it has some BlazBlue elements and if the setting takes place around the BlazBlue world. May it be greatly appreciated.
SG2 isn't happening atm and if it was it wouldn't take place in the BlazBlue world.

Reactions: fenster
Thanks for all the input fellas :) ... Glad to see so many answers,, so that means , theres alot of life here, fantastic. And as I read it, this game has alot of life left in it ... So going to training mod , and hopfully I'll see u all online when I get just alittle better :D

@Skarmand Lab Zero did say that they are planned to make a sequel, but it has to be a better title than Skullgirls 2. I'm thinking Skullgirls: Dark Phantasma; that will be suited better, and I said that it would be awesome if it takes place AROUND the BlazBlue world. I said around, as in outside the BlazBlue world.

Chances are, it is likely that Cerebella attended in some kind of Barnum & Bailey Circus. So yeah, it would be great.

@Skarmand Lab Zero did say that they are planned to make a sequel, but it has to be a better title than Skullgirls 2. I'm thinking Skullgirls: Dark Phantasma; that will be suited better, and I said that it would be awesome if it takes place AROUND the BlazBlue world. I said around, as in outside the BlazBlue world.

Chances are, it is likely that Cerebella attended in some kind of Barnum & Bailey Circus. So yeah, it would be great.

I can't imagine the legal headache it would take to have a big anime fighter crossover with a western anime fighter.

Simply put SGxBB won't happen....unless by some huge stroke of luck.

I can't imagine the legal headache it would take to have a big anime fighter crossover with a western anime fighter.

Simply put SGxBB won't happen....unless by some huge stroke of luck.
All I'm saying is, that Skullgirls became an acclaimed 2D fighter, especially when it comes to music. If a BlazBlue x Skullgirls crossover didn't happen as a sequel to Skullgirls, then I'll be darned if it didn't, just like Trails of Cold Steel II didn't get a PS4 release, and I don't mean Skullgirls characters meeting BlazBlue characters.

Can you post your source
You looked at the Skullgirls Twitter page about it, right?

Last edited:
They said "if/when we get to SG." I think RPG King is mistaking.

Lab zero wants to make SG 2 if they had the chance but it's not planned.

Link the tweet that says SG2 is planned.
If a BlazBlue x Skullgirls crossover didn't happen as a sequel to Skullgirls, then I'll be darned if it didn't.
Prepare to be darned!

All I'm saying is, that Skullgirls became an acclaimed 2D fighter, especially when it comes to music. If a BlazBlue x Skullgirls crossover didn't happen as a sequel to Skullgirls, then I'll be darned if it didn't. But I don't mean Skullgirls characters meeting BlazBlue characters.

I don't want to sound rude, but do you understand how copyright works. MikeZ can't really call up blazeblue creator and go "yo can I put SG in blazeblue world?" Things cost money, time, legal stuff even if it's just for the world it has nothing to do with how Similiar the games are. Your simply doing wishful thinking.

I have to ask

What the balls does SG have to do with BlazBlue for it to "kind of" crossover?

Also, the darning will be strong as a BlazBlue x SG crossover is 95% surely not happening.

So it's about as confirmed as HL3.

Also, @the_rpg_king, if this is the tweet you are talking about, and to answer your earlier question, no I do not click on Skullgirls twitter and turn on replies and scroll to find this kinda information.

But I've heard no confirmation of any planned sequel, just if's...

Reactions: Magma442
I don't want to sound rude, but do you understand how copyright works. MikeZ can't really call up blazeblue creator and go "yo can I put SG in blazeblue world?" Things cost money, time, legal stuff even if it's just for the world it has nothing to do with how Similiar the games are. Your simply doing wishful thinking.
Maybe you had a point there. I guess a BlazBlue/Skullgirls crossover may not happen. I was speculating, then I realized it is copyright infringement. How about I be inspired by your Cerebella avatar, and we should be even?

Last edited:
It's an "If". "If"s are a common thing when it comes to game development. Fallout 4 was an "if" too, and it happened. It's both true and untrue, so we'll never know!

IF Skullgirls 2 is ever going to be a thing, it'll be a huge deal since the first one was /extremely/ successful. U can only imagine the publishers going crazy about funding the sequel if it ever happens.

I should've understand the whole point of the "if" situation. That past post aside, let's just say that the PS4 release for Trails of Cold Steel II will be an "if" while Skullgirls 2 is also an "if." Did I get that right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sinclair
U can only imagine the publishers going crazy about funding the sequel if it ever happens.
With how the industry is going, I'd say a lot of Publishers are already crazy. You'd have to talk sense into them in order to convince them to fund SG2.

With how the industry is going, I'd say a lot of Publishers are already crazy. You'd have to talk sense into them in order to convince them to fund SG2.

Relax. They're willing to fund SG2, as long as SG2 is now part sandbox, has pre-game buffs, and a crafting system.

Ubi and microsoft were willing to milk Assassins Creed dry, the fanbase hates it but still buys it. They know that when it comes to fan bases and communities, you can get a shitton of money out of it with the right advertising.

A very very stupid example, but if Undertale would ever make a sequel in the next few years, you can expect it to sell a bunch of copies. Like, a lot. Sequels always do great with the fanbase/community, since it'll feel like we didn't get enough content with the first one, or that we want to see what labzero can do more with a second fighting game. The SG community isn't that small, you still have a lot of skullfans who are willing to buy the sequel if it ever comes out. Bunch of weebs too who want to play as their unreleased waifu and whatever

As someone who has battled publishers a lot in the past, i can tell you that most of them would only publish certain projects if they got a hand in it themselves. I remember mike-z saying something during a stream about why 505 games was such a great publisher, because it gave them the artistic freedom when it came to designing the characters and writing them.

Corporations can be mean to indie devs. Indie devs put a lot of work in their games out of love and enthusiasm, and huge publishers and corporations want nothing but money and the profit they can make of it. There are /some/ publishers who aren't money grubbing bullies.

Bunch of weebs too who want to play as their unreleased waifu and whatever
Excuse me?!
But yeah, I agree with you. There's no way a SG2 could sell poorly; especially because it won't have the self-righteous, politically correct people slandering it when it releases.

Reactions: Sinclair
it has to be a better title than Skullgirls 2. I'm thinking Skullgirls: Dark Phantasma; that will be suited better
What's wrong with Skullgirls 2? When did basic number increments for sequels become outdated? I know ridiculous names has become a fad with anime games for the past couple years, but still. I've yet to hear anyone say 'sfv is too plain... let's call it "Street Fighter: Moonlight Miasma"!'

What's wrong with Skullgirls 2? When did basic number increments for sequels become outdated? I know ridiculous names has become a fad with anime games for the past couple years, but still. I've yet to hear anyone say 'sfv is too plain... let's call it "Street Fighter: Moonlight Miasma"!'
Skullgirls 2 is a plain title name, so I had to give it a fancy title, and Lab Zero actually suggests that it will be a big if and a majority of 15 to 20 people would get hype for it.

15 to 20 people would get hype for it.

Either those numbers are wrong or we have shrunk in human population.

Also what..

Either those numbers are wrong or we have shrunk in human population.

Also what..
After realizing that Skullgirls 2 is an if, I scoured the internet and I found people wanting Lab Zero to make another Skullgirls game. That's how I mention the number of people wanting it. I know you probably think that it will be an if, but I'm well aware of it.

After realizing that Skullgirls 2 is an if, I scoured the internet and I found people wanting Lab Zero to make another Skullgirls game. That's how I mention the number of people wanting it. I know you probably think that it will be an if, but I'm well aware of it.

Wait, like 20 members of Lab Zero, or just 20 random people? Or am I reading wrong?