• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Who to play/main?

Your Team

• Solo Character

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Tag Team

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Trio

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

seMpai

Student
Reaction score
Steam
hannibambel
Beowulf Cerebella
I haven't found a thread about ths topic, so I made one.

I don't want to ask you who I should play, but why you play your character/s. I think having some insight on those decisions can help noobs like me pick their own characters, and it's overall pretty interesting to know why people play their mains.
I don't really have a main for now, but to give an example:

:BEO:Beowulf:
  • His attitude is uplifting and gives me a smile
  • Grabs are fun ways of resetting in my view and they are hype af with Beowulf
  • The chair adds a layer of depth to his playstyle (zoning and different gameplans)

So here you go :)

Reactions: Jywa_
I built a team around Peacock, because Peacock is the only character I'm any good at. I don't think I'm very good at fighting games, but Peacock's design subverts a lot of fighting game fundamentals, and whatever it is she does I seem to do okay with her.

I've gone through several different teams over the time I've played this game: Peacock/Double, Peacock/Filia/Double, Peacock/Double/Painwheel, Double/Painwheel (this was a dark time), Peacock/Squigly/Big Band, and Peacock/Big Band, before settling on Double/Big Band/Peacock. The idea of this team is that Peacock is not particularly good at round start, but Double is, so play Double for the start of the round and then switch in Peacock once an opportunity presents itself. Examples of opportunities presenting themselves:

-Any hit from Double can combo into s.HP xx Peacock tag as long as I save my OTG. This sets up Peacock fullscreen away which is where she's best.
-If I DO use my OTG, I can still combo into Peacock tag using Double's Monster super > tag > Peacock c.MP s.MK. In some ways this route is better because I get to combo into a reset, but it costs meter and the conversion after Monster is very hard so it's likely to drop.
-Sometimes at neutral I can just Monster then tag and it can't be easily punished. Depends what characters I'm fighting and what's going on at the time.
-If Double dies without accomplishing anything (which is common, since I can really only play Peacock well), I still have the option of doing SSJ with Big Band and DHCing to Peacock's Lenny super, which is mostly safe. The damage it takes to kill Double usually builds a bar, so as long as I don't spend the bar I start the game with, I'll always come in with two bars to DHC to Peacock.

Aside from that the assists are designed to help Peacock control space. H Hornet Bomber is useful for her fullscreen keepaway and L Beat Extend is useful for covering the space above and in front of her (and is generally just one of the best assists in the game). I use George's Day Out as the Peacock assist just because I already have Beat Extend, one of the best assists in the game, and it was hard to find something that didn't overlap in functionality with that assist. George's Day Out gives me something I can use to help Double or Big Band get in when I'm having trouble creating an advantage.

idk if that's the kind of answer you're looking for but that's what I've got.

Reactions: 4th and Jywa_
I play Filia because she's the kindest girl and works with Samson. Gameplay-wise she's also straightforward. I play Parasoul because she's badass and smart, but still young and a little out of her depth. I'm getting more adjusted to her, but still incredibly newbish, my weakest character. I play Eliza because I needed an anchor and she was the best choice as my favorite villain ever (definitely an upgrade from "training mode punching bag"). After I picied her up I've also started loving her playstyle.

idk if that's the kind of answer you're looking for but that's what I've got.

Very detailed and gives a great insight :) are ou the mcpeanuts who did commentary for some tourneys?

I play Peacock/Robo-Fortune for a similar reason to McPeanuts. I love everything about Peacock's zoning tools so I wanted to build a team around her, and my favorite playstyle for Peacock is locking someone down in blockstun using a multi-hit assist with a long horizontal range that doubles as a space-controlling zoning tool, dealing huge amounts of chip damage and building lots of meter. There are only a few assists in the game that fill that role: Robo's beam, Filia's hairball, Fukua's drill and Squigly's drag n bite. Hairball works the best for me but I'm much better at zoners than I am at fast mixup-based characters, so I went with Robo as my second character.

I was infamous for switching my team every few months for a couple of years, and went through pretty much the entire cast because I couldn't find a team that I enjoyed playing while also being easy to use. My thought process was that obviously I can't just pick a duo of Peacock and beam because it has a hard time at round start and has an uncommon anchor character and has to work very hard to escape pressure, so I would have to try and compromise by picking a "good" team that l still kinda enjoyed. Turns out that those weak points weren't as bad as I thought, and that I would have been much better off practicing my duo instead of spending all that time trying out other teams.

So in summary: I found a character I loved (Peacock), I figured out the playstyle I loved (duo team playing aggressive projectile-based lockdown with long-range chip damage assist), and then picked my favorite character out of the entire pool of assists that would let me play that playstyle (Robo with H beam assist). If my Peacock playstyle didn't heavily rely on an assist I would have played her solo, and if I really loved two or three characters I would have tried to come up with a team that let them all work together.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Very detailed and gives a great insight :) are ou the mcpeanuts who did commentary for some tourneys?
Yep that's me!

I used to play Zelda in Project M and Ibuki in SF3/4, so when I saw a character who can put three things on the screen and a character who can jump and throw things at you I was like "Yup, that's my team." But after playing them for a while I felt like they were missing something as a duo. Pondered the rest of the cast for a bit and then went "Eh, beams look fun I guess." And beams were fun.

I used to play Zelda in Project M and Ibuki in SF3/4, so when I saw a character who can put three things on the screen and a character who can jump and throw things at you I was like "Yup, that's my team." But after playing them for a while I felt like they were missing something as a duo. Pondered the rest of the cast for a bit and then went "Eh, beams look fun I guess." And beams were fun.
And on the sixth DLC, Mike Z made beams. And it was good.

Reactions: kaleksi and Jywa_

Wait... Who is the second? Valentine?

Filia is the basic kit, and has almost everything you need to learn the game.

Since I'm an eternal casual, I'll never truly learn the game and leave her.

Filia is the basic kit, and has almost everything you need to learn the game.

Since I'm an eternal casual, I'll never truly learn the game and leave her.
True pros play Filia. She can wavedash.

Now Fukua. Fukua is a noob character. ;)

Hi, I'll share my experience starting 2014(?)

When i first picked up the game. My immediate thought was to go to training mode to see how the animations for attacks would look like.
I then picked up filia because "hairball" to me looks like a spindash. I picked up fortune cause i saw old SG of fortune sandwich combos.
Then i picked up squigly cause a player named guymelef mopped me so i wanted to learn exactly what squigly was about and then made my first team

Fortune/Squigly/filia

soon, big band came into play and i wasn't at a point where i could break down exactly how his tools worked or why they worked, or even his gameplan. I was close to just going back to Tekken and Street fighter x tekken. Then fukua's trailer was announced and i saw that her cmd grab absorbed the hits and snatched big band out of ssj.

once fukua came out i quickly learned bella because i wanted filia and fukua to work with H lnl, an armored horizontal assist and played that team from 2014 NEC to technically Summerjam 2015. During the year 2015 I wanted to learn another character cause cerebella did feel enjoyable, only the assist. I chose parasoul. I think the main reason i chose parasoul is mainly because whenever i played against one that knew how to tear toss it was very elegant looking and j.lp and tear explosions was really cool to see.

At that point Shademoneh played para/ fu/ fi. since I like parasoul enough but didn't like how that particular order was constructed, i played para/fi/fu instead and kept playing it until august of 2016 when fukua got massively revamped. When that happened i went through many many many many different teams but ultimately settled on para/filia/double for a more reliable anchor, more reliable way of using meter. Even with the fukua changes to make her more fluid I decided to keep playing para/fil/dub and make another team for fukua that i hope to show at the next tournament.

TL;DR

The only constant was filia. Can't give you an actual reason why i haven't dropped her other than "I hit people with this character" Mainly i play the team i use right now because it resonates with how i want to approach the game. "well rounded".

True pros play Filia. She can wavedash.

Now Fukua. Fukua is a noob character. ;)

Yes and no. The life reducing specials and the scaling reversal mechanics loads her with either unrealized potential or more complex mechanics a beginner shouldn't worry THAT much when starting the game.

Same reason i don't recommend half of the cast if you're just starting: Ms. Fortune head play and Eliza's sekhmet mixed combos aren't intuitive for a beginner, not everyone get used to managing hatred effectively with Painwheel, and i keep messing the chair/hype uses with Beo.

Many people starting think Squig is cute, but can't fully use neither the seria cancel nor the center stage mechanic well (setting up good wall bounces requires a lot of practice)

All in all, the original trio (Filia, Peacock, Bella) and double (as much as i hate her) have everything you need to learn without anything too unusual. The next step would be learning minion cooldown, buffs and debuffs with Parasoul, Val and Big Band.

After understanding these 6, you can master any unique mechanic.

hmmm I went through alot with my team. I started in vanilla but never seriously played until the tail-end of 2014. Solo Val was my girl. I like ninjas, I liked her design, her motivation for fighting, and most importantly, her toolkit. Everything about the character just resonated with me. later on i wanted to start a team, but at the time no one on the roster interested me until Eliza was announced. The second i saw her rip her friggin skeleton out and body you with it, i was in love. so for the longest time i was a duo Val/Eliza player. Then I met other ps3 players, and they taught me more about the game. Once I understood the game better i started experimenting with characters;Val/Robo/Eliza, Val/Fortune/Eliza, Val/PW/Eliza....none of em felt right until someone told me "try double". Next thing i know, its 2017 and i'm still playing Double.

So I first played Skullgirls, after NCV sent me a beta key on pc. I started with squigly and cerebella because I love characters with kooky mechanics and grapplers. After the pc release I picked up double because of the assist(and later the mixups) so I was playing squig/double/bella. Then I started playing val/bella/double because I thought val was pretty fun and she appealed to the OG Marvel player inside of me. When I realized my val was trash I just started playing bella/double until I saw eliza. I instantly fell in love with that character and have been playing her ever since.

My main team now is Eliza/Bella in any order. Sometimes I tag either Big Band( just realized I love this character about a month ago) or double at the end of the team.

But in short, I play Eliza just because I love her design and Mannerism, and Bella because she is a grappler that mixes you.

Vanilla: Solobella - Soul/Bella
SDE: Soul/Bella - Soul/Double
MDE (for a short time): Solo Double
Dropped the game just before Big Band release
[Post robo patch]: Robo/Double
Now: xx/xx/Parasoul with interchangeable zoner for the point character.

I basically played duo until I picked up a primary zoner because I didn't think either excelled without being in a trio.

Big Band is just the sickest baller I've ever seen in a fighting game so I went with him, Fukua because you don't suffer for playing braindead the way I do with her, and Peacock because I'm a jackwagon.

Then my brother picked up Valentine and I realized how much of a fool I was.

I mainly main solo Painwheel, because she was the hardest for me at the start of the game. I don't know why, but I feel tempted to main the characters who I struggle the most. I guess is my way of improving. Through learning more about the character, her mechanics and her overall design I ended up maining her. Also Valley girl voice pack

I only play teams of two. Additionally, every team of two that I run has Peacock as the point character. My main team consists of Peacock and Cerebella.

EDIT: I just realized this is a "who to play" instead of "who do you play" thread. I play Peacock because I like zoners and I like technical characters. Peacock is a good zoner and is one of the most technical characters in the game, if not the most technical. Additionally, Peacock's design is similar to my Vampire Savior main Bulleta.

Last edited:
I started playing a couple weeks ago as Double for my first character, Double is really fun but for reasons unknown I just really wanted to play Filia so learning her now. I think I like the idea of her ADCs and how versatile she is, plus the Samson/Filia dynamic is pretty cool.

To help me decide I played the full tutorial, all the story modes and messed with trials for several of the characters. When doing trials I found for whatever reason I really like Filia's chains.

Reactions: Waifu Collector