• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Who wouldn't make it to 'Skullgirls 2?'

Medici Mob Boss

Don't be a smartass.
Reaction score
Painwheel Parasoul Painwheel
Disclaimers:
  • This thread was inspired by a thread made by @The Dave, the concept of which I thought was worth expanding upon
  • This thread is obviously pretty theoretical, especially because we have no idea what the future holds for the Skullgirls franchise
  • I don't anticipate to much traffic through this thread, but I thought it was a big enough talking point to warrant it's own thread separate from 'Skullgirls Lore and Speculation'
So the idea behind this thread is theorizing which characters are going to be 'killed off for good' in the canon story and will not appear in any Skullgirls related content set after the events of Skullgirls Encore.
Some candidates are:
  1. Dr. Avian- The most likely character to be killed off. His death is one of the events that stays the same in every story mode, and Valentine killing him is a big part of her 'arc,' so to speak. Of course his death isn't mentioned in every story mode, as many characters have little relation to him, but for the most part his death is taken as fact. You can really picture his death being a big event in the Skullgirls universe that drives Peacock, Big Band and the rest of Lab 0's future stories.
  2. Lab 0 Professors- You know, those three guys... same goes for them as Avian. But hey at least Andy and Stanley's deaths have been reconsidered.
  3. Lorenzo Medici- This one is more debatable. The fact of the matter is he's clearly not got too much time to live, and we can be pretty sure he's not going to get his hands on the Life Gem any time soon, so long as Fortune is playable (unless Alex finds some way to 'have his cake and eat it too' during the obvious Minette-based trap Lorenzo has set up...) Besides being really old and sickly, he's also universally hated. Parasoul, Eliza, Peacock and Marie are all out for him. Peacock presumably kills him in her story mode, it doesn't look like Vitale is gonna hand his Gem back to him in Cerebella's story mode, no matter who wins in Eliza's kaiju battle with Marie he's looking pretty screwed. However, he does manage to escape Marie in his airship a couple of times (rendering her rampage pretty pointless), but if he's fleeing the city he's leaving Fortune and his Gem behind- meaning they gotta put him on ice or in a big pickle jar because he's starting to rot already.
  4. Marie- She's the final boss of a fighting game and they don't have a great track record with returning in sequels. I'd have more faith in her surviving if she was playable, which at some point she was going to be so that means she's got a chance. She dies at the end of every story mode, save for Eliza's, which proves that defeating Marie isn't enough to kill her provided that the Skull Heart is still intact and nobody has made a wish on it. Basically if we knew whether or not Marie is alive in the future we'd have some clue as to whether or not their is a new Skullgirl or whether or not the Skull Heart was destroyed.
  5. Squigly/Leviathin- I'm not an idiot, I know that they wouldn't kill off any of the playable characters, not with the time and money it takes to create characters as well as their distinct playstyles. Squigly's inclusion is more about HOW Squigly'd continue to live. She dies in every story mode, including her own, after Marie dies. In the case that Marie survives, so would Squigly. I don't know whether or not she returns from the dead along Marie in Eliza's story mode, but presumably she does. Of course there is also the possibility that somebody (playable or otherwise) would make a wish on the Skull Heart after Marie was defeated and become the new Skullgirl, but I am under the impression that there is normally a seven year gap between Skullgirls and we know there won't be THAT major a time-skip between the events of the first game and any potential sequel.
Those are my candidates.
Do you disagree?
Any theories of your own?
Anyone else in danger?
Do you there are any potentially playable character who didn't make the cut at risk of not making it into the sequel?

Since Marie is needed for the canon story, I think something special happens to her in the true story. I'm not quite convinced she dies yet.

Reactions: Shockdingo
Considering that the game would (theoretically) be called "Skullgirls 2" and all
I get the feeling there'd be a new Skullgirls for the plot of that game to revolve around.
Thus the return of Squigly.
At least I presume so, who really knows when it comes to this series.

Cool thread, thanks for making it!

1. Marie- She's the final boss of a fighting game and they don't have a great track record with returning in sequels.

Um... M. Bison. Akuma. Nightmare from *Soul Calibur*. And doesn't practically everybody in *Mortal Kombat* die and get resurrected every other game? Let's see... <Peruses TvTropes> I presume Pyron was the final boss in *Darkstalkers,* and apparently he returned. Magneto and Dr. Doom have been final bosses before they were playable.

Marie would be an interesting return, though. I haven't heard anything in the lore about an ex Skullgirl.

And Trinity forbid we get a Skullgirl Turbo.

I love the guy but I don't think Big band will come back because I see him taking over the leader role of Lab 8 and retiring from the action.

Alex Ahad's willingness to kill off beloved characters like Avian and Squigly says good things about his writing skills.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
Personally, I'm more inclined to think of Valentine's ending as the closest to canon, where she becomes the Skull Girl in order to Painwheel kill it off for good. They could make a Valentine boss version and keep normal Valentie with some edits to her appearance and boom, everyone's alive and the story can continue! Maybe that's just wishful thinking :/

Personally, I'm more inclined to think of Valentine's ending as the closest to canon, where she becomes the Skull Girl in order to Painwheel kill it off for good. They could make a Valentine boss version and keep normal Valentie with some edits to her appearance and boom, everyone's alive and the story can continue! Maybe that's just wishful thinking :/

I read that as "appearance and bosom." Heh.

Reactions: For No Reason
Um... M. Bison. Akuma. Nightmare from *Soul Calibur*. And doesn't practically everybody in *Mortal Kombat* die and get resurrected every other game? Let's see... <Peruses TvTropes> I presume Pyron was the final boss in *Darkstalkers,* and apparently he returned. Magneto and Dr. Doom have been final bosses before they were playable.
I KNEW this comment was coming! What I meant was, and do forgive me for not making this distinction, that few boss characters return as bosses. I later say I'd have more faith in Marie returning if she was playable, and by that had a proper playable moveset.
We were JUST having a similar conversation about Goro in the Mortal Kombat thread!

Considering that the game would (theoretically) be called "Skullgirls 2" and all
I get the feeling there'd be a new Skullgirls for the plot of that game to revolve around.
Thus the return of Squigly.
At least I presume so, who really knows when it comes to this series.
Well I was always under the impression that the future boss character of Skullgirls 2 was going to be Eliza, based on some things I've heard in the canon lore thread and the lore speculation thread. It sounds like the plot was going to revolve around her, she's always felt more like a boss than a playable character (as a character, she's perfectly balanced in-game) which is one of my main problems with her being playable.
And let's not forget Mike asking people not to vote for Aeon because he hoped she'd be boss one day.

I love the guy but I don't think Big band will come back because I see him taking over the leader role of Lab 8 and retiring from the action.
You think they'd retired a playable character? I can say that happeningvif it was comic book series or something, but I think Big Band would still be playable even when he ran out of story relevance, I mean look at Beowulf. (No offense to Beowulf fans, but it's true.)

Alex Ahad's willingness to kill off beloved characters like Avian and Squigly says good things about his writing skills.
Avian the 'kind and wise mentor character' they're ALWAYS doomed to die.

Last edited:
If Marie does end up returning, I hope she gets a Heartless palette.
:PUN:

It's been said already, but yeah, we can be pretty sure - in the theoretical scenario of Skullgirls 2 ever being made - that none of the currently playable characters will be dropped. You don't simply throw away 1500+ frames of animation and the $200k it took to make those, especially in Lab Zero's financial situation.

That said, doesn't mean those characters can't die story-wise. They could always go the Guilty Gear route where Kliff and Justice were playable in XX and later despite being long dead. Story is story, gameplay is gameplay. Just slap a "chronicles" scenario taking place in the past to justify things and you're set to go.

Last edited:
Yeah what Muro said, just because they're playable doesn't mean they can't die.

Ms. Fortune thinks otherwise.

Life Gem Fortune top tier in SG2

Reactions: RQ and Era
If you guys wanna get really into "killed off characters staying around," there's always the whole 'Aeon and Isaac are time travelers and have access to millions of alternate dimensions' thing, which I have very mixed feelings about.

Since every characters storyline is a "what could happen" then they already got a great setup for Skullgirls 2. The story could stay the same, Marie being the Skullgirls and one of the many characters defeating her to make a wish or destroy the skullheart, but every returning character could have a new storyline leading up to the final battle. The game's story is comprised of "what if" scenarios and making the sequel more what if's would actually work. Other people have made sequels that change up the original storyline for a nice new experience. Super Mario Galaxy 2 and The Binding of Isaac Rebirth are both sequels that still take on the original story but change it up a bit.

With the amount of major updates we've gotten so far I'd say we're already on skullgirls 3, at least when you look at it from a street fighter or arcsys perspective.

But for real though I say it'd be like street fighter 3 and keep like 3 characters (fortune/filia/bella) and replace everyone else with cooler new characters with remixed playstyles of old characters.

Beowulf's ill-advised return to the ring results in him having a massive heart attack during the big match
millions of fans are scarred as their hero dies on live television

Reactions: Kuzlalala
I don't think Marie will die at all. Skullgirls is already full of monster, cyborg and/or undead, so she's easy to keep alive in one way or another, especially since she's the most popular character in Japan.. Furthermore, the Eliza story mode seems to confirm that she can come back more easily than we thought, althought we don't know how.

The one that may disapear if i remember is...the current version of Peacock. At one point they have told that initially character would age during the serie and that was especially true in Peacock state. However if they do that, the current version will probably stay in one way or another, maybe as a secret character or as an alternate summoned by Aeon.

If I could choose anyone who I think wouldn't make it, it would have to be maybe Painwheel as her regular self. Stupid thought, I know, but hear me out, here. In 1 of the 3 stories she's in, she has a chance to become the Skullgirl by Valentine's story. And in the other story, her own, she DOES become the skullgirl. Fillia is more debateable, but seeing as Fillia's next in line for being the Skullgirl, Painwheel might try to kill Fillia just to set her free from the Skullheart's bonds. I know Painwheel has changed back into Carol at the end of the story, but she still has all of her internal weapons and stuff, just no mask. So I think Painwheel may just be upgraded to Skullgirl-Level in the maybe-next game.

Reactions: Medici Mob Boss
Beowulf's ill-advised return to the ring results in him having a massive heart attack during the big match
millions of fans are scarred as their hero dies on live television
Not to mention that Beowulf dies in his poem.

Then again Grendel is still alive so...

If I could choose anyone who I think wouldn't make it, it would have to be maybe Painwheel as her regular self. Stupid thought, I know, but hear me out, here. In 1 of the 3 stories she's in, she has a chance to become the Skullgirl by Valentine's story. And in the other story, her own, she DOES become the skullgirl. Fillia is more debateable, but seeing as Fillia's next in line for being the Skullgirl, Painwheel might try to kill Fillia just to set her free from the Skullheart's bonds. I know Painwheel has changed back into Carol at the end of the story, but she still has all of her internal weapons and stuff, just no mask. So I think Painwheel may just be upgraded to Skullgirl-Level in the maybe-next game.
Eh, I still sway towards it making more sense for Valentine to be the next Skullgirl, maybe. It'd be cool if Painwheel was just renamed Carol and had her mask removed and less...well, grotesque contortions but had all the same attacks.

Reactions: The Dave
That, I could possibly see. They've pretty much already cemented her as a popular character, though, so...well she'd be the first to toss away if necessary.

Juju. somebody had to say it.

I have a feeling that Fukua won't appear anymore.
you shut your mouth.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that if Skullgirls 2 got made, it would just be the canon story, and thus feature the entire cast of Skullgirls Encore. Since people might be tired of Marie as the villain, however, I would love to see her perhaps not be the actual main villain, instead ending up as just a pawn, and perhaps a familiar face is the real villain.

In the Dead Or Alive series, Gen Fu canonically won the DOA tournament prize money to heal his granddaughter and thus had no further reason to fight in the future ones through the next couple of games. They still brought him back.

I wanna be the Glass Half-Full Guy and say the bigger question for the future of Skullgirls isn't "Who isn't going to show up in the next game", but rather "Who else is going to show up in the next game?"

We know Eliza would be one of the bosses of Skullgirls 2, right?

She would've been yeah, unless things have changed, which I'm sure they have.

In the Dead Or Alive series, Gen Fu canonically won the DOA tournament prize money to heal his granddaughter and thus had no further reason to fight in the future ones through the next couple of games. They still brought him back.

I wanna be the Glass Half-Full Guy and say the bigger question for the future of Skullgirls isn't "Who isn't going to show up in the next game", but rather "Who else is going to show up in the next game?"
well, anyone could if that's the case.

technically nothing is set in stone for the "canon" storyline, especially considering the story has it's own multiverses.

only Alex can really say for sure.

Honestly you guys from a story line perspective I think we have already seen glimpses of the story from Skullgirls 2 think of it this way. It was said for a cannon story to exist the only characters we needed were the original cast and Squiggly, Umbrella and Marie (and maybe Black dhaila).

You got to remember the original payment model of Skullgirls was to slowly release characters in a killer instinct fashion. Skullgirls was never meant to have a sequel the idea was just to keep expanding the roster. With this one can assume that the first part of the cannon story only needed the original planned cast to be told. But that's not what happened instead we got Big Band, Beowulf and Eliza whom is the bad guy for the second part of skullgirls.

In the end of Eliza's story we see that Marie is in fact still alive showing and fighting Eliza showing that she's in fact not the real bad guy of Skullgirls.

Honestly the question I thinking about we should be asking is. If Skullgirls was story was meant to be told in three parts what characters were meant to be introduced at what part.

The way I see it Skullgirls's story is separated by the bad guys.

Part 1, Marie
Part 2, Eliza
Part 3, Venus and Aeon.

Funnily enough, as much as I like Eliza, I don't see her as being one of the main story bosses in a future game. She's ambitious, and she's tied into the backstory, but she wasn't mentioned anywhere before her DLC came out.

Ancient? Mysterious? Tied into kicking the main villain's ass and is a sinister, similarly powered rival to the classic protagonist? Has an overpowered "true form" that the player probably won't get to use?

Eliza's not M. Bison. Eliza's Akuma. She's less Sephiroth, and more Ruby Weapon hanging out in the middle of the desert.

At least, that's how I see it.

Reactions: BallotBoxer