• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Who wouldn't make it to 'Skullgirls 2?'

This tread has gotten a little confusing due to lack of clarity on the title Skullgirls 2

If Skullgirls 2 is the continuation of the Skullgirls story pass the addition of characters like Black Dhalia, Umbrella and Marie then I think it's fair to speculate as much a people want.

But if Skullgirls 2 is a continuation of Skullgirls after the entire skullgirls story if finished then I think we are all getting ahead of our self because we have no idea whats going to happen.

I mean I think it's fair to speculate a cannon story based on the characters we already have and the three we are missing. But to contemplate what it going to happen after the entire story is over is just crazy.

Alex Ahad clearly has a beginning middle and end planned out for Skullgirls for us to see that were going to need all the characters! There is a good chance he has not even thought anything about a Skullgirls 2.

Hey all the events of Skullgirls Encore take place in a single day, a lot could happen in 3 months, especially with things popping off they way they have.

That's true,but I like to see my characters grow up and see how they do after a while,let that be 3 months or 3 years.
Sure,3 months would be a bigger gap of change maybe,since It's Skullgirls we're talking about.Then again,I would really like to eventually see the characters when they're older,but It's not like 3 months wouldn't be chill as well.

ALL IS GOOD REALLY WITH SKULLGIRLS.

Reactions: Medici Mob Boss
I will chime in to say that Lab Zero seems smart enough not to axe characters from gameplay due to story considerations, especially when the cast is already relatively small.

I imagine most of the fan favorite characters would make it in. Characters like Annie, Black Dahlia, Umbrella, Isaac, maybe even the Aeon Sisters, seem like total no brainers. The characters who I think are worth discussing are the more "surprise!" type characters to make it in, the kind who are interesting but without quite as much information behind them or (as far we know) importance to the story.

Basically the Shuma Gorath's of Skullgirls.

Reactions: Witchfinder
I personally think Marie will return as one of peacock's goons with brown hair & blue eyes

Madame J is now the one whose name shall not be spoken!

Well, maybe there could be a 7 year timeskip as well
I'm not sure. Technically speaking Umbrella is supposed to be a pixie character. In seven years she will be 17-18 and who knows how tall she would be.

I predict a one year timeskip where the main villain is going to be Eliza (confirmed by Alex through Kai apparently) and where you fight her blood mecha form at the end of her story mode in SG. In the meantime, Marie proved to be useful to Double and is reformed early to go against Eliza.

Jusspeculatin'

Hm... given that Eliza wasn't mentioned for "necessary canon story mode" for SG1, but she would be the villain for SG2, I'm guessing a bigger timeskip and her blood-kaiju wouldn't be involved in canon. Well, we'd probably see it in some form, but not "Right after SG1." So, I guess:

• SG1: Umbrella/Marie/Dahlia have shenanigans that somehow lead to all of them surviving and making it into SG2. Given that any SG1 characters would somehow make it into SG2 because it'd be wasteful to throw out work that's already been done, it seems fair they'd survive somehow. Eliza would be "canonically" barely mentioned if anything. There was every possibility of her not making it into the game, so I guess she's not SG1 important. Umbrella probably wishes to save Marie, and has a slow transition into the new SG. This way they both survive. Dahlia's probably just there for firepower. Wait a second- Since a Skullgirl killed without a wish on the Heart physically reforms, Umbrella can wish for Marie to live on, and Dahlia can blow her up to prevent an immediate rampage! That way Umbrella can have a timeskip while still being pixie-like.
  • SG2: Marie tries to take down Skullgirl Umbrella, returning the favor done for her. Eliza gets sufficiently bothered to rampage and take over, possibly kidnapping Umbrella. (She needs the salt for weaponized blood pressure.) The blood beast likely returns as the final stage, with Boss! Eliza having full access to stage-control shenanigans because we'd fight her on top of, well, her. Hopefully "just grab Sekhmet" still applies.
As for who doesn't make it? Probably Dr. Avian, he seems to die a lot. Lamia/Mother will probably still be hinted at inn the shadows, reserved for SG3. Annie continues to be a cameo, just 'cause. Cerebella would continue her tradition of dying or getting severely beaten up in everybody's story mode but hers.

Reactions: Todpole
I would hope most of the cast returns with new costumes. Particularly a less homeless Filia, a military Parasoul, a saved Carol, a less circus inspired Cerebella, no underboob Ms. Fortune, fashionable Eliza and Beowulf's ending costume.

Of course that would require reanimating them all and if cost saving is the goal, then it is unlikely. But it would make the game feel fresh.

I would hope most of the cast returns with new costumes. Particularly a less homeless Filia, a military Parasoul, a saved Carol, a less circus inspired Cerebella, no underboob Ms. Fortune, fashionable Eliza and Beowulf's ending costume..

Squigly with long hair (I want to believe).

I don't think there would be costume changes. Mainly because it would require Lab zero to redraw every character and as of now that would be too much time and money for lab zero.

Didn't they already say nobody in the original roster would be removed.

I feel that if they had the money they would WANT to put everyone in the roster

Yep, not even leave Fukua behind:

Sure, it would be exciting to see the next Skullgirl after Marie and how the cast has changed, but that would require a time-skip to seven years in the future. Everyone would need to gain new skills (like Filia getting better teamwork with Samson, using tendrils like swords) and age up:

Filia: 16 --> 23
Cerebella: 18 --> 25
Peacock: 13 --> 20
Parasoul: 25 --> 32
Ms. Fortune: 20 --> 27
Umbrella: 10 --> 17
Painwheel: 15 --> 22
Valentine: 27 --> 34
Double: ???
Squigly: 28 --> 35
Big Band: 49 --> 56
Eliza: ???
Beowulf: 37 --> 44
Robo-Fortune: 1 --> 8​

So realistically, Skullgirls 2 would take place during the current "reign" of Skullgirl Marie. No timeskip, no redraws. Everyone the same as Skullgirls. There's still plenty of story. It's like we've only seen the beginning of Marie's transformation.

I'd keep in mind that functionally a fighting game's story is but an excuse for the gameplay to happen. Understandably Lab Zero would not want to drop any character in the transition from SG to SG2 (you don't simply throw away $250k worth of work), but it doesn't necessarily have to imply 100% of the current cast survives until the events of SG2.

I'd look at Guilty Gear XX Reload for reference, which had Kliff and Justice in the playable roster, even thought story-wise the were both long dead by the time of that game's story. Plot-wise it was handled by feature a bonus story mode taking place in the past.

Similarly, even if SG2 took place for example after Marie's defeat with Eliza as the main antagonist, characters who would normally not be around (Marie because killed, Squigly because currently not being reanimated by any Skullgirl, Filia because being thrown in the trash) could still appear in stories in flashback sequences or such.

a fighting game's story is but an excuse for the gameplay to happen.
Any game's story, be it awesome or a joke (BF 4), is just an "excuse" for gameplay.

Any game's story, be it awesome or a joke (BF 4), is just an "excuse" for gameplay.

Heavy Rain's story was just an excuse to walk around a shopping center and press x?

Reactions: The Dave
Disagreed. In one of my all time favourite games, Planescape Torment, I'd say it's the exact opposite: gameplay being but an excuse for the story.
There is a whole spectrum of story/gameplay balance in games, from minimal/no story & 100% gameplay (for example Tetris) to minimal gameplay & 100% story (like kinetic novels).
Fighting games are of course between those two extremes, but surely closer to the all-gameplay than the all-story one.

Last edited:
but their...kinda dead, and weren't on the voting list.