• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Why are anime producers scared to make long running anime ?

I mean. As soon as you realize that the good guy wins 99% of the fights in any anime/cartoon/movie/book/comic book/video game, you start to realize that every "reason" a character wins is because that's how it was writen. It's not Kirito's fault, and the writer's only sin is not hiding it as well as others have.

Yes, in most of these stories the goodguy prevails in the end, the difference is in the struggle the hero has in succeeding. There's an element of "will they/won't they" which builds towards a climax in the conflict. There's none of that in Sword Art Online after the first half of SAO. Afterwards, we're supposed to suspend all belief in gamer logic and just accept that Kirito is just a wizard gamer that faces an obstacle and overcomes it by the power of bullshit lazy writing. That's the series. Once you accept that, it's not as annoying...at least for me anyway.

Look at No Game No Life. That was also a story about gamers with godlike ability to beat anyone they play against. You know Sora and Shiro are going to win in the end but they struggle learning to play a new game before they prevail. When they do, it's explained in a way that is plausible, they read player habits, learned an exploit as they played, they used strategy by tested out other theories before arriving to the correct one. The Yugioh before the Duel Monsters chapters was much the same in that the hero is backed into the corner before they turn things around. In Sword Art Online, Kirito just breaks the game no sweat like he has a Game Genie shoved up his ass all the time and when people ask him to explain there's always a convenient answer. The character has plot armor in the worst possible way.

Two things.

First, the way I see it, he levels like a Disgaea character. Hits a really high level, reincarnates, and brings the stats and skills with him to new games. He’s most likely gotten high level passive skills from SAO. I can imagine him already having a skill allowing him to predict the path of attacks, and since it was a skill that was never designed to be in GGO its OP in comparison to that game’s bullet path system.

Second, your analogy about dabbling in another game doesn’t work. He didn’t dabble in SAO, he lived and breathed it nonstop for over a year (iirc). That’s a big difference from casually playing MVC2 and winning Skullgirls your first day. I personally feel live Life-and-death-play > playing-for-money, but that may just be me.

Yes, there is the transference of skills from one game to another but the problem is him suddenly understanding the metagame in a new game nearly instantly and always better than people that have been playing the game far, far longer than him who are established to not be scrubs in said games. The GGO portion of SAO is a huge offender of this in that it's an eSports MMO and day one, Kirito is above and beyond better than his fellow competitors. He knows how to dodge all the bullets and beat the impossible game even after he gets to a part that nobody knew would happen at the end. He breaks down the aiming & dodging better than everyone. Nobody uses a sword but he can and does better than people that have been competing longer than him who are ranked high. He knows how to avoid radar by coincidence of by swimming using an exploit in the game that nobody else knew about. Like how mary-sue can one character be?

This is like someone in 2009 picking up MvC2 for the first time, goes to Evo uses Servbot/Roll/Dan, uses some technique nobody knows about with that team and winning the whole tournament. Or someone that went to Evo this year, played Skullgirls for the first time, enters with solo Squigly, knows how to PBGC & AbGuard, can Stancel and use all the center stage hitstop tech, etc, figures out some knew stuff nobody knows about and wins the tournament and the explanation is that he has some experience in a game that is somewhat similar to Skullgirls. So as someone that plays fighters competitively, I call bullshit to the whole thing.

How many Anime did that just describe? I’m sure wincest isn’t as common (even though iirc it's socially acceptable for cousins to get married in Japan), but still.

You missed the point I was making on what they did with Asuna that pissed me off. It was a huge downgrade for a character they spent so much time building up and who was still central to the plot. There was already an established relationship between Kirito and Asuna. The addition of Suguha love triangle was shoehorned into the plot and added nothing to it. Her role in supporting Kirito during the ALO chapters could have been done without the love interest. It was put in there like most wincest tropes because it's marketable because Japan has a strange cultural thing regarding interpersonal male-to-female relationships that results in the sexual attraction of one's relatives trope in anime/manga/games but that's for a another discussion.

I mean, all in all, I can understand if someone dislikes it, but I don't see why it gets picked on specifically. It's not the creme da le creme of Anime, sure, but there's a lot worse out there. I see someone say "fuck SAO" every other week. IDGI.

Well, you asked for someone to explain why they don't like Sword Art Online. I happened to come into this thread and read that question and I answered. Unlike a lot of people, I'm able to articulate why I don't like something. I imagine a lot of people don't like it because it's extremely popular. Even if it wasn't popular, I still find faults with the writing.

That said, if you like it, that's great! There are plenty of people out there that enjoy the show just as much as you do. Don't let that get to you though. As a big One Piece & Fairy Tail fan, I read shit all the time about how "bad" they are. Doesn't get to me. As much as I dislike the writing in SAO, I still check it occasionally and able to discuss about the series because it's popular and I like to discuss nerdy shit like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kongk4 and EA575
well, if it's any consolation, the writer of SAO himself is aware of the crappiness of the early parts of the series.

I can't really get into this conversation past this because I stopped watching SaO at the episode Yui's Heart.

Reactions: Shin ATproof
Not saying it isn't bullshit, saying why go "Fuck SAO" when the things it does are a part of Anime in general. Instead of shunning one example and pretending like it's this one example fucking up, why don't you say "fuck anime" and fight that battle instead. Cause there's TONS OF SHIT wrong with Anime that no one wants to really deal with. I don't mind, cause cartoons, but if you are going to get so upset at one cartoon cause of these reasons, I can't imagine why you'd point to any one cartoon specifically when the majority of them do it.
Didn't see this before but I think I think it's a combination of:
1.) Being insanely popular
2.) Having a much bigger animation budget than a lot of other much better anime.
3.) Actually being pretty good for a couple of episodes before going downhill (and then continuing to go down after getting to the base of the hill into the depths of anime hell.) I can get over a shitty anime if it had no potential in the first place, like 99% of ecchi, but SAO season 1 is a big bait and switch and that's a lot worse in my opinion.

I still blame most of the flawed writing and plot armor Kirito has based on the fact that they tried to adapt a series by making a cliff's notes out of it. Season 1 should've focused solely on Aincrad and padded out to make some of the events flow a lot better. (I can buy Kirito being highly skilled because he was a Beta tester but they still could've removed a few abilities he had that made him a bit OP)

Season 2 should've been a padded out Alfheim and that's where they should've gotten into having Kirito learning the metagame better. Although to be honest, I think Oberon was far more broken than Kirito.

God, this thread is turning into another SAO discussion, can we please get back on topic now?

HEY KIDS!

Do you like series like Attack on Titan and Gantz!? YEAH!?

Then read Terraformars! Then watch the anime this fall!

HEY KIDS!

are you referring to the action or the depressing atmosphere.

because they both have pretty nice action. and Gantz has depression in spades.

It's a strip tease; they stop it because that's the furthest they could go without bumping their rating up too high, so they just let you imagine the rest.
Like this? [NSFW... I think?]

please don't be the guy in my government class that thinks the asuna kirito romance is a realistic depiction of a healthy relationship.
Huh...? Confused by government class comment. Also, don't think anyone here was saying that SAO was the paragon of any type of depiction, just that it's odd to put/keep it under fire when everything else does this and has done this for the past... 20 years?

Words
I'm sorry, but I can't read any argumentative posts that I have to scroll down to see entirely. And I'm sure no one wants to see me quoting you fifteen times.
Didn't see this before but I think I think it's a combination of:
Those reasons kinda make sense.

are you referring to the action or the depressing atmosphere.

because they both have pretty nice action. and Gantz has depression in spades.

Both! There's a looming sense of dread mixed with gruesome action.

I'm sorry, but I can't read any argumentative posts that I have to scroll down to see entirely. And I'm sure no one wants to see me quoting you fifteen times.

Wow. That disrespect. Sorry I wasted my time talking to you.
In the future don't ask questions if you're not prepared to hear answers you don't like.

Reactions: Guymelef
HEY KIDS!

I REALLY need to start reading that series :(

Wow. That disrespect. Sorry I wasted my time talking to you.
In the future don't ask questions if you're not prepared to hear answers you don't like.
Wanted to let you know I wasn't responding. If I read it, I would be responding. Unless you do happen to want a long pointless back and forth spanning a full page or two? Your post has been read by other parties anyway, and has two likes at this point. I'm sure you said something worth saying.

It wasn't that it was an answer I didn't like, it was that it was an answer that would probably take an anime episode or two to read and respond to. I instead chose to watch the first two episodes of Madoka Magica.

Speaking of Madoka, does it get better eventually after a few episodes?

Yes.
Not saying anything else to avoid spoilers.

Episode 3 is where the series really starts.

Madoka has some very deliberately boring opening episodes. Stick with it.

Also, someone mentioned earlier how they finally understood why respectable anime companies were doing dodgy cash grab pandering things. Gainax's entire business model is founded around that. They do one totally safe bet series (often based on a manga or novel) one year, then next year they do their own thing, then back to safe.
You'll see this pattern in a lot of anime studios.

A little but for me, it never really got good. just a bit more...meh I'll let you watch it.