• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Why is Flesh step so underrated?

LugerSpamDouble

PhD in Mashing from the University of Big Band
Reaction score
Double Big Band Parasoul
I'm kind of curious why Flesh step seems to be so rarely used everytime I play against another Double player.
I'm not talking against someone like big band or Ms Fortune. But something like Peacock, Parasoul, Fukua.
I mean, doesn't Flesh step make you projectile immune? So shouldn't you use it if you're being barraged by projectiles? Why is it so rarely used against these zoners?

against peacock good luck due to the amount of stuff she puts on the screen

double's should use step on fukua if they are being predictable.

other than that the cooldown makes flesh step not wanted in most cases unless crossups

because it isn't entirely projectile immune, just most of the steppy parts of flesh step. You're likely to get hit out if it if there's more than one projectile coming at you at once, you'll often get hit out of the startup or recovery.

If double didn't have a doublejump, flesh step would be used much more to avoid projectiles.

because it isn't entirely projectile immune, just most of the steppy parts of flesh step. You're likely to get hit out if it if there's more than one projectile coming at you at once, you'll often get hit out of the startup or recovery.

If double didn't have a doublejump, flesh step would be used much more to avoid projectiles.
So I learned a trick by using J.mk as a "Triple" jump.
So it's better off to use J.mk as an extra jump rather than Flesh steps short time projectile immunity?

-Using it for safe side to side shenanigans with an assist n catheads.
-Using it immediately after a ground throw to convert on midweights.

SoID don't giveuhfuck bout no fuhlesh step and most Fukua's know better.

It should stay underused this way haha, its a shame tho ;_;

Reactions: Cadenza
if you're playing against peacock or a parasoul that decides to use item drop or m napalm shot (respectively) you'll get hit though.

That doesn't mean using jmk to stay in the air is a bad tool, just not applicable in every situation because in most of them you can get hit.

11f - Startup
16f - Projectile-Only Invulnerable
_7f - Recovery

Pros:
- Can pass through objects (loses collision box) allowing for some mixup/reset options
- Can bypass projectiles with invincibility

Cons:
- Long startup prevents it from being used as a reversal or reactively at all
- Relatively short invuln period makes it hard to use
- Can't cancel into super at all during the invulnerable part
- Only invulnerable to projectiles, the entire move is recovery for melee hits

It is the most useful for doing crossup resets or mixups.
It is mildly useful in neutral where the projectiles are not staggered and Double has time to pre-emptively use it to get in behind some light predictable zoning or single-projectile pokes.
It is not useful at all defensively.

Reactions: gllt
I mean, doesn't Flesh step make you projectile immune? So shouldn't you use it if you're being barraged by projectiles? Why is it so rarely used against these zoners?

against a hardcore zoner like peacock, imo, you're better off doing car or some other shit.
like worldjem said, it's utilized primarily with crossups.

besides grab converts and assist > flesh step crossup I do't see much use for it. I don't even like using it against peacock because the assist they run can be problematic.

Call long range assist>fleshstep is pretty decent as a non standard way in.

When just outside doubles cr.hp range, fleshstep can crossup, which is a very far range crossup. Combine this with a decent assist like Fukua h drill and you have a ridiculous threat from a range that is pretty easy to get to. And if it doesn't crossup, then double still fleshstepped into being able to pressure.

It becomes super gross at ranges where you would normally want to block doubles j.hp and can be a viable mixup between the 2. And if double is playing keepaway you set yourself up to be crossed up by her.