• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

You can do assistless full conversions off midscreen HP Hurl

pegglefrank

I am 5000lbs of folded diamonds and sex appeal!
Reaction score
Steam
PeggleFrank
Big Band Beowulf Cerebella
I didn't know this was possible until I did it by accident in training.

Something I've done for a long time off of raw HP Hurl is dashjump j.hp, since it's pretty easy to do and it gives you a hard knockdown off HP Hurl. However, what I didn't realize was that there were even more ways to convert off HP Hurl. These conversions can make it a lot more dangerous to fight Beo at midscreen, since you don't actually need gigantic arm to do a conversion. Meterless conversions are a pretty big step up, so hopefully this'll make your mashing game that much stronger mid-screen Beo more threatening.

List of ways to convert (this should be universal I think? tested it on a lot of characters):

• j.mk, s.mk, whatever (probably c.hp; saves grab stance)
  • j.mk, c.mk (I don't know why you'd want to do this, but it gives you early grab stance and doesn't use s.mk for IPS)
  • Sometimes j.lk, usually a light (I'd just recommend j.mk, but this might be useful)
Crazy ass special cases:

• You can do j.lk, j.mp/j.mk, s.hk against Band. Yeah, it works. Yes. It's easy. I'm not kidding. Really. You've finally got some kind of super crazy advantage over Band. Rejoice and celebrate, you saucy Beo solo, you, because I know you're reading this and soaking your pants right now.
  • You have to do j.lk, j.mp/j.mk against Band. This shouldn't really matter, but it might complicate IPS. I'd recommend j.lk because you have a very large window to input it, and then you can just mash j.mp or j.mk afterwards for perfect consistency. This also works as a restand in-between j.mp/j.mk and s.hk, if you choose to start your combo like that.
  • You can do dash hops instead of dash jumps on some characters, but I don't know why you'd want to.
  • You can do j.hp if you want an easy knockdown and don't want to learn any HP Hurl conversion combos. I'd highly recommend doing this every single time you get HP Hurl off if you don't know any applicable combos and want a chance at starting a normal combo in your comfort zone.
-----

These conversions may or may not work when put in the middle of a larger combo, depending on your positioning when you use HP Hurl. All versions of Hurl do pretty lame damage overall, so I can't see why you'd want to do that unless you're doing a crazy funky cmv where you do a hurl and then convert off it, then do it again and convert with an assist, etc. etc. Do whatever you want. I'm just glad I can mash HP Hurl now without feeling like a scrub.

Use the heaviest aerial move you can into the lightest standing/crouching move you can for maximum consistency.

Why not do LK blitzer -> forward blitzer, down blitzer to convert? You can do c.lk/c.lp after the down blitzer, I do c.lk c.mp c.hp c.lp c.mp s.hp neutral jump press. This lets you regain the chair too. Also you should do downback blitzer instead of down blitzer for big band and double because it lets you convert easier.

Why not do LK blitzer -> forward blitzer, down blitzer to convert? You can do c.lk/c.lp after the down blitzer, I do c.lk c.mp c.hp c.lp c.mp s.hp neutral jump press. This lets you regain the chair too. Also you should do downback blitzer instead of down blitzer for big band and double because it lets you convert easier.

The primary reason is efficiency. Blitzer doesn't deal much damage for its hits (not a good combo starter), which isn't healthy for scaling; it uses tons of undizzy, which shortens the combo overall; and it also usually requires that you use a light instead of a medium to convert off it, which wastes moves in IPS and also forces you to use even more inefficient moves at the beginning of the combo. Using dashjump j.mk instead will deal more damage, use less undizzy, and not use as many moves in IPS, allowing for a more flexible and effective followup.

That's solid reasoning. I tend to flub dash jumps after hp hurl a lot so I opt for LK blitzer. I'll try this when I get home and see if the damage makes it worth training. Also pretty sure C4IQ MOP made a video on this on the Beowulf tech thread