• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Zero Punctuation A.K.A Yahtzee.

SHODAN

I like to pretend i'm good at Fighting games
Reaction score
Steam
InfectedCloud
PSN
Assassinking34
Whenever I wanna have a review with cynical and pessimistic traits I loom no futher than Yahtzee. I wanna know what video has had you laughing in tears. Mine was the Injustice review.

I enjoy Yahtzee's videos, especially when he's talking about a genuinely terrible game like Ride to Hell, allowing him to release the full extent of his creative negativity. Or bad horror games, because he's quite persnickety about horror as a genre. It also kind of amuses me when he reviews a game he actually likes, because he never seems to know quite how to handle the situation.

Been a fan ever since I stumbled upon his Sonic Generations review back in 2011, love his stuff.

For best effect, you should use Yahtzee's Reviews and some other reviewer on another website and use the two reviews in conjunction to form an opinion on it.

I tend to pull random reviews off Metacritic if I'm actually thinking of buying a game. Usually watch TotalBiscuit's video if he has one, because he'll typically have 20-30 minutes of gameplay footage. You really can't buy a game based on just one review.

For best effect, you should use Yahtzee's Reviews and some other reviewer on another website and use the two reviews in conjunction to form an opinion on it.
Mark Bussler makes a good contrast, as Mark is extremely positive when he does a review.

Or you could play the game or research it yourself to form your own opinion of it.

Like, if I want an an honest opinion on a fighting game, I'm going to read up on the mechanics and read some thoughts from tournament players, not some mainstream reviewer. Not to say reviews can't be helpful in some cases, but I've had a much better track record just asking friends who have similar tastes in me what their opinion was after playing the game.

I used to be into EGM pretty heavily. And I can honestly say that for every 1 legitimately bad game I steered away from because of their reviews, I missed out on at least 3 genuinely awesome games I would have loved because some idiot decided to give it a 5.

Reactions: drewski
the bayonetta review I can watch on repeat. I end up crying cause i laugh so hard. I tend to enjoy his more if i actually played the game also because he sometimes picks up such small details.

I adore Yahtzee. His hardcore nit-picking abilities combined with his unique brand of unapologetically cynical humor are wonderful. While it is true that his videos are not the same as a "traditional review", I actually find his videos more informative than many of those "traditional reviews", in terms of the information I seek when I want to know about a game.

The few recommendations he has given on the show, even after being flogged for any and every issue, have thus far been titles that I have enjoyed as well.

My favorite is the Sonic Unleashed review. I love when Yahtzee goes past his normal cynicism into genuine anger and vileness, and he does so beautifully in that one.