• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

screen-1.jpg

He's putting the Monkey in Monkey D. Luffy.

Oh c'mon, you were all thinking of One Piece when you saw this attack too, weren't you?
I thought of Lanky actually, he must've taught him well.

Cool to see Diddy back. And of course he still has the banana peel, that's like half of the reason anyone plays him.

wow, street fighter 4 is just street fighter 2.5

it literally adds nothing to the original

it's just done up with better graphics that the ORIGINAL should have had to begin with

Pretty much.
Though I know we'll get some characters snipped, that's inevitable
Well, Sakurai said he really wants no characters to be snipped, so I wouldn't say it's "inevitable" at this point. It's likely, yes, with licensing and time restraints, but I wouldn't say "inevitable".

Pokemon Trainer, Lucas, Ike, and R.O.B are likely.
Wolf, I'm not sure about
Wario and Meta Knight aren't going anywhere.

Yeah, I don't think R.O.B. will be in the next one. He was a novelty character, and linked in with the subspace emissary.
I reckon Pokémon Trainer will return in some form. Perhaps without tiredness or forced switching.
Ike will most likely be replaced with Chrom, since the new fire emblem was such a success.
Wolf... this could really go either way. I hope he makes it in as his playstyle was pretty different to Falco's & Fox's.s

Uhhh... does diddy look like absolute shit to anyone else? The fur textures are stretching weirdly on him, and the part where his forehead and his hat meet looks strange, especially on his forehead.

Yeah, gotta agree with that. His hands look creepy as balls.

daily.jpg

It's like I can feel them on me... (⊙…⊙ )

Didn't they already say the lineup would be smaller than Brawl just because of the 3DS version not having enough memory for them all?

Didn't they already say the lineup would be smaller than Brawl just because of the 3DS version not having enough memory for them all?
no, 3DS has the same amount of memory as brawl

Double post, yes, but does Samus have a Speed Booster attack now?

screen-7.jpg

I don't recall that attack from her, and I know that Diddy attack.

I think that might be a footstool jump.

They never said that.
Ever.
Even if they did say that, Sakurai said "Don't expect too many new comers in SSB 4", and even then, that was a year and a half ago.

But yeah, some characters definitely aren't coming back.
Snake?
Not a snowball's chance in Hell

I think ROB will be back.
Mr. Game&Watch was the exact same thing as him: a quirky novelty character based on Nintendo's past.
And so is Wii Fit Trainer, though not so much past as before.

I bet you he'll be back. I can't see him going, especially with his unique and fun moveset.

So apparently Diddy ate the Gomu-Gomu fruit between games or something?

Double post, yes, but does Samus have a Speed Booster attack now?
I don't recall that attack from her, and I know that Diddy attack.

No, that's her back air. Notice how everyone in the pic is doing back airs. And it's been shown in the E3 Direct as her back air. It's cool though, kinda looks like a booster I guess...

It was recently pointed out that in certain pictures of Diddy, the Punch-Out ring switches back to the original Smash Bros. design:
tumblr_inline_n1dqldGiFn1rjw2mu.jpg

But also mysteriously changes back in this photo:
tumblr_inline_n1dsaaySbS1rjw2mu.jpg

I personally think it's a Spear Pillar or Mushroomy Kingdom thing, with it just randomly picking when a match begins (or can be forced with a button held)

It's just aesthetics though right? It's not like the stage is fundamentally changed because of a different pattern on the ring's floor.

How do people feel about the 3DS version? Excited? Think it'll be crap?
I'm curious as I think it incredibly unlikely I will ever get a WiiU.

I think the 3DS version will be good. It will be sad not being able to have 4-player local versus without 4 copies of the game and 4 3DSs, but the content itself will likely be as good as you would expect from a handheld version.

I'm also getting the 3DS version, as I will not buy a Wii U, so I hope I'm right.

Reactions: Killabyte
Considering they're going to be so different as to be classified as two separate games, I'm hyped for both. I look forward to Smashing portably as well as playing in bootiful HD.

I wonder, what could be used as Streetpass for Smash?

Custom stages?
Records?
Pictures? (That might go horribly)
Videos? (Slightly less horrible, slightly)

I just thought of something. What if the Mii is playable, and the only way to unlock them is fight someone else's Mii by streetpass?

Edit: I just blatantly ignored the Wii U version, oops

Definitely.

Also, partook in a Brawl tournament and promptly lost.

Badly.

Definitely.

Also, partook in a Brawl tournament and promptly lost.

Badly.
It's people like you that allow the top tier to be top tier :D You're fulfilling a role in Smash society!

It's people like you that allow the top tier to be top tier :D You're fulfilling a role in Smash society!
Or, you know, Lag.

EDIT:

20_diddy05.jpg

Diddy's shadow looks like Snake actually. Pretty funny looking.

Well, if Smash 3DS does indeed have that "customization" thing that Sakurai said long ago, I could see it being like Mario Kart 7:

You select your customized fighter as yours, give him a short message and then it's set as your Streetpass. When you Streetpass, it gets added to the menu and you could fight it. If you win, you unlock one of the things it has that you don't.

Again though, since we don't know how customization works, let alone if it's in, so I could be shooting in the dark.

Reactions: Killabyte
on the street fighter 4 3ds had that features where only one person needs to have the game and the other person could temporarily download the game so they can multiplay together.think this game could do something like that
I honestly don't have much to say I'm just trying to contribute to the conversation

on the street fighter 4 3ds had that features where only one person needs to have the game and the other person could temporarily download the game so they can multiplay together.think this game could do something like that
I honestly don't have much to say I'm just trying to contribute to the conversation
When you do download play with Mario Kart 7, I remember that you can only choose Shy Guy, but I can't remember if you could customize your kart or have all the stages.

Maybe Smash Bros. will have something like that. Give them a taste of a few characters (Mario, Link, Kirby, maybe a couple others) to play as, a couple stages to choose from, and leave it at that.

Hey, what if characters were "unlockable" only in certain versions of the game? Like the 3DS idea I had for the Mii would still be in effect, but then you would have to transfer them over to the Wii U version to "unlock"

Would this be considered a scumbag idea on Nintendo's part?

Yes.

But how would you react?

a bit confusing for me

Well, unless they keep who's unlockable the same between U and 3D, They probably would just have more console characters secret on Wii U and more handheld characters secret on 3D, since the versions' respective stage preferences would better allow for character-appropriate secret fights. Like, hypothetically speaking, Ness would be secret on the U version like 64 and Brawl since he came from the SNES, but the 3D version would have him out in the open like Melee, and it would be Lucas that you unlock since he came from the GBA.

I'd cheat the game to get the chars... It worked to get these ios skins on Injustice, it'll work to get characters that could only be on locked connecting your 3ds to a wiiu having smash on both consoles

I have both a WiiU and a 3DS but I probably won't get the handheld version, unless it has some amazing exclusive content. I never really use my 3DS on the go, so I'd rather just play the console version, which I am infinitely hyped for.