• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Report 3/13 Salty - A New Stage Arrives at Station!

Flotilla

Reaction score
Big Band Big Band Big Band
choochoo_banner.jpg

I hope you brought your ticket; this week's Salty! tournament is all about Skullgirls Encore's newest stage!

Always striving to outdo themselves, Lab Zero have created one of Skullgirls' most ambitious stages yet. After ten years of tentative planning, Skullgirls has its very own train stage! Set atop a locomotive speeding through the heart of the Canopy Kingdom, players will get a closer glance at the city of New Meridian than ever before. Despite being a work in progress, this unnamed stage is sure to wow fans who tire of hum-drum non-train stages.

Additionally, those who remember the voice packs promised during the 2013 Indiegogo campaign won't have much longer to wait. The very first voice pack has been implemented ingame, featuring the vocal talents of Mike "Mike Z" Zaimont as the Real Soviet Announcer! Give him a hand for his excellent performance. Is mandatory. Start clapping.

choochoo_banner2.jpg

Of course, this text won't do the stage or the Soviet Announcer justice; check out the full Twitch archive here!

With work on Beowulf and Robo-Fortune speeding along, make sure you don't miss a beat: Catch Salty! live so that you can watch the updates unfold alongside the community! Watch Salty! here every Friday @ 8PM PST.

до свидания!

Thanks for the Youtube upload, @Makross!

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel the same way about the excitement. That train stage and the current song in NMO Arena are just awesome.

TRAIN STAGE :D

I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU

T-train stage?!

I... I'm gonna need a moment to process all this...

How long must Filia be homeless?

Poor Brain Drain's in the back. That's...that's just cruel Fleshlings! Too cruel!

Joking aside, I am loving this thing. I love seeing more of the city and this is a great treat for all of us to see our favorites included in the game somehow!

Considering the development cycle for Skullgirls is slowly coming to a close, this amazing train stage being their final stage addition is awfully symbolic of how far Skullgirls has come.

at least it is to me

I approve really hard. Also it was difficult to recognize some stuff, because it wasn't quite loud enough. BUT if some of those lines are what I think they are, I'm close to ecstatic.

For those who wonder why Mike called Peacock Captain Pronin - it's a titular character from somewhat obscure Russian 90's cartoon. He does not remind of Peacock per se, but it was over-the-top parody of 80-90's American action movies with their unkillable superhuman main characters, so for his connection to American pop-culture he's fitting, I guess.

Here's intro with theme song:

Damn, few more months or a year and a few and Skullgirls Development will be coming to a stop. That's quite saddening, but I'm happy that the train stage from early stages of development finally made its way into the game! Also, Hype train!

I hope there's some obnoxiously loud techno music playing from the hype train as it flies past. I guess it could be any music, but I can already imagine a 90's club remix of In A Moment's Time blaring through the windows.

But wow, I agree that this stage was a great note to end the DLC on. Seeing it in motion is like a dream come true, and it's almost symbolic of the journey this game's been on. Now even if development reaches a stop, at least we can keep riding the train.

The Indiegogo campaign was titled "Keep Skullgirls Growing". While obviously the main focus of the effort was on the characters, I agree the stage selection represents how much Skullgirls indeed grew, and how Lab Zero always does its best to not only give us what was promised, but to always be one step ahead with a big surprise out of nowhere.

From a Skullgirl tossing a snapped skyscraper, through Double's unsettling dimension of Gehenna, to speeding through New Meridian on the ever-hyped train stage. Over and over again, we received not only more than we expected but often more than we realistically dreamed of getting.

What a ride it has been, and still is. Choo choo, you wonderful people.

Last edited:
Quite sad Skullgirls is almost done I wonder what they'll move onto next?

Wasn't female announcer [Cristina Vee] also in the game at some point too in a test build or past beta build? Wonder what the status of that is.

Forgot that Filia was homeless. Kind of sad if she sleeps on top of trains with the other homeless as a regular routine.

Also glad in the end they implemented a train stage despite previous excuse being it was a SG2 intended concept. Guess this is the last hurrah since a sequel or even further expansion looks very unlikely now.
inb4 stage ban because too distracting.

Forgot that Filia was homeless. Kind of sad if she sleeps on top of trains with the other homeless as a regular routine.
You can also see her sleeping in the superstructure of the Medici Tower elevator on the ride up!

You guys are of little faith. I'm pretty sure they are already taking a step further with the implementation of train stage "mechanics" for that SG2 glory!

Anyways, Filia has another stage now, and it's looking super hype! XD Also... AMERRIKAN KARTOON!

Also glad in the end they implemented a train stage despite previous excuse being it was a SG2 intended concept.
So was Eliza, and we see how that turned out.

The only question now is, when the Hype Train comes out will it play some music to go along with the hype?

Quite sad Skullgirls is almost done I wonder what they'll move onto next?
Annie.

It ain't done until Annie.

Damn easteregg in the new hype train stage, this is amazing, love this game, L0 and SG comunnity, im gonna cry....im just love Skullgirls, totally gonna play this game for years.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
I now know what my favorite stage is going to be.

Reactions: Wenzel
What a ride it has been, and still is. Choo choo, you wonderful people.
Muro please, stop trying to make me feel.

The new train stage is amazing! Or should I say, удивительный!

Props to Willy Hwang for going beyond expectations (I can't wait to see if he adds a behind-the-scenes post about on his blog). My hand is on my computer screen. Slap your screen to receive your high five.

Considering the development cycle for Skullgirls is slowly coming to a close
Damn, few more months or a year and a few and Skullgirls Development will be coming to a stop.
Now even if development reaches a stop, at least we can keep riding the train.
Quite sad Skullgirls is almost done
Guess this is the last hurrah since a sequel or even further expansion looks very unlikely now.

Nooooooo, I don't wanna hear about Skullgirls ending!

*jams thumbs in ears and runs away humming Skull Heart Arrhythmia loudly*

I, too, can give a heartfelt paragraph praising Lab Zero
<ahem.>

Holy FUCK, L0, you guys are rockin'! It's like 220% is your MINIMUM effort! First came Squigly and the first major update the game got since MDE, then came Big Band and the most saxual voice on the planet (not to mention Fukua as an extra freebie). Then Eliza showed, giving us a balls-to-the-wall story.

BUT THEN

Beowulf entered! Of the people, for the people, by the people, from the people, his character is fueled with fan participation, from the crowd cheering for him down to his very voice actor (being the missing half of my main team didn't hurt, either)

Now Robo-Fortune is here! She got that Hype Laser, the characters are on that Hype Train, and we gon' play that Hype Game, 'cause you guys are that Hype Team!

Last edited:
looks like one of the best "on a moving train" stages ever. and it isn't even done yet.

and that saying something since it's competing with the likes of many train stages: Vampire's "Iron Horse, Iron Terror", CvS1's Orion Pacific, Psylocke's COTA stage, Terry's MOTW stage, Axl's Xrd stage, etc.

Goddamnit people can't we just say that Skullgirls is the best fighting game to date right now It's not even funny.
No, really, I don't see any fighting games that are on the same caliber as Skullgirls.
Train Stages? Check. Tag Team? check. Everything that MvC2 has? Check. Real Soviet Announcer that does not speak in Russian? Check again.
Check everything, hands down, Best fighting game in history.

Last edited: