• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Alcohol Thread

@Skarmand
White Russians taste pretty good and I've never been able to taste alcohol in Irish coffees. If wines are acceptable, mead, moscato, and dessert wines are all really sweet.

I am a huge fan of Single Malt whiskey, mainly Japanese. Where my favourite now I think will be Nikka whiskey from the barrel and Miyagikyo.

If i am not drinking that, I am mostly drinking various ales and cocktails, wher my favourites have to be black russian and cuba libre!

@Outlaw_Spike
What's a good mix drink with hard liquor that doesn't have the rough taste of alcohol but still gets you intoxicated?
(I know you're a beer guy but..)
I hear something about slushies with lots of sugar?

This of course isn't for me, I'm just writing a book, or a song or something.

Cape Codder (Vodka + Cranberry juice)
Cuba Libre (Rum, Coke, slight lime)

Long-Island Iced Tea is a gamble. Made well, there's a ton of alcohol in it and you can't taste any of it. Made poorly, and it feels like you just got shot in head.

I am a huge fan of Single Malt whiskey, mainly Japanese. Where my favourite now I think will be Nikka whiskey from the barrel and Miyagikyo.

If i am not drinking that, I am mostly drinking various ales and cocktails, wher my favourites have to be black russian and cuba libre!

Japanese Single Malts are actually really, really good. I was very pleasantly surprised by them.

Weiss beers stink, Coors light is top tier commoner beer, and ill drink anything with lemonade.

Cuba Libre (Rum, Coke, slight lime)

People are still mad at me for making those with a bottle of Reserva Limitada (the toppest shelf Bacardi). It's still one of my go to drinks though besides my personal kryptonite, the margarita.

Brass monkey all day

I like these threads. Always something mentioned I never heard of I would like to try. I still have @IsaVulpes list of beers to try from way back Skullheart.

I do enjoy tasting different alcohols but if I'm looking for something for the night, Jamesson and various vodkas. Straight, mixed, shots. Jamesson with iced tea, lemonade, or ginger ale are good. Vodka iced tea is another of my go tos. Liquors are my favorite.

Beers I don't care much for. Guinness is one I do enjoy occasionally though. One of the German beers Vulpes suggested (Krombacher I think?) definitely awakened me to how not like piss a beer can taste. I am interested in tasting new beers though so I would never turn down the chance to grab something I've never had.

Champagne gives me a headache.

Wines are nice, especially if you want something a bit fruity.

Definitely looking for a bottle of Amarula to try and share.

im only 12 so my mommy dosnt let me have alcohol

I'm sure around page 4 or 5 people will stop posting about not drinking.

Reactions: Arcana
also how much does alchohol take a way from the taste, I really love Pina Colladas but I never really tried it with alcohol

I'm a definite beer guy...went to college in the area of asheville north carolina...which was briefly beer city usa for a bit. That was absolutely wild cause like everything is green and home grown and delicious out there so there suddenly was this beer boom. Pisgah brewery's valdez, nitro stout, pumpkin, and bacon are all favorites. Left hand milke stout is another fav followed by sapporo and dos equiz.

Favorite seasonal beer this year was the voodoo donut tie in with rogue brewery. A chocolate and raspberry donut beer with sweetness depth and not too much chocolate (which is my big issue with chocolate based alcohols.) Also the amount of alcohol was nice.

If I want to get absolutely trashed malt liquor and steel reserve are the go to at 1.50ish a pop.

If I'm on liquor mimosas and rum and cokes. Absynth is cool too but you have to make it right.

Reactions: chickenwithtie
Redds Apple Ale is goddamn delicious.
No, it's not. Angry Orchard is so much better. Tomorrow, I'm buying a case of Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy and maybe some 4Loko to help weather the storm of poison ivy I mowed through.

Reactions: DaydreamingSorc
The Autumn ciders should be showing up soon. I love this time of year.

also how much does alchohol take a way from the taste, I really love Pina Colladas but I never really tried it with alcohol

Depends on what type/how much, eg vodka or silver tequila are harsher than hard cider or white wine. Pina colladas should still be fruity and sweet with the rum in them.

Brand. just some good old Brandy. Also FireBall Whisky, mmmmmhhhh fireball whisky so good.
Fireballs.... never again if only you knew me I can't even stand the smell of cinnamon now plus I can identify the smell miles away from me I appreciate your ability to drink em. Anyways I drink reds but down to try anything.

Fireballs.... never again if only you knew me I can't even stand the smell of cinnamon now plus I can identify the smell miles away from me I appreciate your ability to drink em. Anyways I drink reds but down to try anything.
Meh Fireballs for when I want a good kick for the night. Brandy is for the nice relaxing night when nothing is going to happen.

Besides I had the candy "FireBalls" when I was a kid. This just like having an alcoholic version of that. So much fun.

FIREBALL! OMG THAT IS THE BEST THING TO SHOT EVER!
and so is Jaegermeister and Tequila... god I had too much tequila during my 1 year in Japan... I tell you! Those people are crazy about Tequila shots

FIREBALL! OMG THAT IS THE BEST THING TO SHOT EVER!
and so is Jaegermeister and Tequila... god I had too much tequila during my 1 year in Japan... I tell you! Those people are crazy about Tequila shots

True True. Fireballs are fun.

True True. Fireballs are fun.
not only fun... delicious too ;_; It tastes like liquified christmas

not only fun... delicious too ;_; It tastes like liquified christmas
Ah I can't wait until Fall/ Winter Time comes around so I can have an excuse to drink it all the time.

Reactions: Elekzor
Meh Fireballs for when I want a good kick for the night. Brandy is for the nice relaxing night when nothing is going to happen.

Besides I had the candy "FireBalls" when I was a kid. This just like having an alcoholic version of that. So much fun.

I should've clarified, went out with some friends had one too many and the aftermath was devastating. I use to like them but now I can't even look at big red the same

Last edited:
I like drinking scotch (I used to go for Lagavulin and Talisker), but it's frankly too expensive for me lately. Beer isn't something that particularly fascinates me, though I'll have it if everyone else around me is drinking it.

Also, is anyone familiar with shochu? A friend of mine brought some back from a trip to Japan a year or so ago and I loved it, but forgot to get the brand name from him and I'm a little wary of just picking one off of the shelf to try.

Also, is anyone familiar with shochu? A friend of mine brought some back from a trip to Japan a year or so ago and I loved it, but forgot to get the brand name from him and I'm a little wary of just picking one off of the shelf to try.

Yes I am, cant say I really did fancy it since I am more of a Nihonshu (sake) kind of person

I don't know much about the mixed stuff. Any of those boozy shakes or floats will probably get you where you want to go, though. Ice cream + milk + tequila + Kahlua for a Mexican Shake or replace the tequila and Kahlua with Irish whiskey and Bailey's for an Irish Shake. Doubt you'd be able to taste any alcohol with all that going on.

You could also try a modified White Russian called a Pink Rabbit: Strawberry milk + vodka + Kahlua.

Other than that, I'll turn things over to the other solo Val who actually knows about the mixed stuff, @Shin ATproof.

Sweet drinks that mask the taste of alcohol? Most drinks can do that, it just depends on whatever sweet stuff you mix in and in equal parts or more. In terms of recipes, these drinks seem to do the trick:

My favorite is the White Russian and as some have mentioned here. My recipe is: 1.5oz Vodka, 1oz Kahlua, 3oz half & half

Some others...
-Cosmopolitan: 1.5oz Vodka, 0.5oz Triple sec, 0.5oz Lime juice, 3oz Cranberry juice
-Purple Rain: 1oz White Rum, 1oz Peach Schnapps, 1oz Blue Curacao, 1oz Granadine, 3oz Lemonade
-Hawaiian Punch: 0.5oz of each of the following: Raspberry Vodka, Coconut Rum, Melon Liqueur, Amaretto, Triple Sec, Cranberry juice, Pineapple juice and a splash of lemon-lime soda
-Tequila Sunrise: 1.5oz Tequila, 3oz Orange Juice, 1oz Grenadine
-Area 51: 1oz Melon Liqueur, 1oz Coconut Rum, 3oz Pineapple Juice, Splash of half&half

I got lots more floating in my head if there is a particular drink you'd like to mix or drinks for certain occasions, let me know I can probably help with that.

Also...reworking on my fighting game themed drinks. On the list, Skullgirls themed drinks.

Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.
Only drink I care about.

There are more variations of this drink than there are possibilities from the Infinite Improbability Drive...I'd rather make something of Finite Probability to get parties going...hence my mailbox full of alcohol I bring to parties/gatherings.

I think alcohol tastes disgusting. Nothing you add to an alcoholic beverage can make it taste good IMO. It always has that horrible alcohol taste/smell no matter how much Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Sprite, Red Bull, Canada Dry, carbonated water, exotic fruit juices, ice cubes, lemons, salt, whatever you want to add, it always tastes like alcohol and all that stuff that was added would have tasted better by themselves without the alcohol.

This is why I prefer shots. You know a shot will taste terrible, but you can just down it and get it over with. I can't handle beer or wine because those take too long to finish, and I start feeling sick after only a few sips.

The worst-tasting drink I've ever had was a glass of carbonated water mixed with whiskey and ice cubes. The ice cubes made it hard to drink quickly so I was stuck having to savor the taste of cold, fresh, watered-down whiskey.

That being said, I find Jagerbaums and Irish Car Bombs to be quite enjoyable after the first round or two. Jagerbaums almost taste like old-style candy, and Irish Car Bombs taste suspiciously like melted coffee ice cream.

Reactions: CaioLugon
Unless you're a supertaster, you should try Jager with rootbeer then. You can almost add a much jager as you want and so long as you cut it with at least 1/3 of rootbeer, it'll just taste like rootbeer. Unless you also hate the taste of rootbeer.

Also try a Red Devil: 2oz Fireball Whiskey, 1oz Grenadine and 3oz of club soda. The drink tastes like cinnamon chewing gum. Unless you also hate the taste of cinnamon chewing gum too lol

Also the point of a cocktail, at least during prohibition, wasn't so much the mask the flavor of alcohol (although it can be done rather well, I take pride in that myself) but to make alcohol palatable due to the poor quality of liquor in those days. Maybe part of your disappointment is that you're searching for a drink that is filled with alcohol but doesn't taste like alcohol. Try the two drinks above though. Lemme know how it goes.

Blue Ribbon is my guilty pleasure, but fuck you I love it.

Anything green apple flavored is most likely money.

Ciroc is mad good.

Redd's Apple Ale is also money.

OH CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN <3

(Im pretty stupid and inexperienced when it comes to drinking hella different thangs)

Blue Ribbon is my guilty pleasure, but fuck you I love it.

For some reason I think this and like... majority of all american beers taste like water, but my family seems to enjoy Blue Ribbon for some reason so there is that......

Only american beers I have got to enjoy thus far is from Sierra Nevada and now most recently Fat Tire from New Belgium Brewery, which I got reccomended to by an American friend and I got pleasantly surprised.

Oh man! We have those!?

I've been raised in bars practically, and just recently a close friend became the owner of the bar we worked for. You can find me in it like four times a week.

Favorite common beer that we find here is: Heineken. Other stuff I like: Eisenbaum, Edelweiss, Paulaner. Mostly the weiss, IPA ales and strong golden ales. Oh yeah, Murphy and Murphy red, also Chimays.

For some reason I think this and like... majority of all american beers taste like water, but my family seems to enjoy Blue Ribbon for some reason so there is that......

Only american beers I have got to enjoy thus far is from Sierra Nevada and now most recently Fat Tire from New Belgium Brewery, which I got reccomended to by an American friend and I got pleasantly surprised.

The majority of American beers do taste like water, but you're just scraping the tip of good American beer if you've only come across Sierra Nevada and New Belgium.

If you liked Fat Tire, try looking out for Full Sail's Amber Ale; it's basically a better Fat Tire.

Reactions: Mwisk
alcohol is not for "taste" but for "making you drunk".

Reactions: Dime
Dumb but true. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

alcohol is not for "taste" but for "making you drunk".

I would drink beer even if it didn't have alcohol in it; although I might be an extreme example.

However, there is a reason that sessionable beers (lower alcohol content, but still flavorful) are a growing trend in craft beer. Two of the biggest breweries in MD will both have recently added session IPAs to their year-round offerings by the end of 2014.