• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Anime/Manga General Discussion

so Trigun Badlands is good.

wolfwood was a little more angsty. maybe he needed a nap.

the voices sound different but it has Colleen Clickenbeard so everything is okay. because everybody loves Colleen Clickenbeard.

So I just finished Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and I finally understand why it gets so much praise. It does an impressive job of constantly 1-upping itself and going so ridiculously over the top. Pacing is great aside from one part, and all the characters aside from Rossiu during you know when were great. Kamina is now one of my favorite characters in any anime.

The one part I didn't like was the first few episodes after the time skip, when things started to drag a bit. After only 1 or 2 episodes I was just waiting for them to go into space already, and fortunately things went back to being crazy over the top when they finally did. And thank god for Simon belting Rossiu right in the face, he deserved that after being such a dick.

I didnt care for guren's ending cuz it pisses me off. the one thing there just ruins my whole experience.

its a shirley fenette moment for me.

that too. but if people know what the shirley fennete moment is, then they should know which scene I am referring to in Gurren.

its also why I am waiting for KLK to finish so I can see a synopsis for characters so I dont get attached to any characters that have those same moments. once was enough for me

Personally I like it because it's very Gainax, bittersweet with a message behind it, and shows the real difference between Simon and Kamina.

I hope to see Kill la Kill end in a similar fashion.

I hope it doesn't. I'm more of a happy endings guy anyway.

well if it does I know I will be prepared for it.

but avoiding these spoilers is hard. especially on skype groups. jeezus

I didn't mind the fact Nia died, but for some reason, dying in the middle of the wedding just comes off way too forced and pisses me off. its a shame because I liked the rest of GL but I'm so fickle when it comes to endings....

Last edited:
Speaking of which, does anyone have any series with short episodes to recommend? I've seen Hetalia (kind of meh, even though I understood most of the historical references), Plastic Nee-San and Yondemasu yo, Azazel-san!, and am planning to watch Tonari no Seki-Kun sometime soon.
Try Reibai Sensei (flash animation, lol) and Fireball. Never actually seen something really good and short simultaneously (Adventure Time is shortest I can call good enough I think, and is not an anime).

Finally finished monogatari season 2. Last episode remind me of SZS, where every episode or an arc designed to be finished withouth conclusion. So even if an arc actually have it, then SOMETHING HAPPENS to mess everything.

Why I even started to watch Kingdom on-going? Is like Kaiji, every damn arc is so long and stressful, so episodes leaves you with feeling like it not going to end at all.

so, been watching initial D and have been on the 2nd stage for a while now, but I hope to finish it tonight.

gotta love that music

Stuff

I loved Nia too, but only because of her part in the first half of the show. She barely got any valuable screen time in the second half, so I guess her death wasn't as big of a blow due to that? I just wish rather than her being the "messenger" she was the "key" to the human's destruction or something that would allow us to see more of her after the timeskip and see any changes that might've occured in the 7 years. All we know about her in those 7 years is that she became Simon's girlfriend. I really missed her interactions with Simon in the second half. :/

I need more fingers then what my two hands possess to count how many times I seen a Barrack Obama parody character randomly appear in the manga/anime I been reading/watching lately.

I need more fingers then what my two hands possess to count how many times I seen a Barrack Obama parody character randomly appear in the manga/anime I been reading/watching lately.

There will only be a black president for 8 years. Japan needs to exploit the shit out of it while they still can.

I know, right? And it can be any level of seriousness in manga.
The Ultimate Gambler
fijf.jpg

I loved Nia too, but only because of her part in the first half of the show. She barely got any valuable screen time in the second half, so I guess her death wasn't as big of a blow due to that? I just wish rather than her being the "messenger" she was the "key" to the human's destruction or something that would allow us to see more of her after the timeskip and see any changes that might've occured in the 7 years. All we know about her in those 7 years is that she became Simon's girlfriend. I really missed her interactions with Simon in the second half. :/
I just kinda wished her death was right there after they won, I felt it would have been so much better and the actual ending felt contrived like "oh, she didn't fade away until her wedding. isn't that sad" and it feels like its just trying to MAKE me feel sad rather than giving me something legitimately sad to respond to. its weird but thats the best I way I can describe it.

Remembered another good short (9min per ep) series: Mahou Shoujo Tai Alice. Well, it's Mahou Shoujo genre, hehe.

With Blazblue over and leaving many fond memories of hilarious animation, I need to figure out a new show to watch.

What's been good so far? (Ok most new shows are currently at only 2 episodes.)

An Anime/MAnga I've been thinking of resuming/getting into is Shiki.
That ole' Higurashi + Vampire scene.
I've been Roleplaying with some characters from it on Tumblr and holy shit is it interesting.

An Anime/MAnga I've been thinking of resuming/getting into is Shiki.
That's the vampires in the countryside show right? I watched it and I can only think its kinda like one of those things where characters do terrible things and no one calls them out on it.

you wanna know whats short? Eden of the East.
you wanna know a really good anime? Eden of the East.
you wanna know an anime series and two movies that have a great funi dub and are all on netflix?
Eden of the East
so watch Trigun.

just kidding. watch Eden of the East and the 2 movies that follow it. all on Netflix.
you can watch trigun too I guess. not a bad choice either.

That's the vampires in the countryside show right? I watched it and I can only think its kinda like one of those things where characters do terrible things and no one calls them out on it.
Yeah that's the one.
I read like 10 chapters of the manga and I stopped because it was on fucking Mangafox of all things.
Now I think I should resume.

I always hate reading manga online. it feels like such a hassle and I'd rather support the official translation/release anyway.

Reactions: +5 Necromancer
Bookstores are extinct over here...apparently theres only 1 comics specialty shop IN THE WHOLE STATE. But yeah Shiki is good, I think I brought it up before.
And yeah. I am gonna watch Trigun again...in ENGLISH because fuck the japanese dub. The fuck is a "Basshu"...?

doesnt mean you cant get manga online.

that is so weird because theres so many bookstores near where I live.

Bookstores are extinct over here...apparently theres only 1 comics specialty shop IN THE WHOLE STATE. But yeah Shiki is good, I think I brought it up before.
And yeah. I am gonna watch Trigun again...in ENGLISH because fuck the japanese dub. The fuck is a "Basshu"...?
I think you should try that Eden of the East thing. I heard its good.

totally not because I watched it and loved the entire series. nope. totally not that.

Anyone know where to get some bootleg copies of these figures?

What do people think of "Golden Time"? I came across it randomly in Crunchyroll and decided to give it a try. I have finished watching 7 episodes so far and I'm really enjoying it. It has some cheesy scenes, but I love the animation, the characters (Koko acts like a very rude stalker, but actually acknowledges that she's messed up, regrets her behavior and tries to make up for it. I'm interested in how her character development goes.) and I'm kinda glad they chose a college setting instead of making yet another high school anime. This show, Kill La Kill, Space Dandy and Strange+ are the currently airing shows that I'm watching right now and also patiently waiting for Stardust Crusaders this Spring. I don't know if I'll continue watching Strange+ or drop it. I might also check out Samurai Flamenco and see if it's good.

I watch some anime from time to time. Here are some of my favorite one that stuck out to me the most:

Clannad and Clannad After Story (my most favorite of all anime!)
Lucky Star
bakemonogatari
Kimi ni Todoke (this is such a cute story)
the melancholy of haruhi suzumiya
Minami Ke (season 1)

I'm currently watching Gurren Lagann. I just realize Its mostly the anime from Kyoto animation that I like watching haha

I was checking my local cable offerings and noticed funimation put up the first few episodes of Index

i don't know much about the series beyond being the adventures of dispel-man & tiny nun.

and has that girl who's in that new sega fighting game. how do magnets work? so mysterious.

also it has like 5 seasons or something.

Oh boy, A Certain Magical Index.
I've been meaning to get into that and the series at large.
It looks pretty awesome and unique.
Though I'm kinda discouraged by simply how much there is.

There's A Certain Magical Index, the first one.
A Certain Scientific Railgun, which is apparently the more popular Spin-off
And now there's another one coming called A Certani Scientific Accelerator who's basically the Vegeta of the series.
That's two animes with two seasons, and probably a shit ton of manga.

Its about a guy who punches women in the face.
Mostly like this (I mean, looks like is most noticable part).

In this series I strongly don't like all magic part of universe, and enjoy all sci-fi part. This is why I like Railgun more then Index. Also in Railgun there is no harem (unlike Index, where protagonist is ordinary schoolboy with appropriate plot), but more of "cakes with tea" stuff, because most of characters are girls.

Also Accelerator is only memorable male character of Index universe (excluding protagonist of Index), so it's why they're want to make separate story about him. However, in accordance with Index, Accellerator will be associated with magic, so I haven't high hopes about it.

Last edited:
Its about a guy who punches women in the face.
after watching a few more episodes, he seems like an equal opportunity face puncher

Anyone then me who watch Noragami?
Soo far, it has been great :)

A Certain Scientific Railgun, which is apparently the more popular Spin-off
I can guess why its more popular after watching quite a bit more of both shows. Misaka's powers work much more interestingly in animation than Touma's, who's pretty much just Mr. rush down and punch things while giving speeches.

I bet that's why she got in that dengeki fighting game too. Touma probably would've just ended up playing like SF Balrog (boxer) + some debuff to prevent special moves.

Reactions: jam1220 and Jutsei
The way he worded that was a little harsh(but translations, whatever) But I agree with him to an extent. I wouldn't say it's a problem, but it is a little too common and actually pretty noticeable now that he's pointed it out...

Not sure if I got, what he meant about "watching people". By my opinion, current mainstream just full of this autistic "slice of life" school series, where you watching a common people do common or cute things and solve common kid/teenager problems. Is it really what ANIMATION, with all it's advantages over movie, made for? Also, and what actually he think was broken by Otaku.

-edit-
Oh, looks like I got it. It means modern anime made by people, who love "anime" more then "real" world. And even more, he think is socially healthy people should make anime. I don't know, best things always made by geeks.

Last edited:
I believe his point is that the people who are creating the content don't have the interpersonal experience to create characters and situations that are meaningful to the viewers in anything more than a short-term, "fast food" kind of way.

EDIT: Deleted the wall of text and just kept the tl;dr.

Reactions: BZ Choy
I believe his point is that the people who are creating the content don't have the interpersonal experience to create characters and situations that are meaningful to the viewers in anything more than a short-term, "fast food" kind of way.
Ah, from this point. Well, if modern industry so flooded by social anime, and it made by people, who actually bad in "social" part, then it's really in bad shape.