• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Anime/Manga General Discussion

eh the worst baoh has is some face melting iirc
oh and a dog explodes but it's an evil dog (not a very nice one at the least)

bbywecanbesqeemishtogether

Same.

There's worse out there. The nuclear explosion scenes from Barefoot Gen made my skin crawl the first time I saw them.
As for horrific transformations, the gigantic fetus from Akira takes the cake, what with the mess of wires and tissue melding together and spreading like some insane infection.

I... I... I... nofuckthisI'mouttahere

So today I finally started watching the legendary Gurren Lagan. This show is actually pretty damn entertaining. I like the characters, the battles are great and the world this all takes place in is interesting.

I can honestly say i'm going to like this anime. Kamina is my favorite character.

kamina is everyone's favorite character
it won't last though

I like Gurren Lagann but there is the one thing I've mentioned before about the ending I don't like but everything else is still good aside from that ONE THING in the end.

So today I finally started watching the legendary Gurren Lagan. This show is actually pretty damn entertaining. I like the characters, the battles are great and the world this all takes place in is interesting.
YEEEAAAH THE WHOLE WORLD NEEDS TO WATCH GURREN LAGANN.

I'm not even exaggerating when I say this, Gurren Lagann has changed my fucking life. The show even made me physically stronger. I was in the middle of a wrestling match a few weeks back and I was losing pretty badly, then all of a sudden I felt a surge of power and I was like "WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK I AM!?", and I managed to win!
Oh man Brand you're in for a wild ride, you'll laugh and you'll cry.

@Sanoblaze does that one thing have to do with her? I think the whole show is perfect, but it's understandable why you wouldn't like that part of the ending.

Reactions: CapnWTF
@Sanoblaze does that one thing have to do with her? I think the whole show is perfect, but it's understandable why you wouldn't like that part of the ending.
I will explain why I dont like that on thing with her because its not what most people think the reason is also spoiling it because its a spoiler

Nia deserved to die in battle. she totally is sacrificing her very right to exist and not only her happiness but Simon's happiness as well. Nia not dying until the wedding makes her an aftermath of the final battle and that just really irks me so much and it is the one thing keeping me from watching it again. I don't mind her dying, and I don't mind Simon accepting it, its just that Nia deserved to go out in a blaze of glory, not in a way that adds a message about marriage.

but aside from this everything else is good though.

Last edited:
I will explain why I dont like that on thing with her because its not what most people think the reason is also spoiling it because its a spoiler.
The thing is that Nia isn't a warrior, she's what the warriors fought for. Nia's role in the show was to serve as a symbol, she was meant to be the personification of what everyone was fighting for.
Love, hope, freedom, life, these are all things that are brought to mind whenever Nia is on screen. "Nia" is what drove the whole plot of Gurren Lagann. It wouldn't make any sense for the thing that everyone fought for to disappear before the final battle was finished.
It was perfectly fitting for her to fade away only after the war was won. From a symbolic perspective Nia was a goal, and once that goal was achieved she couldn't stick around.

The thing is that Nia isn't a warrior, she's what the warriors fought for. Nia's role in the show was to serve as a symbol, she was meant to be the personification of what everyone was fighting for.
Love, hope, freedom, life, these are all things that are brought to mind whenever Nia is on screen. "Nia" is what drove the whole plot of Gurren Lagann. It wouldn't make any sense for the thing that everyone fought for to disappear before the final battle was finished.
It was perfectly fitting for her to fade away once the war was won. From a symbolic perspective Nia was a goal, and once that goal was achieved she couldn't stick around.
no I meant like after the final blow was struck THEN she dies. I get what she was meant for but I really felt she deserved to go out like right then and there when they won. I get what she stands for but I still would've preferred she died after the smoke cleared, not after they planned and set up the wedding and all that. it just feels like a hindsight of the cost of the battle and not a meaning to me.

like how blue beetle died in the comics and how he died in the brave and the bold cartoon. similar to that if it makes sense.

again, I don't hate GL for it, it just kinda is like an aftertaste that makes me wary of taking a sip again.

Last edited:
no I meant like after the final blow was struck THEN she dies. I get what she was meant for but I really felt she deserved to go out like right then and there when they won. I get what she stands for but I still would've preferred she died after the smoke cleared, not after they planned and set up the wedding and all that. it just feels like a hindsight of the cost of the battle and not a meaning to me.

again, I don't hate GL for it, it just kinda is like an aftertaste that makes me wary of taking a sip again.
I get what you're saying, but there would be a big problem with Nia dying right after the end of the final battle.
It wouldn't have been a happy ending.

If Nia didn't fade away peacefully at the end of a beautiful wedding then the final battle would have felt more like a loss than a victory. Kamina, Kittan, and the other martyrs of Team Dai Gurren didn't sacrifice their lives so that Simon and Nia could be tragically torn apart in a single moment. They died so that they could live together happily, even if it was for a short ten days. The way Nia died was probably the happiest way she could have gone, that was the point.

I get what you're saying, but there would be a big problem with Nia dying right after the end of the final battle.
It wouldn't have been a happy ending.

If Nia didn't fade away peacefully at the end of a beautiful wedding then the final battle would have felt more like a loss than a victory. Kamina, Kittan, and the other martyrs of Team Dai Gurren didn't sacrifice their lives so that Simon and Nia could be tragically torn apart in a single moment. They died so that they could live together happily, even if it was for a short ten days. The way Nia died was probably the happiest way she could have gone, that was the point.
eh, it still irks me. I get why but.... EEEEEEEEEEEEEEH! I dont know why. I still don't like it. I guess I love Nia too much.
if you think I'm going "MAN! GURREN IS SHIT!" no. I like Gurren, but theres still that thing that makes me wary of going back.

yeah
that happens
to about everyone who watches

can I call Kamen Rider Gaim an anime?

I mean its made by the guy who made Madoka....

ITS GOOD I SWEAR! ;A;

Can I call Kamen Rider Gaim an anime?

I mean its made by the guy who made Madoka....
That doesn't really make me want to watch it...

No I don't think you can call it that since it's not animated.

;A; but no one comes to the Kamen Rider thread.

and its not exactly like madoka.... more like it has... things, that the writer often known to do. everything else is really fun and has really good characters and plot. its pretty much the next Kamen Rider W...

AND Kamen Rider has had an anime and an anime appearance!

elitejusticekamenriders.jpg

crayon-shin-chan-and-kamen-rider-den-o-vs-shin-o-cover.jpg

see? ;u;

and who can forget this famous image?
kamenrider.gif

Last edited:
if you think I'm going "MAN! GURREN IS SHIT!" no. I like Gurren, but theres still that thing that makes me wary of going back.
To me, Gurren was always about "You can accomplish ANYTHING if believe hard enough!"

And then the end happens and tacks on ". . . except for that."

Reactions: SanoBaron
On the real though.

Gurren Laggan does make you physically stronger.

I can attest to that story.

I have been in wrestling matches and won out of pure "who the fuck do you think I am"ness.

Gurren Laggan was more about "YOU CAN DO ANYTHING, but you should also know that your unfettered strength only works if you're a psychopath."

You can't brush everything off and keep trucking if there are people on your back depending on you.

To me, Gurren was always about "You can accomplish ANYTHING if believe hard enough!"

And then the end happens and tacks on ". . . except for that."
It's more like forging your own destiny despite the hand that fate deals you.

You can't control everything, but you have to keep moving forward regardless of what happens.

you can't bring back the dead
it's all about moving forward
continuing to drill forward, through stone, metal, the heavens themselves
but a drill can never drill backwards. They can only move in one direction
it's all about moving forward.

Reactions: Denizen
we'll move forward but we don't have to like it.

though, I can see why I don't like GL's ending mainly because it's bittersweet.

sorry to say it but I prefer happy endings all around like YuYu Hakusho and FMA: Brotherhood and things like that.

sorry, I guess I just had to sleep on it.

I have been in wrestling matches and won out of pure "who the fuck do you think I am"ness.
Woah woah woah hold up, you're a wrestler too!?

Woah woah woah hold up, you're a wrestler too!?
I wrestled in high school, I play Rugby now.

Reactions: Denizen
I wrestled in high school, I play Rugby now.
So there's Me, Dinglejet, and iLoli (Surprisingly) who are on the list of forum wrestlers, and we're automatically the toughest guys here because of it.

=w= cuz what's more tough than rolling around and pinning sweaty men to win? Kappa

but seriously though, I also recently got into ippo and I am really liking it. Although I haven't watched an episode in a few weeks.

=w= cuz what's more tough than rolling around and pinning sweaty men to win? Kappa
Don't even joke about that man, we hear enough of that shit and we're tired of beating people up over it.

I want to watch Hajime no Ippo but there's a lot of episodes and I'm not sure if I want to commit to it.
I also want to watch Ashita no Joe but I'm having the same problem with that as well.

Zen, I was just joking. And it doesn't make you look any better when you say you beat people up for not speaking kindly about it. >.< it really doesn't. I was only joking though so please relax.

and Zen, you should just go for it. Knowing you, it definitely would be up your alley.

Zen, I was just joking. And it doesn't make you look any better when you say you beat people up for not speaking kindly about it. >.< it really doesn't. I am only joking though so please relax.
Sorry I'm just puffing my chest, I don't actually beat people up over that.
I'm a man after all, we do show off sometimes.
Free with a Frog.jpg

Zen, you should just go for it. Knowing you, it definitely would be up your alley.
Oh man is my taste in anime really that predictable?

you literally have a boxer in your title
I think you mean my status, hang on... Oh shit you're right, that's an unfortunate coincidence.

I'm going to change it now...

also Zen, I wan't making fun of wrestling so much as I was poking fun at this

So there's Me, Dinglejet, and iLoli (Surprisingly) who are on the list of forum wrestlers, and we're automatically the toughest guys here because of it.

;D just one "ask me anything" from walking into it.