• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Project Annie...In Motion!

It's really none of my business, but if we are to have references...

Chapter_169.jpg

Berserker_Armour_Weilding_a_Sword.jpg

IMHO, her stance ought to be rigid, with knees bent. I imagine her sword also doubles as a impromptu shield so she would hold it in a manner that allows to her to quickly shield herself behind the blade's flat side.
Alternatively, sword resting on shoulder.
In either case, I think a idle without much movement suits her the best.

Nonetheless, kudos to Skullmageddon for a fine work. Even if it doesn't match the idea many had of the character it's still quite well done.

Last edited:
You guys are making her idle too cute, it's like you guys don't even get the point of her character. She's supposed to fight like a seasoned and burly fighter (which is to contrast her cute appearance), not one who can barely lift her weapon. It should be something more like Genjuro or Hanzo, at least in tone.
View attachment 1356 View attachment 1357

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to come across like a dick, it's not bad it's just a bit out of character.

No, you're right dude. I actually didn't know a lot about Annie when doing the animation. I just kinda looked up some images and a little info, then started animating.

But after hearing some feedback from you guys her character makes a lot more sense now, and if I were to do this a second time I would definitely do a different idle animation altogether.

Just take the money from Robo Fortune and put it towards Annie, nobody likes her anyway #Kappa

I feel that Annie would be kind like Sol Badguy in terms of attitude, maybe a little more upbeat, but dead serious:

Pretty much my thoughts. When I picture Annie, I always like to put her in Sol's neutral stance, or at least something similar. (Annie doesn't wield her sword backwards like Sol does, for instance.)

Reactions: Uzumakihero
That's a really great animation, even if it is out-of-character! Well, we could just pass it off as a cutesy idle stance she puts on for the sake of TV acting or something.

Actually, do we know how different her TV persona is from the real Annie? You'd think she'd put on a more childlike facade in front of the camera, though it'd be kind of hilarious/awesome if she was a hardass on her TV show too.

Reactions: DDB
Actually, do we know how different her TV persona is from the real Annie? You'd think she'd put on a more childlike facade in front of the camera, though it'd be kind of hilarious/awesome if she was a hardass on her TV show too.
Kinda like this guy?
19507-21221.jpg

(From Who Framed Roger Rabbit)

Wow, that looks wonderful! I agree with everyone else, her stance should be more fighter-y

Here's a stance I made a while back that you could take reference to
tumblr_my6tkvUgWh1rwxvn2o2_400.png

Kinda like this guy?
19507-21221.jpg

(From Who Framed Roger Rabbit)

Baby Herman? Yeah, I think that's pretty good example of what I mean. Cutesy on the set, no-nonsense badass off the set.

Also what I mean: If she doesn't really put on a cutesy face at all it'd also be kind of amazing, especially if she smoked too. Watch that be where Peacock got her inspiration from, haha.

Wow, that looks wonderful! I agree with everyone else, her stance should be more fighter-y

Here's a stance I made a while back that you could take reference to
tumblr_my6tkvUgWh1rwxvn2o2_400.png
Sword penis again...?

Sword penis again...?
Whatever style they go with in the end, I'd just like them to make her ACTUALLY skilled and hardened, and not anime skilled and hardened. Attention to detail. I wanna SEE the years of experience.

JFUhj1z.png

Good work, but be careful when working with Annie. Skullgirls fans are very much willing to pay to have her animated; do too much, and next thing you know there's an Annie kickstarter with people expecting you to do full animations.

As for Annie's idle herself, I see her holding Sagan in her right hand and her sword in her left, close to her chest with very little movement during the idle. Definitely no swaying back and forth like in yours. Her idle face would probably be completely stoic, staring straight at her opponent with no distractions.

Whatever style they go with in the end, I'd just like them to make her ACTUALLY skilled and hardened, and not anime skilled and hardened. Attention to detail. I wanna SEE the years of experience.
You want Annie's sword penis skilled and hardened...?

BTW, @op, this is about as much fan-opinion as we normally get for stuff.
You can ignore all of it that didn't come from me. It's what I do! (^.^)

Well what do you expect Mr. Z, Annie is a hot topic around these parts. lol

I say an "unnorthodox" stance would be best.

a wide blade like that WILL be used for blocking, so it'd be more intresting if she held it reverse to absord the impact with the forearm insted of the wrist.

the rest of the body should look in a solid stance rather than giggly or insecure. so... again, the best example (and Alex's inspiration) Sol badguy. and people will kill me for using him, but Ragna from blazblue serves a decent example too.

Gifs with his stance and some attacks in spoilers

YWvyc28.gif

NfzcB2Q.gif

The idle stance is at the same time "steady" and he looks like an undiscipline and

Sagan could be in her off-hand, with her throwing him up when doing a hard attack (that'd need both hands) and picking it back while it's falling after she's done with the slash

Annie Idle.jpg

So, Do you approve DDB-Sama?

What about you Mike Z-Dono?

Any ways, I figured I'd go with a confident yet uninterested look that somehow still shows Annie analyzing her opponent.

Resting her sword between her shoulder and wrist, Annie awaits her opponent's move

side-note: I guess I should've had Sagan face the same direction

Damn dude, that was actually pretty fast. And yeah, that seems a lot better.

Though obviously her eyes would be open in a standing idle lol

View attachment 1361

Hmmmmmmm maybe more like this? Perhaps with Sagan in her other arm or tied to her waste? Or perhaps more of a fighting stance would be more appropriate?

Edit: Forgot the star on her chest. Fixed it.

"Wow, I didn't realize you sucked this badly."

Add sagan in held by the ears in her free hand (without changing the position of her hand if possible) and it'd be perfect.

"Wow, I didn't realize you sucked this badly."

Add sagan in held by the ears in her free hand (without changing the position of her hand if possible) and it'd be perfect.

Yeah, i was gonna try that next.

Damn dude, that was actually pretty fast. And yeah, that seems a lot better.

Though obviously her eyes would be open in a standing idle lol

Yeah, i was thinking she might take a longer blink during her idle due to her confidence as a fighter. She would have her eyes open except for some frames somewhere in the middle where she would take the longer blink. Or maybe not, this is all conjecture at this point.

I'm sure Parasoul would be a good reference for Annies stance too, she's got a pretty focused pose and face most of the time especially during her idle, in addition to long deep breaths to maintain concentration (probably).
It would probably be the same deal with Annie, but maybe a little less tense if that's her style (I don't know much about her Personality, sorry DDB)

Oh, and I almost forgot, Fantastic work, looks just like an in game sprite!

Parasoul:
tumblr_m9kyhzQ06W1rufo95o1_500.png

I think you guys are going a bit far with the disdain. She's disdainful because she a veteran of combat, not because she's a stuck up bitch. Some of these stances make her look like she's got an attitude problem. If you go the master swordsman route, she'd regard her opponent as just another obstacle to be cut down. It wouldn't be so malicious or bitchy.

She stares forward, focused, stance solid and ready to strike.

"You're digging your own grave, kid."

Once I sober up (sometime late tomorrow...) I'll probably take another quick shot at making an alternative idle animation. Maybe.

Reactions: Kai and DDB
Wow I missed a lot today haven't I?
@Skullmageddon seems to have rocked the forums in the few hours that I was away. The fact that he created such a fantastic looking idle animation of Annie deserves all the praise we can give him, but I'm sad to see 3 pages filled with nothing but criticism for her stance. I think Skull get's the idea that Annie should have a stronger stance, something more similar to Sol Badguy. How about we be patient and let the guy work, all right?

I've done nothing but praise. All praise be to the Annie God.

Reactions: Soitenly
Hey, just seeing someone do stuff like this just makes me happy. Regardless if the pose is "wrong" or "out of character", I really like that he spent time making these. I'm surprised he hasn't interned at Lab Zero.

Wow I missed a lot today haven't I?
@Skullmageddon seems to have rocked the forums in the few hours that I was away. The fact that he created such a fantastic looking idle animation of Annie deserves all the praise we can give him, but I'm sad to see 3 pages filled with nothing but criticism for her stance. I think Skull get's the idea that Annie should have a stronger stance, something more similar to Sol Badguy. How about we be patient and let the guy work, all right?

Thanks Denizen :)

I don't mind the criticism though. It's all just a part of the trade; If anything it helps me out a lot. Now I know more about Annie's character traits and can create even better animations. It's nice to hear everyone's opinions on the matter even if they greatly differ from my own.

At any rate, it won't be too long before you see a little more from me heh

I think you guys are going a bit far with the disdain. She's disdainful because she a veteran of combat, not because she's a stuck up bitch. Some of these stances make her look like she's got an attitude problem. If you go the master swordsman route, she'd regard her opponent as just another obstacle to be cut down. It wouldn't be so malicious or bitchy.

She stares forward, focused, stance solid and ready to strike.

"You're digging your own grave, kid."

that's why i say ragna's sprites could give a decent base... it's confident without being too bratty.

First things first: Great work!

Annie uses a saber and what other totally no nonsense female fighter uses a saber?
Michelle Yeoh in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
michelle-yeoh.jpg

1581650.jpg

Reactions: Sergeoff
View attachment 1361

Hmmmmmmm maybe more like this? Perhaps with Sagan in her other arm or tied to her waste? Or perhaps more of a fighting stance would be more appropriate?

Edit: Forgot the star on her chest. Fixed it.
AnnieAlternativeIdleOpt-Shade.jpg

Alright, I Greyed it up now lets slap a color map on it and ship it out to be Paletteized. Honestly I'll try coloring it later..right now I got work in like 2hrs I spent 2hrs on this and maybe should go back to sleep or sumthin.

We need to finish Annie as quickly as possible so we can get started on Paprika...er.. uh I mean Umbrella...yes...Umbrella