• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Project Annie...In Motion!

Back in the HAPPENING phase?
Back in the HAPPENING phase.

We're always in the Happenin' phase brah. It just turns out that the happenin' phase takes a long time and requires a lot of effort @_@

I've decided I won't bother posting until my most recent attempt is completely done this time, so hopefully it won't take me too much longer.

Gosh, if this is really happening, then I am really excited about what'll happen in the future when you guys finish up Annie. Wish I could help, but I know next to nothing about animation, so I'll just offer my support to you all and wish you the best of luck!!

Alternatively, I could help come up with new concepts for attacks and some lore for her story mode, but I don't think you guys are interested in that right now, lol.

I'm freaking out man, I need to get my fix. When's Annie frames?

I'm freaking out man, I need to get my fix. When's Annie frames?
orphan-annie%255B1%255D.gif

Replace sun with "next frame"

Well here's another shot at establishing a proper idle stance. The idle is on the left side, while the right side illustrates some possibilities for how her run, s.lp, and s.mp might look. I just put those there to illustrate how she could transition into various things from her idle stance. I was going to sketch out a sequence for her s.hp as well as some other moves, but I got so caught up in thinking about new ideas for her play-style that I forgot that all I'm trying to do is establish an idle and running animation. But I digress...

I'm not going to comment on my decision making this time. I'll simply let you guys respond however you like and explain my reasoning whenever necessary.
I like this a lot. It incorporates everything I would've hoped for in a more aggressive, "real," stance (bent knees, etc), while also keeping that, "video game logic," coolness. Very, very nice work, and I'm don't know why I didn't see it earlier.

I really hate the fact that I can't see her ankles, it looks like she has goat legs.

I like this a lot. It incorporates everything I would've hoped for in a more aggressive, "real," stance (bent knees, etc), while also keeping that, "video game logic," coolness. Very, very nice work, and I'm don't know why I didn't see it earlier.

Good, cuz that's the idle stance that I'm currently animating :P

I really hate the fact that I can't see her ankles, it looks like she has goat legs.

Yeah, her feet and legs are somewhat odd at certain angles, though I think you'll like the way I'm currently animating her idle. Her ankles are seen from various angles, including from the side.

Good, cuz that's the idle stance that I'm currently animating :P
I know you'll kill it. I hope to see some powerful sword work ;)

Reactions: Skullmageddon
On a game play note, I think it would be cool to have her combo logic work in reverse, i.e. her kicks chain into punches (sword), instead of the normal punches -> kicks.

(i still like my idea for a gameplay gimmick but I still have no idea how EX moves are going to work with how Super inputs are in SG)

OH MY GOD

REAL SWORD MOVE OPPORTUNITY

YES

There's a move I like to do when I feel the swag overpowering me. Normally, the Furikaburi (raising the sword above your head) is done with efficiency in mind, but if you disguise the Furikaburi by staging it as a rising reverse grip swing, you can then meet the handle at the top of your arc and bring the sword down with both hands, catching their counterattack.

In Annie's case, she'd swing her arm around, bringing the blade up from the ground to the sky. As her arm reached it's highest point, she would loosen her grip, letting the blade rotate. As it did so, her opposite hand would come up to grip the hilt, and her original sword hand would then correctly grip it in a normal double hand grip. Then, she brings it down in a massive second blow.

From a gameplay standpoint, this would likely need to be a two-part rekka HP. The first part could even lift them, a la Cerebella's cr.MK.

I'm so wet thinking about this, right now.

Dude, that sounds FUCKINGBALLER. When Annie actually gets made, this NEEDS to be one of her moves.

Also It's nice to hear these kinds of ideas. I know absolutely nothing about real swordplay, so it's interesting to hear ideas from the perspective of someone who knows what the fuck they are talking about.

Dude, that sounds FUCKINGBALLER. When Annie actually gets made, this NEEDS to be one of her moves.

Also It's nice to hear these kinds of ideas. I know absolutely nothing about real swordplay, so it's interesting to hear ideas from the perspective of someone who knows what the fuck they are talking about.
She absolutely needs to have some chiburi/noto win animations.

Basically, you gotta get the blood off your sword before you put it back in the scabbard. You can do any number of things, from spinning the blade, striking the hilt, or even wiping it on your clothing. No matter what you do though, YOU'RE FUCKING BADASS. Anime's been doing it for years, it's such a culturally understood awesome thing to do once you've won.

I prefer simple chiburi (a single swing to remove the blood), but we're looking for style, here.

Last edited:
OH MY GOD

REAL SWORD MOVE OPPORTUNITY

YES

There's a move I like to do when I feel the swag overpowering me. Normally, the Furikaburi (raising the sword above your head) is done with efficiency in mind, but if you disguise the Furikaburi by staging it as a rising reverse grip swing, you can then meet the handle at the top of your arc and bring the sword down with both hands, catching their counterattack.

In Annie's case, she'd swing her arm around, bringing the blade up from the ground to the sky. As her arm reached it's highest point, she would loosen her grip, letting the blade rotate. As it did so, her opposite hand would come up to grip the hilt, and her original sword hand would then correctly grip it in a normal double hand grip. Then, she brings it down in a massive second blow.

From a gameplay standpoint, this would likely need to be a two-part rekka HP. The first part could even lift them, a la Cerebella's cr.MK.

I'm so wet thinking about this, right now.
In other words, Ragna's standing D?

(i still like my idea for a gameplay gimmick but I still have no idea how EX moves are going to work with how Super inputs are in SG)
Maybe one could doubletap the button used for the move to EX it at the cost of either meter or health?

=w= I feel these are better suited for a character with a SAMURAI SWORD like Ky Kyske, not someone who has a large sword like Annie. plus, considering the absolute GIRTH of Annie's sword, sheathing it smoothly like a samurai's sword is probably not gonna translate to well.

@Night Phyre I can see that you're using every opportunity you can find to apply your own knowledge of swordplay to Annie's possible move set. Honestly I'm very surprised that all your attention isn't directed to Regina, a character who's mechanics are far more focused on swordsmanship than Annie.

I still think all of your ideas are awesome, but they're directed towards the wrong character in my opinion.

To be fair, Regina is a far less memorable character than The Girl of the Stars.

Reactions: SmashBlade
still doesnt change the fact that what Kai is suggesting would be far more suitable for Regina than it would be for Annie by the sole fact of Annie and Regina's different types of swords alone.

In other words, Ragna's standing D?
BBCS_%28Ragna_5D%29.png

Well, at first appearance, sure, I guess. To do it correctly (with as much power as you can put into it, essentially), you'd need to step into it, though, and also actually aim at your enemy. Ragna appears to have planted his feet, sucking all the momentum from the strikes. He's also hitting the ground, as I assume he hates all walkable surfaces with a burning passion.

Annie would (hopefully) power forward with each strike, as well as strike forward at her opponent. But yeah, it's a real sequences of moves, so it makes sense that some variation would already exist in a videogame already.

still doesnt change the fact that what Kai is suggesting would be far more suitable for Regina than it would be for Annie by the sole fact of Annie and Regina's different types of swords alone.
Huh? Annie and Ragna's swords seem relatively similar, different art styles considered. They're both heavy, single-edged cleavers. unless "Regina" is somebody else?

Regina's the beastmaster with the big nose. Revealed in the crowdfunding voting, never got far?

Huh? Annie and Ragna's swords seem relatively similar, different art styles considered. They're both heavy, single-edged cleavers. unless "Regina" is somebody else?
20130307001541-DLC_Regina.png

this Regina

@Night Phyre I can see that you're using every opportunity you can find to apply your own knowledge of swordplay to Annie's possible move set. Honestly I'm very surprised that all your attention isn't directed to Regina, a character who's mechanics are far more focused on swordsmanship than Annie. I still think all of your ideas are awesome, but they're directed towards the wrong character in my opinion.
Although I do love European swordplay (which I think Regina would use), it's not Regina that has fan animations being made ;)

Although I do love European swordplay (which I think Regina would use), it's not Regina that has fan animations being made ;)
that scabbard tho. very japanese sword-like.

20130307001541-DLC_Regina.png

this Regina
Right, sorry.

In that case, the move I suggested would be a 100% no-no with Regina's sword. It's so incompatible that there's no way she would do that. She appears to be far more, "stable." I imagine she'd have something going like α Patroklos from SC5.

Reactions: SmashBlade
It's not just the different kinds of swords Sano. In Annie's gameplay inspirations there isn't a single character who represents samurai swordsmanship. Regina's gameplay inspirations include Hibiki, Nakoruru, Galford, and Johnny. Regina also has this in her gameplay description.

"She is also incredibly fast with her crop, able to strike with minimal start-up, similar to quickdraw sword characters in other fighting games such as Johnny or Hibiki."

Not necessarily. Regina's sword appears to be a one handed sword, so a two handed strike doesn't work. Also, I'm under the impression that her sword style is Iaido (if she sheathes it between strikes) or maybe some form of Fencing, using quick and controlled strikes.

The large overhead swing makes a lot of sense with Annie. Her sword is big and a swing like that would do a lot of damage. The win pose he suggested isn't sheathing her sword, just cleaning the blood off the blade.

Right, sorry.

In that case, the move I suggested would be a 100% no-no with Regina's sword. It's so incompatible that there's no way she would do that. She appears to be far more, "stable." I imagine she'd have something going like α Patroklos from SC5.
Not necessarily. Regina's sword appears to be a one handed sword, so a two handed strike doesn't work. Also, I'm under the impression that her sword style is Iaido (if she sheathes it between strikes) or maybe some form of Fencing, using quick and controlled strikes.

The large overhead swing makes a lot of sense with Annie. Her sword is big and a swing like that would do a lot of damage. The win pose he suggested isn't sheathing her sword, just cleaning the blood off the blade.
I was more referring to the win pose stuff Kai was suggesting. not the movesets.

I was more referring to the win pose stuff Kai was suggesting. not the movesets.
Ah. She could still do a cool chiburi, but any flashier move would be tough with the way he sword was constructed.

I kinda like the idea that Annie's moves are actually pretty simple, but the magical-girl effects are what make them a large spectacle.

Ah. She could still do a cool chiburi, but any flashier move would be tough with the way he sword was constructed.
ooph, I still disagree on that one. again, big girthy sword that has a flat blunt end.

I kinda like the idea that Annie's moves are actually pretty simple, but the magical-girl effects are what make them a large spectacle.
I kinda like what alex drew up on annie's moves.
fvvdr4.jpg

a bit of flailing and weighty swings with her sword. and the sword can change into a thinner one in season 2 mode.

I still think that Night Phyre is just using Annie's popularity and her status as a sword user as an outlet to apply his knowledge of swordplay. It doesn't matter if it's Annie, Regina, or Young Beowulf, a popular sword user who isn't in the game is going to grab his attention. Annie's not a Samurai, but he's making her out to be one.

Wait that sounded really judgmental, I'm sorry if I fired some accidental shots.

I kinda like what alex drew up on annie's moves.
fvvdr4.jpg

a bit of flailing and weighty swings with her sword. and the sword can change into a thinner one in season 2 mode.
How did I forget about this? This stuff is awesome!

I still think that Night Phyre is just using Annie's popularity and her status as a sword user as an outlet to apply his knowledge of swordplay. It doesn't matter if it's Annie, Regina, or Young Beowulf, a popular sword user who isn't in the game is going to grab his attention. Annie's not a Samurai, but he's making her out to be one.

Wait that sounded really judgmental, I'm sorry if I fired some accidental shots.
I think I said as much.

I can only put out what I know. She's a swordswoman of several decades, so I suggest what that might look like.