• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Project Annie...In Motion!

"If you wanna make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

Annie'd better be loaded with Carl Sagan quotes.

Sagan's fuel source is the chronic, obviously

Everyone knows Sagan's true secret power source is...this
maxresdefault.jpg

I just want to remind some of you that the concept art Alex drew had very strong suggestions as to her style:

comparisonannie.png

That first strike is especially telling: proper stance, putting her body into it, etc. I'm not just pulling this kenjutsu stuff out of my ass, people. It's right there. Whether intentional or just the result of Alex's exposure to Anime with swords in it, it's there.

I just want to remind some of you that the concept art Alex drew had very strong suggestions as to her style:

View attachment 1877

That first strike is especially telling: proper stance, putting her body into it, etc. I'm not just pulling this kenjutsu stuff out of my ass, people. It's right there. Whether intentional or just the result of Alex's exposure to Anime with swords in it, it's there.

Yup, basically she mostly two hands her sword, and uses those kind of stances.. in my animation I could only animate on 2d so I couldn't get that more visible.

(I still like North Sword as a super)
(also Ursword Major is still one of my favorite things)

Reactions: DDB
Yeah, North Sword is undeniably super material.

Reactions: Kai
also she would obviously say "HOKUTO NO KEN" when she uses it
(you see it...it's because ken can mean sword and hokuto refers to the big dipper...I'll go over there)

Last edited:
We have to come up with an initiation song...

well i could get that rap i BS'd a few pages ago

I've been working on this for a while, now. It's a rollicking good time, just not done yet.

Hell freaking yeah!

I think it'd be cool if Annie was so multistyled that she didn't have an actual style at all. She takes a little bit out of everything and mixes it together for a mishmash of swordplay.
This is probably the best way to go about approaching what Annie's style would be like without forcing something that obviously doesn't fit. I commend @Someone0956 for adding content to this thread, but his rough animation actually illustrates what I dislike most about Kenjutsu, Karate, and Japanese martial arts in general.

They just look so damn stiff. Considering Annie's powers, equipment, and personality, fighting with such restricted movement wouldn't fit at all. In fact I think that restricting Annie to any particular style of real life swordplay would only hurt her as a character. I hope that most of Annie's sword swings are like her Saturn Slash, Galaxy Cutter, and Crescent Cut. Very simple sweeping cleaves without any flair.

Annie is not a samurai, knight, fencer, gladiator, or anything. Annie is Annie and she will fight like Annie.

Last edited:
Annie is not a samurai, knight, fencer, gladiator, or anything. Annie is Annie and she will fight like Annie.
She's all of those things

and much more.

They just look so damn stiff.

I get where you're coming from @Denizen. Annie probably developed her own style of fighting after all those centuries of duking it out with the skullgirls. But speaking specifically for the North Sword attack, looking at the character sheet of Annie pulling off that attack there isn't much room to loosen her up. Its mainly just an up to down movement, the only placed that could possibly be un-stiff-ed would be when she's bringing her sword up and a small part when shes bringing her sword down. Not much else can be done for that unless someone decides to add their own [solar] flare into the move.

Okay, so most of my plans for new moves had been kind of scrapped, since the ones I planned to draw had already been covered by Alex's earlier concepts (mainly Annie kicking Sagan into releasing cosmic beams), but I had wrote down notes on how to put her moves together for button configs. Sort of. I'll post all of those in a little while.

I did come up with a win pose and like an idea for one in-between frame for her Season 2 power up, but my scanner is not working with me right now. Ugh.

Also need help with coming up with crouching moves. Any ideas?

I'm kinda dropped off the face of the Earth and in the process I found my magical drawing tablet. Mind if I ask what program you guys are using to ANNIEMATE animate?

Really? How do you do that? I don't remember anything about anything.

If you use the cs-something version you should see a "time line" panel under the image, putting the default settings might get this menu to come up.

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 8.0...

maybe a crouching move where she hits her opponent with an attack
i don't want to get too crazy but I think you can work with that

Okay, got one sheet scanned! Had to erase the side notes I added next to them. Note: my art's pretty shitty. owo;;

Extra info added in the spoiler~

scan0001_zpsc643445a.jpg

Top left is the win pose idea (cause I still like the idea that Annie smokes cigarettes, even if that info was leaked early in the 3rd character vote info page and got changed into something else.), and the top middle is an idea for how Annie would transform into her Season 2 Magical God form. It works like Sailor Moon's pink transformation ribbons in a way that they wrap around her body while her hair gets loose and Sagan dissolves, becoming part of her outfit. Top right was an re-draw of the second design Alex had for the Season 2 look. I noticed her body takes on an interesting form, with the upper and lower halves shaped into circles. I wonder how that'll play out.

Bottom is an idea for an air dash, using the rocket boost in her boots.

Last edited:
Oh man I forgot that Sagan becomes part of Annie's dress in her Season 2 form! Now I can only imagine Sagan becoming huge and eating Annie to transform.
i0bqIZwwz6p5v.gif

Reactions: Error Macro and DDB
I'm kinda dropped off the face of the Earth and in the process I found my magical drawing tablet. Mind if I ask what program you guys are using to ANNIEMATE animate?

ms paint and photoshop B)

Well, he just bites down on her head and becomes a part of her head dress in season 2 form.

Well, he just bites down on her head and becomes a part of her head dress in season 2 form.
Well then that should initiate the transformation. Annie get's her eye back too right?

Well then that should initiate the transformation. Annie get's her eye back too right?
From what I've looked over, yes, Annie gets her eye back in Season 2 form.

Reactions: Karlaaldana
I probably won't be able to. I got it as a Christmas gift...

I don't know some freeware to animate similarly to photoshop or even flash but if someone remembers a decent one this should give help...

I used to use pivot but.. now that I see it, it's not a very good animation program unless you want to make quick and simple motion examples but even at that is very lack luster, specially since you can't do anything in '3d'.