• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Project Annie of the Stars fangame

Here are two of the WIP that I've shared for the game (you may have heard Annie's Theme on the tumblr).

Annie's Theme
and
Anais's Theme

There's also been a lot of great work done on the front end with regards to the 8bit versions of some in-game music done by Lumen Fortuna, so you'll also get to enjoy that whenever we get it into the various builds.

The overall sound profile for the game should fall somewhere in between, "remixed skullgirls," and, "reminiscent of mega man." There's also gonna be some stuff guaranteed to change your whole perspective on shit, but we're not talking about that. It's a surprise.

Reactions: juju_for_president
Here are two of the WIP that I've shared for the game (you may have heard Annie's Theme on the tumblr).
Oh my gosh, I love these original themes, they contrast to each other so well! I can't wait to see how the rest of the game's music turns out.

Oh my gosh, I love these original themes, they contrast to each other so well! I can't wait to see how the rest of the game's music turns out.

Anais's theme is written as something of a reprise of Annie's theme, to play off the fact that she's a clone (or is she?). For the game proper, many of the levels have multiple sections, allowing for a great range of sounds. You might start off a level in one area, then finish in another, meaning we get to use two songs in that level's running sections. It's a big project, and I'm excited to PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT.

LIMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

Last edited:
Gonna keep my eye on this and Brain Drain audition incoming! :D
Your Brain Drain voice sent shivers down my spine. Amazing job! I really hope your chosen to provide the voice of at least one of the characters you auditioned for.

Reactions: Shockdingo
Here's the finished sprites I got done during the stream
Yeah, Roach Filia is gonna be canon in the game. Sike
tumblr_msmrd7tI6h1rwxvn2o1_400.png

tumblr_msmqjqOVAT1rwxvn2o1_250.png

I've seen some of the work on Tumblr; it's looking very nice & I can't wait to see the finished product! Keep up the great work!

Reactions: DARKNESSxEAGLE
I think the fall speed is just a little bit too fast, could be a problem when descending in full stages if there are traps or enemies, might just be from me playing Megaman feels a bit faster than that, the wall slide is super fast.
Had a chance to play it today on a computer that isn't a steaming pile of buffalo excrement, turns out that on my actual PC the demo suffers from a bit of lag despite the game not being particularly demanding (albeit unoptimised), can definitely see what you mean about the fall speed. I'll be sure to change it in the actual version.

This is an amazing concept for a game, I'd definitely play it. Checked out the demo, and I noticed in levels 2 and 3, right near the start when you have to jump over the wall(terrible description, sorry) if you hold right and jump, you will wall slide right back down immediately and won't be able to jump the wall. In other words, holding right+jumping into a wall= you're not going anywhere. This probably applies to all other walls as well, though I didn't bother to test it.
Also wondering if you'll be able to jump away from walls rather than just up them. Similar to an IWBTG kind of wall jump, it seems like it'd really work here since you gave Annie a double jump.

I noticed in levels 2 and 3, right near the start when you have to jump over the wall...
Well.
Damn.
The update we've linked is a pretty old version.
That wall jump issue has been fixed, the latest version is here

Last edited:
Oh, another thing about the next update is that the filesize won't be huge, graphics assets sizes will be mostly cut down to 25% of what they currently are.

And the frame rate will be uncapped, sprite animations'll probably stay at 17fps though

Last edited:
Just got to play the demo (the first download posted didn't work for me, but the new one did). I really like the look of the game so far, keep it up! I can't wait to see more.

I just played your demo and the first thing that happened when I tried to go the down path was I flew into the ground.

Anyway the demo is very very nice. The music is really catchy and well done, and the controls are fluent and responsive. I did notice you can't complete the last level (I'm assuming) because the platform is too far away to double jump too.

I cannot wait to see more :3

Last edited:
Well.
Damn.
The update we've linked is a pretty old version.
That wall jump issue has been fixed, the latest version is here

Okay played this version. This version certainly fixes a lot of problems the first had. Wall jumping is much better now, but something about jumping away from walls doesn't feel natural-needing to jump before you start moving to control yourself in air after your jump. Might I suggest having a slight delay on detaching from the wall when you click the direction opposite the wall? It would make jumping away from the wall a lot easier, and allow the player to cross greater distances from a wall.
Also, I love your additional compositions. Not sure what, if any, is original or just all 8-bit-ized songs I don't recognize(aside from the main skullgirls theme), but they sound great.

Not sure what, if any, is original or just all 8-bit-ized songs I don't recognize(aside from the main skullgirls theme), but they sound great.
I believe the Skullgirls Main Theme (The Legend of the Skullheart) and Fish Man's Dance (Little Innsmouth stage music) are 8-bit remixed into the game, but the rest are originals (Annie's Theme and Anais's Theme).

Sounds neat, I could use a Mega Man-like game while I wait for Mighty No. 9. :D

I believe the Skullgirls Main Theme (The Legend of the Skullheart) and Fish Man's Dance (Little Innsmouth stage music) are 8-bit remixed into the game, but the rest are originals (Annie's Theme and Anais's Theme).
This is correct.

Oh god why is she Valentine now

Reactions: Lavama
Heya folks! Voice of Annie here! In case you're wondering how she sounds like, this is my first run with her that I posted on the forums a while back.

Click here!

And here's another that I did a bit ago. Did a test for Annie against Anais which still needs some work! Still trying to grasp the two but it's getting there!

Click here!

So, um, is there a way to know if we have the latest if we feel lazy and don't want to scroll through the thread?

This game, how do you change the controls? I can't play it because my right button is broken due to milk.

This game, how do you change the controls? I can't play it because my right button is broken due to milk.
You'll have to wait for the actual version I'm afraid, I rushed the Alpha thing quite a bit so it's missing a lot of things. You'll also be able to use a controller/fight stick/joystick in the actual version and map the controls as you desire to that.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
So as the enemy and (some) tile sprite artist, I'm a bit stumped on enemy ideas. What are some enemies (some for marie's minions, some not) that could fit in with the SG universe?
Marie uses dead peeps. Dead gangsters, dead karate dudes, etc. It's a zombie party.

So as the enemy and (some) tile sprite artist, I'm a bit stumped on enemy ideas. What are some enemies (some for marie's minions, some not) that could fit in with the SG universe?
Ya know, a certain Vampire would be interesting, considering the strength of the Skullheart...

A demon barber.

From Fleet Street!

Joking aside what about:

-Rogue scientists who want to harness the power of the Skullheart and /or wish to know what makes Annie tick

-Mercs from said scientists

-Random Ferals that are in the SG universe

-Cosmic themed villains to match Annie's main aesthetic or aliens?