• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Another training diary that no one will read or care about

Look at the date the game was played.

This was MDE. Bypass beat Plane because this was before homing plane.

Once plane goes, you're blocking either bangbangbang or an item drop, which will hold you in blockstun long enough for another plane to be on the screen.

the problem is that you let peacock at her favorite scene. fullscreen. i realized that peacock's goal isn't really to run away but to get her optimal point which is fullscreen in which peacock and lock down.

ways to get through this.

1) let your assist take hits and go for scapel bypass and reset the FUCK out of cock

If you tk bypass into airshow as it's being called you'll always either hit peacock out of it or go under airshow

If you're running forward as airshow is called it will always go over you -- you can drop into a grounded block immediately to block things like HP bangs

Any time peacock uses HP bangs and you aren't already blocking it you should be able to jump - bypass to get in for free or cancel whatever you were doing into bypass

You can even just ground scalpels fullscreen if you see her calling bombs mindlessly and get within normal range for free unless she burns meter to cancel into lenny

JWong doesn't even play the game and got in against Jem multiple times, most notable in the first match by smartly dodging the plane.
If Val is free to Peacock, what is literally every other character in the game? Val has the best mobility, access to bypass and ground scalpels.

Feel free to ping ANY peacock player - jem, mcpeanuts, skarmand, etc and ask them what they think of the Val matchup.
Then ask ANY val player - duck, mpgame, ?? i dunno who plays val - what they think of the Peacock matchup.
Saying "Val has no options" and "It's a free win for Peacock" is a joke~ At worst it's even.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
If Peacock has DP assist, even solo Para has a better matchup than Val. It's still basically 1-9 or 0-10, but she's got more tools than Val does, and better tools, that's for damn sure.

Val's mobility literally does nothing against Peacock. If she goes over the projectiles then Peacock gets a free teleport or a free DP call to force a block; if she runs and Peacock knows the HP button exists or that ground bomb exists, or if she just calls DP, then RIP Val; and since Encore, Bypass loses to plane or assist. At least Para has YOLO lvl 3 and Bike -> Sniper.

If Peacock has DP assist, even solo Para has a better matchup than Val. It's still basically 1-9 or 0-10, but she's got more tools than Val does, and better tools, that's for damn sure.

Val's mobility literally does nothing against Peacock. If she goes over the projectiles then Peacock gets a free teleport or a free DP call to force a block; if she runs and Peacock knows the HP button exists or that ground bomb exists, or if she just calls DP, then RIP Val; and since Encore, Bypass loses to plane or assist.

I.. What?

Val's mobility literally does nothing against Peacock. If she goes over the projectiles then Peacock gets a free teleport or a free DP call to force a block; if she runs and Peacock knows the HP button exists or that ground bomb exists, or if she just calls DP, then RIP Val; and since Encore, Bypass loses to plane or assist. At least Para has YOLO lvl 3 and Bike -> Sniper.

Only scumbag peacock players will deny this

Reactions: Merlock
She's rough for most MU, but I don't think there is a 1-9 in this game.

Though homing plane was a weird choice. Peacock item drop was pretty strong even post nerf, and the mix of plane and nerfed SOID is worse than old SOID.

That fucking plane yo. I told everyone... But no one listens.
Also, yeah this is a new game, val doesnt rofl stomp peacock anymore. Watch tj versus ducks most recent games to see this..

That fucking plane yo.

If Peacock has DP assist, even solo Para has a better matchup than Val.

No?

At least Para has YOLO lvl 3 and Bike -> Sniper.

Solo Parasoul can and sometimes will die before you even get level 3. Bike->sniper is a actually really bad strategy not only because it can be easily baited or countered, but even if you land it if they happened to have thrown out a LK bomb there is a likely chance you won't convert off the bike anyways since the bomb will stop you.

Peacock's lockdown with projectiles suck, but the options Parasoul has are slim to none as Super Jump is pretty much your only movement option. Soooomtimes MK Egret but that can fail easily too and really only stops auto-piloting zoning from Peacocks. Valentine's options don't work the best either, and similarly can be be countered/baited, but they are still options that help go in which need to be managed and are certainly more numerous than Solo Parasoul of all things.

Please don't say a match up is really bad just because you don't know what to do. You just aren't good at the match up yourself. Learn to Val.

(There said it for all of you.)

Things I want that I can do in training mode but go out the fucking window in a match:

Val: when I see c.lk has been blocked, chain to s.HK -> call LnL -> Dead Cross to continue pressure. When I'm pressuring someone after an assist call, remember to fucking JUMP and spend some time with those multihit overheads/double overheads/fastfalls before going to the ground to give my assist some time to get off the screen so it can be called again; just doing call assist -> low like I do now (well, like I do in actual matches; I'm perfectly capable of getting this right in training) fucking blows ass. Try to keep track of when I've got a vial loaded, since those sumbitches are + on block.

Parasoul: j.lp -> j.hp. Why is it so hard to make the j.hp come out? Also, need to actually integrate c.lk -> b.hk into my game. Yes, I've been saying this forever. Also, call LnL -> super/dash jump depending on character/range -> Spiral Flare is fucking sweet, and I need to do it more. Even better when they're on a tear, and I can make the Spiral Flare not cross up, but detonate the tear for a hit.

I also need to stop fucking downbacking against Band. Come on Cynical, you know damn well that his only low is at the very start of his chain; stop fucking holding down back after that, you dumbass!

Last edited:
10 hours over the last two days in training mode on "Operation: completely rework your Parasoul". Learning the tear links for better combos and hopefully better reset options.

Not looking forward to how bad all of this is going to be when I start taking it into real games for the first time. It's going to be a real struggle to tell myself "do s.HPx2 off of your chains, not launcher, you idiot!". Not to mention all of those links that have never been done under pressure.

Ugh. So frustrating.

Every single fucking player is just passing me by skill-wise. Back in the very first post of this thread, I used to be able to go roughly even against ElkyDori. Now? Now I can't even fucking take off 25% of one character. And that's pretty much how it is universally. ANYONE who I used to have good games against now just completely obliterates me with zero fucking effort.

So fucking tired of being plateaued and seeing absolutely no improvements; it's literally been about three months since any aspect of my game has improved even in the slightest. No idea how to improve beyond where I am now.

EDIT: And, once again demonstrating that I'm the absolute least talented player in all of Skullgirls, I got fucking MASSACRED by a player that has exactly 50 hours in game. Jesus fuck, why am I still trying?

Last edited:
Man, I relate.

You might try and focus your education a bit and spend more time in the training room. For example, "today I'm going to practice a happy birthday until it is consistent", or "I'm going to run my bnb until it is 100%". Depending on how many hours you have in game, I'm betting you have no shortage of MU experience and it is lab time that is required of you now. In any case, that's where I'm at, so hopefully it is at least kind of helpful.

I've also found that being more focused with a more clearly stated goal when headed into a match helps too. When I see a Squigly for instance, I know my instinct is to start flying and stay flying which is no bueno... so I overtly and very deliberately force myself to stay grounded. It isn't always perfect as in the moment reflexes start to take over... but that is effectively what I am trying to train.

You might also just be on tilt. You'll have waves. One moment you'll feel like a God hanging tough with the greats. The next you get taken down by the brand new Filia running IAD spamming. Take a break, try a new character, try a new game, or just push through it and deal with the frustration. It does happen to pretty much everyone.

You should also feel free to add me on Steam (QSpec). We can get a set go and give each other some mutual advice. Good luck!

Reactions: dMags
I have 450 hours in game.

I just got ASSRAPED by a Parasoul player with less than 40, whose only combo was string into s.HK -> super. Part of this was because it was impossible to tech j.hp for some reason (lol Skullgirls input code), but the sentiment remains.

I'm so fucking tired of this shit. By any metric, I improve less than ANY OTHER FUCKING PLAYER on the entire fucking internet at this game. Doomed to stay at this level for-fucking-ever.

... I can probably teach you. You should throw up some new vids of your playstyle. I just watched some of the old ones and i found some super dubious stuff in there that could be handled... But perhaps they already have been addressed. I can see exactly why you are failing to learn. And i can help you with that... But its a long road dude. You will have to regress in order to progress i fear.

Getting OBS set up on my new HD has been on the "to do" list for a while.

I appear on this stream a few times, starting at 1hr 5 mins: http://www.twitch.tv/kitballard64/b/532439050

Since then, I've spend the last week totally revamping my fucking awful Parasoul (it's still fucking awful, though), and trying more corner resets instead of hard knockdown oki + assists with Val (since switching from Copter to LnL, I don't have a really good meaty assist anymore. and haven't been getting great results with the oki).

I also probably appear some on @Dreamepitaph 's stream, but I have no idea where to look to find those games.

I appear on this stream a few times, starting at 1hr 5 mins: http://www.twitch.tv/kitballard64/b/532439050

Since then, I've spend the last week totally revamping my fucking awful Parasoul (it's still fucking awful, though), and trying more corner resets instead of hard knockdown oki + assists with Val (since switching from Copter to LnL, I don't have a really good meaty assist anymore. and haven't been getting great results with the oki).

I also probably appear some on @Dreamepitaph 's stream, but I have no idea where to look to find those games.

Unfortunately my internet is bad right now... But i have some things to say about that first match: i missed val at the beginning. My internet is bad though. I saw your parasoul come in and get opened up on the mixup... Nothing wrong there. It happens to everyone. Then i saw you go in after having gotten out of reset hell...that wasnt a good idea. You've already lost a character and now your parasoul is bleeding... But without even a thought you immediately go in like fuck it. You dont even bother to lead with your assist... Just balls out leading with your point. You... Of course immediately get opened up by beat extend assist and picked up into full combo.... Reset hell... Dead. Next character. Opened up again... But undizzy saces you... Good stuff... And once again, when you should be looking to reset the situation, make space, and get a proper read... You yolo diamond dynamo as AA and get it blocked and punished and die.

So, I'm still basically seeing the biggest problem that i saw in your play 2 months ago on that stream... You arent leading with your assists (lol you were solo though)... Which is huge... Huge. And you jump forward as the first option in most situations... Not only do you jump forward.. You PRESS BUTTONS while jumping forward... Not good. AA assist will chew you up and spit you out for that.

You seem to make ALOT of predictive spacial reads, like you know jumping to a certain spot and hoping your opponent will be there, rather than trying to engineer a situation where you know your opponent is probably going to be there... In other words... You dont really use spacial baits at all. And fighting games are all about using correct spacial/footsie baits. Whats a spacial bait? Its where you back up and "clear the way" for your opponent to attack you... Or so they think. What you are really doing is daring your opponent to come after you, because you have a preset response already in mind if they try and take the bait.

What's basically happening with you is you are getting constantly spacial,y baited into things like AA assists and stuff and getting opened up for free.

You dont have to take my advice, but if i was you here are things i would do to improve:

1.slow down and try and assess the situation in real time. Try and come up with a plan in game to go offensive against the opponent. DONT JUST GO IN. have a plan that is backed up by observing the opponents tendencies.

2. For parasoul, have a better assist than lock n load... Its good for peacock and may even be ok for parasoul... But it isnt parasouls best assist which is undoubtedly mk or lk bomber. If you dont like bomber, then go for updo. At least have one of these assists for parasoul. Cerecopter works, but to at your parasouls level and it is weaker than bombers or updo anyways.

3. Once you have one of these aforementioned assists, EMPTY JUMP FORWARD AND CALL YOUR ASSIST ON THE WAY UP (works best with lk bomber, USE MACROS FOR THIS) if the opponent stays on the ground and presses a button.. You will block it and they will eat your bomber and you will convert the bomber into full combo easily. If they stayed on the ground and did nothing, your bomber locks them down and you get a free high/low mixup unless they ag out of it... Or pbgc. If they jump and press a button, its pretty much the same as pressing a button on the ground. They get opened up depending on their height. This is why lk bomber is so strong for parasoul...its HER BEST JUMP ATTACK. Really, for parasoul, lk bomber is basically another jump attack. And if you empty jump and do it... Your parasoul is safe from updos and pillars and reversals.

The way to beat this is to airthrow parasoul, or bait parasouls lk bomber into wiffing... Other than that, the world is your oyster.

But dont just jumpin willy nilly... Like i said, this is beatable by making the bomber wiff. So your first priority should be NOT TO WIFF. How do you do this? Spacial baits.

Throw fireballs and wait for the opponent to come to you.... And then instead of just waiting, have an empty jump plus lk bomber ready to meet them.

Using this tactic alone should give you much better results (as long as you dont wiff those bombers!!!!!!!!) so I'll leave you with that. Ive said to much already. Just remember to stop guessing where your opponent will be and try to make it so that you know your opponent WANTS to be there...

i didn't arcive it sorry i will next time i'm on okay?

Well, streaming now, and after a week dedicated to Parasoul, what happens?

I STILL CANNOT CONTROL THAT CHARACTER. AT ALL.

Seriously, why are her fucking chains impossible to do? Is this some dumb online thing? Because this never happened in over a week of never going online...

edit@DimeX: I can't play Double AT ALL. And Val pretty much needs either LnL or Double Butt.

Last edited:
Val with lnl? If you cant play double... Then try filia with updo...its better for val anyways. And is great for parasoul as well. Then you can switchup parasoul to hp shot. Believe me... Its good. But at the end of the day... You need an assist that works well with empty jump. If you dont have one, you leave way to many offensive opportunities on the table. Best empty jump assists are bombers, pillar, updo, fukua hk drill, filia hairball can work on occasion, brass is decent.

At best lnl is an ok assist that does massive damage....the damage is its best property imho.

I'll leave it to you, but imho... Once again. At your level, just stick lk bomber on the back of your team and dont even use double. I do this all the time to see if i like an assist. Just stick it in the back and if that character comes out... Then i just act like im trying and look forward to the next game. Its all in practice name after all. If you find you actually like lk bomber... It may give you some inspiration to learn double. Shes like... Super easy. Barrel loops are hard to learn... But once you do... You basically wont be able to drop them almost ever. And doubles strategy is easy as hell also:

Jump around with j.hp. Hitconfirm it if you can. Cancel it early into j.hk to fastfall and then throw them. If they start jumping out of that or teching... Just go low instead.

At neutral if you are within dash distance of them, just use the 3 pronged offense mixup:

Dash throw
Dash low
Dash airthrow

And thats pretty much it as far as double is concerned with the exception of learning barrel loops. Which are universal except against BB.

LnL is great for Val, yes. Stuffs pokes in the neutral, gives her easy confirms off of s.hp and s.hk (and gives her great pressure off of those moves on block), and any random LnL that hits is almost certainly going to turn into a full combo with her speed.

Also -- something I always forget to do, but Dekillsage told me to do more of -- it's flat out fucking amazing for countercalling DP assists. Jump forward, double jump back, and then Bella Brofist the inevitable DP call for MASSIVE damage on the assist. Plus, it has a tendency to beat them clean if it comes to a "simultaneous call" war, and frequently even goes through the assist to pop both assist and point char.

And if you thought Peacock "call LnL -> teleport" bullshit was annoying, you'll REALLY love "call LnL -> IAD j.HP".

After playing around with "empty jump -> call LnL on the way up" with Parasoul, I can confirm that it ALSO gives Parasoul easy conversions. Easier to jump than Bomber, true, but it's not like Parasoul is lacking in air-to-air options of the other guy jumped at her second...

Oh i know its good, I'm just talking about trying something different to take YOUR game up there. Yes it can counter call assists...so can almost every other assist as well. As far as hitconfirming it... Thats more of a crapshoot. You kinda have to guess it hitting which means flowcharting your offense on block. Sure its an easy conversion on hit... But are you REALLY confirming and not just guessing hit? With lk bomber you have true confirms into mixups.

Anyways like i said, i was just giving suggestions. Its totally cool if you dont like them... I just saw complaining about not winning and thought i would tell you some "winning" strats. Lnl might be great for both characters, but i havent seen anyone high level using it... And to me that is telling... Though to take my own advice i will use lnl on my team and see how it goes.... Perhaps you are onto something. Only experimentation will tell.

I need to stop screwing up my QCB motions so much. That's costing me a LOT of games right now.

Oddly, it's both sides, and I don't have QCF problems on either side, which indicates to me that the problem likely comes from the fact that I'm usually holding back in the first place. I think I may be missing the "1" input in the "214" in haste, after moving the stick from "1" to "2" in the first place.

Have you narrowed it down?

I was dropping my qcb in combos and under pressure. I ended up fixing it (mostly) by taking a breath and slowing it down a bit.

God, I fucking hate this game's input code. It's literally broken.

In the SNS set I just went 1-7 in, you can see dash coming out as two steps walking with Parasoul after a level 3 -> cancel. LOL. Not to mention j.hk -> c.lk giving me a sweep because of the hk staying buffered.

Literally 0 completed combos over 8 games because of stupid bullshit like this. GG, Skullgirls!

So, I need to switch from using lp+hp on macro 1 for easy airdashes and pushblocks to using lp + mk for proper Pillar calls.

Not looking forward to relearning how to play the whole game.

So, for those of you who do button air-dashes, and don't use a macro:

Do you always use the same two buttons for your dash, or do you pick depending on the circumstance? For example, if you wanted to do Val IAD j.hp, would you use the same two buttons for the airdash as if you wanted to do IAD j.mp?

So, for those of you who do button air-dashes, and don't use a macro:

Do you always use the same two buttons for your dash, or do you pick depending on the circumstance? For example, if you wanted to do Val IAD j.hp, would you use the same two buttons for the airdash as if you wanted to do IAD j.mp?

I generally use the same buttons to airdash as i do in most combos (lp+mp) but for a very few rare combos i will use mp+hp. It mainly just depends on what i feel, feels better/easier to me. In the case if changing airdash buttons affecting my muscle memory, it doesnt usually happen since the new muscle memory is for a new combo or character. Kinda like my double muscle memory doesnt creep into my painwheel or parasoul muscle memory.

But, imho you should just do what feels best... Like if using lp+hp feels right to you... Then do it.

As Doubletapping buttons quickly feels a bit weird to me, I try to not Dash with the button I use to attack; so
LP+MP dash for IAD jHP
MP+HP dash for IAD jLP
Sadly, LP+HP feels super bad so I use LP+MP and MP+HP depending on whatever for IAD jMP

For kicks it's similar, I don't use the closest button, so
LP+MP for IAD jHK
MP+HP for IAD jLK
And either/or of those for IAD jMK

Really just play around with what feels most natural for you.

Use what works for you. You don't have to use the same input for everything.

Ugh, after a few evenings of "playing" (read: training mode and games against the AI) without a dash macro, I'm really starting to wonder if I'll ever be able to actually "play" the game again.

I can't hit two buttons close enough in time to please this game's input detection consistently. Which means I have absolutely no control of Val at all.

Fuck.

I really need to learn how to do airthrow conversions with Val.

I really need to learn how to do airthrow conversions with Val.

I found that counting the hits on the airthrow helped a lot with the timing. there's 5 small cuts, then the sixth/last hit that kicks them towards the ground.

Scalpels on the sixth > ADC jMK jHK + Assist into whatever conversion you want. For your team, pillar or copter should be fine, but pillar will be more scaling friendly.

There's a meterless conversion with dead cross and jMK but it's extremely hard to do imo.

Reactions: Cynical
I swear to fucking god, Peacock + Updo is fucking unbeatable if the Peacock player has decent execution. 10-0 vs. the entire rest of the cast.

Peacock gets three AAs, two of which also cover the ground in front of her, for zero commitment, while having two bombs on the ground. You can literally never even make her block unless she decides to do a stupid teleport.

Like, seriously, what the FUCK am I supposed to do about this? Countercall? Doesn't matter, the chip damage from Peacock stacks up too fast, point character dies long before you can make Filia bleed hard enough to take her out of the picture. Plus, you lose your only shot at an "in", because your assist is guaranteed to get locked out, so Peacock gets to start up the bullshit again. Jump forward and block? That's great, it accomplishes LITERALLY nothing other than getting some free chip damage because of lolitemdrop and lolhomingplane.

#Singleplayerfightinggame.