• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Another training diary that no one will read or care about

I swear to fucking god, Peacock + Updo is fucking unbeatable if the Peacock player has decent execution. 10-0 vs. the entire rest of the cast.

Peacock gets three AAs, two of which also cover the ground in front of her, for zero commitment, while having two bombs on the ground. You can literally never even make her block unless she decides to do a stupid teleport.

Like, seriously, what the FUCK am I supposed to do about this? Countercall? Doesn't matter, the chip damage from Peacock stacks up too fast, point character dies long before you can make Filia bleed hard enough to take her out of the picture. Plus, you lose your only shot at an "in", because your assist is guaranteed to get locked out, so Peacock gets to start up the bullshit again. Jump forward and block? That's great, it accomplishes LITERALLY nothing other than getting some free chip damage because of lolitemdrop and lolhomingplane.

#Singleplayerfightinggame.
literally. this is what you do. when the match starts you straight run up at her. THEN you bait and counter call with your H LNL or para pillar then reset

I have absolutely no idea how I can even improve any more.

Every single session is one of two things:
1. QM or Intermediate lobby, where I win basically every game with absolutely zero effort and learn nothing.
2. Expert lobby, where I go something like 0-10 with 10 perfects and learn absolutely nothing.

(that's not mentioning how completely fucked this game's input code is some times. Seriously, I hit HK + MP at start of round to get normal + plinked assist, and I get assist and c.lp?!?! What the everliving FUCK is this?!?!)

I can't play Peacock; my right hand doesn't have enough flexibility to hold down a kick button for an item drop and still be able to play.

I can't play Peacock; my right hand doesn't have enough flexibility to hold down a kick button for an item drop and still be able to play.
It's punch.

I can't play Peacock; my right hand doesn't have enough flexibility to hold down a punch button for an item drop and still be able to play.
You get used to it. You play on stick, right? M and H are the ones you're normally gonna wanna charge, so either middle finger on MP or ring finger on HP. From there you can hit L or M bombs with your thumb and call assist with either thumb on LK+middle finger on MP or thumb on LK+ring finger on HP. While charging M item you can hit HK with your ring finger in order to call the plane or do j.HK. Hitting HK while charging a HP item is sort of difficult but it's also kind of unusual that you would want to.

Alternately just don't charge items. Cisco never does, and he does okay.
Ugh. So frustrating.

Every single fucking player is just passing me by skill-wise. Back in the very first post of this thread, I used to be able to go roughly even against ElkyDori. Now? Now I can't even fucking take off 25% of one character. And that's pretty much how it is universally. ANYONE who I used to have good games against now just completely obliterates me with zero fucking effort.

So fucking tired of being plateaued and seeing absolutely no improvements; it's literally been about three months since any aspect of my game has improved even in the slightest. No idea how to improve beyond where I am now.

EDIT: And, once again demonstrating that I'm the absolute least talented player in all of Skullgirls, I got fucking MASSACRED by a player that has exactly 50 hours in game. Jesus fuck, why am I still trying?
This one's from a while back, but you can't gauge your progress by comparing yourself to other players like this. I used to beat Uzu for free and now he usually beats me, but that's because he got better, not because I got worse.

Unless you have a medical condition, I'm going to correct you here: It isn't that your right hand doesn't have enough flexibility, therefore you can't hold item drop and play. You haven't been playing while holding item drop for a while, therefore your hand doesn't have enough flexibility to do it. It takes practise, but that's all there is to it.

I've been noticing a trend of "I am not good, therefore I am bad" in your posts, a sense of resignation that you do not possess some mysterious quality that other people have that allow them to become better than you with equal amounts of experience. No-one is inherently good or bad at anything, not really. Some do have inherent talents, sometimes things just mesh well with their brain, but this is the exception, not the rule. Even if you do have raw talent, that can only get you so far. A prodigy can't just sit on his ass and expect to shit out high quality performance.

There have been studies done where they take gifted students who believe "I am intrinsically good at X(let's say, Maths)" vs completely average and below average students who believe "If I work hard I can become better at Maths". If both groups of students were given difficult math problems beyond their means, the "I am intrinsically good at maths" group are far more likely to give up than the group who believe "If I work hard I can become better at maths" group, and the second group got better results. There is no mysterious quality when it comes to git gud, it is all honest hard work and working towards learning.

Reactions: dMags
This one's from a while back, but you can't gauge your progress by comparing yourself to other players like this. I used to beat Uzu for free and now he usually beats me, but that's because he got better, not because I got worse.
If someone is improving faster than you and not playing significantly more, it means that there's either something wrong with what you're doing, or something wrong with you in terms of raw talent.

Unless you have a medical condition, I'm going to correct you here: It isn't that your right hand doesn't have enough flexibility, therefore you can't hold item drop and play. You haven't been playing while holding item drop for a while, therefore your hand doesn't have enough flexibility to do it. It takes practise, but that's all there is to it.
You're talking to someone who can't button dash consistently without a macro after three weeks of practice.

I can't get something THAT simple, and you think I can play with held items? Yeah, right.

I've been noticing a trend of "I am not good, therefore I am bad" in your posts, a sense of resignation that you do not possess some mysterious quality that other people have that allow them to become better than you with equal amounts of experience. No-one is inherently good or bad at anything, not really. Some do have inherent talents, sometimes things just mesh well with their brain, but this is the exception, not the rule. Even if you do have raw talent, that can only get you so far. A prodigy can't just sit on his ass and expect to shit out high quality performance.
There's no sense of cause-and-effect; no "I'm bad, ergo, I'm bad", since that would be awfully tautological. The statement is, rather, a simple "I'm awful". There's no way you can watch THIS shit (and I do mean shit) http://www.twitch.tv/pbacque/b/544036358 and say that I'm not fucking awful, even after six months and 500 hours.

(Sorry for the long delay between matches on the stream at one point; had to clean up broken glass after a bottle went flying across the room after a particularly infuriating match).

And research shows that people ARE inherently good or bad at things, and if you're inherently good at something, not only do you start ahead of the game, but you also improve at a MUCH faster rate; "rich get richer", so to speak. Listen to this: http://hatchetjob.libsyn.com/hj106-why-how-you-practice-affects-how-good-you-ll-get

There is no mysterious quality when it comes to git gud, it is all honest hard work and working towards learning.
My continued ability to lose horribly to people with less than half of my experience is one hell of a counterexample.

I fought against you with Peacock some in Quickmatch. My Peacock is not very good. I.. won.
For someone who has this many issues with the character, your toolset in fighting her is.. rather questionable?

Neither your Parasoul nor your Bella did anything of the basic tools;
No Reflect, no Armor usage at all, no Bike, no Bike-Sniper, no H.Tearshot Dashdownback Detonate, not even dashjump j.HP;
I even did a midrange raw Argus which you blocked -where I couldn't DHC and which was not covered by an Item Drop- and you decided to take the chip+pushback instead of Snipering after the Laser to get the full combo conversion.

There's more where that came from; eg you started every single round with s.HK + LnL call, even after I punished you twice for doing so; you NEVER baited anything but always reset into *something* even after getting Pillared five times in a row; etc

Going by that, without knowing anything else, I'd wager your issue is that your playtime is not actually improving you at all, for no reason other than your faulty mindset.
You lose to a Peacock, and instead of going "Mhh Peacock did X and I got hit trying to do Y, let me try Z next time", you go "Wow Peacock is bullshit" and keep doing Y.

You aren't really watching what the opponent does or why you get hit, you just autopilot the same things permanently, and if it doesn't work, the opponent's character is OP / you will never become good / whatever.

Last edited:
@IsaVulpes I have the matches you're talking about recorded in the link in the post above you.

I won't talk about the first one, because I won and your Peacock never actually faced my Para or Bella.

First let's look at about 7 minutes. It's not "five pillars in a row"; it's one pillar on a reset, and one pillar in neutral after a combo drop. Then, the blocked Argus. Why didn't I sniper it? Oh yeah, I DIDN'T HAVE ANY METER.

Then why wasn't I armoring once Bella came in? Because one absorbed hit would have killed me instantly.

Then fast-forward to 25:26, to our next game.

The VERY FUCKING FIRST pillar reversal you do? Gets baited, just can't be punished because of bikes. 26:45? Dash jump j.hp, THE EXACT THING YOU CLAIM I NEVER DO. 27:30 - 28:00; how many more armored moves do you want to see?!?!

And then go to our last game, at a bit past 30 minutes. In the previous game, you punished the s.hk ~ call LnL -> Dead Cross (btw, at least in recorded matches, you never punished it twice in a row). I do it again this game, and what do you know -- I get the better of it. What, should I let myself get scared off of any option after it doesn't work one time?

And you claim that I don't watch what my opponent is doing?!?! Pot, kettle, black.

I think we had faced each other a couple times before I turned on the stream, so that would explain it.

My word that's a lot of exclamation points and capital letters.

Reactions: ImAnOmen
If someone is improving faster than you and not playing significantly more, it means that there's either something wrong with what you're doing, or something wrong with you in terms of raw talent.

There's something wrong with what you're doing, I guarantee you. Unless you somehow believe that you have PERFECT LEARNING SKILLS that are COMPLETELY FLAWLESS and that the only reason you are not learning is because you are fundamentally shit on a genetic level, there is no reason to believe that your lack of raw talent is the reason you are not improving as fast as you would like.

I can't get something THAT simple, and you think I can play with held items? Yeah, right.

The statement is, rather, a simple "I'm awful". There's no way you can watch THIS shit (and I do mean shit) http://www.twitch.tv/pbacque/b/544036358 and say that I'm not fucking awful, even after six months and 500 hours.

My continued ability to lose horribly to people with less than half of my experience is one hell of a counterexample.

I used to be exactly this bad at SF4 in 2009

Watch, and laugh.

And this was after a few years of playing 3S/KoF/Garou once they were available to play online with emulators. I sure had those "years" of experience... I certainly was playing... But I didn't know shit, and I didn't know how to properly improve, therefore I wasn't improving.

And I did not improve significantly for years, until I started going to my local fgc meetups starting late 2011-early 2012.

If you looked at that footage, and I told you that I had been playing fighting games for years beforehand, then some might say that I was just naturally shit at fighting games, and I should just stop because other people have had similar amounts of experience and were way better.

One very fateful day, I was talking to a friend of mine who played 3S, and said that I would probably stick to Alex in 3S because I wanted to play Makoto but my execution is not good enough. He said "The only thing holding you back is what you're telling yourself in your head. You won't get better execution if you believe that you can't get better execution." Paraphrasing heavily, but that was the jist of it. I stopped playing 3S because lolno scene, but that's beside the point.

The lesson still stayed with me, and when I was met with an execution challenge, I put in the work. I can do combos that I thought were physically impossible for me to do, simply by putting in a lot of practise, like K's HD combo in KoF13, which required literal weeks of grinding for me. Magneto's fake ROM in UMVC3, quite difficult, required several weeks grinding. I grinded. I can now do it.

Your claims of "I'm awful" being a fact are not held up by the vast majority of people I've seen go from "complete shitcunt scrub" to "Competent FG player", including heaps of people in the Aus SG Community, and myself.

Suck it up princess, acknowledge that you are the only one holding yourself back with your defeatist attitude, and re-evaluate your whole learning process. There's a lot of resources out there that can help you outside of fighting game stuff, and if you'd like I can point you towards some of them.

You want consistent dashes without a macro? Fucking spend half an hour EVERY NIGHT grinding that shit until you get it down. That's what I do with shit I can't do. Eventually you'll start getting more consistent with it.

Reactions: dMags and mcpeanuts
http://www.twitch.tv/pbacque/b/544911341

1hr 39 mins.

Seriously, WTF can I do about this shit? The answer is LITERALLY NOTHING. If Peacock guesses right on one single reset, she's back at full screen, and you've got to make another 500 right guesses because of her one correct guess. Oh, and she's outdamaging you 2 to 1 because lol Peacock is fair.

Oh, and LOL @ Reflect, which recovers so slowly that ON HIT, all it does is give Peacock a free teleport. What a great solution to zoning!

It's doubly funny that she's in a game designed by a guy who bitched endlessly about Nu from BlazBlue. Except Nu couldn't rekka her anti-air projectile and anti-ground projectile ON WHIFF! Unlike Peacock, she (and literally EVERY OTHER ZONING CHARACTER IN FIGHTING GAME HISTORY) had to make a commitment to anti-air or anti ground! And that was in a game where most characters had better mobility than ANY Skullgirls character!

Last edited:
git gud
Yeah, I'll "git gud" at making my opponent fuck up a single-player game, right?

Because that's LITERALLY what Peacock is -- a way to turn the game into a single-player game. Get full-screen (which you get for free in several ways, anyways), then just do "car bomb, plane bomb, item drop, call assist, car bomb, plane bomb, item drop, s.hp" at the right timing, and you win! It's DDR disguised as a multi-player game.

1:39:44 is exactly what you should do. Doublejump over plane, ignore Item Drop because you can just run under it, free in.
P.S. Not a single Bypass xx Knives the entire time, despite plenty of gaps in the zoning patterns

1:40:19 is a prime example for Reflect being godlike, but then instead of reflecting the plane as well, which would give you a free Dash-TitanKnuckle and thus an easy approach after the sliding knockdown, you block the plane, getting nothing.. and that's the fault of Reflect?

1:40:23 is s.HP xx Teleport on prediction to your Reflect (p.s. Peacock can't do this if you reflect ANY other move), and she can't even punish it. Shit, Peacock reads you like a book and still doesn't get to punish you for doing what she KNEW you would do -- what a bad tool?

Then there's things like 1:40:27 where you jump forward, knowing she's charging a doom, get to full jump height and just get hit anyway. What were you doing there? You can't be THAT slow at going to "Back" after Jumping Forward?

1:40:45 is Para landing a CH j.HP and not getting anything out of it, that should NEVER happen. DASH.
After that you get a happy birthday and do a Tearshot instead of a Doublesnap. Then you do a random j.HP at a terrible height, where it actually just whiffs so Peacock gets rewarded for doing a raw Argus.

Not using the tools you have at all, not using them well, not converting when you land hits. None of this is Peacock's fault.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
1:39:44 is exactly what you should do. Doublejump over plane, ignore Item Drop because you can just run under it, free in.
The reason that worked is because he fucked up the input on his first item drop and got s.hp instead. Had the done the input correctly, item drop would have hit when I was moving the stick forward for the double jump (in fact, you can see this happen about two seconds before this).

Like I said, the only way to win is Peacock screws up the single-player game about 50 million times in a row.

1:40:19 is a prime example for Reflect being godlike, but then instead of reflecting the plane as well, which would have gotten you hit by the assist call
FTFY.

Then there's things like 1:40:27 where you jump forward, knowing she's charging a doom, get to full jump height and just get hit anyway. What were you doing there? You can't be THAT slow at going to "Back" after Jumping Forward?
Read what I said earlier about double-jumping.

Peacock is oppressive, no doubt about that. I personally hate the MU because no matter win or lose, it is just generally unfun.

That said, you did make some critical errors. The two I'm specifically talking about are both combo drops. They might have been resets, but they definitely looked dropped. The first with Val was crucial because you had an opportunity to put on a lot of damage. The second with Parasoul was worse because it was a happy birthday opportunity.

I generally agree with your sentiment. She's an unfun match up that relies on a Peacock fuck up to generally confirm (at least the first time). That said, small things like dropping combos, missing happy birthdays, etc. are going to make it far more awful than it should be.

I hope this doesn't sound too critical as I drop combos, miss happy birthdays, etc. myself - I'm just trying to help from experience.

Yeah, I'll "git gud" at making my opponent fuck up a single-player game, right?

Because that's LITERALLY what Peacock is -- a way to turn the game into a single-player game. Get full-screen (which you get for free in several ways, anyways), then just do "car bomb, plane bomb, item drop, call assist, car bomb, plane bomb, item drop, s.hp" at the right timing, and you win! It's DDR disguised as a multi-player game.

Become proficient at the game.

Peacock is oppressive, no doubt about that. I personally hate the MU because no matter win or lose, it is just generally unfun.

That said, you did make some critical errors. The two I'm specifically talking about are both combo drops. They might have been resets, but they definitely looked dropped. The first with Val was crucial because you had an opportunity to put on a lot of damage. The second with Parasoul was worse because it was a happy birthday opportunity.

I generally agree with your sentiment. She's an unfun match up that relies on a Peacock fuck up to generally confirm (at least the first time). That said, small things like dropping combos, missing happy birthdays, etc. are going to make it far more awful than it should be.

I hope this doesn't sound too critical as I drop combos, miss happy birthdays, etc. myself - I'm just trying to help from experience.
The Val "drop" WAS a reset; watch the facing, it's a crossunder. Val basically has to reset on her second jump at midscreen, because her only other options end with either full undizzy or Peacock at full screen again.

The Parasoul one, there's nothing I could have done about. Snap from down back and tear shot are overlapping inputs; I have no control over which the game decides to give me (there's a reason why basically every fighting game ever other than this one tries to avoid putting charge and QCF inputs on the same character that use the same button).

@ClarenceMage , do you have anything actually useful to say, or should I just put you on ignore?

The reason that worked is because he fucked up the input on his first item drop and got s.hp instead. Had the done the input correctly, item drop would have hit when I was moving the stick forward for the double jump (in fact, you can see this happen about two seconds before this).
I don't know what "2 seconds before this" is, but there is not a single time where your Val gets hit out of the air by an Item Drop before my timestamp.

1:39:36 - Get hit by Item Drop as you're on the ground
1:39:38 - Block Item Drop on the ground
1:39:44 - Get hit by Item Drop as you're on the ground
1:39:45 - Avoid Item Drop by Running

Like I said, the only way to win is Peacock screws up the single-player game about 50 million times in a row.
I'll just leave a picture here:
3f4gphsh.jpg

- Parasoul meatshields you with her assist leave animation
- Two grounded projectiles are about to hit her
- Shadow is on cooldown (it just hit you)
- Plane is not even on screen

Jump Bypass Knives gives you a free full combo here.
Actually, you can probably just wait a bit and then run (or dashjump instead of waiting), as both ground controlling projectiles are gonna hit Parasoul and there is nothing stopping you from advancing on the ground.

Instead, you do a jump forward doublejump, get over Plane, which also is fine, I guess.
Now instead of AirDashing (using what Valentine got!), you fall flat to the ground, land on a George, are put into Blockstun, Doom puts you in further blockstun, you run into an s.HP etc

FTFY.
Oh right, my bad
9gewkkan.jpg

This is the first reflect

By the time the second reflect had come, the opponent's Bella would have recovered from the Stagger and restarted her LnL (Assists do that! Probably!) and punched you out of it.

Dang.

Read what I said earlier about double-jumping.
Valentine can do things that Bella can't and vice-versa.

@ClarenceMage , do you have anything actually useful to say, or should I just put you on ignore?

In case you forgot to read my very long post about your frame of mind in this thread, I will link it to you

Don't just ignore this. I didn't spend time writing it for nothing.

Peacock does not instantly win the game. Peacock+Updo does not in fact 10-0 the entire cast for no effort. One of my local players uses that exact team, though now he's added Eliza to it, and I found it challenging to deal with until I figured out how to play against it better, especially with Valentine's ability to go OVER all of Peacock's bombs, run underneath others, bypass between bombs, all combined with patience.

Except, matchup specific information won't help you at all. That is not your flaw. Your lack of game knowledge and ability to implement it is not your most crucial failing as a player. It is a symptom, not the disease. You should not be mad that you don't win. You should be mad that you don't learn, and that your shitty attitude is keeping you from learning.

Your most crucial failing as a player is an inability to truly see your own flaws, to blame everything else on your failures, at least everything that doesn't involve acknowledging that YOU make mistakes and that YOU can improve and learn.

You would rather blame some mysterious "inherent weakness" for the reason you are bad at the game. You would rather blame the game for being poorly designed and completely unfair to play against, even when you are playing the other character(Valentine) who creates horrible matchups for other characters.

This is something you can fix. This is an attitude problem, this is a perspective problem, this is a matter of learning to think differently.

This is possible. This is not only possible, but it's the absolute most important change you MUST make if you want to git gud.

Is that first part relevant? It seems like you ignore people regardless of whether or not they have anything useful to say.

The Parasoul one, there's nothing I could have done about. Snap from down back and tear shot are overlapping inputs; I have no control over which the game decides to give me
For one, you mistime the special terribly, doing it before the 2nd s.HP actually connected. This shouldn't happen, is nobody's but your own fault, and could quite possibly screw your combo up.

For two, there is absolutely zero fucking reason to be charging here, as you're doing a full combo (j.HP - c.LK c.MK s.HPx2) and you should know latest by the c.LK that you're gonna snap, so stop holding downback/back.

For three, this is just factually wrong. [1]236MP+MK will ALWAYS give you the snap. MP~MK won't necessarily, but again - this is you fucking up inputs, practice?
E: Actually I just tested, [1]236MP~MK is also a Snap. The only way for Tearshot to come out is if you input [1]23MP~MK6, which would be a Double-Fuckup and kind of deserved.

As a sidenote, you're not even doing MP Tearshot.. well, maybe you're snapping with HP+HK, I can't differentiate LP and HP Tearshot like that, so I'll let it pass.

Last edited:
I can easily tell you that my Peacock is not very good. I autopilot a lot with the bombs that I use, and if I make an adjustment to my opponent's approach when they get closer, more often than not, it's too late for me and I have to hope that Bomber would save me.

In general, when I played against you, I felt that you just let me rock and do whatever the heck I want. You don't bother to look for gaps in my bomb patterns (IsaVulpes pointed those out already), and, when you do have the momentum in your hands, you more than often screw it up somehow or by going for the same grab reset at the *exact* same point in the combo almost every *single* time (as Valentine anyways).

You don't have a game plan, you just go jumping around armed with some normal depending on your character, maybe call an assist to back you up, and you hope that it hits. If it doesn't, you try again. Maybe you try to grab this time. This is really evident later on in the archive, where you already killed my Peacock, but you were still having trouble. Eventually, it was just down to your Bella, and I actually won by a timeout because you had trouble opening me up or just approaching me in general.

Also, you really need to stop blaming the game for your lack of executional prowess. What you *think* you did and what you *actually* did can be two very different things. Getting instant Run Stop instead of Diamond Drop in your tick attempt? That's because you missed the down forward portion, and you just so happened to have a charge as well because you were holding down back.

But above all else, your biggest problem is your attitude. Stop blaming some other sources for your lack of improvement. It's not Peacock, it's not the game's "broken input code". You only have yourself to blame for your lack of improvement. I'm not trying to insult you, because this pretty much applies to ANYONE if they want to get better in fighting games. Identify your weaknesses, and work on them so that they're no longer weaknesses.

That's all I have to say, so good day sir.

That's all I have to say, so good day sir.

I lied. There's something else I want to mention.

I don't main Peacock. I main Parasoul. Rather than complain about the matchup as a Parasoul player, I played Peacock so I can understand her weaknesses and understand the character more in general (I also find Peacock pretty fun to play). That decision *definitely* helped me in the long run, because I can apply what I've learned to all of the characters that I actually play whenever I face a Peacock. (Am I the only one who finds fighting a Peacock even as Parasoul fun?)

I'm not necessarily saying you should play Peacock, but at the very least understand the character. Like every character in the game, she has weaknesses. It's up to you to adapt and git gud.

In case you forgot to read my very long post about your frame of mind in this thread, I will link it to you

Don't just ignore this. I didn't spend time writing it for nothing.
I didn't ignore it; I was referring to your two two-word posts that followed it.

But that post... what am I supposed to take from it? All it is is anecdotes (well, and a video that's supposedly bad play of SF4; since I don't play SF4, I can't tell whether it's bad or not, but I'll take your word for it). I mean, yeah, you were able to learn to execute hard stuff. I'VE BEEN GRINDING BUTTON AIRDASHES NIGHTLY FOR OVER THREE WEEKS, AND STILL CAN'T DO IAD J.HP CONSISTENTLY.

I mean, we're not talking something hard to do here. We're talking the absolute basics; shit that everyone else to ever play Val gets in about two minutes and never messes up again.

With that piece of evidence in mind, what conclusion am I supposed to come to other than "I'm naturally fucking awful at this"?

And, hell, if I'm struggling with basics on one character, how on EARTH is trying to learn another character and adding even more basics to the pile of shit that I can't do a good idea?

(Oh, and being angry that I can't win and being angry that I can't learn are simply two heads of the same hydra, and can't be separated as separate things).

@IsaVulpes : thanks for the vid analysis. I appreciate it.

@mcpeanuts : how would you know if the first part is relevant, given that all you ever seem to post is "witty" (note, there's scare quotes there for a reason) one-liners?

Shit that's just too damn long
TBH peacock isn't a problem unless they're running bomber. the main idea is push peacock to the corner. which with val its easy. there are multiple ways but i don't main val. its even easier with filia tbh

"I'm naturally fucking awful at this"

Everyone is naturally awful at everything until they learn how to not be so shit at it. Your insistence that you are naturally awful and therefore can't learn how to not be shit is holding you back from becoming not so shit at it.

An excerpt from Josh Waitzkin's "The Art of Learning", a book I heavily recommend:

The Art of Learning said:
Dr. Carol Dweck, a leading researcher in the field of developmental psychology, makes the distinction between entity and incremental theories of intelligence. Children who are “entity theorists” - that is, kids who have been influenced by their parents and teachers to think in this manner - are prone to use language like “I am smart at this” and to attribute their success or failure to an ingrained and unalterable level of ability. They see their overall intelligence or skill level at a certain discipline to be a fixed entity, a thing that cannot evolve. Incremental theorists, who have picked up a different modality of learning - let’s call them learning theorists - are more prone to describe their results with sentences like “I got it because I worked very hard at it” or “I should have tried harder.” A child with a learning theory of intelligence tends to sense that with hard work, difficult material can be grasped - step by step, incrementally, the novice can become the master.

These mentalities of "Entity" vs "Incremental" intelligence have been studied extensively. Naturally gifted children who have "Entity" theory of intelligence won't improve nearly as much as below average children with "Incremental" theory of intelligence. Naturally gifted children who believed their abilities were innate would give up far sooner at difficult tasks than below average children who believed they could overcome a problem with hard work. The below average children tend to be more successful. This extends to fighting games.

Work harder.

Last edited:
Piggy backing on what Clarence said, there is a lot of evidence to support the belief that innate ability only plays a small role at the start and it is sheer time at practice that separates the great from the rest.

The easiest/best solution for the AntiPeacock stuff would be to go into training mode, Record Peacock doing Hirokuni's pattern, and figuring out how to move in against it.
He's not charging Doom for the fullscreen part, so even if you had some weird difficulty with that, it wouldn't matter.

You'd mentioned feeling like you didn't know how/where to improve, and I noticed a few things from your lobby with Elky last night:

• Practice your Val dash-jump air links and integrate them into your combos so you a) don't drop things and b) get the maximum carry you can. I'd really recommend practicing a different val combo as well so you can get a fullscreen carry if you need it.
  • If you confirm your jab, jump-in, or cLK, try to avoid using cMP/sMP or cMK before the cHP launch unless it's absolutely necessary.
  • Practice Val conversions from assists. You dropped quite a few that could've won games, and I think a lot of it stems from trying to use the wrong move to pick up from the assist knockdown at different stages of the pillar knockdown. If you confirm the Pillar (or any assist hit) it's just like tennis; run as much as you can before you stretch to reach it. You will be amazed at how much easier it is to just run and hit them with sLP cHP or cLK cHP as opposed to running and trying to pick up with cMK or sMP.
  • Practice varying how many hits of jMP you do in your combos and learn to recognize what that enables. A lot of the advanced setups really require knowing how to use jMP(2) or jMP(3) to create more optimal links or set up reset opportunities. You almost always use a single hit of jMP which seems more intuitive for scaling, but actually does limit Val a lot.
Hope this helps, and good luck. <3

Watched it and observed what your Bella was doing. Diamond reflect is good for some giggles but I'd advice using Cerebella's main anti-Peacock tool which is the armoured run and its follow-ups.

Tumbling run into battle butt, tumbling run into showstopper, tumbling run into run stop into diamond drop/merry-go-rilla, tumbling run into run stop into tumbling run into whatever. That's the kind of thing that keeps Peacocks on their toes.

Saying this both as a Cerebella who wins with Peacocks and as a Peacock who knows what made the Cerebellas that won with him win.

You'd mentioned feeling like you didn't know how/where to improve, and I noticed a few things from your lobby with Elky last night:

• Practice your Val dash-jump air links and integrate them into your combos so you a) don't drop things and b) get the maximum carry you can. I'd really recommend practicing a different val combo as well so you can get a fullscreen carry if you need it.
Can you explain this one? I though that the Val combos everyone did since Encore used a regular rejump instead of the dash rejumps?

(I've never been able to figure out how to do the land-dash stuff in combos...)

Can you explain this one? I though that the Val combos everyone did since Encore used a regular rejump instead of the dash rejumps?

(I've never been able to figure out how to do the land-dash stuff in combos...)

jHP adc jMP(2) jHP land dash jLP

I used to do dashjump combos but they're just too damn finnicky for my tastes, just do c.HP delay j.HP adf delay j.MP (3) j.HP, (c.HP if heavy) j.HK adf j.MK delay j.HP, THEN j.LP j.MP j.HP. Does more damage anyway.

I used to do dashjump combos but they're just too damn finnicky for my tastes, just do c.HP delay j.HP adf delay j.MP (3) j.HP, (c.HP if heavy) j.HK adf j.MK delay j.HP, THEN j.LP j.MP j.HP. Does more damage anyway.
The jHP jMP(3) jHP jHK etc. combo is really good, and what I'd recommend working towards.