• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beast's Fury Kickstarter is Live!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only one of the Monster devs was still working on it, this was like 2 years ago I think. It pretty much died in the water as far as I can see.

Well if that's the case, then that's too bad. I guess if the Beast's Fury team even makes it that far, they could consider themselves lucky.

I'm actually kinda surprised how few non-MUGEN fighting game series there are with a mainly anthro cast. Sonic the Fighters must be right in the top 5.

I went and asked some questions to I guess the guy running the Kickstarter.
Zidiane said:
What happened to the last 20k you guys raised? I thought that was supposed to cover Don, Vincent, and Matilda? Why is Matilda gonna cost 105k now? Why isn't at least Vincent done already? Why did you start working on Don before Matilda?
Ryhan Stevens said:
The money went towards finishing Vincent and starting Don, however, labor costs were ultimately higher than we expected. An unfortunate set back cost us time and money.

About Matilda, her written work was done, but her animation and programming was never started when the funds dried up.

As for costing more now, she still costs roughly 28000 USD, but is higher on the rewards list due to arrangements made with Maximilian.

We hope this answers your question and that you still choose to support the project
Zidiane said:
I'm still confused.

Why did you guys initially think 20k would be enough for three characters? And how doI know that what you say it'll cost now is what it'll cost now, and that you won't start another one if your funds somehow run dry again?

And what's the deal with Maximillian? I know who he is, but what deal did you make that he gets more priority then the character you guys said you'd finish second? You didn't mention him, that I saw, in the campaign or the video aside from featuring his character design.

On Vincent, in the video it looked like he still had not-finished animations. And he's on the list for being finished at 45k. Is he done or not? If he's not finished, why didn't you guys finish one character at a time, why do work on three characters before any of them were finished?

Also, is it really the best idea for you guys to be going all out for fancy insta-kill finishers (that look like you'll have to animate new frames for with each new character you add)? That really seems like an unnecessary luxury. It looked cool, don't get me wrong, and Don is just too cool, and he is what makes me want to support you guys, but I'm worried putting big flashishers (flashy finishers) in for all these characters before they're even finished might ruin your funds again.

Also, final question that isn't really mine but I saw asked somewhere. Is there hitstop in this game? Couldn't find footage of people fighting, but someone was under the impression that there was none. I'm assuming he's wrong, cause what game wouldn't have hitstop, but just wanted to double check.
Ryhan Stevens said:
I'll try and answer as sufficiently as I can, and I appreciate your questions as they are very valid concerns a fan would have.

The amount we were quoted for the first time around was what we thought it would cost. However, as we progressed, it turned out we had new animations to add as well as revisions to go over, as well as retiming to do for the Vincent, as he was animated at 24 FPS instead of the desired 30 FPS. This was a flaw not caught in very early design when he was initially being animated. A fault all our own, and an issue we're rectifying. The entire process has been a learning experience. None of us have actually attempted -making- a fighting game before, as such, we're doing our best, and we've learned a lot along the way.

The exact deal with Maximilian cannot be disclosed, but his aid is invaluable to us, and as such, we're proceeding as we are to try and help him as much as he's helping us. Regardless of when we get the funding to add Benny to the game, him and Matilda will ultimately be free to play in the Demo release (Albeit with a longer wait time than normal if we don't reach their funding goals).

Vincent -and- Don are both listed as the 45,000. Vincent is nearly done and will be ready almost immediately with full time work; as for Don, a majority of his work is still needing done. However, as you said, it was silly of us to get more work done on other characters rather than focusing solely on finishing Vincent. Yet at the same time, Fans have received Don very well and much of the support we have is for him solely at the moment. From this point on however, our work will go solely into one character until its 100%, and that's a promise.

The Ultimate Finishers are an integral part of our appeal in Beast's Fury. They may seem like a luxury, but they're also necessary for drawing in players who enjoy flashiness. However, as I said before, a character won't be finished until after all opponents have been drawn receiving the attack to guarantee their 100% completion. The Ultimate Finishers are part of the price quotes.

There is hit stun in attacks, yes.

Please ask as many questions as you want, we'll try to answer them to the best of our abilities.
Can't really think of any other questions I want to ask. Anyone else got any I could throw at him?

Can't really think of any other questions I want to ask. Anyone else got any I could throw at him?
The only question I would ask them at this point is if they are planning to update their IGG backers about this. As of writing there is nothing on IGG to indicate that the funds have dried up and if it weren't for this thread, I would never have known about this (I am one of their IGG backers). I think their IGG backers have the rights to know.

Bloody Roar???
I'm not even sure I'd count Bloody Roar, since the fighting animal portion is really kind of optional. It's more like what...Therianthro/Zoanthro? It still has the coolest Leopard-woman in video games though!

But yeah, back to this game, after reading Zid's conversation, I'm really not convinced that these guys have learned to budget properly. The fact that Ryhan considers the Ultimate Finishers as an "integral" part of the product is already silly. Even if he decides to keep them, he could still consider more cost effective ways of handling them, such as using more still images, or just making the whole sequence fewer frames.

If Labzero had a choice, their ideal numbers would be around $300k per character, and that's without ultra flashy supers. That makes sense just based on the number of hours this stuff requires. There's no way Ryhan's going to pull in quality full-time work with less than a third of that budget in $AUD's. He's dooming the project to end up in this position all over again.

Max is hype.
He didn't mention their past funding sessions, though. Don't know how I feel about that.
But yeah, back to this game, after reading Zid's conversation, I'm really not convinced that these guys have learned to budget properly. The fact that Ryhan considers the Ultimate Finishers as an "integral" part of the product is already silly. Even if he decides to keep them, he could still consider more cost effective ways of handling them, such as using more still images, or just making the whole sequence fewer frames.
Ehhh... they're really trying to make just a demo, so they can sell it to a company that can fully fund them. I think they want to make the game as flashy as possible for that goal. Which I get, but, I would much prefer these finishers to be stretch goals at the very most.

There are so many things about this game and the way its campaigns have been handled that I don't like. And it's a pity - I'd love nothing more than to see an Australian developer make a high-quality fighting game.

He didn't mention their past funding sessions, though. Don't know how I feel about that.
This is one of my main gripes, actually. A lot of the other stuff can be put down to inexperience, but the fact that this is their fourth bite of the cherry and they've already had a successful campaign once (and blown the money) only to not mention it at all on the Kickstarter page just seems dishonest.

Worse, they don't seem to think (or aren't willing to admit) that there's a real possibility that they'll break the buget again. In the risks section, they just say "our only real issue would time constraints" (EDIT: replaced with actual quote).

Ehhh... they're really trying to make just a demo
Nope. From the KS page:
Everyone on this project has the motivation and drive to make sure that the game becomes its absolute best, and will be supported and socially promoted to its best even after we finish the final product, and not just a demonstration.

Without reading too far into things and simply glancing, it sounds like a classic case of grossly underestimating the cost to produce a high-quality fighting game.

Nope. From the KS page:
That sounds like it's saying "we'll continue to support it after the project is completed, beyond the demo". As in, if they can get funded by a company and make the game they envision, they'll continue to support it. Cause I can't imagine them working for years in their free time to get the game done if a company doesn't bite for the demo. I'm imagining them either slowly dropping the project or... worst case scenario, starting another funding campaign. If it takes them a year to get done with three partially complete characters, how long is it going to take them to get the rest of the game out? And if they don't have money to pay for voice actors or contractors (which they don't)? I just don't know, the project altogether (and the team, I guess, by extension) seems weird to me.

I'm unsure whether he understood the hitstop question. It is clear there isn't any just yet from the video, hoping there will be soon, though...

The only question I would ask them at this point is if they are planning to update their IGG backers about this. As of writing there is nothing on IGG to indicate that the funds have dried up and if it weren't for this thread, I would never have known about this (I am one of their IGG backers). I think their IGG backers have the rights to know.
I sent the question, but they haven't updated their page yet (or answered me). It's only been a few hours, but they've had time I guess to post an update about Max's video. I get paranoid easy, so I'm probably wrong, but I can't help but feel like they're ducking the question, and may flat out avoid letting their IGG backers know... but that's probably stupid. For them to get enough money to succeed they need people to know, and if people know then some of them have to be the IGG backers. So... maybe... I don't know...
I'm unsure whether he understood the hitstop question. It is clear there isn't any just yet from the video, hoping there will be soon, though...
Which video was it? I didn't see it when I looked around. There was the one on their kickstarter, but I didn't see anyone attacking anyone.

I sent the question, but they haven't updated their page yet (or answered me). It's only been a few hours, but they've had time I guess to post an update about Max's video. I get paranoid easy, so I'm probably wrong, but I can't help but feel like they're ducking the question, and may flat out avoid letting their IGG backers know... but that's probably stupid. For them to get enough money to succeed they need people to know, and if people know then some of them have to be the IGG backers. So... maybe... I don't know...

Which video was it? I didn't see it when I looked around. There was the one on their kickstarter, but I didn't see anyone attacking anyone.
It's 9 AM in Melbourne/Sydney right now, give them time.

Skip to about 40, there are a few moments with obvious hitstun/sounds and a (grey, what) hitspark. No hitstop though

It's 9 AM in Melbourne/Sydney right now, give them time.
Oh yeah, time zones.

Maybe they should have had a demo up and running before doing a campaign to let players get a feel and see if they like it. Then if it manages to become a big hit a crowd funding could have been more successful.

Youtube commenters said:
"This looks like a decent competitor to Skullgirls." and one quality gem such as ">Only 4 characters

Sorry, if your game has less characters than SKULLGIRLS of all games, I cant spend money on it."
Alot of parallels to Skullgirls in the comment section. Other Youtube comments include furry hate, so I won't even touch on that.
Also, my question to the Beast's Fury people is about the story. I want to know what the storyline is if there is one.
I hope there's one, or else I'm never backing. I may or may not back five or ten US dollars if they can accept that.

Forgot how much I hate leaving Youtube comments.

"If you don't like how things are going with Beast's Fury? Fine. You don't like it. Life moves on. Don't moan and groan about it. Nobody's forcing you to put money towards this, and quite frankly, as much as they would like the financial support, at the end of the day, the dev team won't give a damn. Why? Cuz you're only one person, compared to who-knows-how-many are going to be supporting this game, regardless of if they have the money to do so or not."

Aimed at me after I said the dev team should have really found out how much things were going to cost before asking for money the first (third?) time.

Maybe they should have had a demo up and running before doing a campaign to let players get a feel and see if they like it. Then if it manages to become a big hit a crowd funding could have been more successful.
The problem here with many kickstarters is that they don't have the money to make the initial demo, so they need to kickstart for it. Kickstarter won't be successful unless people are convinced it's good by playing a demo.

That is the main issue a lot of devs have when going the crowdfunding route. They need money to start the thing, but they can't get the money until they have a working product.

Forgot how much I hate leaving Youtube comments.

"If you don't like how things are going with Beast's Fury? Fine. You don't like it. Life moves on. Don't moan and groan about it. Nobody's forcing you to put money towards this, and quite frankly, as much as they would like the financial support, at the end of the day, the dev team won't give a damn. Why? Cuz you're only one person, compared to who-knows-how-many are going to be supporting this game, regardless of if they have the money to do so or not."

Aimed at me after I said the dev team should have really found out how much things were going to cost before asking for money the first (third?) time.
They shouldn't be so damn dickish! They should check themselves before they wreck themselves.
On Beast's Fury, I've been pretty spoiled by the Z-Engine that I actually don't like their Unity engine. It just feels cheap to me, but since their indie (I think), they should go cheap with the engine as long as they have a quality game beyond their engine.
I also have another question about mirror fights. Will they prevent the same colors when two people chose the same color the way Skullgirls does?

It's sad that independent fighting games have to ride off max's fanboys LMAO.

on-topic: game looks somewhat cool, the characters are definitely interesting.

Reactions: WrestlerGuile
I've been pretty spoiled by the Z-Engine that I actually don't like their Unity engine. It just feels cheap to me, but since their indie (I think), they should go cheap with the engine as long as they have a quality game beyond their engine.

dude, the engine has nothing to do with how cheap a game feels, unity is used in all sorts of AAA projects...

dude, the engine has nothing to do with how cheap a game feels, unity is used in all sorts of AAA projects...
I think it looks cheap cause of the animations. They just don't look quite right. At least on Vincent and Matilda. If it wasn't for Don, I'd have ZERO interest in it off the animations alone.

I think it looks cheap cause of the animations.

The animations look cheap because they aren't done yet. I'm not sure what you're expecting from pre alpha footage.

The animations look cheap because they aren't done yet. I'm not sure what you're expecting from pre alpha footage.
Vincent's idle isn't done? Even if it isn't, the way they move really does not appeal to me. The knees, the head movement, the hair, the hand positions. The way they're having character move gets on my nerves.

I see :P::P::P:. so that means the game uses 3 punches and 3 kicks?

So with 45.000k they can finish two characters with a lot of moves in 3 months with external animators?

Previous Breakdown
upload_2014-5-21_20-0-58.png
New Breakdown
upload_2014-5-21_20-2-58.png
Was this their actual breakdown? Why the hell they didn't show this on their Kickstarter?
Also, Matilda has her own stage concept art. It actually royally pisses me off that Benny is getting more priority than someone backers were promised, someone who's integral to the story, and already has a stage designed, and I see that their money is being used on story art(I think), but I think they should provide characters before providing story and worrying about that part later.

Previous Breakdown New Breakdown Was this their actual breakdown? Why the hell they didn't show this on their Kickstarter?
Also, Matilda has her own stage concept art. It actually royally pisses me off that Benny is getting more priority than someone backers were promised, someone who's integral to the story, and already has a stage designed, and I see that their money is being used on story art(I think), but I think they should provide characters before providing story and worrying about that part later.
That "new breakdown" is accounting for more money than they're asking for to finish Matilda.

It feels like they are basically trying to do damage control, since people who find out about it would more likely be fans who keep up with their development frequently anyway and are less likely to give them a hard time about it. Causal backers who only follow their progress via IGG updates would never find out that their funding (to be perfectly honest) has been mismanaged.

Whatever their reasoning is, it's extremely dishonest for them to gloss this issue over and I'd encourage everyone I know not to back them until they've fully disclosed their situation to people who gave them money.

So not only does this animation take forever to finish, they're low budget and blowing all of their money and time on animating stuff like this.

Someone needs to get their priorities straight, even if this crowdfunding campaign succeeds, it only guarantees a total of 4 characters or so.

Dammit I cannot stop watching this. It also gives me an idea.

Imagine if we got teams of people, like Skullmageddon but teams of say 5-6 each, to design IKs kinda like for Skullgirls (let's say, last character only, less than 25% remaining, 3 bars to pull one off, but with less quality requirement because source teams). Then, we sell them at, like, 50p a pop or £2.00 for 5 (or some relatviely cheap price shceme). Make it so the command/ability is still in there so balance isn't changed, but keep the animation only for those who bought the DLC.

While none of the money from it would go to L0 admittedly (see spoiler)
For one last time:
Marvelous - paid for PC port, agreed to distribute 360 and JP-PS3 versions
pays some percentage of those sales to
Autumn - owns IP (handed over as part of the deal for them to finance the initial game, remember they put money down!) and gets paid for non-JP PS3 versions directly
pays zero to
Lab Zero - makes game (solely financed by IGG backers and working for love, thanks everyone!)
But, it's something flashy to put on youtube and can be used to draw more people into Skullgirls, and we can maybe give codes alongside 86'd shirts which is where the money actually comes in for the team. Thoughts?

It actually royally pisses me off that Benny is getting more priority than someone backers were promised, someone who's integral to the story, and already has a stage designed, and I see that their money is being used on story art(I think), but I think they should provide characters before providing story and worrying about that part later.
The previous IGG has a $5,000 tier that lets the backer submits their own character to be made into a playable character.

The fact that Max is getting his own character and got it pushed to the top of the queue to be developed for the game seems to imply that he is giving them a TON of money to help them out.

On top of that money they are still asking for more money to finish the development of the features that they were originally funded for on IGG.

Think about that.

Imagine if we got teams of people, like Skullmageddon but teams of say 5-6 each, to design IKs kinda like for Skullgirls (let's say, last character only, less than 25% remaining, 3 bars to pull one off, but with less quality requirement because source teams). Then, we sell them at, like, 50p a pop or £2.00 for 5 (or some relatviely cheap price shceme). Make it so the command/ability is still in there so balance isn't changed, but keep the animation only for those who bought the DLC.
But, it's something flashy to put on youtube and can be used to draw more people into Skullgirls, and we can maybe give codes alongside 86'd shirts which is where the money actually comes in for the team. Thoughts?

No. No no no no no.
Trust me on this, it's one thing to outsource 3 frame background animations to random volunteers, it's another thing entirely to try and ship full cinematic finishers for several reasons.

1) 3 frame animations are kind of nothing. I was totally willing to do them on a volunteer basis. It was a fun little addition to the game. If cinematic finishers were created by crowd sourcing, I would be horrified to see the animators not payed full animation contract fees for them. It doesn't matter if they'd be willing to do them for free or not - large scale animation should be payed for if actual contract animators are being paid for what they do.

2) The animation quality required for NPCs them was miniscule. Some breathing here, some bounce there. Finished. Virtually anyone can do that. Full, cinematic quality animations? That's a whooooole other ball game.

3) "less quality requirement because source teams" NO. Skullgirls is famous for its amazingly beautiful animation, and you want to add finishers that are flashier than the current in game stuff to be used for advertising, but a step down in animation quality?

So uh... yeah. I am totally not on board with this idea.

The previous IGG has a $5,000 tier that lets the backer submits their own character to be made into a playable character.
Oh wow, I totally forgot about that. This makes the Max situation way shadier than I thought.
EDIT: Wait, nevermind. I thought someone had bought that tier, but none were claimed. It's all good.

I'm Ryhan, Project Leader and Creator and Owner for the 2-D fighting game "Beast's Fury" that's currently in production i wanted to show off our progress please tell us what you think.

official trailer:
Youtube channel (basically our game production vlog): http://www.youtube.com/BeastsFuryGame

And our Kick Starter Campaign: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...sts-fury-going

As you can see, we've got a decent following with almost 1600 subscribers on YouTube, and almost as many followers on Facebook.

also Maximillian is helping us out

Thank you for your time.

We'll just have a mod merge the 2 threads, some of us have concerns that we would apreciate you to address.

Threads merged.

Id look into donating. I do like how it looks

Hello everyone, you're talking to one of the Developers here. I am Andrew Fein (40%Flashkick), and you all have very legitimate concerns, so I'll be answering your questions.

And to answer the other gentlemen; Yes. We -will- have hitstop, I did misunderstand what you meant the first time as I was at work and trying to type as quickly as I could before my break was over. The current builds don't show that though merely because we were focused on just making sure the animation were working without an issue. We had a ton of issues we were trying to stamp out before we get into the nitty-gritty of the programming.

Anyway, please post your questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.