• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beginner Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't speak to your MU specifically, but BB only has a few tricks and a ton of front loaded damage (that normalizes as the combo continues on).

From range, he only really has Giant Step and his armored moves. Get ready to chicken block Giant Step (you can do it on reaction) and pause a little bit after dashing/jumping forward. If he A-Trains or Brass, you can punish (watch for a super cancel). But from range, your goal is to move in to a confirm range and put the hurt on. Just do it slowly.

Up close, you need to punish him for pushing buttons (because there's a better than average chance that he's mashing SSJ or a light). I like to "drop" a combo into block to see what he's mashing. If it is a super, put the hurt on. If it is a light, step up your throw or fast reset game. I don't generally feel too pressured by him up close.

Reactions: Nonckiewicz
another trick i use is if the big band is getting low on life i will call assists and chicken block or just sit there trying to bait out ssj. thats around the time when bbs really start fishing for that big happy birthday. you may lose a lot of life off your assist or the assist all together but if you can kill BB and win the match its worth it. (if he is just one member on a team try not to lose your assists this way...)

Ok, thanks for help :)

Few questions left:
Chicken block? You mean jumping and blocking, right? Sometimes i do this, have to try more often :).
How to block Giant Step? Sometimes it feels like it does not matter if I block low of high - I got hit anyway :D. Close GS is a overhead? Far GS hits low? That is logical, but... i don't know...

I don't like Bella (i can't always get command grabs with lk+lp), but you right, she seams capable to cause BB some trouble.
Do i need to learn how to do 360? Because i'am a gamepad man, and 360 just don't work for me...
Are there some tricks to do FC on d-pad?

Close Giant Step is an Overhead. Far HK.Giant Step (the physical part doesn't hit you, the shockwave part does) is an unblockable, avoid it by jumping. Play the tutorials.

360 on pad is not hard, just practice.

Fukua and Parasoul are generally viewed as having really good matchups against BBand, but tierlists and matchups for low level play don't make a whole lot of sense.

Basic idea against BBand is that he will do a lot of things (Giant Step, Brass, A-Train) that all deal a lot of damage, but all of them hit either high or against the air and are punisheable on block.
So get into midrange (where HK.GiantStep is not unblockable anymore), standblock, and punish the bigband for the things he's doing.

Remember that any input issues you have disappear with time.

I wouldn't drop a character because you can't do 'x'. That's just a matter of experience.

you also dont need to play bella to beat big band, you just need to learn what your character can do to beat him. experiment online and in training mode to figure out what you can do to him.
chicken block in specific is holding up back.

I play bella on pad and she's easy. She essentially has one universal combo that everyone u
360s aren't necessary for bella since her other command grabs (qcf/qcb+throw) are significantly safer and generally more rewarding.

It should also be noted that 360s are simply "side-down-side-up"
Diagonals aren't necessary in SG just so keyboard players have an easier time. (something I don't agree with cuz my 360 execution just gets sloppier for other games with that kinda leniency but meh)

That said, character loyalty and learning the matchups is far more valuable than trying to counter pick in a team based game where assists are meant to cover weaknesses.

I'm not sure whether this should go in a combo thread but it seems like a fairly noobish question so I'll try my luck here.

Having a bit of trouble getting the timing right on a certain PW move, basically lk buer > xx fly > 3j.lp > c.lk, I can't seem to get the timing right, I manage to combo in the 3j.lp but if I do I'll mess up the c.lk or just miss the 3j.lp entirely. I've managed to do it in the past quite a few times but mostly due to luck more than timing memory. Just a few tips on how the timing should go on this, what to do instantly and about how much of a delay to leave between others.

So flight cancels in general and that cancel in specific is kind of the barrier of entry for PW.

There is no real secret to it, but it is the hurdle we all go through (so at least, know you are in good company). The closest to a trick is that you can buffer the flight input to make it easier, but other than that you'll just likely need to spend some time in training mode.

To help break it into parts, make sure you can immediately get into fly from lk.buer. Once that is sitting at a high accuracy, then work on the 3j.lp (also 6j.lk eventually).

I'd also work on trying to cancel out of s.hp, j.hp (you'll do this a lot after charging), j.hk (you'll do this to get two fast overheads), and eventually thresher super (nice to get a combo out of a thresher hit).

Like I said, you'll ultimately want to be comfortable canceling out of virtually everything as it will allow you to keep the pressure up or cover your ass (you'll know what I mean when eat a full combo because you're stuck in 6hk(x4) animation or your s.hp is blocked), but those I listed above will be the ones you will use in almost every match.

If you'd like to fuck around in a training match for some help, feel free to add me on steam (qspec). I play a decent PW.

I wouldn't drop a character because you can't do 'x'. That's just a matter of experience.
Just an update:

I don't like classic grapplers like gief, but Bella is very fun to play with. She is great.

It's not really getting into a flight cancel that's the hard part, I've generally gotten that down pretty decently (if I remember to do it, 3 straight hours in training doing pretty much the same thing can make you a little braindead), it's the follow-up that's giving me hell... Though only for buer oddly enough, a follow up from a hard attack doesn't really cause many issues, at least to the point where I can constantly just keep cancelling into it until the guy blocking either messes up or just gives up.

Alright, I've got an answer for you after booting it up and trying it out.

You need to do lk.buer > 6j.lk

You'll use 3j.lk after a s.hp which is a tad easier, though not by a ton.

If you are using this in your first chain, then I'd actually recommend skipping the lk.buer and just doing c.lk > c.mk > s.hp x fly > 3j.lk as you won't really miss out on the damage.

For example, doing just two chains into super:

c.lk > c.mk > s.hp x fly > 3j.lk > c.mk > s.hp > lk.buer > DC nets 5468
c.lk > c.mk > s.hp > lk.buer x fly > 6j.lk > c.mk > s.hp > lk.buer > DC nets 5537

For my complete bnb it actually does less (fractionally) as well as triggers green sparks before it is finished.
without it: 7390
with it: 7332 (green sparks occurring at like 5.5k)

Please help!
For the longest time I've been happy with my neutral game, but upon playing with a friend of mine and only winning 2 I realised that I need some help.
In neutral I make sure I always have a Day-out somewhere on the screen and I use J.mk or J.lk as my general jump-in attack.
So if you know anything to do with Bigband's neutral please tell me. :)

@Fumako

You're playing Big Band, part of your goal (in the way I like to play him at least) is making your opponent scared. You can accomplish a LOT with Big Band without going in right away or at all, though don't ignore the option, but he functions very well from almost full screen! Make them nervous of the unblockable fullsceen giant step and the ATrain moves. I can't offer much advice beyond that so..

@mcpeanuts @Icky

Reactions: Skymin50
I feel quite belittled right now. Last night I was in a room with a guy that would do nothing but j.HK with Bella. I would air throw him out of it, Updo assist call it, grab him with excellebella, I thought I had done everything to show this guy I could stop it, but I couldn't stop it 100% of the time. So he just kept doing it, over and over. If I'd pushblock, he'd just Ll'n'l back in and catch me trying to punish the jump in. I don't know if this was some higher level guy messing with my because he knew I wasn't stopping him or if it was how the person actually plays. I do know that someone better than me would have stopped him more often and not lost to this guy. We ran about 7-3 in his favor. I know I'm bad at fighting games, but this has just set me back mentally a long ways. I feel like I never learned how to stop the most basic things and it can be exploited, hard. I was running Pea(day out)Bella(Hl'n'l)Filia(HUpdo) and I could zone him for the most part and when I got a lnl crossup teleport it hit 90% of the time, but he would put me in a corner and just repeatedly jump in on me. I even PBGC'ed him more than once, still never stopped because I couldn't stop it every time and would get hit when I was pressing buttons trying to punish things that I probably had no way of punishing. So, other than git gud, and stop pressing so many buttons, how the hell did I get blown up by such a bad tactic?

I switched to Big Cock for the last few rounds and H Brass was putting him in his place, thought about using beat extend, which I feel might have been my best option.

Do you pushblock?
Just pushblock and call assists is the most basic thing you could do.
I was pushblocking most of them, yes, his lnl to get back in would beat updo some how and by the time my lnl came out he was in the air jumping over it with another j.HK. I would miss pushblocks, miss pbgc's, peacock has no true AA, and the block stun from j.HK is silly. He was doing the same thing with Fortune and hard tagging like it was no ones business when he wasn't attacking. I blocked and punished a lot of those.

stuff
j.hk had a pretty good hitbox but it doesnt extend very for horizontally. if you are midscreen you can usually backdash to avoid it if you see it coming soon enough. also try to block it while you are in the air. you should be able to do stuff on the way down from that (im pretty sure). you can also try to jump up with bella and hit/throw her out of the move start up. using updo against that would be ideal but make sure you time it correctly so you dont get happy birthdayed.
once you are in the corner, as soon as he jumps you should be able to get out. with bella you can just tumbling run out (this works well against bella because she doesnt have a lot of multi-hitting moves). with peacock you can teleport behind him as soon as he jumps. with filia you can try to do a h.hairball.

remember sweeps beat armor, so if he was consistently going for lnl after a pushblock just sweep him out of it. that should also get you some breathing room.

also dont be afraid to counter this with a super if you have stock. diamond dynamo should wreck this guy and fenrir drive should get the job done too.

{in response to your second post}
lnl has armor, so updo wont beat it. try to updo the j.hk.
a trick i like to use is to call lnl assist as they are jumping in them pushblock them back so they get hit by it when it finally comes out. doesnt always work but when it does its hilarious.

Thought about asking this in the Ms. Fortune section or starting a new topic, but figured it's safer here. I searched the forums for adc & air dash cancel, but didn't find anything. Some of my mains don't do them, which makes it simple (BB & Bella). Fortune can use it though.
Past few weekends I put a little time in Training to try & pull it off, but so far it hasn't worked.

I wonder if other people have a tough time as well. jHP, adc, jHP is one lisited in a combo.
So I press HP (R1 on the PS3 pad... wish I had a fight stick), them LP & MP, then HP. PP is the method suggested on the forum, but so far, nothing. Tried Peacock's combo w/an adc as well.
I guess it has to be done really fast (1 frame link?). Or maybe my timing's a bit off.
Thanks for reading.

If it helps, I'm learning MF and the timing on it in combos was giving me fits initially. I just moved to training mode and spend about 30 minutes there tightening up my execution.

I was practicing lk.Fiber > j.hp x iad > j.hp > mk.axe > c.mp over and over and over. I'm still not anywhere close to 100% (the goal), but I hit it more than I drop it now.

I do mine by double tapping the stick instead of PP, but I think PP would be easier (I'm using the stick because I've heard Blazblue doesn't allow PP macros for IAD, so I might as well learn to do it the hard way if I want to pick it up).

The long story made short though? Go to training and work your ass off. Execution comes with time.

Reactions: Nevins
If it helps, I'm learning MF and the timing on it in combos was giving me fits initially. I just moved to training mode and spend about 30 minutes there tightening up my execution.

I was practicing lk.Fiber > j.hp x iad > j.hp > mk.axe > c.mp over and over and over. I'm still not anywhere close to 100% (the goal), but I hit it more than I drop it now.

I do mine by double tapping the stick instead of PP, but I think PP would be easier (I'm using the stick because I've heard Blazblue doesn't allow PP macros for IAD, so I might as well learn to do it the hard way if I want to pick it up).

The long story made short though? Go to training and work your ass off. Execution comes with time.
OK, got it. Thanks!

stuff

you didnt say this in your post so i thought id just reply to be safe.
if you are using a pad you might want to think about using a pp macro. makes the timing a lot easier.

you didnt say this in your post so i thought id just reply to be safe.
if you are using a pad you might want to think about using a pp macro. makes the timing a lot easier.

Yeah, I'll give that a try as well. It means using one of the assist buttons (L1 or L2), but that's OK. Teams of 1 & 2 are cool if I need that for optimal Fortune play.

Yeah, I'll give that a try as well. It means using one of the assist buttons (L1 or L2), but that's OK. Teams of 1 & 2 are cool if I need that for optimal Fortune play.
You can play a team of 3 just fine.

Bind one of the macros to PP and then activate the other assist with a face button + shoulder button.

Or, if you're using a pad, you could use the right stick for calling assists.

So I kept getting hit by an assist on incoming, basically Cerecopter in the corner. How do I block that? As a normal or as a crossup? (I think Scabby was trying to teach me about that incoming setup, but I never ended up learning how to defend against it)

You block it as a normal.

It can hit you if you are up-back'ing on wakeup though.

So I kept getting hit by an assist on incoming, basically Cerecopter in the corner. How do I block that? As a normal or as a crossup? (I think Scabby was trying to teach me about that incoming setup, but I never ended up learning how to defend against it)

ehh it really depends on when the cerecopter comes out and where the point character is and who you are... but it can be a crossup depending on factors.

Reactions: erkicman
ehh it really depends on when the cerecopter comes out and where the point character is and who you are... but it can be a crossup depending on factors.

That probably explains why I kept getting crossed up. Never thought to look at the point character...

Yeah, crossups always rely on where the point character is, not where assists are.

Is there a quick crash course on what sort of assists some characters are best for? E.g. Parasoul's Napalm Pillar or Filia's Updo are nice for x, etc. I've been looking into building past a solo character but I can't fathom expanding my roster.

Is there a quick crash course on what sort of assists some characters are best for? E.g. Parasoul's Napalm Pillar or Filia's Updo are nice for x, etc. I've been looking into building past a solo character but I can't fathom expanding my roster.
Can't really recommend anything since it depends on your play-style, so tell us who you want assists for and how you generally play. :)

if i had to categorize assist types they would be:
reversal: any invincible move you can call out to break pressure (eg updo, pillar, hornet bomber etc)
lockdown: multi hitting assits that give you time to set stuff up (cerecopter, fortune s.hk, pw c.mp (or is it c.mk?)
pressure: assists that reach across the screen an help you get openings to move in on your opponent (most fireball assits, hairball, hornet bomber, lock and load)
mixup: assits that hit low or high or grabs that you can use as a mixup. (val c.mk, any grab, parasoul back.hk)
combo extender: any assist used primarily to extend a combo (can be anything... depends on your combo)

a lot of assists will fit into multiple categories. hairball works well for pressure and lockdown. drillationship works well for reversal and lockdown and somewhat for pressure. what assists you pick really depend on what you feel you need in your gameplay. i play filia/bella and i feel like i need a pressure/lockdown assist for bella more than a reversal so i use filia's h.hairball instead of updo.

I haven't played SG in a while, but - anyone know is BB/Eliza is a viable team? I'd love to use Eliza with BB if possible, but I'm just wondering.

Why does "is this team viable?" keep coming up?

Here's the post for the most commonly asked questions:

Every team is viable.
Yes, you can play either on a gamepad or a stick. Hell, you can play on a keyboard or a DDR pad if you want. It's all down to preference.
Go to the character specific sub-forums. Find the combo thread. Learn the basic BnB in there.
Learning proper movement and spacing is more important than learning a high execution combo. Just learn something basic that'll serve you until you learn neutral.
No, Peacock isn't broken. She's the scrub killer. You need to learn to use your character's tools to get in.

EDIT: I now really want to try playing on a DDR pad with bella. Fuck churning butter, ima river dance my way to some 360s

Last edited:
well, you can use chair rush to help parasoul get in and napalm pillar as a true dp for eliza. so sure why not.

lol
You can't use DDR pad.
Maybe two DDR, one as d-pad, second as buttons (and you still will be two buttons, short).

But olny one DDR - no way.

I haven't played SG in a while, but - anyone know is BB/Eliza is a viable team? I'd love to use Eliza with BB if possible, but I'm just wondering.
The answer is yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.