• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beginner Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about the "all teams are viable" bit, unless we mean "all teams are viable but some are more viable than others."

I do agree with the sentiment that you can make any team work and even perform at a decent level.

That said, if you are looking to play seriously, you are almost certainly going to need a defensive assist (an invuln assist). I don't know off hand, but was there one team at Evo top 8 or 16 that didn't have an invulnerable assist?

I also don't agree that ALLLL teams are viable.

But BB/Eliza is viable.

From the sound of it Eliza is going to hard carry any team? Early reports seem to indicate that she is damn strong, no?

From the sound of it Eliza is going to hard carry any team? Early reports seem to indicate that she is damn strong, no?
Are her hitboxes final?

If her hitboxes are final, yeah she is absolutely nuts.

Otherwise nah. She doesn't have the most super amazing pressure you've seen and up close you can challenge most of her stuff.

Her strenghts are that she is very difficult to keep away and her normals in the air are pretty much beating everything out right now.

If you pushblock her ground pressure, she doesn't really have any safe options so you can force sekhmet out of her and probably still get a throw punish.

She has pretty poor mobility so it isn't difficult to predict her vectors, it is just getting in the right position to beat out her crazy high priority massive normals is difficult right now.

Tomo is right in that we have to wait and see if her hitboxes/hurtboxes are final. If they are, then shes absolutely broken right now. If they arent, shes still exceptionally strong as long as her hurtboxes and hitboxes overlap each other on the same frames, if her hurtboxes extend and are hittable before her active frames go active then she will lose almost ol of her priority and she will have received a huge nerf. And similarly, if her actives go active before her hurtboxes... Then she will still be ridiculously good. I dont see her hurtboxes getting extended out before her active frames so i expect that most of her moves will resemble squiglys j.hp in terms of being able to be beaten.

Well thats what i hope anyways. I have a sneaky suspicion that the vote characters are being made strong because vote, and also to perhaps give them ways to challenge the 2 plus years of meta that the og cast comes with. But i could be wrong. I'm refusing to play against Eliza for now though... I dont like not being able to interact with my opponents moves in a priority way.

I hope she takes a leaf out of Jedah's book, keep the hitboxes massive on her normals (I like the size of j.HP) but make the hurtboxes similarly sized or even slightly slightly larger, so if you are spacing correctly against her, she will lose to appropriate counterpokes, without losing the strength of really long normals.

I hope she takes a leaf out of Jedah's book, keep the hitboxes massive on her normals (I like the size of j.HP) but make the hurtboxes similarly sized or even slightly slightly larger, so if you are spacing correctly against her, she will lose to appropriate counterpokes, without losing the strength of really long normals.

Agreed, though i believe that she deserves to have hurtboxes in front of her hitboxes because of the ability to airdash cancel those huge hitboxes. If she didnt have airdash cancel i think her hurtboxes like they are or SLIGHTLY nerfed, would be fine.

I mean imagine parasouls j.hp or j.lp being airdash cancelable and yet not having the weakness that j.hp gives a techable knockdown... Thats what Eliza's j.hp is currently. And her j.mk, j.hk and j.lk arent far off.

I could start a new topic, or just ask here: How do you choose your team order? Start w/your best character first for momentum?
You can see who my three mains are, plus Bella. I do solo, and 2-3 person teams... I guess Peacock builds meter quick, though, so maybe she should be first when on a team.

I could start a new topic, or just ask here: How do you choose your team order? Start w/your best character first for momentum?
You can see who my three mains are, plus Bella. I do solo, and 2-3 person teams... I guess Peacock builds meter quick, though, so maybe she should be first when on a team.
Nah team order generally has a purpose.

With your team I would run it
Cock/Fortune/Big Band

The reason is that you would have Cock who is a brilliant start of round character and battery with both a good space filling horizontal and vertical assist. The team is front loaded and it is gonna hurt your opponent pretty badly.

Fortune second is not a super common thing, because she has no safe DHC and generally doesn't need too much meter or an assist, but on your team you may want to DHC out after an argus hits if Peacock is running low. Fortune/Brass Knuckles is an odd combination and honestly it isn't the greatest assist for her, but it will help you push your opponent into the corner. SSJ DHC should help you confirm kills of fewer resets which is, I guess a slight issue for Fortune sometimes.

Big Band is brass knuckles. He is the best assist for Peacock and the synergy between those 2 is going to carry your team. You actually never want to play solo BB because he's pretty bad on his own. However if you DHCd from Fortune into BB, BB backed by Fiber Upper HK wouldn't be bad still and Fortune is capable anchor in herself.

You could also run it Cock/Band/Fortune, the previous order would just be my preference.

Reactions: Nevins
Thanks guys. Great info, Tomo. And since Bella is my 4th (still can't decide on only three), maybe I'd put her in the 2nd or 3rd slot. Looking forward to some weekend gameplay again.

lol
You can't use DDR pad.
Maybe two DDR, one as d-pad, second as buttons (and you still will be two buttons, short).

But olny one DDR - no way.
DDR_Pad.jpg

Reactions: Spencer
This is going to sound very nooby of me....But sometimes I have trouble with Cerebella. I actually rather play against Peacock than Cerebella because she is fun and kinda easy for me to beat. Cerebella is annoying, because I absolutely hate to be grabbed, not to mention the damage - it is infuriating! I know with Parasoul/Filia/Fukua I can keep her away with my tears, egret calls, ringlet spike, love darts and the like but there are times some Bellas manage to get in close with that tumble run, makes it unpredictable and I am toast. If I try to jump in, there's the anti-air grab Bella has - and I'm caught. Just looking for some ways to get around these things.

so, the anti air grab is only unblockable if you're on the way up in a jump. you can jump in on her fairly freely. As for footsie stuff, it's kind of a lot of the standard grappler stuff with the addition of knowing that there are effectively 2 grab ranges for bella. At point blank, she can diamond drop, at arm's length, she can merry-go-rilla. If you dance back and forth between the two, it's hard for her to know which command grab to do.

My bella's still pretty raw, but that's what i've learned so far.

I'm trying to figure out safe ways to switch my characters (currently Fortune/Filia). I know about DHC and nom seems to work too at the cost of wasting a huge opening, but are there any better options? Immediately following a launch or grab maybe?

There isn't a great meterless way to tag. It always comes with an inherent risk... namely that it is super punishable if blocked or whiff. You can usually find an opening after a hard knockdown or various other moves, but even that isn't a guarantee.

If you want to raw tag and not get wrecked, you're going to have to work it into a combo, which won't be easy.

or if you are full screen you can decide its worth taking some damage to tag out. it really ends up being situational.
with filia you can probably do a s.hk > tag and get out during the sliding knockdown as long as you haven't used your otg yet.

Iknow this is kind of a dumb question, but I can't find the answer anywhere.

Where do I select voicepacks in-game?

there currently are no voicepacks in the game. but i am guessing when there are they will either be in the settings menu or at character select.

Placed this in the Game Improvement Thread, but its been inactive for a few days and no one seems to use it much. So thought I'd put my vid here (forgive me if this is a bad place):

How's that?

It took 2 weeks for fenster to respond to my video, and he made the best post on all of SH. Patience is a virtue ^_^
You could also help making the thread more active by posting advice on other people's videos on there..

It took 2 weeks for fenster to respond to my video, and he made the best post on all of SH. Patience is a virtue ^_^
You could also help making the thread more active by posting advice on other people's videos on there..

On a similar note... Ive been trying and failing to upload about 10 minutes of my parasoul against folks Eliza. I lose the set 9-2 but it isnt all in the vid. Unfortunately my internet is fucking terrible and even if the upload would go through it still takes about 4 hours or more to upload and if my wonky ass internet cuts out for even a second i have to do it all over again.

So far ive tried about 4 times and got as far as 75% done before my internet crapped out.

I guess its just as well though... The games are very bad on my end. I'll keep trying but it doesnt look like it will go through before i have to go to work in a few days.

But thats... Work... Sigh... I guess i can do that.

So since I am getting trashed by the AI with Eliza and Squigly and I just managed to complete all Storys I kinda fell for Double and Val. and I am now testing Eliza, Double and Val since Val is fast, Double is good against the AI of Filia and Ceb. since they block all day and Eliza for full force attack... at least that´s how I think it is(works ok right now, need to get used to the tag team dynamic and the lower health). But is that team really worth putting the time into? Will it actually be viable if I someday decide to venture out into the MP?

Also: I often end up sitting next to Filia/Fukua who are blocking and cant manage to get out of it since I get punished no matter what, any attacks that blockstun long enough to get out?

I am having trouble using PushBlock Guard Cancel and sometimes even Absolute Guard (or is it Block?). Yes, I did look at the video SH member Age has created, I'm just not doing it correctly.

If anyone can assist me with this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I am having trouble using PushBlock Guard Cancel and sometimes even Absolute Guard
....Assist me
Any more information you can give?
Note that PBGC is impractical and dangerous to do against some moves. It all depends on the Hitstop since that extends or shortens the Pushblock animation.

Ex: If you're trying to PBGC into a standing level 3 but you're in like 50 frames of Hitstop from 214 Sekhment assist, it's easy to c.LK you while you try and mash or time the input of the level 3.
Practice doing PBGC against common assists or lockdown blockstrings so that you're comfortable with the timing, if you're not you will get hit way more than if you were to just keep blocking instead.

The only time I /really/ feel comfortable with a PBGC is against Hornet, Copter, PW c.Mp, Parasoul Hp Hp L Shot etc and stuff I've practiced.

As far as Absolute Guard goes, make the Painwheel AI in training room call Filia c.Mk assist, the fly, the do j.HK before Filia c.Mk assist ends and practice doing it consistently.
Another good thing to practice is AG during catheads and at the end of Parasoul Level 3 just before she goes for the c.Lk, f.Lp, or throw.

Can someone point me in the right direction of video(s) showing PBGC being use in the correct way?

Tournaments or Casual matches is what I'm mainly looking for.

So since I am getting trashed by the AI with Eliza and Squigly and I just managed to complete all Storys I kinda fell for Double and Val. and I am now testing Eliza, Double and Val since Val is fast, Double is good against the AI of Filia and Ceb. since they block all day and Eliza for full force attack... at least that´s how I think it is(works ok right now, need to get used to the tag team dynamic and the lower health). But is that team really worth putting the time into? Will it actually be viable if I someday decide to venture out into the MP?

Also: I often end up sitting next to Filia/Fukua who are blocking and cant manage to get out of it since I get punished no matter what, any attacks that blockstun long enough to get out?
Valentine and Double is fine, ideally Val/Filia/Double. (In that order)

Also I'm going to tell you this now but if you ever decide to play MP, people are not robots and will not react nor play like the CPU.

Can someone point me in the right direction of video(s) showing PBGC being use in the correct way?

Tournaments or Casual matches is what I'm mainly looking for.

Not actual gameplay, but it explains the mechanic very well. Finding a match with PBGC is gonna be a bit like finding a good example of alpha counter use. It's out there, but it's not a super common tactic.

Reactions: Slap and Israel
...i have a match where i pbgc like 5 times to make a comeback from a pixel of life... If i can find it on my hard drive i will try to upload it. Though i dont think seeing pbgc will help much.

Reactions: Israel
*PBGC Video*

Thanks for vid,I just wanna to see what PBGC looks like visually and tournament casual matches kind of pop in my head first.Since people talk about PBGC a lot in match-ups etc I would assume I would it alot....thats all.

Though i dont think seeing pbgc will help much.

See the thing is I'm a visually type of guy when I'm practicing something.You can put it in words for me,but I'm still gonna need something visual to confirm what it looks like and how to perform it correctly.

it is easier to recognize now that it has a green flash

See the thing is I'm a visually type of guy when I'm practicing something.You can put it in words for me,but I'm still gonna need something visual to confirm what it looks like and how to perform it correctly.
Why do you need to see it in a match though? The training room shows it really well with a big green flash and you practice against a lot of different set ups.

[Link] Painwheel PBGC's against Hornet Bomber in a match.

Much Better Example:

Reactions: gllt
Why do you need to see it in a match though?

I just wanna to see what PBGC looks like visually and tournament & casual matches kind of pop in my head first.

I just wanna to see what PBGC looks like visually
The training room shows it really well with a big green flash and you practice against a lot of different set ups.
Either way you have both now. GL.

Reactions: Israel
Why do you need to see it in a match though? The training room shows it really well with a big green flash and you practice against a lot of different set ups.

[Link] Painwheel PBGC's against Hornet Bomber in a match.

Much Better Example:

Cool, never seen Double's cat heads PBGCed 0.0 Thanks for posting.

Reactions: gllt
fair warning, cat heads is reeeeeeeeally dangerous to PBGC since they don't need to be close to be hitting you.

Status
Not open for further replies.